Ack! It's August Already, PDX Mamas! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
 
spottiew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NoPo
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Good for you!

Ugh. Ru now has a bit of a snaggletooth. It's not horrible and doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I only noticed it when she smiled at me earlier. Apparently she fell on the patio while everyone was outside this morning, and I was in the shower.

Dentist? Hm. I have a chipped tooth that got that way when I was 7, and I never did anything to it. It's still totally fine. Never had any problems with it.

WWYD?
i kepy my chip too, i kinda like it now. sometimes it does hurt tho.
hawthorne bridge, some lanes closed. oh fun.
spottiew is offline  
#182 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Good for you!

Ugh. Ru now has a bit of a snaggletooth. It's not horrible and doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I only noticed it when she smiled at me earlier. Apparently she fell on the patio while everyone was outside this morning, and I was in the shower.

Dentist? Hm. I have a chipped tooth that got that way when I was 7, and I never did anything to it. It's still totally fine. Never had any problems with it.

WWYD?
Bre chiped a tooth when she was about 2ish. She fell in the bath and hit it on the faucet. It is one of the teeth that need work now so I don't know if has to do with the chipping or just cause it's one of her front teeth. I never did have any work done (remember that $3,000 quote and his refusal to do only what needed immediate attention?) So I don't know. We didn't have dental insurance at the time it happened and I didn't think it was a big deal... but now I wonder if it had anything to do with that tooth going downhill.

Anyone have a good dentist on the Eastside? I will NEVER go back to Gental Dental again.
aniT is offline  
#183 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Good for you!

Ugh. Ru now has a bit of a snaggletooth. It's not horrible and doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I only noticed it when she smiled at me earlier. Apparently she fell on the patio while everyone was outside this morning, and I was in the shower.

Dentist? Hm. I have a chipped tooth that got that way when I was 7, and I never did anything to it. It's still totally fine. Never had any problems with it.

WWYD?
Ugh, you might want to get her teeth checked. The fact that it chipped could mean that she hit it really hard, but it could also mean that it was weakened from a pre-existing condition that you'd want to know about. You might also get it checked because it can be chipped to the root (the roots run very close to the tips of the teeth in baby teeth) and you might not know it. If she's like Nico, she might just go about her day in pain and not let you know. If you took her to Pike then I can assure you he wouldn't try to cap it or crown it or do anything unnecessary unless there was a real problem.

That said, check for looseness - some is normal, it should improve in a few weeks; a lot of wiggle would be worrisome. Or it may turn gray or darken - which means the tooth is bleeding internally. That can either go away, or not. If not, then there's a chance it would need to be treated as well as a chance that it would be just fine. HTH, poor Ru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Today at the farmer's market Sprogly couldn't catch a break. First we thought we were getting in line for popcorn, but it turned out there was a long line going the other way (I really didn't see it) and people made it obvious that they would have been disgruntled, so even though we'd waited, we left. Then Sprogly had to go to the bathroom, and when he turned to say something to me right before it was his turn, a woman walked right in front of him into the stall. Who cuts in line in front of a child doing the pee pee dance, anyway? Then again, when he wanted lemonade, and I gave him the money and he waited in line, and someone who was right behind him ordered the last lemonades, right over his head. I said something, but the guy just scowled at us and walked off. The only other thing they had left was iced tea. The girl behind the counter was only a high-schooler, otherwise she'd have had a brand new asshole, because I swear she looked right at Sprogly before giving the lemonades to the guy.

He really likes getting in line and ordering by himself, but I guess I have to teach him to assert himself, because people don't even see him. We went back to the popcorn place, and this time I told him to remember who he was behind in line, and don't let anyone get ahead of him, just to say excuse me if they do. So he did fine.

We got a book about how to make origami airplanes. How exciting. I love the library.
Oh man, my blood would be boiling. I absolutely HATE line criminals. So did he do fine because he got lucky, or because he had to say excuse me and it worked???

