Ack! It's August Already, PDX Mamas! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I'm seriously amazed at how quick this thread moves....just wanted to say hey. I've posted about this in the bfing forum and haven't heard much, but do any of you have any advice on dealing with thrush? Or know of a reasonqably priced naturopath that can help me out? I'm not having any luck with the conventional docs. Sheesh!
Oh yes, I have lots of experience with thrush. I don't know if you're going to like this, but I basically had to live on meat and vegetables for a while, no sugar or dairy. And I took grapefruit seed extract and probiotics and fish oil. And every time I changed a diaper, I wiped her with a vinegar/water mixture and put anti-fungal stuff on her. And I wiped my nips with the vinegar/water after bfing.

Look on kellymom.com for all the different advice of the thrush diet gurus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Imagine Nico's delight when he finally managed to read the words "honey bucket" on the side of the extremely large container at the park today. :
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM

As my favorite school bus buddy of the days of old said, "that's no honey bucket."

Just subbin' and lurkin'. My sister is in town for a few weeks, we went to the beach for a few days which was really nice. We scored on this great rental house at $95/night and no extra fees. It was right on the beach front with a view of twin rocks. We attempted crabbing for three hours and then bought a crab .

Back to my lists of things to do before baby gets here .

Happy belated birthday Pauline, Niamh, Ruby (did I miss anyone?)!

Savvy-- Udderly's ice cream parlor in Ashland is excellent. You choose vanilla or chocolate ice cream and then choose what you want in it. I had the frozen peaches in vanilla ice cream years ago and I still think back on it wistfully. I think they had some dairy alternatives too. And of course you have to try seeing a play!

Sara, we are really pleased with the couch we got at the bargain furniture place on 34th? and Division. Very solid construction, very comfy, and looks great.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I'm seriously amazed at how quick this thread moves....just wanted to say hey. I've posted about this in the bfing forum and haven't heard much, but do any of you have any advice on dealing with thrush? Or know of a reasonqably priced naturopath that can help me out? I'm not having any luck with the conventional docs. Sheesh!
Ugh. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I had thrush for four months. It SUCKED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Oh yes, I have lots of experience with thrush. I don't know if you're going to like this, but I basically had to live on meat and vegetables for a while, no sugar or dairy. And I took grapefruit seed extract and probiotics and fish oil. And every time I changed a diaper, I wiped her with a vinegar/water mixture and put anti-fungal stuff on her. And I wiped my nips with the vinegar/water after bfing.

Look on kellymom.com for all the different advice of the thrush diet gurus.
: There are also enzymes you can take (someone here recommended them highly to me, but they made me nauseated).

Check out the Breastfeeding Challenges forum (subset fo the Breastfeeding forum) - there are some thrush threads there, inc. the Battling Thrush Support Thread, which is super long but has lots of great info and anecdotal information.

For me, I did four rounds of diflucan (high dose), gentian violet, vinegar, GSE oral and topical, OTC anti-fungals, Dr. Newman's nipple ointment (bad reaction), a tincture from my ND...you name it, I tried it! The things that I think finally helped the most were wearing disposable breast pads 24/7 and changing them twice a day, washing bras in HOT water, using a new towel each shower (I used a hand towel for my breasts and reused the bath towel) and washing THAT in HOT water, and going on the meat/veggies/nuts/stevia diet. The diet was HARD, but I remain convinced that the thrush would not have gone away without it, and I kick myself with resisting it for so long.

Also, don't be a martyr - take painkillers if breastfeeding hurts. Sometimes icing before nursing was the only way I could stand for him to latch on. It beats weaning because the pain beats you down.

ETA: I just remembered I also used a fresh towel each time I washed my hands. We bought a couple of packs of cheap washcloths for that purpose, but you could use paper towels, too. The point of using fresh towels and breast pads is that yeast can live in damp cloth and you can reinfect yourself. Also, if your partner has fungal issues (jock itch, athlete's foot) s/he should be taking the same precautions and you should keep your bits separate until you are both fungus-free

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 AM

Wow, PGE says you can save $11 a month by setting your thermostat to 75 rather than 70. I keep mine at 76. Who keeps theirs at 70? Wow thats chilly.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 AM

That's weird. I wonder why?

Well, the farms are all having issues with peaches. I don't think any will be ready by the weekend. I talked to one farmer and she said in a very frustrated tone, that there was a frost in April, and that really affected the crop this year. It's both late and sparse. She sounded so sad. I just wanted to hug her.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
That's weird. I wonder why?

Well, the farms are all having issues with peaches. I don't think any will be ready by the weekend. I talked to one farmer and she said in a very frustrated tone, that there was a frost in April, and that really affected the crop this year. It's both late and sparse. She sounded so sad. I just wanted to hug her.
Yea.. I think most people are having problems this year. Seems there were problems last year as well.. but this year is worse.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 AM

Ruby just fell and completely finished off that tooth. SHIT SHIT SHIT. Can someone please PM me Dr. Pike's #? I have to get this taken care of like 30 seconds ago.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 AM

Why PM? Its a business number and not mine so I can post it. I hope you get the tooth thing resolved. I hope she isn't hurting.

Ph: 503-297-1711
Old 08-06-2008, 04:22 AM

Thank you! She had a lego in her mouth and she slipped on something, and just sort of crashed onto the hardwood floor. Crap. It's so jagged. I really hope she doesn't perforate my nipple.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you! She had a lego in her mouth and she slipped on something, and just sort of crashed onto the hardwood floor. Crap. It's so jagged. I really hope she doesn't perforate my nipple.
Oh wow, I hope they can get you in tomorrow to cap or pull it or smooth it or something. I really should iron DH's shirt and go to bed.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh no!! I'd been meaning to ask how her toothy was. What an awful way to get an update. Poor little toothy.

