Spooky October in PDX - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we do OMNI research. its in Multnomah Village. pays well, just not often enough.
mmmm B'ville milkshakes.... i dont think they make a milkshake we dont like.
Hedy, i know, 4 is early, and i am just amazed with each new word she ounds out and can read. i think language is an amazing thing, and the aquisition of written language is really cool! its great watching her learn as for me, i'm just a freak of nature

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#602 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Hedy that sounds like an awesome new route to take! yay for parks!

something happened with the scheduling. ugh. no appt today, its tomorrow, after being checked in and waiting for an hour we find this out. ugh. so we wanted to go to a park.
but it was too chilly for lil miss. time to invest in thicker coats me thinks.

#603 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Oh, totally, Tiff. And I also think that developing an appreciation for it is a gift she can give herself over and over again. She's a pretty awesome 4 year old.
#604 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Yeah, my kids are true Barakelsteins. They definitely run hot.
#605 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
I had my last appt w/my midwifes today... makes me so sad...I've got a lot of processing to do still...

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#606 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Pauline will you PM me your lastname so i can say you refered me to Gilmore?

#607 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Whoa. It's cool that you learned to read by 3, but seriously... 4 is still early. Very early.

Wow. That sounds awesome!
brendan keeps thinking kieran is slower than him, cause he also learned righta t 3, and kieran is just doing a little at 3.75... i figure as long as he is interestsed... what he has trouble with is writing- doesn't like pencils.
#608 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, totally, Tiff. And I also think that developing an appreciation for it is a gift she can give herself over and over again. She's a pretty awesome 4 year old.
yeah she is and me being her mom doesnt make me biased one bit
Quote:
Yeah, my kids are true Barakelsteins. They definitely run hot.
normally Addy does too, but she just didnt want to leave the warmth of the van. silly girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
brendan keeps thinking kieran is slower than him, cause he also learned righta t 3, and kieran is just doing a little at 3.75... i figure as long as he is interestsed... what he has trouble with is writing- doesn't like pencils.
Addy doesnt like to write either, her fine motor skills are lacking in the pencil grasp, etc. so she just gives up and says its too hard.

#609 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
yeah she is and me being her mom doesnt make me biased one bit

normally Addy does too, but she just didnt want to leave the warmth of the van. silly girl.

Addy doesnt like to write either, her fine motor skills are lacking in the pencil grasp, etc. so she just gives up and says its too hard.
my son, 10, has excellent fine motor skills - can draw in detail -but STILL doesn't like writing. its very very common - for him, its because his brain moves faster than he can write, so he can tell a whole story, for instance, in the time it takes me to (barely keeping up) type it - but if he were to write it, it'd take hours and he'd lose his "mojo".

this is a new era- physical writing is quickly becoming a thing of the past. not that he won't be perfectly able to (and is perfectly able) write a shopping list or a greeting card, etc. but its just barely necessary anymore.
#610 of 1618 Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM

can i complain about the lack of respect for us in this house?
i have asthma, not badly, but its there. i am also highly sensitive to chemicals, especially air chemicals, like air freshener sprays, plug ins, etc. it gives me migraines, makes my sinuses swell, and my bronchial passages start to swell too. its scary, and painful.
i have asked my mom, dad, brother, etc not to spray anything when i am home. i even bought some natural sprays that dont hurt me to the point of wanting to pass out, and keep one in the abthroom, one in the hall closet, etc.
i have asked my mom SO many times not to spray the chemical sprays when i am home, because, they spread, and i innevitably walk through them, etc.
so, i have a small tummy bug tonight and have been making trips to the bathroom, using the fan, opening the window, using the natural spray, etc.
in between trips my mom sprayed some lysol, or airwicks, or something that is STRONG and takes a LONG time to dissapate, into the bathroom, and shut the door. so when i went in, the fan was off. the window open, and the air was THICK with spray.
even though i opened the window, and turned on the fan, put my face into my shirt. i still started to quickly feel the effects, my head started pounding, and i started to have an athma attack. i got out as fast as i could (while having this owwie tummy bug) and calmed my breathing, and got some cool clean air outside. came in and went to ask my mom AGAIN to not spray that chemical spray, and she inturrupted me and said "yeah, i heard you, are you done?" with tons of attitude and then just dismissed me.
i am her daughter for freak sakes! and it doesnt bother her one bit that her actions are physically hurting me.
she acts like i am doing this just to spite her.
yeah, cause its FUN feeling like i might never breath again.