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#184 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OH! I bought Nico a new helmet while I was at my bike shop. It was priced at $40, but my awesome mechanic gave it to me for $25. And he was able to put it on a wiggly, no-nap Nico without an incident. Nico has been wearing this helmet for 4 hours and counting.

Oops, spoke to soon. Now we're practicing putting it on and off. Also, he has some truly spectacular hippy hair today.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#185 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
 
forsythia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: sleepless baby heaven...
Posts: 2,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:
: :
: : :
Happy Birthday
: Pauline! :
: : : :
: : :
: :
:

You are a ray of sunshine mama friend!!! :
forsythia is offline  
#186 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Good for you!

Ugh. Ru now has a bit of a snaggletooth. It's not horrible and doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I only noticed it when she smiled at me earlier. Apparently she fell on the patio while everyone was outside this morning, and I was in the shower.

Dentist? Hm. I have a chipped tooth that got that way when I was 7, and I never did anything to it. It's still totally fine. Never had any problems with it.

WWYD?
I would go to the dentist. Talula's chipped tooth was one of the first signs of decay, and if I had gone in much earlier, I think her teeth would be a lot better off now.

I think I figured out why I was confused about the calendar. I still can't open it, but I was looking in the Yahoo group and now have figured out it's teh googlez.

We had a lovely day. We went out to breakfast at our town's amazing bar/diner. Then we went to the Antique Mall, which is more radness than you can wrap your brain around. Joey got some nerdy stereo stuff that I don't understand and I got a green vintage purse. Then we went to the park and didn't even see any shirtless mulleted dads drinking ****** cans and cursing at their kids and threatening to "whip" their "ass red."

::
papayapetunia is offline  
#187 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 PM
 
zeldabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pee Dee Ecks
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good gods, we're going through a ton of paper over here. I've folded some bitchin' planes. I'm going to dig out my origami books, because this is fun.
zeldabee is offline  
#188 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Ugh, you might want to get her teeth checked. The fact that it chipped could mean that she hit it really hard, but it could also mean that it was weakened from a pre-existing condition that you'd want to know about. You might also get it checked because it can be chipped to the root (the roots run very close to the tips of the teeth in baby teeth) and you might not know it. If she's like Nico, she might just go about her day in pain and not let you know. If you took her to Pike then I can assure you he wouldn't try to cap it or crown it or do anything unnecessary unless there was a real problem.

That said, check for looseness - some is normal, it should improve in a few weeks; a lot of wiggle would be worrisome. Or it may turn gray or darken - which means the tooth is bleeding internally. That can either go away, or not. If not, then there's a chance it would need to be treated as well as a chance that it would be just fine. HTH, poor Ru.



Oh man, my blood would be boiling. I absolutely HATE line criminals. So did he do fine because he got lucky, or because he had to say excuse me and it worked???

Thanks! I'll check it out more thoroughly. It seems to just be the bottom left corner of her left incisor, and she did land on the cement patio, so I would think that's probably what did it. I don't see any discoloration.'

I may call pike.
Hedy B. is offline  
#189 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
 
zeldabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pee Dee Ecks
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh. Sprogly just made a plane out of a dollar. "Look, Mommy, it's a dollar plane!" We're obsessed. At what point should I start to worry?
zeldabee is offline  
#190 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Heh. Sprogly just made a plane out of a dollar. "Look, Mommy, it's a dollar plane!" We're obsessed. At what point should I start to worry?
3am.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#191 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had to close the window to this room because the smell of dog shit emanating from our neighbor's 5'X5' dog pen which is RIGHTOUTSIDE is overpowering. It was so bad I thought Ruby was sick and had a really nasty diaper. Her diaper is dry.

What can be done about this? It's seriously disgusting and making me want to puke.
Hedy B. is offline  
#192 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if Nico is going to sleep around 7 and waking up at 3 or 4 ready to go, that's 8-9 hours. I wonder if I cut out his naps too early. A kid can't get by on 8-9 hours, right? That's way too little sleep. But maybe he just can't stay in bed for 10-12 hours at a time.... Ugh. I think that's the root problem here. He needs a nap, and thusly, to stay up a bit later than 8. I think I'll at least try it and see if it makes a dramatic change like I think it should.

