Spooky October in PDX - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Lydia, My real estate agent recently told us that once you have a tenate in Oregon it takes an act of God to get them out. I think really those people can "ignore" the eviction notice and then he will have to take them to court. And in Cali if you are taken to court as long as you pay the rent they can't evict you. My stepdad did a lot of work for lower end property owners and often had to go to court to help get someone evicted (someone who never paid and destroyed the house.) As long as they paid, they were allowed to stay.

These families need to talk to whatever is the housing authority in Oregon and find out their rights. Yes I realize the property owner has a right to his rent, however families have a right to a roof over their heads with winter coming!!!
I guess it's bad for them we're in Washington. WA is a no-cause state, he can evict them for pretty much no reason with the 20 day notice. Several of the soon to be evicted families spoke with lawyers yesterday and were told they had no leg to stand on for fighting the evictions. I hope at least some of them will find housing close by.
#62 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Ugh. Woke up with a headache, sore throat and drippy nose. Didn't a bunch of you go through this last week? It's a short, mild cold, right? Go ahead, lie to me if you have to.

Lee, what's the "recipe" for the ACV drink again? And that helps fight off colds??

1 tsp ACV
1 tsp raw honey
Mixed into approximately 8oz water.

Feel better! And yes, it is a mild cold!
#63 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I guess it's bad for them we're in Washington. WA is a no-cause state, he can evict them for pretty much no reason with the 20 day notice. Several of the soon to be evicted families spoke with lawyers yesterday and were told they had no leg to stand on for fighting the evictions. I hope at least some of them will find housing close by.
Damn, I forgot you were in WA. They should still contact your housing authority. 20 day notice is crap. If nothing else, maybe they can help with placement.
#64 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM

i just picked 23.9 POUNDS of lemon cucumbers and there are more on the vine. help??? doesn't anyone want these?

:
#65 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yesterday was awful, just plain awful. Apparently the owner of my apartment complex is tired of people being behind on their rent. We have 25 tenants here. He handed out 10 eviction notices, most of them to people my husband, children and I have become quite close to in the last 3 years we've lived here. They're all 20 day notices, but my heart is just aching for all of these families. There's one family that has lived here for 10 years and they are literally facing homelessness because of the lack of affordable housing available right now. Oh I am just so sad to possibly be losing so many of my neighbors and friends.
That's awful! so sorry for those families. It really hits home for me...
#66 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Anyone (Beth!) have a good recipe for tomato sauce to freeze? Looks like my roma-type tomatoes are finally ripening...all at once!
Here ya go. Post #25. All you need to know about tomato sauce.

Quote:
Damn, I forgot you were in WA. They should still contact your housing authority. 20 day notice is crap. If nothing else, maybe they can help with placement.
It's only 30 days here in Oregon. No cause, you're out. Boggles my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
i just picked 23.9 POUNDS of lemon cucumbers and there are more on the vine. help??? doesn't anyone want these?

:
Lyla, are you on the PDXmamascoop list? I bet someone there would scoop them up to pickle them! Want me to post for you?
#67 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM

#68 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

:
That's a lot of cucs! If I were in town i'd come get some!

Sophie and I are headed to see the ENT today...
#69 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Yes but according to my real estate agent... if they wont leave.. it takes an "act of god" to get them out. They can drag it on forever.
#70 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes but according to my real estate agent... if they wont leave.. it takes an "act of god" to get them out. They can drag it on forever.
So claims my brother, who is in property management. Nevertheless, the law states that a landlord can evict without cause with 30 days notice. Don't know if that only applies if there is no lease. I know it's very hard for a tenant to break a lease here. In NY, landlords are only too happy to let you out of a lease, because it means they can turn over the apartment and raise the rent. It's very different here. The laws are very biased in favor of landlords.
#71 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Here ya go. Post #25. All you need to know about tomato sauce.

Lyla, are you on the PDXmamascoop list? I bet someone there would scoop them up to pickle them! Want me to post for you?
sure! what is it??
#72 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM

So where is this rain? I sent DH to work in a long sleeved shirt cause they were already ironed and the others were in the dryer and I didn't want to wait up. DH wears shorts in the snow.. so I hope he doesn't complain too much... But I thought it was supposed to be cold and rainy.
#73 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Hey mamas... I'm in search of some newborn donor milk. This little babes mama was hospitalized and baby is in need of breastmilk.

I'm gonna pump and see what I can get...I have a pick up person in Portland...as this mama is in PDX area.

PLEASE PM ME
#74 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
Hey mamas... I'm in search of some newborn donor milk. This little babes mama was hospitalized and baby is in need of breastmilk.

I'm gonna pump and see what I can get...I have a pick up person in Portland...as this mama is in PDX area.