#611 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM

I had a great mechanic in Beaverton (Canyon Auto Repair), but I need one over here. Someone who won't cheat me. I need an oil change and a tune up now-ish, but you know, I need someone for general maintenance.

Speaking of which, car-savvy people, I have to take the car in for inspection this month. Should I just assume that it will pass, or do you usually get the car tuned up beforehand?

Oh, no, intervention time...
#612 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Talk about procrastination. I just finished getting our 2007 taxes together for the accountant. 2 more days before the LAST deadline. Whew.

Now... my goal is to work on one month each Thursday of 2008 so I can have it done by Jan. That way if we have to pay we have til April to come up with money.

I hate taxes.

Oh and can I just say.. my mom is a B.

My brother is getting married on the 25th. They are going down to Cali with Amanda for the wedding. We aren't going as DH just started a new job recently and it cost a lot of money. (and I think weddings are a waste of money that could be used for more important things... say a downpayment on a house, but that is besides the point.) So I think my mother is annoyed we aren't going to be there.. even though she hasn't said anything.

Well Friday as we were getting ready to go out of town, my brother calls. One of the brides maids backed out and they want Amanda to be in the wedding. Everyone is wearing different dresses of the same color so she just needs to go get a dress of the right color. There is a bridal shop in Happy Valley (it's a chain) so she can get a dress there.

Anyway.. my mother decides they are going to get this dress this afternoon. I had told my brother it has to wait til payday..which is this coming friday but my mother thinks we need to get it RIGHT NOW. I told her yesterday I had to wait til payday. She glared at me. Today she asks me again if I am going and I told her I needed to get these taxes done while Levi is off work today. (government holiday.) She threw a fit. When I went to pick up Alex she again asked me if I was going with her today and I said no. I have to get these taxes done but I could go with her tomorrow. She says, "Well that is just not acceptable." And we get in a huge fight. I reminded her if she goes by herself i am only paying HALF of $80 (what was agreed on friday) and she goes "You were never going to pay for any of it anyway.. everything is all about money with you." So I said well everything is about controling everybody with you and slammed out of her house and haven't talked to her since. I have no idea if she went or not. And now I have to take Alex to Bre's ballet lesson (nightmare) tomorrow cause I am not talking to her.

I have no idea why she thinks Josh's wedding in TWO WEEKS is more important than me getting these taxes done before the 15th deadline. But according to her it is more important (she even said so,) and it pisses me off.

Anyway... that was my lovely day. Work day at preschool, huge fight with my mother.. and working on taxes until 8.
#613 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:24 AM

soooo is mercury in retro grade? is it moms over 50 get to be rude night? whats the deal?

#614 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
soooo is mercury in retro grade? is it moms over 50 get to be rude night? whats the deal?
Just caught up. Sorry Tiff. I could just see my mom doing crap like that TO be spiteful. Like she thinks you are making shit up to annoy her. Or you want attention or some such crap. Just like her feeding Alex captain crunch last week. And when I asked her if she feed him trix or some such garbage she said, Amanda feed him captain crunch. I asked Amanda not to feed it to him and she said, Grandma told me too. WTF? I knew he was feed crap cause his poop was bright freaking green. :

So yea.. I can see my mom doing crap like spraying air freshener becuase she thinks it smells good and it's "her house."
#615 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Sorry Tiff. I hope you get out of there soon. You guys seemed to have had a much better relationship before everyone lived together. : for some awesome roomies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Talk about procrastination. I just finished getting our 2007 taxes together for the accountant. 2 more days before the LAST deadline. Whew.