</endchatwithmyself>

I don't know, Hedy. I can't think of anything at all. I know you've been worried about that dog.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#193 of 2000 Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
So if Nico is going to sleep around 7 and waking up at 3 or 4 ready to go, that's 8-9 hours. I wonder if I cut out his naps too early. A kid can't get by on 8-9 hours, right? That's way too little sleep. But maybe he just can't stay in bed for 10-12 hours at a time.... Ugh. I think that's the root problem here. He needs a nap, and thusly, to stay up a bit later than 8. I think I'll at least try it and see if it makes a dramatic change like I think it should.

</endchatwithmyself>

I don't know, Hedy. I can't think of anything at all. I know you've been worried about that dog.
Yeah, I can't decide whether or not the days when Ruby takes a nap in the late afternoon then stays up later are more pleasant or not. She's usually happy until she isn't, then lord have mercy!

+++

Yeah, the dog thing is a tough one. I have called animal control on them before for that dog, because he was outside in the snow and ice with no water or food, and no sign of anyone even being home for several days. They took the dog, then he was back the next day. .

I'm afraid it might start some kind of stupid "war" where they call child services on us for some made-up incident. They haven't done anything like that, those are the things that go through my head.

At the same time, I can barely stand to go to that part of my yard to water my tomatoes! Oy! Why did they have to pick the sunniest part of the yard? And why RIGHT NEXT TO OUR HOUSE???

I wish they would move. I really, really do. Go. Have a nice life. Elsewhere.
Hedy B. is offline  
#194 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
 
spottiew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NoPo
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so kieran says im #66, daddy is #64. does that make him #65?

i think im giong to take him to early zoo tomorrow, if i can drag him away from dice. and hope he wants to see animals and not ride the train since that costs extra.

i have my birks back... crocs do not do it for me... they are waaay too wide, don't mold to my feet, cause dry skin and itchy and get bark dust in them. they are now only for pool, beach, and yard.

sara, kieran used to sleep jusdt only 8 hours -when he had more nap going on. he also used to wake up at 5 a lot, and i would have to convinc ehim to go back to sleep until 7, very light sleep fo r that last part. now he sleeps like a rock. tho not enough overall, sat, i alwyas lose to meganap, then sunday is a nap pain day... i have like 10 straigt hours now, 1 of nap. perfectg would be 2 of nap, 9 at night.
spottiew is offline  
#195 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hm. I do not care for IKEA couches and loveseats. Not my style. Where else should I look?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#196 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 AM
 
zeldabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pee Dee Ecks
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Ikea everything, but IKWYM. I have a futon couch from a store in NYC, so I can't help you. (Actually, I'm very fond of my futon couch, but I wouldn't know where to send you for one.)
zeldabee is offline  
#197 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 AM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
I just had to close the window to this room because the smell of dog shit emanating from our neighbor's 5'X5' dog pen which is RIGHTOUTSIDE is overpowering. It was so bad I thought Ruby was sick and had a really nasty diaper. Her diaper is dry.

What can be done about this? It's seriously disgusting and making me want to puke.
Maybe complain to the Dept. of Health?

Which reminds me...Joey has been helping a family friend all last week to clean up a place he finally kicked his daughter out of. They have been living there for 11 years without paying rent. It's a 5-bedroom house on 3/4 acre. The rent was $500 at first. When they couldn't pay it, they lowered it to $400...then $300. Finally, our friend realized that he was being screwed. He would call his daughter to ask about the rent and she would scream at him. He is very soft spoken.

Anyway, they finally got them out after the whole court run-around that experienced rent scammers do. So Joey helped to clean it up...

