September is here, PDX Mamas! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH got a laptop on craigslist. It's supposed to be better than mine and he wanted me to take that one and give this one to Elizabeth. BUT it doesn't have a card reader built into it... .and i use that ALL THE TIME. So when he wakes up I am going to tell him I don't want it.. and he is prolly going to get annoyed about it. Elizabeth can have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Packing packing packing packing!

I had a nightmare last night about Sarah Palin. She was president. And there was something to do with hanging out laundry. It was bad.
#363 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM

And, do your teenager and husband do the laundry? If not, why would they care? They should try it once -- Breana talks about how her husband likes it better.

oddly enough, they do! well maybe i can let Drew read that...
it is so weird, because Normally, he is Mr. Green.

i apologize for not keeping up with you mamas!
#364 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Here's the cake, finally done!

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=S6303488.jpg

The recipe called for two 10 inch cake pans and I only had 8 inch pans so the leftover batter made a dozen cupcakes as well. Here is Sophia enjoying one
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=S6303482.jpg

Take note that there was not enough frosting for all the cupcakes. Here another cute picture of the world's cutest toddler. (preschooler?)

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=S6303483.jpg

I really liked how it came out although if I ever made it again I don't know if I would have used dark baking chocolate. I really love dark chocolate but it makes for a super intense cake. There is coffee in it too.

I am really new at cooking and baking so I still take pictures of everything I cook or bake.
i love coffee...and bittersweet chocolate!

what a super cutie!
#365 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Hrm.. Gmail is not working.
#366 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
This may be a weird question, but I've always had indoor cats, and now my cat's been going outside, and has decided that she's much happier that way, and I'm much happier that way, because then she's generally less of a PITA. So now, she wants to go outside, and I'm nervous about letting her, because it's night time. Those of you with outdoor cats, do you keep them in at night?

Also, after I move, is she more likely to get lost if I let her out? Keeping her in will be pretty impossible, because the 2.5 year old has free access to the back yard through a sliding glass door, which then stays open. Sprogly could be counted on to keep the cat from going out, but not the younger child. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.
i have had both kinds: cats who go out during the day but stay in at night and cats that go in and out/day and night at will. I think it depends on the personality of the cat.
Is the cat savvy and scrappy? Can he/she take care of itself? There can be more dangers at night to be sure, from night time prowling animals (yes i have had both a racoon and a opossum attack my kitties) and cars...

In terms of moving, it can be confusing for cats. I would let the kitty get used to the place before giving total free range if possible. I have had a kitty get lost after moving and never return It was a pretty neurotic cat tho.
Cats are smart and after a couple of days of getting the smell and getting that you all LIVE there now, he/she should be fine!
#367 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Hey there mamas! I told you about the blog contributor job I got, well the blog is now live!
It is called The Tranquil Parent and is in the network with Zrecs and Prizey (two great blogs!). I am proud to write a Self-care and Relaxation weekly column. Please bookmark it and support this new blog which will have options for greener, happier, healthier and safer parenting!
And if you like my entries, please leave comments/feedback (in other words, make me look good tee hee...)
#368 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Candice i am sending good house vibes your way :
Pauline, OMG that cake looks amazingly delicious! and Soph is such a freakin cutie!!!!
Hedy, we are still down for photos

is there anything hotter than a man who sings to entertain kids? seriously the Imagination movers are h.o.t.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#369 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM

I need motivation to get on my bike today. Serious. Motivation. It's cloudy, and I don't wanna.
#370 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 05:15 PM

AND now i want to eat chocolate cake! thanks

the sun *just* peeked out here. maybe that will help

shitsticks is right. we didn't get to see the show last night because you know....4:30 is just toooo early to go to a show and 8768766x other people were trying to get in too. we rode our bikes up there and at least that was a lot of fun. my little leggies are sore today. and then we went to dinner : and stopped at a couple of watering holes to refresh ourselves i was pretty irked about the show but pretty much knew that was going to be the outcome when doug didn't want to go early. still a nice date night and i feel like i got some exercise.

that's awesome about the loan candice : late vibes for the place you saw this morning.

maybe we need some vitD over here. ebin has been sleeping like carp.

so isaac wanted to walk down to a garage sale yesterday and MIL came back carrying a tv for his ROOM it will be going bye-bye when she goes bye-bye
#371 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post

so isaac wanted to walk down to a garage sale yesterday and MIL came back carrying a tv for his ROOM it will be going bye-bye when she goes bye-bye
What is it with MILs, anyway?? I mean, seriously! A TV for his room? :

I am so glad my in-laws live in Albuquerque. Although I am jealous of your date night Glad you had fun, even if you didn't get to see the show.

