Spooky October in PDX - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#541 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel better today, after a day and night of runny nose + one clogged nostril.

So, my parents are awesome. They showed up yesterday and my mom spent the night and took care of Lu a lot. My dad had to go up to Vancouver to do some wine stuff and stayed the night there. But, he came back this morning with a car for us. Nothing fancy, but really small and good on gas and a gift to us. I couldn't believe it.
papayapetunia is offline  
#542 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
 
karen1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 3,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I feel better today, after a day and night of runny nose + one clogged nostril.

So, my parents are awesome. They showed up yesterday and my mom spent the night and took care of Lu a lot. My dad had to go up to Vancouver to do some wine stuff and stayed the night there. But, he came back this morning with a car for us. Nothing fancy, but really small and good on gas and a gift to us. I couldn't believe it.
How wonderful!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
karen1968 is offline  
#543 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I feel better today, after a day and night of runny nose + one clogged nostril.

So, my parents are awesome. They showed up yesterday and my mom spent the night and took care of Lu a lot. My dad had to go up to Vancouver to do some wine stuff and stayed the night there. But, he came back this morning with a car for us. Nothing fancy, but really small and good on gas and a gift to us. I couldn't believe it.
THAT is wonderful, Candice! Yay!
Hedy B. is offline  
#544 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Candice thats awesome!

Hedy, we were p-patching.
it was fun.
janky. but fun.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#545 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM
 
jstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: portland
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that is awesome candice. what sweet parents!

i haven't checked my tomato plants lately. i should probably do that and get the last few before they split. i read somewhere that you can pull a tomato plant up and hang it upsdie down in your basement or garage to get the last green ones to ripen. i tried it and it didn't work. but maybe my basement is too damp. a garage would probably be better.


hey karen - that was fun running into you. i feel like such a social dork sometimes. we shoulda invited you guys to join our table! me <--- dork


well the little is napping. the biggest (dh) is napping too. the middle is watching little einsteins. this looks like my golden opportunity to go sew!
jstar is offline  
#546 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
 
forsythia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: sleepless baby heaven...
Posts: 2,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<-----my first dddc! : so sweet!



That is awesome Candice!

Hedy~ I've been trapped under a Sophie most of the day...now included! Not sure if I would be able to make it to your party...I'd have Sophie w/me.


my highlight was cooking squash and eating it while it was still HOT! yay me! okay and waking up next to Sophie and Madden!

What was your highlight of the day???
forsythia is offline  
#547 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my highlight of my day was watching Addy in a bounce house, bouncing around with other kids, enjoying herself, not freaking out.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#548 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
<-----my first dddc! : so sweet!



That is awesome Candice!

Hedy~ I've been trapped under a Sophie most of the day...now included! Not sure if I would be able to make it to your party...I'd have Sophie w/me.


my highlight was cooking squash and eating it while it was still HOT! yay me! okay and waking up next to Sophie and Madden!

What was your highlight of the day???
Aww, no worries love. She's, of course, very, very welcome, and I would LOVE to see her, but I definitely understand what that's like. I think I stayed under Ruby for at least the first four months. Still, if you'd like to get together for coffee/tea sometime next week in your neck of the woods, we'd love to meet up!
Hedy B. is offline  
#549 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
 
zeldabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pee Dee Ecks
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh. Stacked a half a cord of firewood with my housemate and Sprogly. It's a huge stack of wood, which the 2yo immediately wanted to get busy climbing on. It's going to be a trick to keep her off it.

Speaking of two-year-olds. Dang. I know it's totally normal, but dang. Sprogly was not like this, or when he was, the storms were quick. This child has staying power. Dang.

We drove up to Timberline today. I don't know why, I had to get out of the house, and we'd been talking about going to the mountain, so we went. There were a few patches of snow, which Sprogly greatly enjoyed.

