Skagit Mamas it's Autumn! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there playgroup today? I will definitely be in if there is but I have to leave by 2.
Already got lunch cooking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

I would do the Baker Dam tour, please do let us know what you find out.

Sev has been suffering from sleep issues and we have decided to put him on a very strict sleep schedule to get past it (that tanked this weekend, but we'll get back on track). Because of the schedule I'm not going to be able to do many play dates at noon. I'll probably still hit the play dates but a little late and we'll likely miss everyone.

I plan to host indoor play dates at my house this winter, but they'll likely be in the 1:30 to 3:30 range.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm planning on going to playgroup today between 12:30 and 3:00. I have somewhere to be at 4 so need to stay busy until then.

Amy, I would love to hear how you strict sleep schedule works. I can ever get my kids to nap and going to bed feels like it gets harder and harder everyday. I guess Robin is really getting more agreeable with bed but Dallas is getting worse.

Anyone want to go to Remlinger on Thursday afternoon? Great fun for every one with amusement rides a train that circles the place, a hay bale maze, bouncy houses and a pumpkin at the end all for one admission price. I think the price depended on the size of the group, I will check on that.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
this week is dedicated to nesting for me. I think it has finaly really kicked in, I was waiting for that desire....instead of the usual drudgery feeling that laundry, dishes, cooking and grime cleaning brings! My step-mom is coming tommorrow to stay for the week and she is a cleaning queen. Im thinking after waddling my rear thru the grocery store that Im not going to sign myself up for any of the "field trips", just the basics for me, for now.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 AM

Ok, I need some advice.
For those of you who don't know...Jack burned his hand severely on our pellet stove last week. (I was in the shower and Jesse was with him, he was on the other side of the room and Jesse walked into the other room to put a diaper in the pail and when he got back Jack had tried to pull himself up on the stove and burned his whole hand on the glass, I can't believe we didn't have it blocked off, we always just watched him and he was faster than we realized. We feel awful and guilty, but are trying not to beat ourselves up about it. )
Anyway, he was rushed to the ER and given hydrocodone and it was wrapped up with the Silver stuff. We have had to go back to the doc over and over and wrap it every day. Well the biggest blister I had ever seen popped on Saturday so today at the doctor they cut away the dead skin and told me that he needs to see the surgeon because there is a possiblity that it was more than a severe second degree burn and he may need skin grafts. So tomorrow we are going to the surgeon.
I am worried though about infection now that it is a huge open wound. He has almost no skin on his hand. It is wrapped of course and I am watching him closely. The doctor in the ER spent most of his time not treating Jack but lecturing me because he is not vaccinated. Today my doctor told me she thinks I should give him a tetanus shot. But they don't have an isolated one he would have to have the DT or DTaP.
I am trying to do some research on this but wanted to know what all of you wise mommas know about these two shots, and what you would do in my situation. I am sure it is unlikely but I am so worried that he will suddenly develop this huge infection and it will be so serious and even more of my fault. KWIM? But on the other hand I am still unsure of the two vaccines and how common it is to get the infection for a wound like his. I am just sitting here trying to sort it all out and wondered what you guys might know about any of this. Thanks guys.
Rachel
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 AM

I don't have a lot of time to type here Rachel but in the chance that I don't see you tomorrow I wanted to let you know that tetanus is very unlikely. Tetanus occurs mostly with puncture wounds with no bleeding and it is an anaerobic organism so would survive in an open environment. If Jack has topical treatment and has puss or bleeding that should keep things at bay. If you are still worried I would probably go towards the DT. I think he is more likely to develop an infection from staph, or other common bacteria, than tetanus. I hope he doesn't develop anything and he heals up quickly.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 AM

Ah, Rachel. You've had some crappy stuff happen lately! You've been on my mind a lot, time for things to look up. I hope little Jack heals up quickly, poor little guy!

I'm sorry the ER doctor gave you such a hard time. Ugh!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Cheryl,

Your photographer was Pavlina, right? I met her (online, but you get what I mean). We've been chatting!!! I got my first pro quality camera and I'm trying to meet photographers to help me.

