Skagit Mamas it's Autumn! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 230 Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Dani,
You must have different settings then I do, we are in our 7th page in my browser! We are doing good over here! Feels a little like we are having a case of the Mondays, lol. I guess that's excusable since it is Monday after all.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#122 of 230 Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM

It took me a minute to get what you were saying! We as a thread got bumped to the second page. I was bumping us back up! We gotta keep it alive!
#123 of 230 Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, yes. I didn't realize that. I have the current thread bookmarked on my toolbar so I don't really see where we are unless I'm just surfing

#124 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM

What is with the water in Mt. Vernon? The whole time I lived in Seattle, and before that in Bellingham, I never had any problems keeping my laundry clean. I've used Charlie's Soap for years and my laundry is clean, bright, and non-smelly. Stains like food & blood & whatever came right out. No problem!

After moving to Mt. Vernon OMG! I can't keep my laundry clean! Almost every clothing item has grease spots, blood doesn't come out, sweat stains in the armpits of hubby's shirts. Sev's diapers are developing ammonia build-up and giving him a rash! Plus they stink. EW! I know the Judy resevoir has very hard water, and that's what is causing the problems.

We have a new (one year old) HE washer/dryer. I use Charlie's Soap because hubby has serious fragrance allergies (even to the masking "fragrance" used in most "unscented" things). I've tried using hot water, ultra hot water, Oxyclean, dish soap, and Dr. Bronner's to get things cleaner. I found some liquid Calgon water softener and use that with Sev's diapers but even that isn't great.

What do you all do with your laundry? How do you keep it clean, bright, stain free, grease spot free, etc? Tell me your laundry secrets.
#125 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it has something to do with a toddler Amy:

you have me in stitches, the MV water setting in your stains :

welcome to motherhood :

note: I get to be snarky, sarcastic, insulting, because I am 2 days shy of 40 weeks.
#126 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM

ok, so that wasn't very nice, but it really was my first reaction! and a good laugh for me pre 9am!

Im awful, after using biokleen, charlies, 7th generation and things not coming clean I went back to phosphate laden TIDE. but I think if our clothing came out too bright we wouldn't fit into this gray drizzly cloud covered area anyway.
#127 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Im on a roll this morning! maybe I'll fill a whole page just myself! So this whole pregnancy Ive been thinking, this is going to be my 40 wk baby, but alas Im realizing that bambino is probably going to stay in for another week or so...I can just tell (prove me wrong baby, prove me wrong)so im thinking of adding 41, 42, 43 weeks to my ticker line....
#128 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Carrie you ARE on a roll!

I might try Tide, but I'm afraid the optical brighteners will make my diapers repel. Cloth diapers are finicky! I also have to be careful of hubby's allergies - some fragrances (even "fragrance free" fragrances) cause him to have asthma attacks. Maybe I could do infrequent washes with Tide but the majority with Charlies? Hmmm. Come on, other mamas, chime in!

That baby is making you cranky. And a little bit wacky. I'm voting for baby to come straight away. Tonight! *sends good labor thoughts* How's everything going? Are you ready?
#129 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 PM

I think Tide is the only thing that works (I mean really works) for me. I normally make my own soap with Doc Bronners and nothing smells right (also since moving to Mt Vernon). Although I also have a toddler.... Hmmm.
#130 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM

*Not on topic* but....
For those of you trying to plan ahead this year, Target has little felt Christmas gift bags for $1 in the front dollar section. I thought they were cute and could be packed away and reused, reused, reused! I haven't picked any up yet but plan on it.

This year I am trying to be much more organized. I am proud to say that about half of my Christmas shopping is done. For me this is huge as we have a long long list of people to buy for and I usually wait until about Dec. 15th to start! Christmas is HUGE in my family so we always do it up big. It is the one time of the year that I go completely overboard and spoil everyone! And love every moment doing it. I have found it to be much cheaper so far doing it slowly ahead of time!

