Eastside : How do you celebrate Halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you live and how do kids celebrate Halloween?

We live not far from Crossroads, quite close to Redmond. I'm wondering if kids trick or treat here. What time do they start? How late are they usually out?

I'm interested to know what people do in other parts of the Eastside too... since we'd have no problem driving somewhere else if there is good trick or treating elsewhere, or if a fun party is put on by the city or something.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#2 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 PM

I have heard they do, but we only get one group at our apartment, the neighbors' kids and their friends.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to get the kids excited about going trick or treating if it isn't really done here. We would be willing to drive to a neighbourhood where it does happen... or if most people go to events instead, I'd like to start looking for an even sooner rather than later.

I'm going to see if I can edit the title of the thread and change it to... "eastside how do you celebrate Halloween." That might better describe what info I'm looking for.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#4 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Ah, well, people trick or treat at malls, I know that much. Last year dh took ds to Redmond Town Center to trick or treat. I have heard that there are some neighborhoods that get tons of trick or treaters, but I don't know which ones they are here.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#5 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

This was what I was afraid of. We moved here from Eastern Canada, where kids do not trick or treat in malls... but we have seen it elsewhere, in larger areas. I feel kind of weird taking the kids to trick or treat at a mall. I'm hoping that's not our only option.

#6 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM

oh that eastside...

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#7 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you know someone who works at Microsoft, they have trick or treating office to office. That's what we do (at dh's work). We also go just around our culs-de-sac to the familes that we know.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 11 Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
If you know someone who works at Microsoft, they have trick or treating office to office. That's what we do (at dh's work). We also go just around our culs-de-sac to the familes that we know.
DH works at Microsoft. We didn't know they trick or treat there!

#9 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 AM

We go to Gilman Village in Issaquah - like a mall but outdoors - mine are only 2 and 4 this year so it's still not a super big deal to them yet - we do not live in a neighborhood and I am glad we have somewhere to go -- we only get a few peices of candy - there is a fabulous toy store there (White Horse Toys) that always gives a neat toy - and we practice good manners and look at the other costumes -- for what it is worth I think it is really weird to go into a community that you do not live in to go trick or treating

Gilman Village is during the day - like 1-5 usually
#10 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, kids trick or treat here. DD was only about 20 mo last year so we just went to the 4 houses closest to us, but we always get kids at our door. If I recall, they start around 5 and we've had kids as late as 9. How many we've had really varies year to year -- if it's rainy and awful, you won't get too many no matter what. Last year we lived in a Crossroads neighborhood and this year we're near the MS campus.

Lots of people go to the mall, too. We went last year and it was ok. It was better for DD since she'd just barely learned to walk and didn't like walking in the dark. I'm really not fond of trick or treating in malls -- I grew up in the area and we always went door to door in a gang of 7 or 8, with kids from another family we were friends with.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#11 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

I think some neighborhoods just have more trick-or-treaters than others. IMO neighborhoods where the houses are closer together, where there are lots of families, and where there is good lighting, get more than others. It definitely happens! I'd ask my neighbors if I were you and see what their experience has been.

Go go every year to Country Village in Bothell and last year we went to the Mill Creek Town Center. It was great since adults were dressed up too. I love dressing myself, so I was happy to see that. I didn't dress up last year (since I didn't know) but this year I will! Our Main Street in downtown Bothell also has trick-or-treating. I would bet the City of Bellevue does something similar . . .

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page