She's really sweet!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Yes Pavlina. She is very sweet. And I have those wraps and video for you Carrie! I didn't forget.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM

YAY!
Jack does not need skin grafts! The surgeon said it is just second degree and he thinks it will heal up fine by itself within a week. I am still really watching for infection because it is all open, but now I have the OK to let it air out and bathe him. Jack is very glad to have a looser wrap on it and he will really enjoy a bath and getting to use his hand for a while.
Last night I was freaking myself out. My doc said to come back Saturday for another check unless I fear infection, but I feel calmer now about that too.
I did have to sit through another doc quizzing me about vaccinations again That is one of the hard things about choosing not to vaccinate. If something does happen (like Jack's burn) You have to see so many doctors and you never know how they will respond. Luckily all of them (besides the ER doc) have told me their opinion and then said that it was totally up to me.
I hope all of you are having better weeks than I am.

Carrie~ I am looking forward to your little one's arrival! I know these last weeks can take forever but very very soon he or she will be in your arms at last!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Great news for Jack!

Carrie, I saw so many new fresh squishy babies this weekend and it made me think of you. You're so lucky! I can't wait to meet the new one!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 AM

Great news Rachel! I have been thinking about you.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 AM

Just to let my Skagit mommas know...I have a 20% off sale on my store through Sunday. The coupon discount code is Fall08.

Also Randi had her embryos implanted today so send her happy, healthy, sticky embryo thoughts!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 AM

That's so fabulous for her!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Randi, sending sticky baby dust your way!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Can I ask your guys' opion?

I'm voting right now and I don't know anything about Steve Van Luven vs Kevin Ranker. I'm a democrat, but I do like to know about the stances before I vote. I'm trying to find stuff online and can't find any great resources.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Thank you so much for the thoughts, energy, magnets, and dust! We need all we can get! Today I am more vertical than I was yesterday, and tomorrow will probably be even more vertical the embryos should've implanted as of last night................ :

Randi
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM

If you're slightly interested in and/or have any questions regarding unschooling, check out my cousins blog - where she has set up an FAQ. It is pretty amazing. (and tell her I sent ya!)

UNSCHOOLING FAQ
Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM

Randi! It occurred to me awhile ago that you had emailed me about some things and we had been chatting (and I didn't realize it was you until now!) Do you recall?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:02 PM

My brain slightly recalls something - but no idea what it was - and must not have been that important?

Randi
Old 10-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Anti-fertility vaccines? YIKES!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Cheryl, Thank you for posting that link. It's scary to think about but needs to be thought none the less. I sent it on to a couple family members I hope will read it too.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I think there's enough sketchy info about the gardasil vaccination to make it questionable.

I mean, an hCG injection is part of some fertility treatments to help women become pregnant; verily each one of us was awash in hCG during our pregnancies! I fail to see how including hCG in a tetanus vaccination would render people sterile. Maybe for a short term, but permanently? Highly suspect.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 PM

Misty, you asked about the sleep schedule and I wanted to give you an update. It's been a tough few weeks around this house!

First of all, I have had sleep disorders my whole life. Sev seems to have inhereted my issues. GREAT! He wakes frequently and it's hard to get him down for the night. We never followed a strict bedtime schedule for him; I'd make sure he napped every day (he loves his nap) but not on any exact schedule. Bedtime was generally whenever he'd settle down on my lap nursing while I watched a movie or something. I know, bad mom. :/

About three weeks ago we decided to put a new sleep schedule into motion. Schedule! Clock watching!! Bath at 7:00, stories at 7:45, sleep between 8:00 and 8:30. Ugh, it was so hard! Those first few nights were rough, but we got him on the schedule and it seems to work. Now he's asking for "night night" after his bath. This is great news! We also get to get out of bed and have adult interaction after he falls asleep and this has made a huge difference in our connection!

Then we went to the LLL conference and saw Mary Sheedy Kurcinka speak about children's sleep, and spirited children. Great info. I'm so glad I saw her because I think a lot of Sev's issues with listening and following direction are related to sleep. Or lack of sleep.

Anyway, she advocates a STRICT STRICT schedule, not varying more than 30-60 minutes in either direction. We had been napping Sev but not on a strict time table. So now we're following a much more scheduled routine and it seems to be helping.

7:00 wake up
11:45 nap
1:45 wake up from nap
7:00 bath
8:00 - 8:30 asleep

We've already noticed his behavior and listening have improved. I think he was sleep deprived his whole life (GET IN LINE, I'M SLEEP DEPRIVED TOOOO!!!)