Candice, any news on the house??

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#372 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM

I think bath has actually replaced nap around here. Maddy asks to have a bath, and then emerges all energized until 9. Cliff actually commented yesterday, "wow, did you have a good nap today?" Nope, just a good bath. I actually managed to lie down a bit while she was in the bath today, but it wasn't long enough.

Only a couple of weeks to go...

I missed Candice but I did see her adorable family! Maddy was really weirded out by Talula I think because she's never seen someone who looked so much like her. Normally she says "hi" and smiles a lot but she just stared silently. I asked her later if she thought she was another Maddy and she suddenly laughed and said, "yeah, another Maddy!"

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#373 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM

THE BABIES ARE HOME! THE BABIES ARE HOME!
both boys were released this morning and are settling in to their new space. Celeste seems like an old pro with one in a sling at all times. We're a happy family right now, I tell ya! Ruby is even napping!

So, if I'm scarce for a while, it's because we have two new little people and a new home office running.

PS, If anyone wants to bring food, just PM me... we've (sadly) got some stupid allergies so it may not be tempting for anyone. but we'd love any support

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#374 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM

PS. Congrats on the loan Candice! :

PPS. sorry about losing sprog, Beth. That is scary. glad he's fine!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#375 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 PM

yay for babies being home! welcome home boys

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#376 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
AND now i want to eat chocolate cake! thanks

the sun *just* peeked out here. maybe that will help

shitsticks is right. we didn't get to see the show last night because you know....4:30 is just toooo early to go to a show and 8768766x other people were trying to get in too. we rode our bikes up there and at least that was a lot of fun. my little leggies are sore today. and then we went to dinner : and stopped at a couple of watering holes to refresh ourselves i was pretty irked about the show but pretty much knew that was going to be the outcome when doug didn't want to go early. still a nice date night and i feel like i got some exercise.

that's awesome about the loan candice : late vibes for the place you saw this morning.

maybe we need some vitD over here. ebin has been sleeping like carp.

Lame about the show, but I'm glad you guys made the best of it! Dates are a rare thing around here. I think I need to teach Todd more about this seemingly rare phenomenon.

And... yeah. TV for Lily's room would go straight to goodwill. All of our parents know this, thankfully. But I swear, there are some you just can't get thorough to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
THE BABIES ARE HOME! THE BABIES ARE HOME!
both boys were released this morning and are settling in to their new space. Celeste seems like an old pro with one in a sling at all times. We're a happy family right now, I tell ya! Ruby is even napping!

So, if I'm scarce for a while, it's because we have two new little people and a new home office running.

PS, If anyone wants to bring food, just PM me... we've (sadly) got some stupid allergies so it may not be tempting for anyone. but we'd love any support
Yaaay!!!!

If you want to PM or e-mail me some recipes that you both love, or even different ones so you don't have to compromise in some weird way, I'd love to help out. Just LMK.
#377 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM

OMG it's a beautiful day. I just had the most gloriously amazing ride to Lily's school. Stopped off at this really neat coffee place on 15th and Prescott called "Bean" Pauline, have you mentioned this place before? I can't remember.

Remind me never to go in there with money in my pocket though, because they have a TON of danish modern/1950's mod stuff in there all for sale, even the furniture, and well... yeah. :

Then I stopped off at New Seasons for dishwasher soap. Whole trip with stop for coffee only took an hour and 15 minutes. :

So glad I went now.
#378 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Hooray for the babies! ::

Boo on not seeing BTS.

Laura, sorry I missed you. Calling you involves two steps - 1) finding my phone, and 2) plugging it in. I'll work on it.

The "house" (as it was listed) is actually a duplex. It's in a great area, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay almost $2K a month for a duplex with the landlord living next door.

Still lookin'.
#379 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Yeah!!! For bringing home babies! I'll definitely PM you about food, Korin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
The "house" (as it was listed) is actually a duplex. It's in a great area, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay almost $2K a month for a duplex with the landlord living next door.

Still lookin'.
Ugh. Sorry 'bout that, Candice. I'm sure something perfect will come along.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#380 of 1788 Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Leah, I think it was leah..

