Are there crunchy/liberal/green areas in Idaho? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, I'm seriously asking. Stop laughing and rolling your eyes! There HAS to be at last 1 place:)

Seriously?
#2 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Crunchy and natural-minded, yes.   There's pockets everywhere, you just have to do some poking around.

Liberal...  the prevailing attitude is likely too DIY/personal responsibility for that to *really* take hold I think (except maybe in Boise where the bulk of politicians are, or Sandpoint where the rich people are pricing out the regular/normal people that had made it a cute town before it was invaded/made popular).  Heck, I only know one friend out of, well, more than one, that actually likes their HOA.  The other 50-some friends/acquaintances of mine detest their HOA's, the rest (like myself) don't have one.  :D  Most folks like not having numerous people all up in their business and being able to go do their own thing.  When there's folks like farmers and gunsmiths and a few small business owners (there's still annoying red tape) and more CSA's popping up... things are kinda fun.
There's even a few counties where the building codes are, ahem, a little more relaxed than rigid, so folks can add on/fix/redneck it up as need be without it costing an entire fortune like in most other places (granted, resale on those likely won't be awesome, but in theory it's *their* land to do whatever with) - kinda like how my grandparents raised four boys in a modified chicken coop way back in the day.

If you want more liberal, you may want to head to western Washington, or the west side of Oregon (or California), or maybe Wyoming.  The staunch democrats I've known haven't entirely loved it here, or talked of moving to someplace like Portland or whatever (except things cost twice as much there).

countryangels likes this.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

What counties are more relaxed? I know Kootenai is a PITA, I'm guessing Benewah is more relaxed? Got some serious redneck/hobo type places on the 3 on the way to St Maries. I think its the 3, still haven't gotten my highways straight. I've never been a member of a HOA, wouldn't even be on my radar, you can be liberal and not legislate everything to death. I just don't really fit in up here and the whole personal responsibility thing is baffling to me. I'm used to everyone taking care of each other making sure everyone at least had food and heat and medical care was seen as a basic right. Maybe I came from an unusual community but its been almost a year and I'm still experiencing culture shock. I had planned on doing a roadside stand with organic veggies that are grown hydroponically that are decently priced but I'm not sure that would fly up here and its not like the sun ever comes out, I've talked to the produce guys at the stores a couple of times and people don't really buy produce up here, of course it also dang expensive, $3 for a head of iceberg is insane! Thats something I'm used to paying 50 cents for. Land and rent is also insane, the place we have now is considered a steal, especially for being out on the lake (was the cheapest place we could find anywhere), I paid the same in CA for a better place, well, at least a warmer place and utilities were 1/4 what I pay here. If I owned this place it wouldn't be so bad, I'd insulate the bleep out of it and install a rocket mass heater, neither of which I can do here since its a rental. I'm not a fan of city life but lack of like minded people and driving an hour to the grocery store is annoying and its bloody expensive! Yeah, I know, I should move. I'm trying! Just trying to figure out where and I refuse to go back to CA. Crime is getting insane there due to the drugs.

Seriously?
#4 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We're in north idaho. To answer your question, I would say not really, definitely not, and no. 😋 And the average north idahoan that I know would answer " if yer looking for that, ya better go to California". wink1.gif

We've sold at a farmers market and even I was shocked at the lack of "greenness". Almost nobody knew what a free range egg is or that it "is still possible" to bake homemade bread!

Wonderful, generous, kind people up here though. As long as you're not a liberal.
LOL!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#5 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've slowly been finding the liberal folks, best bets are Sandpoint and Moscow but I really don't want to deal with their winters.

Seriously?
#6 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

Crunchy and natural-minded, yes.   There's pockets everywhere, you just have to do some poking around.

