September in the Suburbs ~westsiiiiiiiide chattin - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 151 Old 09-23-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah! We're on the second page!

Anyone selling at Pass It On? Or going? I just dropped of my stuff. Glad that's over! I waited till the last minute. Again.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#122 of 151 Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thats a consignment sale right? I'll probably go. Its torture not knowing if I'm having a girl or a boy. Last time, I purposely scheduled an ultrasound to be right before a really big consignment sale, lol. Man, I wish I could join some kind of co-op of moms who don't know what they're having, but still want to shop, and we would all just get together and trade once we find out. Wouldn't that be just awesome? Maybe I should start it

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#123 of 151 Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

I think I might go to PIO on Sunday morning for the half price sale. I find they pack too much stuff on the racks and its hard to even look at the clothes the first day. I would rather get really cheap stuff even if its picked over. I don't think I'll consign there again, its a lot of work. Most of my stuff is really stained and worn out and they won't take that stuff. I consigned some big stuff last time but I think I could get more off craigslist next time I need to do that.
#124 of 151 Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Thats a consignment sale right? I'll probably go. Its torture not knowing if I'm having a girl or a boy. Last time, I purposely scheduled an ultrasound to be right before a really big consignment sale, lol. Man, I wish I could join some kind of co-op of moms who don't know what they're having, but still want to shop, and we would all just get together and trade once we find out. Wouldn't that be just awesome? Maybe I should start it
Yep. HERE is their site, if you haven't seen it.

It can be hard to shop if you don't know what you're having. We didn't know Oliver was a boy, so he was in a lot of GN for a few weeks I also dressed Ciara in a lot of boy clothes, so at least I had that. I think I only really bought one onesie for him before he was born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary View Post
I think I might go to PIO on Sunday morning for the half price sale. I find they pack too much stuff on the racks and its hard to even look at the clothes the first day. I would rather get really cheap stuff even if its picked over. I don't think I'll consign there again, its a lot of work. Most of my stuff is really stained and worn out and they won't take that stuff. I consigned some big stuff last time but I think I could get more off craigslist next time I need to do that.
The racks are very packed. I'm hoping they do something different since they're having it at a bigger place. When I dropped off my stuff, the place was crammed with clothes, and they were saying they wouldn't accept anything less than perfect, because they had too much. So, we'll see. Luckily, my mom is watching the kids while I shop, so I can focus.

I have a lot of stuff that the kids seem to grow out of quickly, so it's nice being able to resell them. I can't seem to even give away clothes otherwise. I made $80 last time selling clothes, so it's worth it to me. I'll use the money for Christmas

#125 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 AM

damn i missed it again!!! i have a ton of nice jeans, etc that Addy wore MAYBE once or twice each, some nice sweaters, etc. guess craigslist will have to do.

so, anyone who has met Addy knows, she is a big, BIG 4 year old. she wears size 7/8 pants, with only a small cuff on the bottom, and 6/7 tops with no roll on the sleeves, she isnt just fluffy, she is TALL too.
well we measured Niamh on the wall with all of Addys measurements and... Niamh is a half inch TALLER than Addy was at this age!!!!!
what am i going to do with these giant children?
Addy also got measured on the wall. and in two months has grown an inch and a quarter.
seriously i am considering coffee in their cereal to slow them down!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#126 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 AM

Well Tiff, you could always just think of it as, your girls are making up for all the growing that Loki doesn't do. I swear, my little guy is so small!!!!

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#127 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 02:26 AM

i wish my girls would slow down and let him catch up. seriously, buying new clothes every three months just isnt an option for our broke asses!!!!
how is that handsome lil guy don anyway? geebus he is a cutie!

#128 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 AM

Thanks. He's doing pretty well. Had a nasty fall today (we think Lucian pushed him), and cut his gums on a trunk. But other than that and his ongoing booty sores, he's doing really well. Happy as can be. Eats like no tomorrow.
I need to take some new pictures. The sig pictures are fairly new (except Alexia's), but I'd like some better ones.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#129 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
damn i missed it again!!! i have a ton of nice jeans, etc that Addy wore MAYBE once or twice each, some nice sweaters, etc. guess craigslist will have to do.

so, anyone who has met Addy knows, she is a big, BIG 4 year old. she wears size 7/8 pants, with only a small cuff on the bottom, and 6/7 tops with no roll on the sleeves, she isnt just fluffy, she is TALL too.
well we measured Niamh on the wall with all of Addys measurements and... Niamh is a half inch TALLER than Addy was at this age!!!!!
what am i going to do with these giant children?
Addy also got measured on the wall. and in two months has grown an inch and a quarter.
seriously i am considering coffee in their cereal to slow them down!
Wow, that's the same size as Isabella wears, except for she has short legs, so she's in 7/8 tops and 6/7 bottoms, haha! Why don't you just save those clothes for Niamh? She'll probably be in them before you know it... I am even keeping the really nice stuff for Malia, and she's 5 years behind...