Turd everywhere...what to do when your four dogs turd in the house? Pour kitty litter on that shit. Then pile four feet of garbage over it. It took them all last week to shovel garbage out of that place. Underwear, McDonalds garbage, Pepsi cans, shit, dishes, rotting food, shit, diapers, newspapers, shit, whathaveyou. When you've worn a shirt or underwear, why wash it? Just add it to the rest of the shit pile in your house. Dishes? No. Just throw them under the stairs. Then nail a freaking board to cover the under-the-stairs disgust-o-mess. And when you're moving out? Leave everything, but don't forget your 72-inch plasma TV that you watch while smelling shit and sitting on a couch covered in shit.

I've looked up "living in squalor" on teh googlez to give me more of a perspective, but fo' serious...how tha eff??? And I'm not a neat freak, by any means.
papayapetunia is offline  
#198 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
I love Ikea everything, but IKWYM. I have a futon couch from a store in NYC, so I can't help you. (Actually, I'm very fond of my futon couch, but I wouldn't know where to send you for one.)
I IKEA too. :
papayapetunia is offline  
#199 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 AM
 
dani76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oregon :)
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is disgusting Candice! And strange. I'm glad he was able to get them out of there.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
dani76 is offline  
#200 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 AM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
omg that makes me sick to my stomache.
how sad.
Hedy, sorry bout the dog crap. thats gross

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#201 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Maybe complain to the Dept. of Health?

Which reminds me...Joey has been helping a family friend all last week to clean up a place he finally kicked his daughter out of. They have been living there for 11 years without paying rent. It's a 5-bedroom house on 3/4 acre. The rent was $500 at first. When they couldn't pay it, they lowered it to $400...then $300. Finally, our friend realized that he was being screwed. He would call his daughter to ask about the rent and she would scream at him. He is very soft spoken.

Anyway, they finally got them out after the whole court run-around that experienced rent scammers do. So Joey helped to clean it up...

Turd everywhere...what to do when your four dogs turd in the house? Pour kitty litter on that shit. Then pile four feet of garbage over it. It took them all last week to shovel garbage out of that place. Underwear, McDonalds garbage, Pepsi cans, shit, dishes, rotting food, shit, diapers, newspapers, shit, whathaveyou. When you've worn a shirt or underwear, why wash it? Just add it to the rest of the shit pile in your house. Dishes? No. Just throw them under the stairs. Then nail a freaking board to cover the under-the-stairs disgust-o-mess. And when you're moving out? Leave everything, but don't forget your 72-inch plasma TV that you watch while smelling shit and sitting on a couch covered in shit.

I've looked up "living in squalor" on teh googlez to give me more of a perspective, but fo' serious...how tha eff??? And I'm not a neat freak, by any means.
Oh that is just beyond disgusting! Wow.
Hedy B. is offline  
#202 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Rin
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my 3mo DS waits to fall asleep until his Daddy gets home from work (he's a line cook that often works the closing shift and doesn't get home until now). Is it coincidence? Does a 3mo really understand Daddy's schedule already?! I have tried everything to get him to sleep...(rocking, singing, reading, bathing, massaging, nursing, lying down with, lying him down alone)....Daddy walks in, takes a squealling-exhausted-fighting-sleep-wiggly baby from me. Kisses him, hugs him, tells him goodnight, gives him back to me, and he falls asleep. Sheesh! Now I'm going to collapse into bed. Goodnight!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

 

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Rin is offline  
#203 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM
 
frogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: p-town
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
I just had to close the window to this room because the smell of dog shit emanating from our neighbor's 5'X5' dog pen which is RIGHTOUTSIDE is overpowering. It was so bad I thought Ruby was sick and had a really nasty diaper. Her diaper is dry.

What can be done about this? It's seriously disgusting and making me want to puke.
call animal control. I believe, that the pen needs to be clean. The dogs shouldnt be walking around in poop cause well it's not healthy for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Maybe complain to the Dept. of Health?

Which reminds me...Joey has been helping a family friend all last week to clean up a place he finally kicked his daughter out of. They have been living there for 11 years without paying rent. It's a 5-bedroom house on 3/4 acre. The rent was $500 at first. When they couldn't pay it, they lowered it to $400...then $300. Finally, our friend realized that he was being screwed. He would call his daughter to ask about the rent and she would scream at him. He is very soft spoken.