Now... my goal is to work on one month each Thursday of 2008 so I can have it done by Jan. That way if we have to pay we have til April to come up with money.

I hate taxes.

My brother is getting married on the 25th. They are going down to Cali with Amanda for the wedding. We aren't going as DH just started a new job recently and it cost a lot of money. (and I think weddings are a waste of money that could be used for more important things... say a downpayment on a house, but that is besides the point.) So I think my mother is annoyed we aren't going to be there.. even though she hasn't said anything.

Well Friday as we were getting ready to go out of town, my brother calls. One of the brides maids backed out and they want Amanda to be in the wedding. Everyone is wearing different dresses of the same color so she just needs to go get a dress of the right color. There is a bridal shop in Happy Valley (it's a chain) so she can get a dress there.

Anyway.. my mother decides they are going to get this dress this afternoon. I had told my brother it has to wait til payday..which is this coming friday but my mother thinks we need to get it RIGHT NOW. I told her yesterday I had to wait til payday. She glared at me. Today she asks me again if I am going and I told her I needed to get these taxes done while Levi is off work today. (government holiday.) She threw a fit. When I went to pick up Alex she again asked me if I was going with her today and I said no. I have to get these taxes done but I could go with her tomorrow. She says, "Well that is just not acceptable." And we get in a huge fight. I reminded her if she goes by herself i am only paying HALF of $80 (what was agreed on friday) and she goes "You were never going to pay for any of it anyway.. everything is all about money with you." So I said well everything is about controling everybody with you and slammed out of her house and haven't talked to her since. I have no idea if she went or not. And now I have to take Alex to Bre's ballet lesson (nightmare) tomorrow cause I am not talking to her.

I have no idea why she thinks Josh's wedding in TWO WEEKS is more important than me getting these taxes done before the 15th deadline. But according to her it is more important (she even said so,) and it pisses me off.

Anyway... that was my lovely day. Work day at preschool, huge fight with my mother.. and working on taxes until 8.
Glad you got those taxes done

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#616 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 AM

what is it with old ladies? seriously i am hoping that when my children are grown i wont be causing them asthma attacks and not caring.
its like the older a woman in my family gets the worse of a person she becomes.

#617 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 AM

for Tiff and Tina. And just so you know...it isn't just the WOMEN over 50.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#618 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM

yeah Sara, we get along MUCH better when we arent living here. the problem is that she is really REALLY passive aggressive. AND she has a TERRIBLE memory. like, my sister and i speculate on early altzhiemers (sp?) so not only does she not remember that her daughter of 26 years who she raised seeing all these health problems, etc, has such health problems that CAN be avoided, but sometimes she jsut doesnt care, or it seems like she even goes out of her way to do it, to spite me, like Tina said. it feels very spiteful.
ugh.
so now i am working on a migraine.
and my chest still hurts.
and my tummy is BAD.
and i want to scream at the woman who birthed me.

#619 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed for Mike, Lee! And good luck with your new job - How are you feeling about it?
No news from Mike's job... that's good for now at least.

My job isn't new -- I've had it for 3 years. What is "new" is me going back to traveling for the first time in 2 years since Jake was a little baby. But so far so good -- tomorrow I am at a site here in Portland. Thursday I have a 6:15 am flight to Boise (6:15!!! ugh, gah, eek!) and then back that evening. So no overnights yet.
#620 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
what is it with old ladies? seriously i am hoping that when my children are grown i wont be causing them asthma attacks and not caring.
its like the older a woman in my family gets the worse of a person she becomes.
I don't have that problem. My mom has ALWAYS been crazy. I haven't not had a SO yet who has not said my mother was crazy. Friends in high school said the same thing. Yet everything is always someone else's fault.

Sure she has periods of normalcy.. but she will always lapse into craziness.. especially when important events/hoildays are approaching.
#621 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
for Tiff and Tina. And just so you know...it isn't just the WOMEN over 50.
How is your FIL Eliza? better yet.. how are YOU?
#622 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
I had a great mechanic in Beaverton (Canyon Auto Repair), but I need one over here. Someone who won't cheat me. I need an oil change and a tune up now-ish, but you know, I need someone for general maintenance.