I spent hours on sorting and tagging all of my stuff and taking it down there and made maybe $50 last fall, which was not bad, I guess, but I didn't think it was worth it for the time I spent. I didn't even do all of my stuff because I ran out of safety pins and energy. I read after that that they will price and tag your stuff for you and just keep a higher percentage, which I was tempted to do, but I was wondering whether they would price it too high and none of it will sell. I shopped there a couple of years ago, and got some great deals, especially little baby clothes, but it took me a half an hour to get through the line, baby started screaming, all that. I don't know if they've gotten better, but it wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat so I haven't been back.

I have been meaning to ask if anyone was interested in a clothing swap. I have a bunch of girls 12-18 month and boys 4t clothes that I would be happy to pass on and I could use some boys 5T and girls 2T clothes, I was planning on waiting until the spring for Mateo's preschool rummage sale but I feel like I have this endless supply of clothes that the kids are outgrowing...
#130 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
So are you going to find out when you can? They do another pass it on sale in the spring and that will be closer to your due date anyway. And I'm sure that someone who's had a baby girl or boy will be able to pass on some clothes to you too. I had given away all of my baby stuff before Malia was born and didn't have a whole lot of money to buy new stuff so I asked around and got baby clothes from 3 or 4 different people. I hardly bought any clothes for practically the whole year.
#131 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find out. Before I was pregnant I used to think how fun it would be to have a surprise and be able to announce the gender at birth. But man.. as soon as I get a bfp I'm like, "I MUST KNOW!" I might end up just looking and seeing if there was anything that I absolutely just *loved* in either gender. But no going totally nuts. I have a couple little boy outfits that I just had to have that I bought before I was even pregnant, just to hoard until I have a boy.

If nothing else, Allie could stand for some winter stuff

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#132 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

we SHOULD do a naked baby party, what do you think the sizes should range, newborn-10? who wants to organize???
i need winter/fall stuff for the girls too. i wish DH was getting a bonus this year, it makes season changes so much easier. but the company isnt doing bonuses this year

Eliza, whats up with his bottom? want some assistance in figuring it out?
my neice was allergic to all disposable diapers, and was told that by two drs and all of us, and still kept her in them : (not saying its the case with you AT ALL!!!) and my neice had sores all over her backside for a few years, they left scars but we tried to help as much as we could with healing the sores. it got to a point where after month of us every day pushing her to call the dr, she finally did, went in and the poor kid has staph and strep EVERYWHERE down there, including up her vagina. at 2.5 she was in so much pain and was so miserable.
so we have been around the block or two with booty sores.

#133 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
damn i missed it again!!!
You should sign up for their mailing list, so you know when registration begins.

#134 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Eliza, whats up with his bottom? want some assistance in figuring it out?
my neice was allergic to all disposable diapers, and was told that by two drs and all of us, and still kept her in them : (not saying its the case with you AT ALL!!!) and my neice had sores all over her backside for a few years, they left scars but we tried to help as much as we could with healing the sores. it got to a point where after month of us every day pushing her to call the dr, she finally did, went in and the poor kid has staph and strep EVERYWHERE down there, including up her vagina. at 2.5 she was in so much pain and was so miserable.
so we have been around the block or two with booty sores.
Well, actually, he gets the sores from his cloth diapers. When I do put him in the sposies, they go away. I have some calendula ointment from the ND, but it doesn't really seem to help at all. It makes him FEEL better it seems, but it doesn't do anything for the sores.

And of course, I have a migraine today.

#135 of 151 Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM

aww poor bub. i bet i could help you out with a wash routine that will strip his diapers out and leave him with no more owwies. if you want help with that PM me.
i'm sorry you have a migraine. i had one yesterday, they suck. i wish i could bring over some tea to help you out.

#136 of 151 Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 AM

weird, I had a migraine yesterday too, and I don't get them very often at all. I was in a fog all day today. I should get to bed but I am seriously addicted to the L Word.
#137 of 151 Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM

We made it down to CA fine -- blew in at 3:30am Wednesday after getting on the road at 1:30pm Tuesday. Not bad.

But on Sunday we lost Chewie. He had been doing really poorly recently, we were in denial about how bad, and when we got back from Cameron's birthday, he had an infection in/on his eye so bad we took him to Dove Lewis, and the first they asked about what whether we had considered euthanasia. Eventually we decided to do it, and he died in my arms late Sunday night.

