Ack! It's August Already, PDX Mamas! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Oh No! The Great Bed Battle revisited???

I think I had to go to bed at 8 or so when I was 5. But it sucked. I think my insomnia started right around then.
Bre and Alex supposedly go to bed at 8:30. They were both doing great over the winter. Then summer hit and I am lucky to get them in bed at all.

I hope it goes back to easier bedtimes come winter.
#302 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 AM

It probably will, Tina. I know sunlight plays a major role in Lily not wanting to sleep. It's just hard on their confused little systems.

I don't remember this from when I was a kid in CA, but I also don't remember the sun staying up longer than 8 PM there.
#303 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
It probably will, Tina. I know sunlight plays a major role in Lily not wanting to sleep. It's just hard on their confused little systems.

I don't remember this from when I was a kid in CA, but I also don't remember the sun staying up longer than 8 PM there.
Northern Cali or Southern? Central Cali the sun set by 8:30 on the 4th of July. Fireworks by 9. It might have even been earlier on Southern Cali.

Before we moved up here DH told me it would be light later. I thought he was on crack. Seriously WHY would it be light later?

Then we got here and one day it was 10pm and I was like WTF? I never realized the closer to the poles you were the longer/shorter the daylight. Oh yea.. I knew about the 24 hour nights/days in Alaska, but this is Oregon, not Alaska.
#304 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 AM

so, i am just psyched about something, two somethings, i must share. 1, i was able to help DHs friend get his son out of his booster seat and into a 5pt harness. (he is 3.5 btw!!!) so i possibly saved his sons life. YAY!
yes, i am so totally doing self back pats

second, next month i am going to speak on a panel of moms who have nursed through different struggles, ie, preemies, multiples, bfar, etc.
i am SO excited about it!!!! DH will have both girls, by himself. at OMSI, for the first time ever. i mean first time ever out of the house with both of them by himself.
i will just nurse Niamh before i go in, and he can put her in the Sachi, and she can nap on Daddy whil Addy runs amok upstairs.
but dudes! i totally get to do something cool! i get to talk about my boobs for 15 minutes

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#305 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
so, i am just psyched about something, two somethings, i must share. 1, i was able to help DHs friend get his son out of his booster seat and into a 5pt harness. (he is 3.5 btw!!!) so i possibly saved his sons life. YAY!

second, next month i am going to speak on a panel of moms who have nursed through different struggles, ie, preemies, multiples, bfar, etc.
i am SO excited about it!!!! DH will have both girls, by himself. at OMSI, for the first time ever. i mean first time ever out of the house with both of them by himself.
i will just nurse Niamh before i go in, and he can put her in the Sachi, and she can nap on Daddy whil Addy runs amok upstairs.
but dudes! i totally get to do something cool! i get to talk about my boobs for 15 minutes

that is very cool tiff! can i ask about the panel? more info??
#306 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 AM

Dixie is leading it. its for students becoming LCs, as far as i know.
i am super excited i love sharing the BFAR love!!!

i am still on the hunt for a long term donor. found a possible donor for longterm starting the end of this month, but its only 6-10oz a day. Niamh is taking about 20 a day right now. even with the only nursing down for naps and bedtime/nightime and all the solids food she eats. she still needs 20 oz of supp, or more a day.
and thats if i am taking all my herbs and dpd, and eating oats and drinking tea, and smelling like a frackin maplebar.
*sigh*
sometimes its hard to not have a bajillion regrets about that damned surgery.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#307 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What time do you guys normally have to go to bed, Beth?
I try to be in bed 9-9:30 usually. Sprogly sometimes stays up later, though he seems to prefer to go to bed with me. It's hard for him to settle down, which can be a problem, because I need my sleep and I don't want to play. Once he does settle down, he sleeps well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
are quaaludes still around? or are they a thing of the past?
I have no idea, I'm probably dating myself by mentioning them.
#308 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Nico quasi-slept through the night. : : that this becomes a regular thing.

I think it helped that I got into bed with him for a couple of hours before switching to the couch. He seemed happy to find me in bed the times that he half woke up, and was able to drift off to sleep immediately after making skin contact. I'm so happy! Previously, as soon as he felt me he would lunge under my shirt and it would be a struggle.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#309 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

oh yeah:

Calling all Rebekah's: Yoo Hoo! Rebekah!!!!!!

#310 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Well, nevermind on the party. No one can come. Not even family. Who knew you'd have to call months in advance to remind people of a child's birthday party. Especially one they are related to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Northern Cali or Southern? Central Cali the sun set by 8:30 on the 4th of July. Fireworks by 9. It might have even been earlier on Southern Cali.

Before we moved up here DH told me it would be light later. I thought he was on crack. Seriously WHY would it be light later?

Then we got here and one day it was 10pm and I was like WTF? I never realized the closer to the poles you were the longer/shorter the daylight. Oh yea.. I knew about the 24 hour nights/days in Alaska, but this is Oregon, not Alaska.
Yeah, this was Southern California. San Fernando, then Ventura county.

Quote:

That's awesome, Tiff!