The shards file down pretty quick via nursing. But you might find yourself pumping pink milk tomorrow. If you have some food quality wax around you can try to put some on her tooth before you nurse. But if it's sensitive, then.... maybe not.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 AM

What kind of wax?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 AM

I second that the sharp edges soften up pretty quickly. I hope you can get her in tomorrow. We'll be there at 12:00.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 AM

She's nursing right now, and thankfully not biting. He's pretty good about getting emergencies in isn't he? I don't think this should wait. It's just... evil looking. Ugh. I wish the oral fixation would stop. I guess Lily went through this too, but has so far gotten through life with no chipped teeth.

My poor little bubsie.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What kind of wax?
Any kind that's safe to ingest would give you a little protection tonight. Whatever's stickiest, I would guess. Tomorrow you can pick some dental wax up from the pharmacy, though you might need to call around. I've never bought any, so can't give you any recs on that.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:37 AM

that's good to know about the sharp edges. She's really gentle when she nurses and usually only bites if she's startled or something. Hopefully I can avoid that. She's picking at it now. Totally calm.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Danielle, I have some coffee cans for you. LMK when you want to get them.

Hedy, if they balk on getting you in tomorrow (and I don't think they will) just implore them a little more. They said I'd have to wait weeks for my first appointment, but when I said I was desperate and couldn't wait, they got me in the same day.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 AM

Hm. I have lanolin... I don't know if that would qualify. I guess I'll just leave it be unless she does bite and it's awful.

Yeah, drug stores should have some orthodontic wax with their dental stuff. E's teeth that were chipped were her front ones, and it was really just the first couple times that hurt with her nursing. Good luck!

oh no! if you cant see Dr Pike, i highly reccomend Dr Royse. he is downtown and AWESOME.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:

Hedy, if they balk on getting you in tomorrow (and I don't think they will) just implore them a little more. They said I'd have to wait weeks for my first appointment, but when I said I was desperate and couldn't wait, they got me in the same day.
That's really good to know. Of course now I'm playing with my own chipped tooth with my tongue. I was lucky though. It smoothed itself, and has never caused me any trouble. But this is a big chip. K. No more legos in the mouth while walking around for that one.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 AM

also, Dani, Hedy, anyone else that does the PDX/Eugene route on a semi regular basis, would anyone be able to pick milk up for us from someone in Eugene if the person i am talking to decides to donate to us? i can put some gas $ in.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 AM

Wow! I really need to try and get on here more often. Now that I'm living out of Portland, I come on here so infrequently and I miss seeing you mamas. I'm on here to post about a family friendly show that Lincoln (my dh) is playing in Portland tomarrow night at Mississippi Pizza! The shows have been such a success and so much fun for the kids that they asked him to do one a month. So the details are:

Lincoln Crockett and Dave Clarke
Mississippi Pizza
Wednesday Aug 6th
6-8pm
$5 cover for adult and kids free. Bring the kids and come rock out with these two. Music for adults and Children alike.

Hope you are all well!

Sorry about the tooth Hedy! Bummer.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...we are headed to the zoo and then Korin's tomorrow. I am back again on Sunday, but that is for a par-tay. Unless Joi could pick them up for me, or you could drop them at her house. I'm chatting with her right now. I'll let you know.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
also, Dani, Hedy, anyone else that does the PDX/Eugene route on a semi regular basis, would anyone be able to pick milk up for us from someone in Eugene if the person i am talking to decides to donate to us? i can put some gas $ in.
Of course we could. We are moving back in 2 months, but we could bring it up until then. Any chance you could meet us in SE somewhere to pass it off?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
I can definitely do it for you when I go down there. I'm going there the first weekend in September anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongoddess176 View Post
Wow! I really need to try and get on here more often. Now that I'm living out of Portland, I come on here so infrequently and I miss seeing you mamas. I'm on here to post about a family friendly show that Lincoln (my dh) is playing in Portland tomarrow night at Mississippi Pizza! The shows have been such a success and so much fun for the kids that they asked him to do one a month. So the details are:

Lincoln Crockett and Dave Clarke
Mississippi Pizza
6-8pm
$5 cover for adult and kids free. Bring the kids and come rock out with these two. Music for adults and Children alike.

Hope you are all well!

Sorry about the tooth Hedy! Bummer.
D'oh! We'll probably be in Silverton looking at property. Let us know when the next one is though! I keep meaning to catch one of these shows.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
Hmmm...we are headed to the zoo and then Korin's tomorrow. I am back again on Sunday, but that is for a par-tay. Unless Joi could pick them up for me, or you could drop them at her house. I'm chatting with her right now. I'll let you know.
I think I'm somewhat close to Korin and Joi. If you have a car you could probably swing by and grab them while you're in the area. I can leave 'em outside somewhere, I doubt anyone would take my tin can collection. No rush though, I'm sure you'll be up again before your project is due and I've only got 4 or so.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 AM

Can someone tell me what time Pike's office opens? I couldn't find any of that info on the site. Nevermind. Found it.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 AM

Thanks Hedy and Dani. i am still talking to this mama who might want to donate, we are just trying to get it finalized, then i''l put it out there when the earliest pickup would be. and i can have DH drive anywhere to pick it up in PDX area.

User Tag List