Speaking of which, car-savvy people, I have to take the car in for inspection this month. Should I just assume that it will pass, or do you usually get the car tuned up beforehand?

Oh, no, intervention time...
We have a really really good mechanic... and I think we have the same car as you. He will either do stuff at night, at his own shop (which is up by me) that he works out of which seems to work well for a lot of people who have jobs. He also works out of another shop in Oregon City during the day.

Depending on what you would want to do, I can give you the number for his after hours office which I'd have to look for but will, or the Oregon City business is:

Estes Garage
411 Pleasant Ave, Oregon City, OR - (503) 657-4116

His name is Xai Maou. He's great. Our car was making a HORRIBLE sound about a year and a half ago. Really, truly hideous, like the motor was going, or we lost the oil pan or something. He diagnosed it quickly as a wheel bearing, replaced it, and didn't cheat us at all. We have been taking our car to him ever since, and it runs like a top. Tell him Todd sent you.

Quote:

I hate taxes.

That's a pretty unreasonable way for her to behave. Sorry you are having to deal with that. Glad you didn't give in though. Because yeah. You gotta do what you've gotta do.
#623 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Sorry Tiff. I hope you get out of there soon. You guys seemed to have had a much better relationship before everyone lived together. : for some awesome roomies.
Yeah, I have to say that I'm really glad my mom lives in a community of folks 55 and over only. Can't move back home, even if I wanted to. We would drive each other CRAZY. CRAZY, I tell you!

Distance truly does help this relationship of ours. I love her, but we are SO different. So very, very different.

Quote:
Yes. It is retrograde in Libra, and goes direct again on the 15th.

What you said... about women over 50 being rude day reminded me of something my mom said to me one Thanksgiving. It made me laugh then, and it still makes me laugh, although I know that wasn't her intention at all, which made her even more mad, which only made me laugh harder.

Yeah... not the best pair, us.

"Hedy, today is Thanksgiving day. It is NOT be a bitch day."

Quote:
yeah Sara, we get along MUCH better when we arent living here. the problem is that she is really REALLY passive aggressive. AND she has a TERRIBLE memory. like, my sister and i speculate on early altzhiemers (sp?) so not only does she not remember that her daughter of 26 years who she raised seeing all these health problems, etc, has such health problems that CAN be avoided, but sometimes she jsut doesnt care, or it seems like she even goes out of her way to do it, to spite me, like Tina said. it feels very spiteful.
ugh.
so now i am working on a migraine.
and my chest still hurts.
and my tummy is BAD.
and i want to scream at the woman who birthed me.
Yeah, I would want to scream at her too. It sounds like she, true to passive/aggressive form, is trying to make things uncomfortable for you, so you want to move, sucky as that is.

Ugh. I'm sorry about this situation all around. It's so hard when people function on manipulation like that.

Quote:
I don't have that problem. My mom has ALWAYS been crazy. I haven't not had a SO yet who has not said my mother was crazy. Friends in high school said the same thing. Yet everything is always someone else's fault.

Sure she has periods of normalcy.. but she will always lapse into craziness.. especially when important events/hoildays are approaching.
Yep. Todd just yesterday told me that he thought my dad was the better parent. And we ALL know how I feel about him these days.