Quote:
Dixie is leading it. its for students becoming LCs, as far as i know.
i am super excited i love sharing the BFAR love!!!

i am still on the hunt for a long term donor. found a possible donor for longterm starting the end of this month, but its only 6-10oz a day. Niamh is taking about 20 a day right now. even with the only nursing down for naps and bedtime/nightime and all the solids food she eats. she still needs 20 oz of supp, or more a day.
and thats if i am taking all my herbs and dpd, and eating oats and drinking tea, and smelling like a frackin maplebar.
*sigh*
I can get those bags back to you when we do pix if you want. I have a very sad 6 ounces frozen for you.

Quote:
Nico quasi-slept through the night. : : that this becomes a regular thing.

I think it helped that I got into bed with him for a couple of hours before switching to the couch. He seemed happy to find me in bed the times that he half woke up, and was able to drift off to sleep immediately after making skin contact. I'm so happy! Previously, as soon as he felt me he would lunge under my shirt and it would be a struggle.
Yaay!

Quote:
oh yeah:

Calling all Rebekah's: Yoo Hoo! Rebekah!!!!!!
Yeah, where are you Rebekah???
#311 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Well, nevermind on the party. No one can come. Not even family.
Oh Hedy that sucks. No one made it to Alex's first BD except my mom. On top of no one acknowledging he was born this really hurt my feelings.

Don't let this hurt YOUR feelings. Have her birthday the weekend before or after. In the long run though.. it's her 2nd birthday. At least she wont remember/be hurt by it.
#312 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Wish I could. We have to go to Olympia the weekend before for a wedding reception, and everyone is going to Eugene the weekend after for SIL's 30th birthday. I seriously doubt she will want to share the spotlight with Ruby. Oh well.
#313 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Wish I could. We have to go to Olympia the weekend before for a wedding reception, and everyone is going to Eugene the weekend after for SIL's 30th birthday. I seriously doubt she will want to share the spotlight with Ruby. Oh well.
Middle of the week? Friday evening?
#314 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

And if all that fails.... just take her somewhere special. Oaks Park? The Zoo? Omsi? Oh.. The Enchanted Forest.

Get her a tiara and let her be princess for the day.
#315 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

We'll probably just have to do our own thing. I don't know what yet, but we'll figure it out I guess.
#316 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Well, nevermind on the party. No one can come. Not even family.
Sorry Hedy I hope you find a special way to celebrate Ruby's second birthday!

We are having the same problem with Indy's fourth birthday (on Aug. 22). No family can come (my mom was just here and can’t take off work to come) or even really wants to participate in trying to celebrate. I'm so frustrated because Indy probably will remember this birthday. I really wanted to have it be special for him.
#317 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Awe, hugs for the birthday blues.

#318 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

I think we might take her to the beach for the first time. Of course, I haven't run this past Todd yet, but I don't see why we couldn't. She would love it. I know she would fall in love with the tide pools. Lily did at her age. It was so cute.
#319 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Tiff, that's really cool! And I'm so amazed at your dedication to your girls. ::

Beth, I don't know if you dated yourself, but I was thinking, nice Quaalude reference! It reminds me of all those anti-drug commercials in the 80s where they'd list all the drugs they'd done: "Uppers, downers, ludes..."
#320 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Ah. Sav was right. Protéines rend la vie beaucoup plus tolérable.
#321 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

huh?
#322 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Protein. Must have it in the morning.

Makes life so much more tolerable.
#323 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Damn Frenchie.

:
#324 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I was just thinking that this morning, as I was standing in Lowe's, shaking from low blood sugar after having 1.5 waffles with jam for breakfast. Think I'm gonna boil some eggs to have on hand.

So, here's something weird (and possibly a contributor to that shaking!). I just got a call from my ND's office - the results from my allergy blood test are in. I am not moderately reactive to anything. The only thing I am HIGHLY reactive to?

Cane sugar.

Isn't that weird?? Never would have occurred to me! And I have a problem with fructose, too. Don't like to ingest too many artificial sweeteners. So, anyone ever cook with xylitol or agave syrup?? Wondering how to make cookies or other occasional treats! Guess I should post on Nutrition....

Anyway, appt. next week to discuss results in further detail.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#325 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM

Umm hey..

Elizabeth did the dishes last night and started the dishwasher while I was putting Alex to bed. So sweet of her right?

While I come downstairs after I get Alex to sleep to find the kitchen covered in bubbles. She had put Dish hand soap in there rather than auto dish soap. So I did let her know I was proud of her she did a great job doing the dishes and cleaning out the sink. But always always ALWAYS make sure it says AUTO dish soap on the bottle.

So now my questions is, I stopped the dishwasher mid-cycle. The bubbles have dissipated this morning, but if I run it again will it bubble up again? What do I do?
#326 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Hmm. Tempting, but I'm not sure if Chase would even WANT to get on those rides. He won't even stay in the little kid swings at the park. Although he has been getting into the slide lately.

we didn't even go. the AWFUL mean eye teeth are making my little a fussy, tired, sleep-challenged ball of anger. Wow, so much harder than the molars.

