Westside is the best side in August! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#211 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
Hey guys! Just thought I'd pop in and see if anyone is interested in meeting us up at Latourell Falls on Thursday for our hike. Should be really beautiful! :

HERE is a post about it on my blog.
At the risk of letting my paranoia show don't you worry about people seeing that you'll be going on these hikes by yourself with your children? People who might want to intercept your trek and otherwise bother you?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#212 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for thinking of us I'm not much of a worrier. Maybe if it were at night, and secluded, but it's pretty busy at most of these places.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#213 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
 
kaPOW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
Thanks for thinking of us I'm not much of a worrier. Maybe if it were at night, and secluded, but it's pretty busy at most of these places.
Well, I hope you get some fellow hikers to go with you!! More fun that way anyway. The falls looks beautiful

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
kaPOW! is offline  
#214 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope so, too! Ciara has more fun when she has someone to run along with And it's so great to enjoy something beautiful like that together with someone else.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#215 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
 
Ell-Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am going to do the opposite of natural and beautiful and take Max to the State Fair. : Anyone want to join us?
Ell-Bell is offline  
#216 of 235 Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM
 
LiLStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
we went on saturday, lots of fun! check out the petting zoo, there's a WALLABY in there!!!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
LiLStar is online now  
#217 of 235 Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's everyone up to today?

We're just going to our neighborhood park and hitting up the library. I love me some library : I have about a bajillion CDs on hold so I can burn them and have CDs for my new car. Wee! I haven't had a CD player in my car in ages. I've been stuck with dumpy cars since my Jetta passed (RIP).

Today, I'm meeting up with a local friend I met recently. I'm excited, because she homeschools, too, and has a 4 year old, and another that's just a few months older than Oliver. Yay for friends that are in town!

Also, our crack head neighbors are moving! : They have two little girls that Ciara idolizes, and lately they have just been plain cruel to her (telling her to shut up and go away!). I would have loved it if she could play with them (before they turned into brats), but their mom won't let them come over here, and the police are at their place all the time. Even if she would be just in the backyard, that doesn't feel right to me. Our other neighbor told me they were big methheads, but then cleaned up (I saw an enormous garbage truck filled to the brim with trash outside their home, no joke). Still, there are teenagers going in an out there. It's just a mess. SO happy they are leaving! Maybe, just maybe, someone normal with kids will move in?

I was also thinking about Fall and Winter. What's everyone do when the weather is bad and you can't let the kids out to play? Ciara was younger before, and last winter I was still getting in the groove of two kids, so we didn't go out much. But now they are both running around, and I need some ideas. I am trying to think of someplace local, but man, Newberg is severely lacking in the indoor fun. There is no place to let the kids run wild inside. Maybe I should start a Newberg thread? Or maybe a Newberg/Sherwood/Wilsonville/McMinnville thread? That doesnt' really roll off the tongue very well, though

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#218 of 235 Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
 
rambunctiouscurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just cleaning today. We'll probably go to the park in the evening. I'm wierd but it's my favorite time to go there.

For the winter, I am going to be working during the day but we'll probably do lots of Out of this World/Papa's Pizza and library time in the evenings and on weekends.

I'm glad those neighbours are moving. the whole situation sounds increadibly sad.

and yes, I'm planning on hiking on thursday.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
rambunctiouscurls is offline  
#219 of 235 Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
 
KateMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We took the max downtown to see the oregon ballet theatre practicing in the south park blocks. I used to go on my lunch break when I worked downtown. It was really fun, its going on the rest of the week if anyone is interested. The max was not so fun but I wanted to try something different. And we ran into Jenn so it was worth it!

I updated my blog with our totally awesome weekend if anyone is interested!

Oh, and Nicole, check out Out of this world if you haven't already. We will be busy with school and on non-school days I plan on going to our health club for swimming (together) and yoga (for just me). That fills up my whole week! But I will be willing to skip yoga if any playgroups start up again....
KateMary is offline  
#220 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Amira View Post
I'm just cleaning today. We'll probably go to the park in the evening. I'm wierd but it's my favorite time to go there.

For the winter, I am going to be working during the day but we'll probably do lots of Out of this World/Papa's Pizza and library time in the evenings and on weekends.

I'm glad those neighbours are moving. the whole situation sounds increadibly sad.

and yes, I'm planning on hiking on thursday.
I like going to the park in the evening, but it's no fun for the kids, because there aren't any other kids there. My favorite, actually, is to go at night I love night walks.

I haven't been to OOTW! I will have to try and make it sometime.