Carrie, I feel for you. *If you are ready, come out baby!* Hang in there!
#131 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Okay so here's the thing if you have HE front loaders like I do! When I was cloth diapering I was using baking soda and vinegar and then things weren't getting clean plus I was using seventh genertion soap for the rest of my stuff!! What I have learned is that even HE powdered soap is bad for front loaders, they don't wash efficiently and it clogs up the lines with residue!! So you need to use a liquid HE soap and yes the HE matters!! If you go to Home depot or lowes you can get tablets that help clean the lines basically, you should do it like once a month or u can just run bleach thru them. As far as I can remember the Charlies is HE but it's a powder!! So now I use ALL fragrence free HE and I haven't had any trouble and I often throw in some VIVID color safe bleach, there's not a stain on my clothes or the kids and I have two toddlers and an ever growing belly that is getting in the way!! So that's all I have to add and I have never had a problem with the ALL on my cloth diapers, plus I have a very sensitive daughter with extreme sensitivity to things on her skin and no problems there. The best part is ALL is on the cheap side of detergents!!

#132 of 230 Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

I use enzyme cleaners on my stains. I also have a newer HE front loader and use biokleen powders. I have never had a problem with my lines clogging yet. for diapers I wash with biokleen detergent in cold first, hot water kills enzymes so I use soap first, then I wash with super hot sanitize to kill the enzymes and if I had let the diapers set too long or if they have any odor at all I do a final wash/rinse with hot water.

For clothes it's hard for me to catch slight stains before hand so if something comes out with stains on it, I spray it down with bac-out and let it sit for a day then re-wash unless I know what the stain was, I might be inclined to look it up or try dish soap if I know it's actually grease but usually bac-out works well. Again it's an enzyme so hot to kill but cold to wash in it. I use oxygen bleach (also biokleen) in most clothing loads as well. The smell of biokleen out of the box is strong, almost to strong for me but I don't find it stays on the clothes.

It's not just you Amy, when I moved here I was surprised that our clothes didn't seem to come clean either and we didn't have kids at the time. I used tide for years and only recently gave it up. We are on a well and I though it was just the well water. We get lots of suds here and I have heard that means we have soft water but I don't know how that could be since everyone around us says it's actually hard. I didn't find water softener to do a thing.

I have heard mixed things about Charlies soap though, that it does work well in the city but not on well systems. Maybe it's the fluoride, lol.

#133 of 230 Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

More thoughts on the water:

I remember reading in the paper that Skagit has won awards for it's drinking waters taste. Maybe this is a sign that the chorine isn't as high as other places? We had lived in Lynnwood and the tap water was undrinkable IMO. It really did smell like bleach. When we first moved I noticed our clothes not coming as clean but though it was because of our very green "all in one" washing machine and the lack of chlorine in our water too. It didn't occur to me that municipal water might not have as much either. I know here I can order tap water at a restaurant and drink it, down south I can't stomach it.

#134 of 230 Old 11-13-2008, 12:27 PM

The water here is quite tasty. The best tasting water I've had in WA is in Bellingham. Dang, their water is good! The source is the second basin of Lake Whatcom, very deep (well below the thermocline layer) and protected from the circulation of the upper layers. Very clean water.

The worst tasting water I've had is in Yakima, off the Nob Hill well. Yakima Tieton water is fairly tasty, the source is a river.

Seattle water tasted off to me too, flat and chemically. Not undrinkable, but not my favorite.

MV water does taste nice. The Judy reservoir is fed by a tributary of the Skagit which is fed by Baker lake which is glacial water, a nice clean source. Not a lot of crap between Mt. Baker and the Judy reservoir to contaminate the water.
#135 of 230 Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM

Well this won't matter much in the case of Washington water....but......In Nevada where I grew up, we had an artesian well on our property. It was the best water in the entire world. VERY hard water, full of all kinds of minerals, and oh so tasty. When I moved to Reno for college I used to bring bottles home to fill up with yummy water, my grandparents used to do that too when they would come and visit. Oh, how I miss that water. Nothing else compares, not even bottled. So, I am kind of ruined forever on tap water! Although I am learning to drink it, I have no choice. I was so used to hard water that I hated anything but. This water here is OK, but just doesn't compare.