He extracted a promise from me that we'd go skiing this winter. Since I made a solemn vow to my orthopedic surgeon that I would never, ever ski (and ruin all his brilliant work), I don't know how we'd work it. Any skiers here? It's a stupidly expensive pastime, right? How do regular folk go about doing it?
zeldabee is offline  
#550 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! Back from the coast. All and all it was a pretty good weekend. The aquarium was kind of a disapointment. I expected it to be bigger but the kids had a great time and Amanda was mostly pleasant on the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
I don't have to purchase them. It's a small local company (I kinda wonder if this is her first year). that's kinda why I feel like I should purchase, but I guess in my heart, I'm not completely in love with his pics.

I might just purchase the class photo.
There was a woman who is a new local company that apparently did the football pictures for the whole Gresham little league. One of the mom's at ballet was going on and on and on about how horrible all the pictures were. She said on the team photos they even cut parts of people off, had the names all out of order and the first line of names had the first letter missing. I think this was even the 2nd picture she sent out after the first one was horrible.

I hope it is not the same person. If you don't like the pictures either take Hedy up on her offer or take him to Portrait Innovations. They take like 12 poses and you get to pick the one you like the best for your package. (9.99 and they print it right there.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Yay! Cool! I'll PM you my address!

Wow. Where is everybody today?
Driving with kids! How do you pronounce your name? I have always pronounced it Hedi but when I spelled it DH was like no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
My tomato plants are about 6 ft tall. I was out yesterday covering them with cheap plastic painters sheeting. So far so good. No splitting. I have a large bowl full of tomatoes that I need to do something with. We had spaghetti last night and cut up a bunch and put them in some tomato past along with some other goodies and it turned out yummy.

I'm hoping to get the rest of the tomatoes off the plant, but it keeps flowering. I keep cutting off the flowers.

Anyways that's my random post for the day
My parents came and picked the tomatoes while we were gone. One is shriveled up but there was something wrong with it before. The cucumber is shriveled up too but the cherry tomato plant looks fine.. and is HUGE. It's not supposed to freeze again anytime soon is it?
aniT is offline  
#551 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM
 
spottiew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NoPo
Posts: 2,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Yeah, I just got back!! Boy those administrators like to talk I did love the teachers, though. We really liked it, even my mom (who has been a teacher since she graduated from college, so some high standards there!). However, I have nothing to compare it to. We are going to visit some other places soon so I will have something to compare it to. Jake had fun playing with everything. And the place was spotless, not messy at all, but what do you expect from an open house?
well that's the m ost you will ever hear them talk! they are the best tho, some other schools have weird admins. hmm, it's messy every day at 3 after the kids are there all day!

Sara, montesorri preschool you start from 2.5-3.75... but not at 4, you don't really join midway like that (tho they do take a few to balance things, but it's harder for them to not have had the first year). but most preschool you probably can start at 3 or 4.

hedy, i will be in the caribbean for your birthday
spottiew is offline  
#552 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Ugh. Stacked a half a cord of firewood with my housemate and Sprogly. It's a huge stack of wood, which the 2yo immediately wanted to get busy climbing on. It's going to be a trick to keep her off it.

Speaking of two-year-olds. Dang. I know it's totally normal, but dang. Sprogly was not like this, or when he was, the storms were quick. This child has staying power. Dang.

We drove up to Timberline today. I don't know why, I had to get out of the house, and we'd been talking about going to the mountain, so we went. There were a few patches of snow, which Sprogly greatly enjoyed.

He extracted a promise from me that we'd go skiing this winter. Since I made a solemn vow to my orthopedic surgeon that I would never, ever ski (and ruin all his brilliant work), I don't know how we'd work it. Any skiers here? It's a stupidly expensive pastime, right? How do regular folk go about doing it?
Ski bowl, baby! Timberline is pretty spendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

Driving with kids! How do you pronounce your name? I have always pronounced it Hedi but when I spelled it DH was like no..
Head-ee

Glad to hear it was a good trip!
Hedy B. is offline  
#553 of 1618 Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 PM
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Head-ee

Glad to hear it was a good trip!
That is what DH said. I hate it when he is right.

And thanks.
aniT is offline  
#554 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 AM
 
PGNPORTLAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
So... putting this out there:

Would anyone like to come to my birthday party on the 18th? I think there will be kids there, although it will be more of a 1/3 life crisis sort of deal... so adults, booze, food, cake, but wouldn't call it a raging kegger or anything like that.