Liberal...  the prevailing attitude is likely too DIY/personal responsibility for that to *really* take hold I think (except maybe in Boise where the bulk of politicians are, or Sandpoint where the rich people are pricing out the regular/normal people that had made it a cute town before it was invaded/made popular).  Heck, I only know one friend out of, well, more than one, that actually likes their HOA.  The other 50-some friends/acquaintances of mine detest their HOA's, the rest (like myself) don't have one.  :D  Most folks like not having numerous people all up in their business and being able to go do their own thing.  When there's folks like farmers and gunsmiths and a few small business owners (there's still annoying red tape) and more CSA's popping up... things are kinda fun.
There's even a few counties where the building codes are, ahem, a little more relaxed than rigid, so folks can add on/fix/redneck it up as need be without it costing an entire fortune like in most other places (granted, resale on those likely won't be awesome, but in theory it's *their* land to do whatever with) - kinda like how my grandparents raised four boys in a modified chicken coop way back in the day.

If you want more liberal, you may want to head to western Washington, or the west side of Oregon (or California), or maybe Wyoming.  The staunch democrats I've known haven't entirely loved it here, or talked of moving to someplace like Portland or whatever (except things cost twice as much there).

Why is it that almost every house has an HOA? I would think that if people do NOT like others in their business, they would not have them. The amount of HOA's seems odd....

Also, do you get a lot of people coming over from Spokane there? Does it increase the crime there? Thanks in advance.

#7 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

I've slowly been finding the liberal folks, best bets are Sandpoint and Moscow but I really don't want to deal with their winters.

I think that the deal with Moscow is because of the College.

And in the case of Sandpoint, I have heard of several conservatives moving there, with  crunchy tastes, meaning they are socially, fiscally conservative, but they like organic food, some may even grow their own food, etc. They want the government out of their guns, they do not want to be taxed to death, pro life as well. They might even be into attachment parenting, but they are Christians. Some are Evangelical Christians, some are Catholics. But, I think you are right, North Idaho is colder than other parts of Oregon, WA or California.

#8 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

We're in north idaho. To answer your question, I would say not really, definitely not, and no. 😋 And the average north idahoan that I know would answer " if yer looking for that, ya better go to California". wink1.gif

We've sold at a farmers market and even I was shocked at the lack of "greenness". Almost nobody knew what a free range egg is or that it "is still possible" to bake homemade bread!

Wonderful, generous, kind people up here though. As long as you're not a liberal.
LOL!

See, I thought since most of Idaho is so self sufficient, that they would grow their own veggies, bake their bread, can their food, etc. :)

Thanks for your post. I think, from what I have read that Idaho is the most conservative state in the country. 

#9 of 10 Old 06-05-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boise is pretty alright. I am also not a city girl, but here I am in the city. I have been here for about a year and a half, and for a city it's pretty relaxed. We are about a mile and a half from downtown (so we can walk to the farmer's markets) and there are "farm" animals in all directions of us -horses, llamas/alpacas, ducks, chickens, sheep, goats... It makes living in the city work for us.
#10 of 10 Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Definitely around Moscow and yeah, it's definitely been influenced by the presence of two universities. Definitely ALL SORTS of folks around here. I actually live just outside of Pullman (the neighboring college town in WA: WSU) and it's pretty similar: much more liberally minded, crunchy, etc in part because of the university's presence.

I really like it here because, for me, it's a nice blend of the "two" sides. (like there's only two, right?) There are three farmers' markets between the two cities. We sell at all three of them and the sheer variety of folks that come through each week is amazing! If you ever wanted to people watch for the variety, hit the Saturday Moscow market.

There seems to be lots of folks who are very "redneck" and just want to be left alone. Some of those folks live in the cities, some waaaaay away from the city and you'd never know they're there unless you are on the neighboring property.

Also lots of folks who are the classic image of green or crunchy or whatever.

and tons of folks, like me, who fall somewhere in the middle: green, crunchy, "leave-me-alone", conservative, liberal, all in the same individual for all sorts of reasons.

It's pretty funny: one of our neighboring vendors at the farmers' market hires a number of kids for their business from one of the tiny towns near them and they have to be careful which of those kids they bring to markets in general but the saturday market in moscow in particular because there is a huge openly gay community there and a number of the hired kids simply don't have any idea how to deal with gay folks and have pretty humorous reactions. (not that i'd be laughing at anyone's personal challenges...)

If you can foster an "each to their own" type of attitude, you'd probably love it here too!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page