I seriously wish you all could take a drink of Nevada well water!
#136 of 230 Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Ugh- has anyone lived in Marysville? My water was practically brown there- ick!

I think it tasted pretty gross in Lake Stevens too.
#137 of 230 Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Holy busy day. I've been working on dh's tree business stuff all day and I haven't responded to any of my doula emails yet. Is there a worn out smilie?

Maybe this one:

I'm actually really proud of myself- I have cut back so much on coffee in the last couple of weeks since I've been home. I don't have a throbbing headache now if I don't have a ton of it first thing in the morning. Woot!
#138 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

I thought I would share my maternity photo shoot gallery, it's only going to be up till Sunday. I have my favorites...but this is all of them. It was a fun experience and since I think that this is it for me I really wanted to capture my pregnancy forever! see gorgeous Carrie here
#139 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 PM

They are really great photos, Carrie. So glad you shared them with us all.

HEY where is that baby anyway?
#140 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 PM

Carrie,

What fabulous photos! I love #'s 6204 and 6215 the most. I hope you'll get some more when the new baby comes. My offer for food still stands. Just let me know and I will drop some off.

Thinking of you and expecting the best!

Shasta
#141 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 PM

thanks amy & shasta,

shasta: those 2 of some of my fav's too, I luv how Greg is being goofy "listening" to the baby and Im looking down at him laughing....even if that makes my double chin pop out!

I so appreciate your food offer :

I think this baby is staying put for another week or so. I wonder how many weeks I can keep saying this?!!! Im ready when you are baby!
40w1day but who's counting
#142 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM

It was the full moon last night...maybe tonight? Lots of barometric pressure or something like that, right?
#143 of 230 Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM

labor (but only if you are ready baby )

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#144 of 230 Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM

My allergies are completely acting up and I normally have spring allergies. Is this happening to anyone else? I wonder if I've just developed a dust or mold allergy...
#145 of 230 Old 11-16-2008, 07:33 PM

#146 of 230 Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

We usually don't do an Azure order mid-month but I need some extra things for Thanksgiving and was wondering if anyone else has an order they would like to put in. The cut off for the order is Friday the 21st at 3pm. The truck is getting loaded a day early so the delivery will happen on Tuesday or Wednesday.
If you have not ordered before but would like to, our drop point number is 526840. Let me know if you have any questions.

#147 of 230 Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM

I'm looking at my list and I don't think I have enough to meet the minimum. Hmmm. Let me do another poke at it.

I tried out the Azure farms hard white whole wheat unifine flour. It is quite nice flour. I baked bread and pizza dough with it, and both turned out reasonably nice. The bread didn't get as good of a rise as when I use ordinary unbleached bread flour (normal for whole wheat), but it wasn't as heavy as regular whole wheat either. I think if I tweak my recipe I'll be able to compensate for the textural difference. The flavor is quite nice, a good dense rich wheat flavor. It's not too much for the pizza I made; even my "white" pizza with chicken, sun dried tomatoes, and goat cheese stood up to the crust.

I will use this flour again for day-to-day baked goods like bread and scones and pancakes, but maybe not for finer baked goods like genoise or petits fours.
#148 of 230 Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

You sound like quite the serious baker Amy. I wish I had the kitchen for it, baking takes up more room than I have.

The minimum to get our drop point is $550. My order is only $250 as of right now. I won't be able to meet the minimum on my own. If I don't I'll look for another drop to join.

#149 of 230 Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Ami I was wondering if you have ever done crouissants!! I am having this extreme pregnancy craving for them and they are so expensive! I looked up how to do them, but am unsure if I could tackle it! I will look to see if there is anything I can order from Azure!

#150 of 230 Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Misty, I know my grandma wants some things and I am working on my Thanksgiving list today so I will order some things as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page