And then we had to drive down here (which we were only doing instead of, say, taking the train, to bring Chewie with us. how's that for irony?). I'm kinda just in coping mode until we get home (at which time I immediately start school).

Life is screwy.
#138 of 151 Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM

oh Arwyn i'm so sorry. I know how much Chewie meant to you. he was a really great dog.

#139 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 AM

I am so sorry for your loss Arwyn.
#140 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry Arwyn. for Chewie.

Kate...fellow L Word addict here . Did they start a new season? I hear this one will be the last, which is good because it started getting pretty bad.

I'm feeling a tad migrainy this morning. I took some Excedrin Migraine and tried to get rehydrated and now I'm having some coffee. Seems to be gone now. : And my girls are spending the night with my dad tonight so I will have the whole day to do whatever I want! He's picking them up this morning. Joy Actually, I'm really going to miss them. Naia was gone last weekend and she's been going to school M-Th, so we really enjoy our Fridays together just hangin out.

I went to the parent meeting at the school last night and I feel better about the whole discipline thing. The teacher seems great and she said we are welcome to volunteer anytime we want. She even said I could bring the little, which is awesome.

They have a slot or 2 open in most of the classes if anyone is looking for a small school in SW pdx with an environmental focus. I know most of y'all have younger kids, but just in case anybody's lurking...

We are also selling Chinook Books to fundraise (like every other school) but if anybody wants one, let me know. There's also a concert and silent auction on Oct. 10th at Multnomah Arts Center. It's Aaron Meyer, a concert violinist. Tickets are only $10, so pretty good idea for a date night. And now I've done my part for spreading the word about my school's fundraising activities. Pardon the blatent spamming.
#141 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Another L Word addict here Season 5 is coming out on DVD in October (for those, like me, who get it through Netflix). Season 6 is coming out sometime later. So I'm not sure which season you are referring to as "the last one".

Arwyn, really sorry to hear about your dog. May Chewie rest in peace.

Nadine, what is the name of the school Naia is attending?? I am looking into schools for Jake right now and would love another recommendation. Thanks!
#142 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked an L Word Episode guide. I've seen them all, so waiting for season 6.
#143 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Another L Word addict here Season 5 is coming out on DVD in October (for those, like me, who get it through Netflix). Season 6 is coming out sometime later. So I'm not sure which season you are referring to as "the last one".

Arwyn, really sorry to hear about your dog. May Chewie rest in peace.

Nadine, what is the name of the school Naia is attending?? I am looking into schools for Jake right now and would love another recommendation. Thanks!
if you or anyone are interested in montessori in mult. village area, mine is having open house on oct 10th.
#144 of 151 Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
if you or anyone are interested in montessori in mult. village area, mine is having open house on oct 10th.
Yeah, I'm already planning to be there
#145 of 151 Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 AM

Whew! Do we EVER have some serious house buying ADD! lol. But hey, at least we aren't afraid to walk away if it..does the opposite of grows on us? Is there a word for that? *shrug* Anyway, we found ANOTHER one thats newer and needs no repairs and doesn't have a nasty spidery yard (barely a yard to speak of, lol no chickens for us!) We offered way too low, they countered with something more reasonable, and we're going for it! So hopefully no roadblocks come up before closing. Its kinda close to the elmonica max station. Anyone around there?

#146 of 151 Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Arwyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Chewie.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
#147 of 151 Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Yeah, I'm already planning to be there
i'm not sure that i love the direction the school has taken this year... i would not have even come out for the ad that they put in metroparent now... they added 'all-day' program, so now they keep pushing the kids to start young, be there all day, etc.... they don't have a p/t 3 or 4 days option anymore, tho some ppl do pay for 5 and go less. minimum is 8:30-1, through lunch, so your day is pretty much school... of course, i like a lot about them and they try to be accommodating and do treat the kids very well, but there are some limits to the flexiblity you get at that type of school, unless you just make your own.
#148 of 151 Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Hey, where are all you ladies? No October thread yet??

Would any of you be interested in a cake party this year??

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#149 of 151 Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Hi y'all. Just popping on here to ask a question (I didn't see an October thread?)

Does anyone have a favorite pumpkin patch out on the west side? I want to meet a friend at one on her side of town but I'm not familiar with any out thataways

Thanks so much ladies!

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#150 of 151 Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

There's Lee Farms in Tualatin (super fun)
Baggenstos in Sherwood
and of course Sauvies Island

I don't know about Hillsboro or further west.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page