Ack! It's August Already, PDX Mamas! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that IS strange.
i was hoping to catch some this round, i mean the girls to catch them. i already had them. BADLY at 5.

oh, and you look GREAT, but then again, you always do.

oooh Niamh is so totally grunting out a poops. standing up next to me, "unnnngh" is it wierd to think thats cute???

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#242 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi View Post
Tiffany... I don't know about Bishops but Jason at Rudy's cuts mine and knows what he is doing.
thanks Joi, i've never been there,
you have hair like me, non? thick dark, with super wave?
i am in love with miss Christy at DLS, but my budget isnt. i need CHEAP and awesome.

#243 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 AM

Alex sings "Goodbye Blue Sky." in the car. It's so cute.

You hear him in the back going Ooohhhooohhhooohhhooohhhh.. Then you hear.. didididididid and byebyebyebye all in appropriate spots.

Although Elizabeth kind of does.. and it fascinates her. I hear her tell her friend when they get in the car.. This song is about the war. hrmmmmmm
#244 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 AM

Does anyone know how much it costs to get rid of the ads? I have to make this fast because there is a staples ad at the bottom of the screen that activages a dialog box that keeps telling me I need to restart firefox.
#245 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 AM

Thought I'd do a drive by...wave hi! this will be one busy month for us!

Hip hairdo Lee!
#246 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Does anyone know how much it costs to get rid of the ads? I have to make this fast because there is a staples ad at the bottom of the screen that activages a dialog box that keeps telling me I need to restart firefox.
I dunno. I got wined at when I asked DH. Maybe you should google it. I thought firefox automatically blocked the ads. Also could you have spyware? A staples ad shouldn't crash firefox.
#247 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 AM

I don't know. It had something to do with shockwave flash, and a plugin performing an illegal operation. I've never seen that before. Now the ad doesn't completely show. It kind of goes away.

I don't know what that's about, but I'm not going to restart firefox every damn time I'm at the bottom of a page.
#248 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 AM

thats SO wierd Hedy.
i use firefox on ubuntu and have like NOTHING installed, which makes for lameness when i wanna watch you tube vids. but i never get a restart firefox popup.

#249 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's really cheap. Like $6 or $20 or something a year. And totally worth it.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#250 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Think Out Loud, at 9am on OPB radio is going to be about unschoolers.

#251 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Joi

I have thick crazy curls....... it is curly, wavy, and wild all over

Thanks for the reminder Sara.
#252 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM

I saw that an hour too late. Damn it! I think I might go to the next convention. This is interesting me more and more.
#253 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I saw that an hour too late. Damn it! I think I might go to the next convention. This is interesting me more and more.
I'm sure you can listen to it anytime. Just go to the site and find the link for today's Think Out Loud.

They had one of the founders of VFS call in.

#254 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Geez, I really hate it when people just make bold claims based on nothing except what they think. Like, saying that unschooling makes kids think the world revolves around them. What is that even based on?

Alright, I'm not letting it ruin my day. : It's great that OPB featured unschooling.
#255 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM

UG! Amanda is going to be 15 on Friday and is nag nag nagging for a permit.
#256 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Just checked Lily's school's website, and I guess it's not weird that I haven't heard from them yet. Whew.
#257 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Geez, I really hate it when people just make bold claims based on nothing except what they think. Like, saying that unschooling makes kids think the world revolves around them. What is that even based on?
Well, kids are inherently selfish. Didn't you know that? See, that's why you have to have years of training to teach kids, otherwise they walk all over you.

Ok, you do know I'm joking, right?
#258 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
I'm sure you can listen to it anytime. Just go to the site and find the link for today's Think Out Loud.

They had one of the founders of VFS call in.
Ooh! Thanks!

Quote:

Alright, I'm not letting it ruin my day. : It's great that OPB featured unschooling.
That's a start, anyway.
#259 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM

We are headed to the Japanese Garden and then to Washington Park playground after for some afternoon fun. Anyone want to meet there?
#260 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM

I just get so annoyed when people make assumptions like that, because all the research supports an opposite conclusion. I feel like, if you can present me with some research that you've done, then fine. But if I'm throwing books and articles at you, and you're not reading them, then you don't get to make conclusions just because it's how you feel about what kids should do.

Anyway, I'm going to get myself all worked up. :
#261 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Exactly, Candice, exactly. I hear ya.
#262 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Oh and Hedy, I was thinking about people in my own life who feel the way your dh does. I wasn't trying to badmouth your dh. I just think I can understand how you feel, having personally been there.

:
#263 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I figured. I know a lot of people who feel that way, so I just sort of assume other people do too.
#264 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just get so annoyed when people make assumptions like that, because all the research supports an opposite conclusion. I feel like, if you can present me with some research that you've done, then fine. But if I'm throwing books and articles at you, and you're not reading them, then you don't get to make conclusions just because it's how you feel about what kids should do.

Anyway, I'm going to get myself all worked up. :
Well, I think a lot of us come to conclusions in our own mind based on our own histories and assumptions and biased information sources, correct or incorrect. I'd have a hard time believing that most of society researches every possible avenue of thought before forming an opinion about something. By making bold claims, people are simply putting language to these internally held opinions; and by putting language to them, they're brought out into the open where they can be discussed and refuted. And even if the person making the bold claim is completely closed minded, and unwilling to entertain another opinion, or research, or factual evidence, their voice may represent the inner thoughts of someone else, who is more willing to entertain contrary evidence. I know that I came into motherhood with a slew of opinions based on nothing but a limited view of the world; if people hadn't been making bold claims around me, I never would have heard the contrary evidence. I might have just carried on with some quiet assumptions that forever went unchallenged. YKWIM?

