Mothering Forum banner

Asians in Portland vs. Eugene?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LTurtle 
#1 ·
Hi wise PNW mamas!
My family and I are considering relocating to the Portland suburbs OR Eugene (really close to the university). I am from So Cal, so there are tons of different ethnicities and cultures... but I'm wondering about the diversity of Portland and Eugene? I know that it is not as much of a melting pot as California, but please tell me there's enough of a representation of minorities, particularly Asians? I love the idea of both areas, but I don't want to feel like a complete (unwelcome?) outsider (or have my kids feel really out of place). :bag

Any advice, personal experiences, neighborhood recommendations, insight from families (Asian or other) would be so appreciated!

Thanks so much! :love

#4 ·
I have lived in both places and while Portland is pretty darn white it is much more diverse than Eugene. There are Asian language immersion programs in the public schools (Mandarin and Japanese), neighborhoods with high Asian populations, and lots of students at PSU from Asian countries. Seattle is more diverse than Portland, especially in the Asian community, but Portland isn't bad.
Also people here tend to be really nice and open minded. I suspect there would be more of an issue about you being from California than your (or your kids) ethnicity.

ETA: I'm happy to answer other questions or go into more detail if you like. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.