September is here, PDX Mamas! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beth.. I am sorry to hear that.

I have still never been to an Ikea.. but a lot of their stuff online looks funky.. not the style I would want.

We were going to buy a day trundle bed there for DD's room but ended up getting one for near the same price at a furniture store.. I am glad now cuase my friend who bought that bed for her daughter siad it fell apart quickly.
#422 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
That's good news. Between offering it up and now, Ryan has rediscovered his love of the trailer and we've been using it for groceries. I think he might have some separation anxiety to see it go. But, the girl needs to get to school How long do you think you'll need it?

It fits into a trunk ok so long as there is nothing else in it. Unless you have a smaller than average trunk. It should be fine though, me thinks. I'll be home all day Thursday waiting for IKEA to replace the defective headboard and footboard they sold me. :
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your cold! Thursday might work, although by then the bike might be ready. I'll keep ya posted for sure. I know what separation anxiety from something wonderful like that is like... or even something not... exactly containing the same value. I lent my mom my copy of "Spiritual Midwifery", and am already missing it, even though I don't read it all the time. It's been a week. So yeah. I hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Yeah, I'm here. Really did a number on myself, every part of my body hurts. I went to bed an hour ago, and couldn't sleep from all the aches. Took naproxen, it's not touching it. I drank about a half gallon of water and I'm still thirsty.

I agree that Sprogly is probably having a blast. He was so sweet when I left him, so happy and excited, and he gave me kisses. (He's not generally a kissy guy.) I miss him so much.

Anyway. I'd like some grapes.
Yeah, it does sound like you really did do a number on yourself.

Quote:
I have to say, I'm not so in love with Ikea any more. I don't like the way they design some of their furniture. The bed that I got was very difficult to put together, for really stupid reasons, and they designed it so that it can't be disassembled. I mean, it really can't be. So, this is why my lovely bed is sitting outside my house waiting for someone to come buy it. Someone who has a truck, and really wide doorways and straight halls in their house.
Oh that sucks. I was thinking I might be interested in something for my guest room, although... my house is your typical 1930's tudor with crazy little nooks and crannies. That is the thing that I've kind of discovered about them. I think most of their stuff was designed with mid-century to modern architecture in mind. Great if you have an open floor plan. Not so great if you don't. I guess most of it wouldn't go in my house anyway. Most of our furniture is Queen Anne. (That was one nice gesture on Todd's grandma's part. She gave us all of her SERIOUSLY cool/old furniture, and kept her danish modern stuff for herself. I love danish modern too, but I think I like this stuff better.) Anyway, my grandma did too, since I was really her only blood relative she wanted to leave anything to. So it's neat to have a house full of antique furnishings we didn't have to pay for.

I am thinking of getting some new curtains and sheets though. Our sheets are getting pretty sad. I have NO idea what Todd does in the night but the area by his feet is seriously worn. All 4 sets that we have. Worn. In the same spot. It's like he dreams about running or something. I don't know. But. Seriously. Worn. I have never seen anything like this before.
#423 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Amanda is home from school with a headache. They are apparently back. It could be the reason for her nasty behavior. I don't know what i am going to do if school gives her headaches and she wants to be there.

She REFUSES to see a chiro. She doesn't believe in them. Heck, before I cloth diapered, or ate organic food, or used alternative medicine we used Chrios. Bah.

I have to clean. This house is gross. It wont last long. Bah and triple Bah.
#424 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I just looked at the class list for Bre's school. (as I am picking it off the floor where Alex threw it. ) And it is in no order at all. Usually these things are in SOME sort of alphabetical order. First name, last name.. SOMETHING.. but nope.. these names are just slapped up there in random order.
#425 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM

I... hit a squirrel on our way to Lily's school this morning. Tried SO hard not to... really really did. Still got him with my back tire. Just couldn't slow down in time. I told Lily that the squirrel went to the "Big Sleep". Didn't really know what to say, and didn't want to bum her out on her first day of kindergarten.

Todd was with us... and reassured me saying I did everything I could to avoid the suicidal squirrel. I still feel horrible though. I love squirrels.
#426 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
I guess most of it wouldn't go in my house anyway.
Oh, it will go in, because you build it in place. You just won't be able to get it out again.

I like my Ikea sheets, though. I can't remember what they're called, but they're not the most expensive ones, nor are they the cheapest ones. And I'll still buy a desk there, eventually, because I know you can take the legs off of the one I want.

I'm using my dining table for a desk now. It fit in the space and works nicely. Housemate has a dining table with a leaf for when there are extra people, that works better in the space. So glad I didn't sell this table!
#427 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Our table is hilariously huge. I think it's supposed to seat 18 or something when it's got all 4 leaves in. As it is now, with no leaves, 4-6 people can sit fairly comfortably at it. You can tell that two of the leaves have never been used because the finish is still perfect, not faded at all. For fun, when it was delivered, I put all 4 leaves in. I had to angle it out of our dining room because it no longer fit in there.