Could you please post that information again regarding the junk mail? I don't want people to send me catalogs. I don't want coupons in the mail.. and I don't want bills. As a matter of fact, I don't want mail period. I do everything on the computer. So, if I don't need it, I don't want it. Please, HELP!

Also, if anyone has any idea's,

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post12121204

Eliza, where have you been lately? How is it going?

Candace, don't settle. It's a buyers market and your perfect home is out there!

Hedy, I am glad you have a great bike ride, I wish I could do that.. but I just don't have them ability to peddle up even a slight hill. I think I need to start out with walking this fall and maybe by spring.. we will see.

Korin.. : for babies!
#381 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 AM

not Leah, but

http://www.greendimes.com/

and this has a few

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Usef...ry=endjunkmail

i have signed up with a few different ones, every time i hear of something new i sign up for it. i still get the stupid weekly coupon fliers, but i signed up for something a week or so ago that supposedly will stop that too. i signed up for catalog choice and i think it helped some (a former tenant was obviously a big catalog shopper)
good luck! i replied to your post above.
duh, i meant the one you posted about on this thread...but it is another thread. i need to go to bed!
#382 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolinsmama View Post
not Leah, but

http://www.greendimes.com/

and this has a few

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Usef...ry=endjunkmail

i have signed up with a few different ones, every time i hear of something new i sign up for it. i still get the stupid weekly coupon fliers, but i signed up for something a week or so ago that supposedly will stop that too. i signed up for catalog choice and i think it helped some (a former tenant was obviously a big catalog shopper)
good luck! i replied to your post above.
duh, i meant the one you posted about on this thread...but it is another thread. i need to go to bed!
Hey, how is your oldest doing? Want to get together sometime next week?
#383 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 AM

woohoo for great bike rides, and babies coming home!
we have a 2nd one down with a fever and aches, and i feel cruddy myself. Salila was up all night, either talking in her sleep (fever) or crying, or up drinking water and blowing her nose. so i decided to take a short nap with her today and slept for a few hours. Drew and i were supposed to take a bike ride, with a stop at the library but he got a call from work and just got home a bit ago.
maybe tomorrow, if everyone is feeling better
#384 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 AM

Amanda is so mean.. I don't know what to do with her. Apparently I am a manipulative bitch becuase she "thinks" I told her I would take her to buy clothes the weekend after school started and I never said that. Now I have no desire to take her to buy clothes cause I don't want her to think if she gets rude and mean she can get whatever she wants. I am at a loss as to what to do with her. I wonder if our new insurance covers counseling.
#385 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Hey, how is your oldest doing? Want to get together sometime next week?
he is over it, thankfully, only a day and a half sick-he heals so fast, it is nuts.
i would love to, i will have to see how everyone is doing, i don't want to pass this crap on. i don't feel so good but i don't know if it is what he & Salila had or pms-i am totally due. my boobs are killin me. omg. (so my horrible self cure is ibuprofen, and la fin du monde)
i am totally of the thought that if you aren't having more babies, then why not just go ahead and get menopause over? that would rock!
#386 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Amanda is so mean.. I don't know what to do with her. Apparently I am a manipulative bitch becuase she "thinks" I told her I would take her to buy clothes the weekend after school started and I never said that. Now I have no desire to take her to buy clothes cause I don't want her to think if she gets rude and mean she can get whatever she wants. I am at a loss as to what to do with her. I wonder if our new insurance covers counseling.
:Grr. my teenager can be mean to me too. it is very frustrating, sad, maddening, you name it. i found an old pic of him recently at about 4 years of age, and posted it on the fridge, so he could see that yes, he did smile once! i am about to find out the same thing, i hope our insurance covers *something*.
i am going to watch whale rider now, i love that movie so much, Drew finally got me a copy of it a while back.
#387 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 AM

I have a new nephew.

Dh's sister was due on the 15th. They decided to induce becuase the baby was over 8lbs yea I know, I was told Bre was over 9lbs and she was 8lbs 4oz and came hours before I was to be induced.