It is sad! I feel so bad for those girls (when they aren't being big meanies to Ciara).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary View Post
I updated my blog with our totally awesome weekend if anyone is interested!

Oh, and Nicole, check out Out of this world if you haven't already. We will be busy with school and on non-school days I plan on going to our health club for swimming (together) and yoga (for just me). That fills up my whole week! But I will be willing to skip yoga if any playgroups start up again....
Ooh, looks like you guys had a blast! I am SO jealous! I wanted to see Jack Johnson when he was here this month, but didn't have anyone to go with. I love him. His song "Better Together" is me and Oliver's song. One night it was on, and I danced with teeny baby Oliver in my arms, singing it to him. It was a very special moment

I haven't been to a concert since I was pregnant with Ciara. I am, however, going to see Sigur Rós in Octobor

Tonight's been so fun. We've been singing and dancing all over the house to The Beatles, just blaring it and yelling the lyrics. I am so totally happy right now.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#221 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 AM
 
neomia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having a sore throat over here. Ron has been really sick the last two days, so I hope I don't get it as bad as him. But on a happy note, we got the keys for our new place yesterday. : So it's official. Too bad I only have about 10 boxes packed. If anybody wants to come over in the evening (or any time you could come alone) and hold the baby while I pack, that would rock! Not a very nice invite after I just said I had a soar throat! But hopefully that will pass in a couple days. I would love to have helpers/playmates for Orion, but unfortunately, he has been on some kind of psycho mode whenever people come here, so I am worried nothing would get accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
we are doing the sale again not this upcoming weekend but the following weekend.

i have to post here cause i think its ok to post here and i dont run the risk of someone seeing this....
dude, that is our moving weekend! if you end up with clothes left, maybe i can come look at them during the week

i'm so sorry this happened to you, tiff. i have had a couple big fall outs with friends in the past few years, and it is the most depressing thing ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
Hey guys! Just thought I'd pop in and see if anyone is interested in meeting us up at Latourell Falls on Thursday for our hike. Should be really beautiful! :
Dang, I would totally love to come, but I don't think I am going to be magickally well by tomorrow. That, and I should keep trying to get some stuff done around here, even if it is only one box a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary View Post
I updated my blog with our totally awesome weekend if anyone is interested!
Oh, I am soooo jealous! Can we come next time and pay your parents to watch our kids too.
neomia is offline  
#222 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 AM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anything i have left Lisa is yours to paw through.
<3 hope you feel better

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#223 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 AM
 
LucyRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary View Post
We took the max downtown to see the oregon ballet theatre practicing in the south park blocks. I used to go on my lunch break when I worked downtown. It was really fun, its going on the rest of the week if anyone is interested. The max was not so fun but I wanted to try something different. And we ran into Jenn so it was worth it!

I updated my blog with our totally awesome weekend if anyone is interested!

Oh, and Nicole, check out Out of this world if you haven't already. We will be busy with school and on non-school days I plan on going to our health club for swimming (together) and yoga (for just me). That fills up my whole week! But I will be willing to skip yoga if any playgroups start up again....
I have some friends that went to the Ballet thing today. If my email wasn't buggered over the last couple days I might have went along too!

Kate, your weekend looked perfect! I'm jealous too. I saw Beck at Golden Gate Park too a long long time ago. It was for the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 96 or 97? jeeeeez. The monks were amazing. I love a good music fest. Oh, speaking of that, I have friends whose truck broke down 2 hours from reaching Burning Man! They were towing a trailer to stay in, and I don't even know what has become of them. Maybe they hitched a ride and are having a true adventure.

I think I'm going to see Built To Spill next month. woooo!

Tiff, sorry to hear about the issues with your friend. I've been there too and it was absolutely heartbreaking.

Lisa, hope your throat is magically better in the morning.

Nicole, yay for no more Cracky McCrackens!

I had a poopy day.::

Hopefully I'll see some of you someday again. Feels like it has been a million zillion years.
LucyRev is offline  
#224 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
 
KateMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post

Kate, your weekend looked perfect! I'm jealous too. I saw Beck at Golden Gate Park too a long long time ago. It was for the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 96 or 97? jeeeeez. The monks were amazing. I love a good music fest. Oh, speaking of that, I have friends whose truck broke down 2 hours from reaching Burning Man! They were towing a trailer to stay in, and I don't even know what has become of them. Maybe they hitched a ride and are having a true adventure.
Sean went to that Tibetan Freedom Concert too! And my BIL is going to burning man and bought a trailer but he couldn't back up with it hooked to his SUV. Sean tried to teach him but he couldn't do it, so he is driving all the way there without backing up!
KateMary is offline  
#225 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM
 
oregonbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary View Post
Sean went to that Tibetan Freedom Concert too! And my BIL is going to burning man and bought a trailer but he couldn't back up with it hooked to his SUV. Sean tried to teach him but he couldn't do it, so he is driving all the way there without backing up!
My inlaws used to have an RV and my father in law only stayed in campgrounds where he could get a drive through spot because he couldn't back it up either.