Quote:

really? tell me more. I am considering it after done with childbirthing and nursing...

Quote:
We'll probably just have to do our own thing. I don't know what yet, but we'll figure it out I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indysmom View Post
Sorry Hedy I hope you find a special way to celebrate Ruby's second birthday!

We are having the same problem with Indy's fourth birthday (on Aug. 22). No family can come (my mom was just here and can’t take off work to come) or even really wants to participate in trying to celebrate. I'm so frustrated because Indy probably will remember this birthday. I really wanted to have it be special for him.
I can totally see how you both would feel sad and frustrated about the lack of family participation to mark these important birthdays. Just to reframe it, I bet Ruby and Indy will be more likely to remember the special date b/c he/she got to do something really fun with you (the people they really care about the most). I think as parents we can get our feelings hurt for our kids about things they might not even realize/notice. (unless we make a big deal out of it). That being said, I would feel upset too.

Quote:
Ah, yes protein. I wonder if your body is having a hard time with the sugars in the carbs?

Quote:
I was just thinking that this morning, as I was standing in Lowe's, shaking from low blood sugar after having 1.5 waffles with jam for breakfast. Think I'm gonna boil some eggs to have on hand.

So, here's something weird (and possibly a contributor to that shaking!). I just got a call from my ND's office - the results from my allergy blood test are in. I am not moderately reactive to anything. The only thing I am HIGHLY reactive to?

Cane sugar.

Isn't that weird?? Never would have occurred to me! And I have a problem with fructose, too. Don't like to ingest too many artificial sweeteners. So, anyone ever cook with xylitol or agave syrup?? Wondering how to make cookies or other occasional treats! Guess I should post on Nutrition....

What kind of testing did you do?

We use agave for everything and LOVE it! Wow, this is going to be a big transformation for you. We have talked about those sugar addictions.
#327 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM

AWw.. The Oregon's Lion's Sight and Hearing Foundation is 6 blocks from DH's work. Guess where he is going with all the old glasses I dug up at lunch tomorrow.
#328 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Cane sugar.

Interesting. I have heard about that from a lot of people. I can tell that I'm becoming acidic if I get into the sugar/simple carbs too much, because my cystic acne comes back. And well? That is unpleasant enough for me to just... not want it, since I have learned to associate too much of that stuff with that particular symptom.

I've been keeping it pretty well under control lately, so I just make sure to stay away from it except for the occasional treat here and there. Sometimes Piece Of Cake vegan cupcake or slice is a little hard to resist, but I keep it to once a week or less, and am usually OK if I do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Umm hey..

Elizabeth did the dishes last night and started the dishwasher while I was putting Alex to bed. So sweet of her right?

While I come downstairs after I get Alex to sleep to find the kitchen covered in bubbles. She had put Dish hand soap in there rather than auto dish soap. So I did let her know I was proud of her she did a great job doing the dishes and cleaning out the sink. But always always ALWAYS make sure it says AUTO dish soap on the bottle.

So now my questions is, I stopped the dishwasher mid-cycle. The bubbles have dissipated this morning, but if I run it again will it bubble up again? What do I do?
Hm. That, I don't know. I think if it's fizzled, it's probably OK, but not totally sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
I can totally see how you both would feel sad and frustrated about the lack of family participation to mark these important birthdays. Just to reframe it, I bet Ruby and Indy will be more likely to remember the special date b/c he/she got to do something really fun with you (the people they really care about the most). I think as parents we can get our feelings hurt for our kids about things they might not even realize/notice. (unless we make a big deal out of it). That being said, I would feel upset too.

Ah, yes protein. I wonder if your body is having a hard time with the sugars in the carbs?

What kind of testing did you do?

We use agave for everything and LOVE it! Wow, this is going to be a big transformation for you. We have talked about those sugar addictions.
1. Yeah, I still haven't talked to Todd about it, (I'm sure he'll be fine because he also loves this,) but I'm thinking beach at this point. I know she will love it.

2. Yeah. I'm discovering that after going several hours without food, my body doesn't know what to do with the carbs. It's like: Carbs? Are you kidding? Make with the protein, lady! NOW!

3. And yes. Agave is WONDERFUL stuff. I'm enjoying some coffee with agave right now. And am SO glad there is something else out there.

Also, you may want to ask about brown rice, maple, and sorghum syrup. They are all pretty good, although, to be on the safe side, probably best to ask about them.

I also brew stevia in my tea. The Herb Shoppe sells it cheap in leaf form, which is supposed to be WAY better for you than the powdered stuff. It's also 300 times sweeter than sugar, so a little bit goes a long way.
#329 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I think we might take her to the beach for the first time. Of course, I haven't run this past Todd yet, but I don't see why we couldn't. She would love it. I know she would fall in love with the tide pools. Lily did at her age. It was so cute.
can you celebrate it a week later, labor day ppl might be free?
#330 of 2000 Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Nope. We are going to Eugene for Todd's sister's 30th. It'll be all right. She will be happy with the coast, I'm sure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page