Anyway, they finally got them out after the whole court run-around that experienced rent scammers do. So Joey helped to clean it up...

Turd everywhere...what to do when your four dogs turd in the house? Pour kitty litter on that shit. Then pile four feet of garbage over it. It took them all last week to shovel garbage out of that place. Underwear, McDonalds garbage, Pepsi cans, shit, dishes, rotting food, shit, diapers, newspapers, shit, whathaveyou. When you've worn a shirt or underwear, why wash it? Just add it to the rest of the shit pile in your house. Dishes? No. Just throw them under the stairs. Then nail a freaking board to cover the under-the-stairs disgust-o-mess. And when you're moving out? Leave everything, but don't forget your 72-inch plasma TV that you watch while smelling shit and sitting on a couch covered in shit.

I've looked up "living in squalor" on teh googlez to give me more of a perspective, but fo' serious...how tha eff??? And I'm not a neat freak, by any means.
ugh, as bad as it sounds, are they wearing suits to clean it up? Here's why I ask, Eric's aunt's mother who lives in WA was found in Tillamook. She thought she was in the Seattle area. When E's aunt and uncle drove her back to her place, they found it unliveable. almost same conditions you are describing, if not worse. They put her in a home, and started cleaning up her place but wore the hazmat suits. Any little germs/bugs/etc could be coming home with Joey.
In her defense, she has dementia

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
frogger is offline  
#204 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post


I've looked up "living in squalor" on teh googlez to give me more of a perspective, but fo' serious...how tha eff??? And I'm not a neat freak, by any means.
See, this is exactly why children need discipline.



JK, that is so sad. They obviously have some deep, psychological issues. A healthy person would not be able to live that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I think my 3mo DS waits to fall asleep until his Daddy gets home from work (he's a line cook that often works the closing shift and doesn't get home until now). Is it coincidence? Does a 3mo really understand Daddy's schedule already?! I have tried everything to get him to sleep...(rocking, singing, reading, bathing, massaging, nursing, lying down with, lying him down alone)....Daddy walks in, takes a squealling-exhausted-fighting-sleep-wiggly baby from me. Kisses him, hugs him, tells him goodnight, gives him back to me, and he falls asleep. Sheesh! Now I'm going to collapse into bed. Goodnight!
Awe, isn't that the way it goes. He probably doesn't understand schedules, but he would certainly know that at some point daddy DOES come home, so maybe you're right. How empowering for your husband! I bet that will really help with their connection. I know that Ryan's inability to comfort Nico put some distance between them for a very long time.

Hope you got some rest!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#205 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i dont know whether to be pissed, or laugh at the rediculousness.
backstory: we have friends of the family. my moms bestfriend has kids, growing up, her daughter and i were friends, very very different, but still friends, because we were kids and our mothers were friends. come teenage years, she gets pregnant, has a baby, i am there for everything, i babysit for her, i change diapers, i help her learn how to use the pump so she can pump bottles for him. i support her.
when i moved to Boston she got HEAVY into meth. with her new bf. they got pregnant, she stayed on meth, baby was born with meth addiction, and withdrawls. older son and baby boy got taken away given to her mother, she and bf went into treatment, took parenting classes (yet still spank, hard) and got clean. they got the kids back. they got into church, and are all religious right and go mc cain, etc. they had a baby boy 6 months before Niamh was born. i helped her with her latch, again helped her with the pump, encouraged her to nurse past 6 weeks, then 6 months, she even got to 10 months old when she stopped, telling her mom it was creepy (you know those 10mo sex drives :eyeroll: ) but telling me it was cause he was biting hard, i asked her if she wanted help with getting him to stop biting, if she wanted some encouragement to go on, etc, she said no, that he was happy on the bottle of whole cows milk, AT 10 MONTHS! so i dropped it, letting her know how happy i was for them that they got 10 months of nursing in
we DO NOT see eye to eye on parenting issues, she believes in hitting her children if they wet their pants, i believe hitting a child is wrong, for any reason. they are all about teaching their sons about how good war is, and encouraging bullying, etc, i am a pretty big pacifist.
so we really arent good friends, but they are still friends of the family, and her 5yo and my 4yo get along fairly well and play great together.
well her mom, my moms friend just called my mom. she told her that she didnt want to hurt my feelings, and to not even mention the phone call to anyone, especially not her daughter, that T, the young mom, was going to ask me to nurse in a different room than everyone was in because "well you know how P(her husband)'s family is, they will make comments" they have MADE comments, at their 5yo birthday party, when Niamh was only 10 mo. they made comments at their 1yos bday party, when niamh was only 6mo. they made comments when they saw her when she was a newborn. it hasnt bothered me yet so far, and it will continue to not bother me, they can be as narrow minded as they wat, i am still going to feed my baby the way she and i both desire her to be fed. well thats just not ok with T. she wants me to make sure to nurse Niamh before we come to her housewarming party today so i dont have to nurse her while i am there, and if i do have to she plans on asking me to go in another room, or to go to the car, or go home.
wtf.
seriously.
its almost so rediculous i could laugh.
but at the same time i am just enfuriated.
i really dont want to go.
i didnt actually want to go in the first place, but this takes the cake.