Lily will actually be in Hood River with Todd's mom and I'm going to *try* to get Ru to sleep fairly early, because she... needs to be asleep fairly early, (she sleeps through just about anything,) and we have thick walls, so she should be able to sleep. :

PM me if you are interested! :

Party will be from about 5 - ?
I might possibly be able to do that If I could get Sophia to bed around 7 I could jump on the bus and come down for an hour or so and then scoot back on the bus when I was ready to come home. And I'd be close enough to feel pretty okay about it. It's a definite possiblility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I
So, my parents are awesome. They showed up yesterday and my mom spent the night and took care of Lu a lot. My dad had to go up to Vancouver to do some wine stuff and stayed the night there. But, he came back this morning with a car for us. Nothing fancy, but really small and good on gas and a gift to us. I couldn't believe it.
Hooray!


Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia;12372566
[SIZE=3
What was your highlight of the day???[/SIZE]
Well . . . Tonight for dinner Shawn and Sophia and I went to Hopworks. I was having a little bit of a stressed out kind of day (I am on my period and was just kind of irritable about everything) and Shawn encouraged me to have a glass of wine. I never drink here because I want to support him in not drinking and have always felt like it would jeopardize his sobriety. But he really encouraged me to have a glass and swore up and down he would not use it as an excuse or find a way to use it against me later (in addition I made him give me his word that if he did use it against me in any negative way or as an excuse to drink himself that he would owe me $100 and we shook on it). So I had a glass. Pinot Noir. It was very nice. I really love hopworks because it has such a nice play area and we could watch Sophia play from our seats. I felt (and still feel) a little anxious about it and will probably need to process the whole thing in counseling () but I also felt like it was a nice treat for me. I hope that nothing bad comes out of it. But it was a very pleasant part of my day to sit at a resturaunt watching Sophia play and drinking a glass of wine like a normal person.
PGNPORTLAND is offline  
#555 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 AM
 
lylawolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
That is what DH said. I hate it when he is right.

And thanks.
wait - how do YOU pronounce hedi, tina? i say that Head-eeee! lol
lylawolf is offline  
#556 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 AM
 
forsythia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: sleepless baby heaven...
Posts: 2,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post



Well . . . Tonight for dinner Shawn and Sophia and I went to Hopworks. I was having a little bit of a stressed out kind of day (I am on my period and was just kind of irritable about everything) and Shawn encouraged me to have a glass of wine. I never drink here because I want to support him in not drinking and have always felt like it would jeopardize his sobriety. But he really encouraged me to have a glass and swore up and down he would not use it as an excuse or find a way to use it against me later (in addition I made him give me his word that if he did use it against me in any negative way or as an excuse to drink himself that he would owe me $100 and we shook on it). So I had a glass. Pinot Noir. It was very nice. I really love hopworks because it has such a nice play area and we could watch Sophia play from our seats. I felt (and still feel) a little anxious about it and will probably need to process the whole thing in counseling () but I also felt like it was a nice treat for me. I hope that nothing bad comes out of it. But it was a very pleasant part of my day to sit at a resturaunt watching Sophia play and drinking a glass of wine like a normal person.
that's wonderful, Pauline!

Thanks for sharing...
forsythia is offline  
#557 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 AM
 
aniT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon, by way of Cali.
Posts: 16,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
wait - how do YOU pronounce hedi, tina? i say that Head-eeee! lol
Heidi (spell check didn't give me that option. I had to google it. )
aniT is offline  
#558 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pauline that sounds lovely

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
#559 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 AM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I might possibly be able to do that If I could get Sophia to bed around 7 I could jump on the bus and come down for an hour or so and then scoot back on the bus when I was ready to come home. And I'd be close enough to feel pretty okay about it. It's a definite possiblility!



Hooray!