:

#265 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, were you referring to Hedy's man? I thought we were still on the radio broadcast. Shit, it's 12 already? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

#266 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Rebellion happened today. It was fun. I went to Bishop's and Mike, gay boyfriend, and myself all got our hair cut! It was awesome. Pictures on blog soon. Bishop's ROCKS!! We went to the one in the Pearl.

Wow, that's awesome, Karen! I know you've wanted to move in that direction for awhile. : :
Hooray for rebellion!

Yeah, I'm just hoping I don't fall back on eating meat every night. I'm finding myself doing that already. Old habits and all of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
I was thinking of taking Liam to Oaks park tuesday am for the little kid morning. Anyone else want to go?
Hmm. Tempting, but I'm not sure if Chase would even WANT to get on those rides. He won't even stay in the little kid swings at the park. Although he has been getting into the slide lately.

Quote:
That's a start, anyway. I'm trying and... well... somewhat failing with Todd right now on the subject. He thinks that the only way our kids will be successful in the real world is if they fear authority, and for now that means us.
Sounds like Todd needs a dose of Alfie Kohn! His "Unconditional Parenting" really resonated with me. I've heard the DVD is good (very similar to the talk that he did here a few months ago, so if you went to that...). There are also a lot of articles at Alfie's website. Few are actually parenting articles, but you might find the ones about education equally interesting, given your situation.

And here's another article, from the Natural Child website, about how children react to control.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#267 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, SIL is in Hazmat. She wears a suit and a breather mask for stuff like that.
hey my dh works hazmat too LOL yep, speaking of, i am at work and almost throwing up on my desk/keyboard...
#268 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I think a lot of us come to conclusions in our own mind based on our own histories and assumptions and biased information sources, correct or incorrect. I'd have a hard time believing that most of society researches every possible avenue of thought before forming an opinion about something. By making bold claims, people are simply putting language to these internally held opinions; and by putting language to them, they're brought out into the open where they can be discussed and refuted. And even if the person making the bold claim is completely closed minded, and unwilling to entertain another opinion, or research, or factual evidence, their voice may represent the inner thoughts of someone else, who is more willing to entertain contrary evidence. I know that I came into motherhood with a slew of opinions based on nothing but a limited view of the world; if people hadn't been making bold claims around me, I never would have heard the contrary evidence. I might have just carried on with some quiet assumptions that forever went unchallenged. YKWIM?

:
I do. Definitely, completely understand where you are coming from, although from my standpoint, I was still very much in the "do as you're told" vein of thinking when I had Lily, and felt like I had to discipline her the way I had been disciplined. I am so glad that I found another way, and that the things that felt natural to me can actually still be effective, and create more of a bond between the two of us. I really wish I had found out about all of this a lot sooner now. But at least I found out about it before she started school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Hooray for rebellion!

Yeah, I'm just hoping I don't fall back on eating meat every night. I'm finding myself doing that already. Old habits and all of that...

Hmm. Tempting, but I'm not sure if Chase would even WANT to get on those rides. He won't even stay in the little kid swings at the park. Although he has been getting into the slide lately.

Sounds like Todd needs a dose of Alfie Kohn! His "Unconditional Parenting" really resonated with me. I've heard the DVD is good (very similar to the talk that he did here a few months ago, so if you went to that...). There are also a lot of articles at Alfie's website. Few are actually parenting articles, but you might find the ones about education equally interesting, given your situation.

And here's another article, from the Natural Child website, about how children react to control.
Yeah, I have the book, and REALLY need to read it. The ideas I've grasped at so far tell me that I should probably be using it as a reference.

I just need to figure out a way to present it to him. He had a very different childhood experience than I did. Said that it really wasn't that bad. He was a much more productive student than I was. He still has all of his letters in his little "treasure box" and there are many. He was one of only six to graduate from the physics program at the University of Oregon in 1997. What's interesting though, is that everyone who experienced it with him, had a different thing to say about it. I know his parents had great difficulty with him, and his sister talked about how it was just a REALLY hard few years from the start of high school until he left. So, while he was focused, he was also apparently quite a "handful".

I think he forgets this.

So... I need to read this, outline the key points and actually prepare a well thought out presentation of the subject matter before he will even listen to me. Hopefully, it will work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolinsmama View Post
hey my dh works hazmat too LOL yep, speaking of, i am at work and almost throwing up on my desk/keyboard...
Yeah, I think I remember us talking about this! We should get together again soon! I want to hear about your trip!
#269 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hm. I do not care for IKEA couches and loveseats. Not my style. Where else should I look?
dania?

kieran snubbed the zoo, we did CM. as leaving, he hears zoo train, THEN he wants to go- both in 1 day? not for us. and he insist that when we do go and do zoo train, we must ride the disel.
#270 of 2000 Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Also, so bizarre that none of the 5 children who were exposed to Jake's pox are showing any symptoms. It is like day 19 from exposure. Maybe his contagious period was extremely short?
I'm so bummed out that Keagan hasn't got it yet. We still have 2 days though :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page