Then he got a cold. *sigh* Don't you know it, any change is three steps forward two steps back! He's slept crappy the last couple days (as have I) but we hope to get him back on schedule.

Now we just have to work on helping him transition from the family bed to his own bed. We want that to be a gentle transition. He's still nursing a lot at bedtime and in the morning and we want him to feel comfortable and supported. Maybe by the time he's in college, right? HAHAHA! Let me know if you want more info; I bought the "Sleepless In America" and "Raising Your Spirited Child" books and I'm willing to share (as soon as I'm done reading them!)
Old 10-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I mean, an hCG injection is part of some fertility treatments to help women become pregnant; verily each one of us was awash in hCG during our pregnancies! I fail to see how including hCG in a tetanus vaccination would render people sterile. Maybe for a short term, but permanently? Highly suspect.
But, if hcg is given at the wrong time it can inhibit ovulation. Yes, it is used for fertility treatments but the all reproductive hormones must be in balance and given at the appropriate time. I am not saying that I know exactly the MO of these supposed vaccines but from someone who knows that just a slight decrease in progesterone can cause fertility issues...I can definitely see how messing with hcg could cause fertility issues.

And as for sleep...I can definitely see how schedules can be very effective and necessary. I think if our kids could sleep whenever they wanted, ie no preschool, playdates, mommy running errands, etc., they would probably find their own innate schedule. But, life just isn't like that, at least not at my house, so we are going to get a more scheduled routine once we get all moved in to the new place.

BTW, we are moving this weekend...for real!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM

I was just reading that article again, a little more closely, and they aren't adding hcg, they are adding a compound to basically make the mom immune to hcg so her body can't recognize the pregnancy and therefore the body miscarries the pregnancy. Anyway, it is just scary how they are looking for a "Vaccine" for everything in the first place when such little research is even done on the ones we already have. :

Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM

I think the article is inflamatory and has some misinformation included. I think it's important to consider the source of any alarmist and misleading information.

Gardasil and the way Merck pushed it through testing and approval have LOTS of red flags popping up all on their own.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

After planting 75 feet of irises yesterday we took Sev to Schuh Farms for their pumpkin festival deelio. We didn't go last year because we didn't know about it. It was really fun! I was surprised he got in one of those little 50-gallon-drum carts and rode around all by himself!

We had a really good time. In the time I've lived her I've gotten great produce at a good price from Schuh, I'm pretty impressed with their set-up.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM

I hate when my updates don't come! I have missed so much discussion!

Amy,
We too have a house full of sleep issues. I struggled with sleep before my babies were born and Ava has lots of trouble as well. As an infant she never slept more than a few hours at a time during the night. And I would spend hours trying to get her to fall asleep just so she would nap for 45 min. It was rough. Plus she nursed all the time and it just began to wear on me when I was pg. with Jack. So I read The No Cry Sleep Solution and it worked miracles in our house! It really is amazing how after a few times they know the routine and follow it. She began sleeping almost all night long and had very few problems during the day. After Jack was born the schedule was messed up and we have never began to follow it as strictly as before but it is still there for the most part. I keep trying to get them on a stricter one, but with the two it seems more difficult. Jack is more easy going so he just kind of follows along whenever I put him to sleep! So right now ours is more general, but on days that it doesn't happen we are a mess. Here is what ours looks like:
7-8 am:The kids wake up when they want usually between these times.
Between 1 & 2 - Between 3 & 4 is nap. I try to get them down by 1:30 but sometimes it is closer to two. They wake up between 3 & 4
Dinner at 6
Baths at 7
PJ's, Brush Hair, Brush Teeth
Read 2 stories
Nurse
Bed

Most nights they fall right asleep between 7:45-8:15. But on busy nights when we go fast they take much longer. IMO sleep schedules work wonders, but they can be hard to set up and stick to. For us the benefit of having some time to ourselves at the end of the night is way worth the extra work.
Good luck Amy, it sounds like it is going well.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM

We love schuh farms too. We go every year and do the whole thing. I have pictures of my sister and I pregnant together when I was pg with Ava all the way through this year in front of the "How tall this fall" sign. I love to look at the changes. Its a very fun place.
We used to go there for Christmas tree's as well, but last year we went to the cut your own place in Big Lake and that was so much fun that we will do that again this year.

User Tag List