September is here, PDX Mamas! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you mean BARBER! dan.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#242 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Tiff I am sorry about the breast problems. I see you have an appointment on Monday. I am sure everything is going to work out great.

Sara, what a nice visit today. I hope they can ease your worries. I am glad you found a replacement for your buffalo burger. I hope you have a great camping trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
I bought a vacuum at value village today. sweet deal, $6.99 and it even worked! then when i got home, and started vacuuming the basement?

it caught on fire.
Korin, I am sorry, but the thought of your $6.99 vacuum catching on fire the first time you used it made me laugh. I am sure it was a minor fire that only damaged your vacuum or you would have told us otherwise.

So I got the results of Elizabeth's dyslexia screening today. Basically if a child has 12 to 15 errors they recommend some remediation. Elizabeth had 29 errors.. not counting her self corrections.

Her main weakness, Auditory Discrimination and sort term recall. This screener didn't even think she has ADD.. that the auditory and shot term memory recall is really her problem. So I dropped a copy off at the school and the principal said he was giving it to the teacher in charge of LD testing.

I really wish I could take her to this Park Academy, however $14,000 a year is just not doable and driving to Marylhurst every day isn't really going to work either.

Isn't it nice that you have to be rich to help your children?
#243 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
i don't do diagnostic ultrasound... just therapeutic. I could do US to break up milk clots, if thats theprob.
yeah, sorry for being unclear - that's what i meant!
#244 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM

OH the vacuum fire was wildly hilarious. no one was hurt other than my $6.99 that i should have spent on a fancy coffee since my child won't nap anymore.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#245 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Jeez. I'm getting hit for not making a paper airplane. I don't like it. I'm sending him out to play with the neighborhood hooligans. Bah!

Boo for flaming vacuum cleaners. Boo for no buffalo. I was going to offer some beef, or suggest Trader Joe's, but I see it's been sorted.

I'm going to get up and start to pack. In a minute.
#246 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
OH the vacuum fire was wildly hilarious. no one was hurt other than my $6.99 that i should have spent on a fancy coffee since my child won't nap anymore.
I once had a really old hair dryer start to blow smoke because it had too much lint on the lint filter thing. That was pretty funny too.
#247 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
I'm so disappointed. I'm going on this camping trip with all the grandparents this weekend for grandparents day (a little post-Nico tradition), and I was going to make buffalo burgers, but of course New Seasons isn't stocking buffalo anymore. I'm totally at a loss now; someone else is making chicken that same day.... I am thinking about maybe turkey burgers, but turkey always turns out so blech. This looks ok, but it's a risk; does anyone have any tried and true turkey burger recipes?
I see it looks like you have a solution, but here are two things to note:
1) Trader Joe's carries buffalo burgers. Already formed into patties and frozen, but it might do in a pinch.
2) Not tried and true, but the other day I made Teriyaki Turkey Burgers. We make turkey burgers all the time and they are never terrible. The trick is to NOT buy the LEAN or Extra-lean ground turkey, because there is practically no fat in it and the burgers come out dry. For the teriyaki, I just minced 5 or 6 chunks of pineapple, dumped in some Tamari sauce and grated a little ginger. Mixed it together and added it to the meat. Sorry I don't have exact measurements for you, but I just put everything a bowl and mix it up. They were delicious!

Quote:
I bought a vacuum at value village today. sweet deal, $6.99 and it even worked! then when i got home, and started vacuuming the basement?

it caught on fire.

it's been that kinda day i tell ya.
: Glad it was just the vacuum that burned. Do you need to borrow a vac? We hardly ever use ours. And if you want to buy another, there's a guy near us who has a yard sale every weekend, and he's always got three or four or five vacuums out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

So I got the results of Elizabeth's dyslexia screening today. Basically if a child has 12 to 15 errors they recommend some remediation. Elizabeth had 29 errors.. not counting her self corrections.

Her main weakness, Auditory Discrimination and sort term recall. This screener didn't even think she has ADD.. that the auditory and shot term memory recall is really her problem. So I dropped a copy off at the school and the principal said he was giving it to the teacher in charge of LD testing.
Glad you finally got a diagnosis. I hope it makes things easier for her at school.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#248 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Those cute, french elephants have obviously pulled the wool over your eyes, Korin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
1) Trader Joe's carries buffalo burgers. Already formed into patties and frozen, but it might do in a pinch.
2) Not tried and true, but the other day I made Teriyaki Turkey Burgers. We make turkey burgers all the time and they are never terrible. The trick is to NOT buy the LEAN or Extra-lean ground turkey, because there is practically no fat in it and the burgers come out dry. For the teriyaki, I just minced 5 or 6 chunks of pineapple, dumped in some Tamari sauce and grated a little ginger. Mixed it together and added it to the meat. Sorry I don't have exact measurements for you, but I just put everything a bowl and mix it up. They were delicious!

: Glad it was just the vacuum that burned. Do you need to borrow a vac? We hardly ever use ours. And if you want to buy another, there's a guy near us who has a yard sale every weekend, and he's always got three or four or five vacuums out there

Glad you finally got a diagnosis. I hope it makes things easier for her at school.
Thanks for the turkey support!

Is that the guy on Harrison?? WTH is the deal with all those vacuums? I'd assume that he'd bought one, discovered it was crap, bought another one, discovered that it too was crap, and so on, until he could have garage sales filled with nothing but vacuums. Wacky.