OK, my rant, why is it so hard to figure out childcare?!! I posted a while back about this, but I am working part-time and need to find childcare. OK, so most of it is I don't know what I need because my hours are unpredictable but I have asked around and tried on craigslist and I just sent a job posting at PCC and haven't been able to hook up with anyone I liked. I interviewed one girl yesterday and I wasn't thrilled with her but I may have to hire her cuz I can't find anyone else. Where are all the good babysitters?
oregonbound is offline  
#226 of 235 Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
 
LiLStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I might be able to help you out a bit. My dd is just a few days younger than Malia, so it might be fun. I don't know what I'd be able to commit to as far as long term/regular hours, but what days/times are you needing care for?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
LiLStar is online now  
#227 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG, we had a blast today! It was a crazy hike, but such fun.

I took a ton of pictures!

I'm going to be so sore tomorrow!

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#228 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 AM
 
oregonbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I might be able to help you out a bit. My dd is just a few days younger than Malia, so it might be fun. I don't know what I'd be able to commit to as far as long term/regular hours, but what days/times are you needing care for?
I am hoping for twice a week for about 4 or 5 hours, so that I can do my work or I also volunteer in my older kids' classrooms at school so I will need someone to watch Malia for that time too. Where do you live? I am in Tigard, but it's close to Beaverton. We should hang out sometime anyway since our girls are so close in age. Next week my oldest starts school so it's just me and the little ones. Anyone planning any playdates or get togethers?
oregonbound is offline  
#229 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Momma2DoubleCuties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: surrounded in testosterone
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! Been crazy busy lately!! Between school beginning, my SIL's wedding next weekend and her bachelorette party this weekend, all the animals. We got a new puppy and a new car!! Hopefully once school starts, Paul starts this week and Henry the week after I might have a few minutes to catch my breath. Hope everyone is doing good!! :

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Momma2DoubleCuties is offline  
#230 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
 
oregonbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
OMG, we had a blast today! It was a crazy hike, but such fun.

I took a ton of pictures!

I'm going to be so sore tomorrow!
What gorgeous pictures! We've been to Multnomah Falls with the kids, but never there. Maybe I should put it on my list We had plans already but maybe one day soon I'll join you on a hike.
oregonbound is offline  
#231 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
 
LiLStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbound View Post
I am hoping for twice a week for about 4 or 5 hours, so that I can do my work or I also volunteer in my older kids' classrooms at school so I will need someone to watch Malia for that time too. Where do you live? I am in Tigard, but it's close to Beaverton. We should hang out sometime anyway since our girls are so close in age. Next week my oldest starts school so it's just me and the little ones. Anyone planning any playdates or get togethers?
I live right by the streets of tansbourne. And yes, we should definitely get together!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
LiLStar is online now  
#232 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
 
rambunctiouscurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tiff:



Nicole, You are an awesome photographer. those pictures are breathtaking!

Kate, count me among the jealous ones, too!

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
rambunctiouscurls is offline  
#233 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
unlegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hayden Island, N. Portland, OR
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbound View Post
What gorgeous pictures! We've been to Multnomah Falls with the kids, but never there. Maybe I should put it on my list We had plans already but maybe one day soon I'll join you on a hike.
Thanks, Minta! It was very beautiful, but definitely a workout. Lots of steep climbs! I was so surprised every place we read about said it was an 'easy' hike. Yeah, right!

You should if you get a chance. The kids always have a blast going out and running around. Especially if there are other kids to have fun with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Amira View Post
Nicole, You are an awesome photographer. those pictures are breathtaking!
Thank you! I wish I knew more about my camera, though. I so need to take a class or read a book or SOMETHING. I have this kick ass camera, but most of the time I'm just guessing what will work.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
unlegal is offline  
#234 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
 
oregonbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I live right by the streets of tansbourne. And yes, we should definitely get together!
Maybe we can meet in the middle, like at the Beaverton Library or the City Park. I am free pretty much any day next week, and mornings are best for us, before Malia takes a nap. How does next week look for you?
oregonbound is offline  
#235 of 235 Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
 
LiLStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure we don't have anything going next week. I'm game for whichever of those is closest to a max station

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
LiLStar is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off