Although... I will say that I identified with what Candice said the other day about her mom. I understand a lot of why she is the way she is now, and have respect for her. She has a different level of respect for me too that she didn't have before, so things have gotten better... but she still has her moments.
#624 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
How is your FIL Eliza? better yet.. how are YOU?
Lol. He's as old and crotchety as ever. The other day I made him some migas for breakfast. I sat it at his place at the table. I made everyone else's food. I had Alexia and Lucian's food sitting on the counter and went upstairs to get them. While I was upstairs, FIL got up, covered up his migas, pushed it aside and took one of the kids' bowls. Fine. I made another one. While everyone else was eating, I was making soup for later. Cutting veggies and such. When FIL finished the food, he handed me the bowl and said, "Can you make me some eggs?" I pulled his migas over and uncovered it. I said, "I made this for you. This was yours. You took the kids food." He shook his head and said, "Oh, that's ok. You can make me some eggs." ARGH!!! Normally I would have said, "No. I'm not making you anything else until you eat what I already made you!" but I just don't have the energy to argue with him.
The kids and I are sick still. I have the worst of it though. So, that's good I guess. I didn't get to sleep until about 5am this morning though. I couldn't lay down. I was SO tired, but as soon as I got semi-comfortable, I couldn't breathe. After I finally got to sleep, I woke up 2 or 3 times with a bloody nose. My sinuses are all messed up.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#625 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Lol. He's as old and crotchety as ever. The other day I made him some migas for breakfast. I sat it at his place at the table. I made everyone else's food. I had Alexia and Lucian's food sitting on the counter and went upstairs to get them. While I was upstairs, FIL got up, covered up his migas, pushed it aside and took one of the kids' bowls. Fine. I made another one. While everyone else was eating, I was making soup for later. Cutting veggies and such. When FIL finished the food, he handed me the bowl and said, "Can you make me some eggs?" I pulled his migas over and uncovered it. I said, "I made this for you. This was yours. You took the kids food." He shook his head and said, "Oh, that's ok. You can make me some eggs." ARGH!!! Normally I would have said, "No. I'm not making you anything else until you eat what I already made you!" but I just don't have the energy to argue with him.
The kids and I are sick still. I have the worst of it though. So, that's good I guess. I didn't get to sleep until about 5am this morning though. I couldn't lay down. I was SO tired, but as soon as I got semi-comfortable, I couldn't breathe. After I finally got to sleep, I woke up 2 or 3 times with a bloody nose. My sinuses are all messed up.

s I hope you feel better soon. Have you tired to lay semi reclined?
#626 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 AM

It really hurts my feelings that Amanda always takes my stupid mother's side. I called to ask if she went to get that stupid dress. Apparently they did. (I didn't say stupid to her that time however.) So then I said, well I don't know why your grandmother couldn't wait until tomorrow. If I am gonna pay for half of it I should be able to have a say in it right? (I only said Italic stuff to her.)

So then she was all. don't you DARE pull me into this. I was all what? I just said I don't know why you guys couldn't have waited til tomorrow. Don't you dare. (so now I am getting pissed off) I am not pulling you into anything.. I just wanna know why you couldn't have waited til tomorrow to get that stupid dress. You know.. the stupid dress that is more important than anything else. So then she tells me not to talk to her and hangs up.

I am going to put the kids to bed.. bbl maybe.

So much for a nice weekend.. back to the crap.
#627 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
s I hope you feel better soon. Have you tired to lay semi reclined?
I have tried, but it's difficult. Lucky sleeps on a futon mat on the floor and I sleep on the futon. I have it in couch position, but sitting up is so uncomfortable.

#628 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
No news from Mike's job... that's good for now at least.

My job isn't new -- I've had it for 3 years. What is "new" is me going back to traveling for the first time in 2 years since Jake was a little baby. But so far so good -- tomorrow I am at a site here in Portland. Thursday I have a 6:15 am flight to Boise (6:15!!! ugh, gah, eek!) and then back that evening. So no overnights yet.
Oh. I knew it was the same job - I just meant that the traveling part is new. I know it must be hard to leave Jake - I'm glad there are no overnights yet.
#629 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:

That was sweet of you to make migas for your FIL. I'm sorry he wasn't able to appreciate it. I hope you feel better soon. You do so much Eliza. I bet it feels like a big load when you are sick on top of everything.
#630 of 1618 Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM

The clouds and moon were so beautiful this morning that I cried for a few minutes on my ride into work today. So, so beautiful.

Though, the tears reactivated this horrible burning eye sensation that I've had since swimming at Mt. Scott on Sunday. The chlorine has never bothered me so much, I don't know what's going on.

Sorry you're still so sick, Eliza.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page