Tina - we just have to make the best out of what we have to work with. I wish there were more affordable resources available to you and your daughter. I'm sure this is a great start.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#249 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Gack! My gmail ads are all about vacuums and buffalo meat! Creepy!
#250 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

It knows what you are thinking!!
#251 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
It knows what you are thinking!!
Does it think I'm thinking about brown menstrual blood? Because I swear to you, I was not. Nor was I thinking about kids' laxatives. I can honestly say that.
#252 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Does it think I'm thinking about brown menstrual blood? Because I swear to you, I was not. Nor was I thinking about kids' laxatives. I can honestly say that.
Maybe you were thinking about that yesterday and it's just trying to catch up.
#253 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe you were thinking about that yesterday and it's just trying to catch up.
Nope...no. Never crossed my mind. Of course, I'm thinking about it now, aren't I?
#254 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Ew. Although... the ads for laxatives are probably my fault.
#255 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM

The vacuum guy probably takes free broken vacuums and fixes them as a hobby. We sold a vacuum for $35 and I'm sure it was worth more... we just wanted to get rid of it and we didn't pay anything for it originally. Maybe he bought it and marked it up?

We have a rentable filterqueen too!

I made the same meal two nights in a row and my family was thrilled! It's our favorite; I call it greek buffet because I put warm pitas on one plate, an assortment of veggies on another plate, olives, feta, and sliced seasoned lamb patties on another plate. Then everyone assembles their own dinner.

Ho hum... just waiting until my family gets bigger... just a few weeks away!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#256 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM

I suppose that's better than pasta cupboard. Hell, I want that!

We are having roasted chicken, potatoes with onions, and kale.
#257 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hedy! You're about to hit 4,444!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Sorry. It was reading my mind, there.

#258 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM

Awww yeah, baby!

I got my pads today! Yay! Thanks Susannah! :
#259 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I'm so disappointed. I'm going on this camping trip with all the grandparents this weekend for grandparents day (a little post-Nico tradition), and I was going to make buffalo burgers, but of course New Seasons isn't stocking buffalo anymore. I'm totally at a loss now; someone else is making chicken that same day.... I am thinking about maybe turkey burgers, but turkey always turns out so blech. This looks ok, but it's a risk; does anyone have any tried and true turkey burger recipes?
I have a GREAT recipe for flaming turkey burgers. So good back when I ate meat. Let me know if you want it!

Quote:

it caught on fire.

: Glad nothing else was damaged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
oh, i made an appt to get u/s on monday. good luck vibes?
:

Quote:
Bah! I knew that clear snot was up to no good. Nico sounds like he spent the week chain-smoking with Barber Dan.
Ugh see if you can get him to drink something with ACV in it? Honey helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
I once had a really old hair dryer start to blow smoke because it had too much lint on the lint filter thing. That was pretty funny too.
that happened to me once, too. Old toothbrushes are good for getting the lint off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

But okay, it makes sense if he is able to repair vacuums. That is a good eco-friendly tip... if you want to get rid of a vacuum that is broken, give it to him rather than putting it in the landfill :

Oh, see my blog today for another : tip

Quote:
T
Is that the guy on Harrison?? WTH is the deal with all those vacuums? I'd assume that he'd bought one, discovered it was crap, bought another one, discovered that it too was crap, and so on, until he could have garage sales filled with nothing but vacuums. Wacky.
laughup funny theory!
#260 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM

Oh and yes, brown menstrual blood. I know alll about that today.

Carp, that means I'll have my period for a wedding I'm going to this Saturday

At least it is at the beach and it is looking to be this weekend!! Yippee :

I feel like my moon showed up much earlier this time.
#261 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM

I appreciated that tip, Lee! Will miss the smell of the phone book, but then again, I never open them either.
#262 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM

yeah, I think I was a day early.
#263 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Awe, thanks. You know I'm smitten by you and Sophia too.

Yeah, the next meeting will be with Nico. We'll all be in her office, which is a small room with her desk, a seating area, and a small kids area. It should be interesting. I might bring some snacks or something. She'll just be watching Nico, Ryan, and me interacting with each other.
man, no one could learn anything from kieran and hubby and me in a doctor's room other than he hates to wait around

zoo was only ok, he was too tired and couldn't figure out where to go. but we saw some monkeys and the farm tractor. then i am too tired and cranky now.

sara, i go on the calendar for today. but i am on the pill, so artificially 28 days which i never would be naturally.
#264 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 PM

We're usually home when they deliver phone books... at least we have been the last couple of years. We refuse them. They try and try to deliver them over and over! It's insane! They got us once and we just put it straight into the recycling. I like that sign up idea much better, Lee! Thanks!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#265 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:

it caught on fire.

im really sorry, but that made me laugh.
#266 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
man, no one could learn anything from kieran and hubby and me in a doctor's room other than he hates to wait around

zoo was only ok, he was too tired and couldn't figure out where to go. but we saw some monkeys and the farm tractor. then i am too tired and cranky now.

sara, i go on the calendar for today. but i am on the pill, so artificially 28 days which i never would be naturally.
Yah, I'm a little worried about that. But she said that if he hated it we could go somewhere else. Hope that's not necessary.

#267 of 1788 Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post

Is it me, or have they started using air fresheners at the zoo? I noticed it the last time we went there, especially near the Tigers. I was annoyed. Kind of takes away from the experience... also... you can't fart there anymore and blame it on the animals.
#268 of 1788 Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Giving away our stroller.

Hopefully to someone who will love it as much as we do.

That's all. The car's full, so I'm going to get ready for bed. G'night, all.
#269 of 1788 Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Is it me, or have they started using air fresheners at the zoo? I noticed it the last time we went there, especially near the Tigers. I was annoyed. Kind of takes away from the experience... also... you can't fart there anymore and blame it on the animals.
i guess i didn't smell much of anything, but i don't get to the zoo all that much! all the animals were napping anyway. i think i got my fix for a while.

y'all could move up here to the hood, i only get phone books yearly, not monthly like other people tell me they get them. and i usually need a new one by yearly.
#270 of 1788 Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Awe, letting go is hard. As is every bit of moving. 'Night Beth!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page