Midwife Recommendations in Mount Vernon, Skagit, Bellingham? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OMG, I'm about the do the crunchiest thing I've ever done: I'm going to switch from an OB to a midwife. Craaazy. Haha. If any of you are Northern Washington locals, I'd LOVE some ideas and recommendations for midwives in the area. There seem to be a ton to choose from and I'm way overwhelmed. 

I'm not actually very crunchy at all, so I don't need a super-crunch midwife. I just want to survive birth (this is my first) with my lovely, functional, continent vagina & perineum intact (i.e., I'm terrified of tearing!!). I've read some great studies showing that working with a midwife is a great way to accomplish that. I'd also love to hear some experiences with midwives, if you want to share! Guess I'm greedy for info-- and I just joined.  Tsk tsk tsk.

Thanks WA ladies!

P.S. Sorry for referring to my perineum as lovely. Upon re-read, I realize that might not be the 100% truth, haha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM

I'm interested in hearing recommendations/experiences too! So far I've narrowed it down to just the women who have privileges at the Bellingham Birth Center because that's where I'd like to give birth. Here's a list of all those midwives:

http://www.bellinghambirthcenter.com/meet%20the%20midwives.html

I'm meeting with Ann Tive and Jessie Bradley tomorrow and I'm meeting with Allison Watkins on Thursday and I'll probably meet a couple more before making a decision. Allison was really nice on the phone but that's about all I can say so far!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi!

It's been a while since I've lived over there but I had the most amazing midwife ever for my first baby: Charlotte!  She's been practicing midwifery since 1987 and works out of several birth centers and comes to your home if you'd like and it looks like she still does.

http://thespecialdeliveryco.com/

Her site says she covers Everett, Arlington, Camano Island, Stanwood, Mt. Vernon, and the Greater Seattle Area.

She also had permissions to stay with you at several area Hospitals should the need arise.

I adored her and if we still lived on the west side of Washington I would have continued to work with her.  It was absolutely amazing.  She was wonderful at talking with us as intelligent adults (we were 20 and 22 at the time), asking us what we wanted and making us feel very comfortable.  She knew a lot and certainly had her own opinions on lots of things but kept everything to the basics: homebirth without interference unless medically and immediately necessary, breastfeeding if possible.  I even tore with DD1 (she came really fast) just the tiniest bit and she just stitched me back up, neat and tidy, hardly felt a thing.

I think you'll find them to be wonderful, practical, loving, helpful and amazing people!  I Hope you find the perfect person for you!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 AM

No, no, no, no. Stay far away from Charlotte. Far, far away. She's dangerous and shockingly incompetent. It's so scary to me that she's still practicing.

User Tag List