Anyway Nathan was 10lbs 4oz and 21inches. I bet he would have come on his own within a week. But SIL said it was an easier birth than her last and she only pushed for 10 minutes.. So all is good. I have no pictures yet.. but I am sure they will be coming soon.
#388 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
:Grr. my teenager can be mean to me too. it is very frustrating, sad, maddening, you name it. i found an old pic of him recently at about 4 years of age, and posted it on the fridge, so he could see that yes, he did smile once! i am about to find out the same thing, i hope our insurance covers *something*.
i am going to watch whale rider now, i love that movie so much, Drew finally got me a copy of it a while back.
Your dashing my hopes that boys are easier teens than girls. DD has actually been living with my mom since Jan. because she punched me and left bruises. We pulled her out of school and put her in "web" school where she meet with a teacher once a week and she was doing better, but she was isolated from other teens. She wanted to go back to school. She started school on Wed. and by Thursday she was being so mean to me. She told me she couldn't stand me and wanted to be emancipated. She hated our family and didn't want to be part of it and on and on and on. And this was on the way to, there, and back from signing her up and buying her stuff for the ballet class she wanted to take.

Then today I dropped Elizabeth off to stay the night at my mom's and she started in on me before I was in the door. You are taking me to buy clothes tomorrow. Umm no I am taking dad to the airport, then it was on. I am not going to reward that type of behavior.
#389 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Your dashing my hopes that boys are easier teens than girls. DD has actually been living with my mom since Jan. because she punched me and left bruises. We pulled her out of school and put her in "web" school where she meet with a teacher once a week and she was doing better, but she was isolated from other teens. She wanted to go back to school. She started school on Wed. and by Thursday she was being so mean to me. She told me she couldn't stand me and wanted to be emancipated. She hated our family and didn't want to be part of it and on and on and on. And this was on the way to, there, and back from signing her up and buying her stuff for the ballet class she wanted to take.

Then today I dropped Elizabeth off to stay the night at my mom's and she started in on me before I was in the door. You are taking me to buy clothes tomorrow. Umm no I am taking dad to the airport, then it was on. I am not going to reward that type of behavior.
my girl is my youngest, just turned 5 (my boys are 9 & 15)...i have heard that "girls are so much harder than boys" stuff and i am not sure i believe it anymore. i know they are different, yes.
oh no! i have wished more than once i could send him to any one of my parents! unfortunately our families are over 2000 miles away. he has said many times we embarrass him, are annoying, etc. i could go on and on, in fact the last time (about a week ago) i took him to get some of his art copied for this show and the whole way there and back it was terrible. i finally got to the root of it, he felt bad that i was helping him (for some reason, he feels at this point in his life he should be completely self-sufficient)
no, you shouldn't reward that behavior, you are right.
maybe there is some counseling help through the school? if you can't get it through insurance? there needs to be a moms of teenagers group, like support!:nana:
#390 of 1788 Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
no, you shouldn't reward that behavior, you are right.
maybe there is some counseling help through the school? if you can't get it through insurance? there needs to be a moms of teenagers group, like support!:nana:

i would like to respectfully suggest that seeking deeper connection through doing stuff that is meaningful to one's teenager, with them, is not necessarily "rewarding" behavior, but can also be viewed as looking *beyond* the behavior to the universal unmet need behind it. if one is looking at interactions from a compassionate communication viewpoint (NVC), all behaviors are an attempt to meet a need. a universal human need. as hard as it is - and i KNOW its hard - i have a teenage girl and am not immune to these challenges - if we can focus in on what the need is behind the behavior we can move away from a reward and punishment mindset and toward helping our children find better strategies to meet their needs. this doesn't happen through withdrawal of affection or support, which unfortunately is how refusal to do something important to them is experienced by them regardless of our motivations.

our teenagers (and younger children for that matter) also learn from what we do, and so our conditional responses forge that pattern in them as well, and eventually they may also be acting on automatic "programs" and reacting to things we do that make them angry with a mindset of "i won't reward that behavior" instead of a mindset of ultimate trust and connection and seeking to get back to balance when things feel out of balance.

that said, i also struggle with this stuff every day, but i find when i am most centered i can really see the needs and feelings shining through and respond to those, instead of the outward behavior. its is how *i* want to be treated as well - on my shaky days, my rocky days, when my *outward* behavior might not be as "acceptable" as other times, because i am more needy and not seeing a way toward getting my needs met - i certainly wouldn't want my husband withdrawing affection or support in the name of not rewarding my behavior - and kids are no different. they are less mature, but still experience the whole constellation of feelings, responses, defenses and needs that we do and respond to the same kinds of treatment, so i often find it helpful to think about how *i* would want to be treated in a similar situation.

warmly, Lyla

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page