seriously i am sickened by these people

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#206 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
ugh, as bad as it sounds, are they wearing suits to clean it up? Here's why I ask, Eric's aunt's mother who lives in WA was found in Tillamook. She thought she was in the Seattle area. When E's aunt and uncle drove her back to her place, they found it unliveable. almost same conditions you are describing, if not worse. They put her in a home, and started cleaning up her place but wore the hazmat suits. Any little germs/bugs/etc could be coming home with Joey.
In her defense, she has dementia
Joey said that they should have been wearing suits, but no, just gloves and masks. Hope we don't catch anything.

Tiff, geez, I don't know if I'd go to the party. Aside from the stupidness...how rude to make a guest feel that way, and ahead of time!
papayapetunia is offline  
#207 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
 
frogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: p-town
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tiff, I'd go and then when babe is ready to nurse, take her outside on the sidewalk, the public right of way, and nurse there. For her whole neighborhood to see. And hopefully one of her neighbors is out there and says hi and you can tell them that your "friend" doesn't feel comfy with me nursing inside, so you thought you'd just nurse outside.

I'd go and nurse anywhere anyways. and they can all leave the room if they are that uncomfy.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
frogger is offline  
#208 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
call animal control. I believe, that the pen needs to be clean. The dogs shouldnt be walking around in poop cause well it's not healthy for them.



ugh, as bad as it sounds, are they wearing suits to clean it up? Here's why I ask, Eric's aunt's mother who lives in WA was found in Tillamook. She thought she was in the Seattle area. When E's aunt and uncle drove her back to her place, they found it unliveable. almost same conditions you are describing, if not worse. They put her in a home, and started cleaning up her place but wore the hazmat suits. Any little germs/bugs/etc could be coming home with Joey.
In her defense, she has dementia
Yeah, SIL is in Hazmat. She wears a suit and a breather mask for stuff like that.
Hedy B. is offline  
#209 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like rebelling. Big time. Waaaay too long to go into right now. But rebellion is in order.
Hedy B. is offline  
#210 of 2000 Old 08-03-2008, 04:48 PM
 
dani76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oregon :)
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tiffany, I think the family friends are being pretty naive and close-minded about the whole thing. And if you are not comfortable going to another room to nurse, then I wouldn't go. I have always nursed Eleanor wherever she needed to nurse. But when I was in someone's house, I would ask if they minded if I nursed wherever I was. Nobody ever asked me to leave the room. Yes, it is totally a natural thing and we are just feeding our kids. Like giving Addy a sandwich or something. But people are allowed to be comfortable in their own house.

If it was me, I probably wouldn't go, because it would make me uncomfortable to feel like everyone was watching and waiting for me to have to nurse.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
dani76 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off