I guess maybe some day... but certainly not now.
#428 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 PM

I need super awesome vibes that we get a gorgeous house that I looked at yesterday! : :
#429 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM

: : : : : :

Details? :
#430 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM

"I'll be there within the hour" would generally mean an hour or less, right? Because I've been waiting an hour and 20 minutes for this guy to come get the bed. And it's outside, and he has my address. If I leave, he could just take it. He's not answering his cell. I need to get going.
#431 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM

It's on Yamhill right next to Mt. Tabor Park. It has a wine cellar...like I could ever keep wine around long enough to use it, but still. It's very pretty. We would be renting it, but they want to sell it in two years, so...maybe we would be in a better position to buy it by then. The rent is actually affordable, considering how rad it is and how good the location is.

: :
#432 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Ooh! Awesome! Goes without saying that the area alone would make me want it in a bad way.
#433 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I... hit a squirrel on our way to Lily's school this morning. Tried SO hard not to... really really did. Still got him with my back tire. Just couldn't slow down in time. I told Lily that the squirrel went to the "Big Sleep". Didn't really know what to say, and didn't want to bum her out on her first day of kindergarten.

Todd was with us... and reassured me saying I did everything I could to avoid the suicidal squirrel. I still feel horrible though. I love squirrels.
Awe. I hit a duck in the same way <gasp> 10+ years ago and it still makes me feel bad. But, there's not much you can do about that back wheel!!

First day of kindergarten!!!! Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I need super awesome vibes that we get a gorgeous house that I looked at yesterday! : :
: It sounds so cool!!!

Quote:
"I'll be there within the hour" would generally mean an hour or less, right? Because I've been waiting an hour and 20 minutes for this guy to come get the bed. And it's outside, and he has my address. If I leave, he could just take it. He's not answering his cell. I need to get going.
Oh cool, you got today off too? I just biked by your house.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#434 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM

What the feck am I going to do with this bed? The guy who just blew me off came by and looked, and decided he didn't want it, and didn't bother to let me know for an hour and a half. Nobody wants it if it can't come apart. If it could come apart, I'd keep it. Duh.
#435 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What the feck am I going to do with this bed? The guy who just blew me off came by and looked, and decided he didn't want it, and didn't bother to let me know for an hour and a half. Nobody wants it if it can't come apart. If it could come apart, I'd keep it. Duh.
It seriously can't come apart? Like it was designed that way? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard of.
#436 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Can you call Ikea and ask them if they know some super secret trick to getting it apart? Aside from a chainsaw of course.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#437 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
It seriously can't come apart? Like it was designed that way? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard of.
It's maddening. Further googleage reveals that, while it's the official Ikea position that they cannot be disassembled (they don't say it can't be done, just that they won't advise you), people have done it. There are a couple of tricky spots that I'll have to negotiate, but I'm going to try. I'm going to try to get some extra hardware so that I don't have to sweat over any stripped screws.

ETA, ok, sometimes the trick is to keep calling until you get the right rep. Because this one told me how to get the cam locks out, and some other tricks as well. The person yesterday told me you couldn't disassemble it without possibly breaking it, and they didn't support it. So, I think I'm going to go to Ikea tonight. And I don't have a whole lot of time, because I still have to go out to Beaverton. Wish they'd told me this yesterday. Half the day is gone. PTO doesn't grow on trees, ya know.
#438 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Champoeg park is Hands Down the place where a group of us should camp. The yurt village is where it's at, folks. A nice, central grassy area for play and picnicing, privacy friendly yurts tucked around the central area, with more grassy awesomeness behind. Biking, walking, playground wonderment all around. It is definitely the best little "camping community" for a group to share 7 yurts and kind of get a "MDC village" going.
We'd join you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Babies. so. very. sweet.

Ovaries. screaming!
I hear you. Mine are screaming too

Quote:
:

Tina - I'm sorry you and Amanda are having such a hard time right now.

And Lyla - I agree, you are awesome :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#439 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
And Lyla - I agree, you are awesome :
wow, tiffany, savannah, susannah - thanks for all the love! :

everything i share is just stuff i WISH someone had shared with me - its mostly stuff i did WRONG and suffered from and i hope to save others the trauma of those same mistakes and also prevent the necessity of reinventing the wheel over and over again...
#440 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Beth, that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Why would they make a bed that can't come apart, or have some crazy voodoo secret to get it to come apart? I don't get it.
#441 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Beth, that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Why would they make a bed that can't come apart, or have some crazy voodoo secret to get it to come apart? I don't get it.
So you have to leave it and buy a new one when you move silly.

I almost hit a goose today. WTF was a goose crossing the road for? I think it was a goose anyway... It flew when I honked at it.
#442 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
It's on Yamhill right next to Mt. Tabor Park. It has a wine cellar...like I could ever keep wine around long enough to use it, but still. It's very pretty. We would be renting it, but they want to sell it in two years, so...maybe we would be in a better position to buy it by then. The rent is actually affordable, considering how rad it is and how good the location is.

: :
We would be NEIGHBORS!

