Mothering Forum banner

WA public school. How to get around VAXing?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mamabugs 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this information for me. I have a 5 year old entering public school this fall and I sent in my form signed by my childs physician and me about being exempt for Vaxing for personal reasons. I just recieved a letter in the mail stating that I must get 22 doses of all the vaccines to attend this public school in September. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was wondering if our state law has changed and it has not so I'm wondering why they sent me this letter. I'm very upset by this and hope it will not get in our way...
thank you!!!

marcy

#2 ·
I think you need to contact them. I did some brief research around the WA doh site, including news releases for immunizations with (posts in April 2014) and saw nothing about new requirements for public schools.

Maybe yours was overlooked? As far as I know, everything is the same as last year.

ETA: if you don't get a clear "yea or nay" here, trying posting over in I'm Not Vaccinating.

#4 ·
I taught in Vancouver, WA for 6 years but live in OR. WA state allows philosophical vaccination exemptions and schools are required to accept them. Head to this website for more info:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/Immunization/FormsandPublications/Forms

You turn that into the school along with any vaccines your child does have. I will say that you will probably still receive letters from the school and health department regardless of any legal exemption forms you sign, but he/she will still be allowed in school unless there's an outbreak of something he/she isn't vaccinated with. I signed an exemption for Oregon for my son's daycare this past year and I have received four letters from the health department and got three from his daycare saying he'd be excluded, but I simply talked to them and explained that I had turned in the formal exemption form from the state and they said they have to send the letters as part of their policy. It's a scare tactic I'm sure.

I'm not sure if this is an updated form, but it's at least an example of one that you'd turn in with the rest of the paperwork for registration:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/348-106_CertificateofExemption.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.