Well . . . Tonight for dinner Shawn and Sophia and I went to Hopworks. I was having a little bit of a stressed out kind of day (I am on my period and was just kind of irritable about everything) and Shawn encouraged me to have a glass of wine. I never drink here because I want to support him in not drinking and have always felt like it would jeopardize his sobriety. But he really encouraged me to have a glass and swore up and down he would not use it as an excuse or find a way to use it against me later (in addition I made him give me his word that if he did use it against me in any negative way or as an excuse to drink himself that he would owe me $100 and we shook on it). So I had a glass. Pinot Noir. It was very nice. I really love hopworks because it has such a nice play area and we could watch Sophia play from our seats. I felt (and still feel) a little anxious about it and will probably need to process the whole thing in counseling () but I also felt like it was a nice treat for me. I hope that nothing bad comes out of it. But it was a very pleasant part of my day to sit at a resturaunt watching Sophia play and drinking a glass of wine like a normal person.
Pauline, that's wonderful! Yay! Sounds like he's really growing a lot. I could see how it might still need to be processed, because if there was a pattern, there are going to be trust issues. Understandable, for sure. But if this continues to be a trend that can be cemented, I'd say it's definite cause for celebration!

Go, Shawn!

That would be awesome if you could make it!
Hedy B. is offline  
#560 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
 
Savmay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ON the road with a wild toddler. trying to get my first period PP. Loving seeing Caleb. He was brilliant in his play! He is so talented:

My post today on the Tranquil Parent: Hang out in your happy space.

Wrote about my precious Memom (87 year old Gma) on the Mothering blog

home tuesday night, can't wait!
Savmay is offline  
#561 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pauline, that sounds nice. Shawn seems like he's doing really well. And I love Hopworks. It's almost embarrassing how much we go there.
papayapetunia is offline  
#562 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
 
PGNPORTLAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'd go there a more embarrassing amount if it were closer I think . . . It's embarrassing how much we go to Hai Du on Sandy. But justified.
PGNPORTLAND is offline  
#563 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
 
karen1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 3,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
hey karen - that was fun running into you. i feel like such a social dork sometimes. we shoulda invited you guys to join our table! me <--- dork
Nice to see you, too! And you weren't at all a dork. You had friends with you already! And Chase & Ebin got to play, so that was nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Pauline, that sounds nice. Shawn seems like he's doing really well. And I love Hopworks. It's almost embarrassing how much we go there.
And that would be where I ran into Jessica and fam! We don't go there SUPER often, but we like it a lot. Esp. now that Chase is playing more independently. DH and I actually got to TALK at the table while Chase played trains! :

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
karen1968 is offline  
#564 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a weird morning. I'm tired, first off, which is probably most of why I'm cranky. But I went to get Lily out of bed, and she was really really mad at me. Would not get dressed. Went to bed at 6:30 last night, so she did get around 12 hours of sleep. Anyway, I told her, OK, you don't have to go to school, and she really freaked out then, and said she did want to go to school. She didn't want to get dressed though. I told her she couldn't go in her underpants.

It took 40 minutes to get that girl dressed this morning, and we were almost late getting out the door to DRIVE. Just as I was leaving I saw a bag of what I thought were just jars and vinegar that I picked up at People's last night.

Nope. My goat's milk kefir was in there too. $7 down the drain. Damn it.

I am grateful for one thing though. I decided to take Skidmore to N. Maryland to see what it would do, because I am discovering Skidmore is a very drama-free street for cyclists. Well, I am SO glad I wasn't on my bike when I got sucked onto the freeway. There was a sign that said "To I-5", but I figured there would just be a separate on-ramp, and the street would keep going to a place where I could make a left turn and get back over to the school somehow. I was not expecting there to be a street at end of the one I was on, (that I wasn't expecting to end at all,) that was a right-turn only, two lanes, two directions, concrete median, that just became an on-ramp to I-5 N.

All that, and we still managed to make it to school on time. I am, again, so very, very, glad I didn't make that discovery on my bike with the trailer, because I would have been SCREWED.

I guess that just goes to show: Always, always, always drive a route in the car first before attempting to take a bike somewhere. Always.

Always.
Hedy B. is offline  
#565 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would kefir go bad overnight? I think this calls for the smell test. Also, do you think Lily had a bad dream?