PS. I am officially working from home. First pts in 15 mins. I guess i should get ready.
:::::

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#443 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

leaving for my boob u/s soon.
feeling a bit nervous they might have to do a needle biopsy.
do not want!
breathe in breathe out.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#444 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Good luck Tiff.
#445 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Yay for working from home! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
leaving for my boob u/s soon.
feeling a bit nervous they might have to do a needle biopsy.
do not want!
breathe in breathe out.
:
#446 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM

I've had it. I am emailing people off craigs list for cleaning. Does anyone here do house cleaning? PM me.
#447 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of Craigs list... I need some computer help. I don't have a defragmenter, for one. I have about 5% of my memory left. And my computer is suuuuuper slow. I hesitate to bring it in anywhere because that's always been a slippery slope with other computers and I'm worried about losing all my photos, documents, etc. Also, I don't want a stranger picking over my birth photos. I'm paranoid like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are any of you computer repair people, or have them in your families???? Or any shop recs? Help!!!

Tiff :

Wow Beth, if you're able to get it apart and cont to use it, how awesome that the guy blew you off!!! One less purchase to have to worry about. And I'll put it in my notes that IKEA service is highly dependent on the person on the other line.

Susannah and Tiff:
I think I can't book anything until nine months before we want to camp. What months work well for you guys? Anyone else?

Hedy: Waaiiit a minute. How did you get Lily to school today?!?!?!?!?!

Happy first day of work (from home) Korin!

#448 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions? Are any of you computer repair people, or have them in your families???? Or any shop recs? Help!!!
DH does computer repair, and unlike shops the LAST thing he will do is whip the drive and reinstall Windows. He HATES shops that do that but it's what everyone does cause it's easiest.

He also doesn't go through peoples data or photos. He is the LEAST nosy person I know. .and to be honest.. he just doesn't care whats in your files.

He is in San Antonio until Sat. however and he takes mass transit to work..Do you live on a bus/train route? His breaks are shot and I am not letting him drive his car til they are fixed and I don't let him drive mine.

Or you could bring it out here even if you wanted.

Let me know if you don't find anyone else. I have lost track of what he charges per hour cause he doesn't do a lot of one on one work anymore.

Oh and if you decide to put in a bigger hard drive he can transfer your data.
#449 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Korin, I know! Neighbors! *squeal* Hooray for officially working from home!

Tiff, :

Beth, I hope you get your dumb bed figured out. How frustrating on such limited time. :

Lyla, I agree that you're awesome, : and you know, there's a real need for someone like you who can give advice on dealing with older kids. There really is not a lot out there beyond the realm of tough love and all that. We need a Scott Noelle Daily Groove and parenting coach targeted to parents of tweens and teens. As a former "troubled teen," I am working really hard to build what I can with Tania now (she's 9), so that we have a lot of credibility with one another when she's a teen. I can clearly see that my teenage problems really started earlier than that, with a lack of communication and trust with my parents as a 7,8,9, etc. year old, even though they meant well and tried their best. But it seems like good resources are hard to come by at Tania's age (and then impossible for teenagers). I'm doing what I can to show her that I love her and she can trust me, but more resources and encouragement and ideas and thought-promoting at this stage would be so helpful. Have you ever tried googling "teen help" or anything like that? You'll come up on a bunch of boarding schools and camps that are tough love in nature, the LAST thing a hurting teenager needs. Can you tell how damaged I am from being sent to one of those tough love schools as a teen? No, really, I'm over it now, but I just want to do better for my girls.
#450 of 1788 Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
DH does computer repair, and unlike shops the LAST thing he will do is whip the drive and reinstall Windows. He HATES shops that do that but it's what everyone does cause it's easiest.

He also doesn't go through peoples data or photos. He is the LEAST nosy person I know. .and to be honest.. he just doesn't care whats in your files.

He is in San Antonio until Sat. however and he takes mass transit to work..Do you live on a bus/train route? His breaks are shot and I am not letting him drive his car til they are fixed and I don't let him drive mine.

Or you could bring it out here even if you wanted.

Let me know if you don't find anyone else. I have lost track of what he charges per hour cause he doesn't do a lot of one on one work anymore.

Oh and if you decide to put in a bigger hard drive he can transfer your data.
Ooooh, awesome. That sounds perfect, assuming he's affordable. I live on a couple of busroutes. Or I could come out there.

Quote:

Lyla, I agree that you're awesome, : and you know, there's a real need for someone like you who can give advice on dealing with older kids. There really is not a lot out there beyond the realm of tough love and all that. We need a Scott Noelle Daily Groove and parenting coach targeted to parents of tweens and teens. As a former "troubled teen," I am working really hard to build what I can with Tania now (she's 9), so that we have a lot of credibility with one another when she's a teen. I can clearly see that my teenage problems really started earlier than that, with a lack of communication and trust with my parents as a 7,8,9, etc. year old, even though they meant well and tried their best. But it seems like good resources are hard to come by.
Yeah to all that, esp the Lyla Love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page