Yes, I think the fact that Hopworks is close is one of the reasons we go there a lot. But it's also awesome that there's the kid area, and the beer is consistently delicious.
papayapetunia is offline  
#566 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Joi
 
Joi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Second star on the right
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Candice.... we spied you and Mr. Candice walking down the street yesterday but we too shy to stop and say hello. We always worry about annoying people.
Joi is offline  
#567 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
 
jstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: portland
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia;12372566
[SIZE=3
What was your highlight of the day???[/SIZE]
yesterday ...since today has just begun. i was asking isaac to go pee before bed and ebin walked over to the big toilet and tugged on his shirt. that's his 'clothes off!' thing. so i put him up there on the insert and he squeezed out the tiniest little pee!!! first step in our loooooooong journey of PL!!!!! ::::

least favorite....how he did NOT want to go to bed last night. oh wait you didn't ask about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post

He extracted a promise from me that we'd go skiing this winter. Since I made a solemn vow to my orthopedic surgeon that I would never, ever ski (and ruin all his brilliant work), I don't know how we'd work it. Any skiers here? It's a stupidly expensive pastime, right? How do regular folk go about doing it?
YES! well i'm a snowboarder and was massively addicted for years. we went almost every weekend before we had kids. this year we are going to get isaac signed up for his first ski school class. for the learners i think they'll do a half-day on the snow. so you don't have to ski yourself. and yep - it's expensive to go that route (rental + lesson). alternately you can get them out there yourself at Bunny or something. but it is easier to teach that way with a harness and putting them between your own skis. so i'd say go for the lesson. in the longer run you can get coupons for 2 for 1 and things like that to make it cheaper.

i'd go for a quality ski school and i would bet that meadows would be the best/most professional and equipped to teach young children. you want the first ski experience to be a GOOD one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
And that would be where I ran into Jessica and fam! We don't go there SUPER often, but we like it a lot. Esp. now that Chase is playing more independently. DH and I actually got to TALK at the table while Chase played trains! :
i realized that was the *longest* ebin had ever played without me hovering or worrying. i think we've entered a new phase here!
jstar is offline  
#568 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM
 
papayapetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE Portland, OR
Posts: 5,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi View Post
Candice.... we spied you and Mr. Candice walking down the street yesterday but we too shy to stop and say hello. We always worry about annoying people.
I could be crazy, but I don't think I left the house yesterday. : Did I? Joey rode his bike to Woodstock Radioshack...:

And aren't we to the stage in our friendship where you know you don't ever annoy me?
papayapetunia is offline  
#569 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Hedy B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Would kefir go bad overnight? I think this calls for the smell test. Also, do you think Lily had a bad dream?

Yes, I think the fact that Hopworks is close is one of the reasons we go there a lot. But it's also awesome that there's the kid area, and the beer is consistently delicious.
Hm. She either had a dream that put her in a bad mood, or was off in princess land somewhere when she was rudely interrupted.

I wouldn't worry about it if it were made from raw goat's milk at all. But this was from pasteurized, so unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's not good to leave that out overnight.

Todd was at least really understanding about it, and just bought me another bottle, then took me to IKEA and got me sautee, saucier, and a smaller stainless stock pot. I have been begging for new pots and pans for a while now, and have decided not to worry about that WAPF article.
Hedy B. is offline  
#570 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
 
SleepyMamaBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 9,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my mom brought home some cards for Addy last night. they have one word on the front, and a sentence on the back using the word. they are called "50 sight reading flashcards" i thought we would humor her and just look at them with Addy. but she really really likes them. i am normally fully opposed to flashcards of any kind. but, not only is she enjoying reading them, but she CAN read all of them and asked for more! so i guess i have to get over my aversion to flashcards quick. i wont tell her no she cant learn just because i am squicky about the type of materials used.
we also measured the girls on the wall again, because my dad swears she has grown.
she has. 2 whole inches since July. three freaking months!
how am i going to keep these kids in clothes this winter if they keep growing like this?

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
SleepyMamaBear is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off