PLEASE PM ME
PM Laura. I believe she offered some up on the yahoo group the other day when MDC was down.
#75 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM

So, if you give someone 150 million reasons NOT to take a Work Order in Tualatin (where you are expected to pack four kids up in the car and pick them up and or waiting around for them to finish, from Sandy mind you.) and in the end tell them to do whatever the F they want and hang up on them cause they keep arguing. Would you expect them to take a clue you think its a bad idea or would you expect them to take the work order???
#76 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
sure! what is it??
It's a Yahoo group. I'll email. Starting to get busy now.

Quote:
So, if you give someone 150 million reasons NOT to take a Work Order in Tualatin (where you are expected to pack four kids up in the car and pick them up and or waiting around for them to finish, from Sandy mind you.) and in the end tell them to do whatever the F they want and hang up on them cause they keep arguing. Would you expect them to take a clue you think its a bad idea or would you expect them to take the work order???
I would skip the 150 reasons, and simply say "no." Direct communication, works for me!
#77 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
See if she would take methyl B12 sublinguals (a form of B12 supplement) Research is now showing that as we age, many people absorb less B12 and it may be the leading cause of dementia/memory loss/alzheimers
she takes a b complex and b-12 on her own along with ginko. she is just... gone. has had many neuro appts, MRIs etc (3 of her sibs have MS! so they want to check her regularly) they keep saying NOTHING is wrong with her brain. unfortunately she cant remember ANYTHING.
Quote:
Yesterday was awful, just plain awful. Apparently the owner of my apartment complex is tired of people being behind on their rent. We have 25 tenants here. He handed out 10 eviction notices, most of them to people my husband, children and I have become quite close to in the last 3 years we've lived here. They're all 20 day notices, but my heart is just aching for all of these families. There's one family that has lived here for 10 years and they are literally facing homelessness because of the lack of affordable housing available right now. Oh I am just so sad to possibly be losing so many of my neighbors and friends.
oh Lydia thats so terrible. my heart aches for those poor families! i am sorry you have to watch your friends go through this. *sending love and light*
Quote:
That's a lot of cucs! If I were in town i'd come get some!

Sophie and I are headed to see the ENT today...
oh, whats up? everyone ok?
Quote:

PLEASE PM ME
i dont have any, but i will send some positive vibes for the mama and the baby.
def PM Laura, she was offering up colostrumy milk off thread yesterday (day before?)
*love and light*

so my dad got Addy a "i want to be a princess" kit from Costco last night while he was there, cause no one can leave the house without getting her something. seriously they spoil her ROTTEN. : its a semi cute kit, but omg she is obsessing all she wants to do is the crafts, mostof which dont come with all the materials, and our craft drawers are a lil empty right now thanks to the craft kick she got into a few weeks ago and no $ to buy more.
so i get to be the big meany and tell her "sorry babe, we just cant do that one cause we dont have anything even remotely like what it calls for.
poor kid. its really upsetting her.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#78 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM

thanks! latch issues, tied tongue, I'm nervous though...
#79 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Well, in true monkey paw wish fashion, my longing for MDC time has come at a price. A sad, pukey, sleeping price. Nico's got some kind of stomach virus. At least, I hope that's what it is. He's been burping really oddly after he finished drinking for the last week, and I'd been starting to worry about reflux. I'm hoping that it's just a coincidence that he's spewing bile.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

My birthday kind of sucked. Started off with a letter from a friend/ex-boyfriend who insists on telling me that he still j's-off about me a few times a year. He thinks that women like hearing stuff like this because it makes them feel wanted. It's a very uncomfortable friendship, basically a "friends close, enemies closer" situation. I won't get into how that's progressing, but it's a pain in my ass.

And the rest of the birthday was filled with work and then home-stress. Ryan pulled through when he got home in the evening, though: an external harddrive for my dying computer, halloween socks, and some gift cards to replace all those clothes I had to throw out. Yay!!! He also tossed in a little sympathy for my day, so that was nice.

Since I have computer time, I guess I should get some work done and maybe get a blog post out.

ladies

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#80 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Welcome October. :
I usually get lost on this big thread, so I do not post much since I spend most of my time trying to play catch up on reading.
So since I made it to the end I wanted to say

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#81 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi!!!!

Thursdays are my only day during the week where the ONLY THING I have to do is take Elizabeth to and pick her up from school. So I can actually get stuff done between 9 and 3.

I guess that means.. I better go clean the kitchen and family room. If I am lucky I might even get to the clean laundry that is piled up and needs folded. I need a Rosie.. from the Jetsons.
#82 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM

oh Sara, so sorry bout Nicos tummy. : the burping could just be from eating too fast, talking while eating, etc. it happens to Addy too when she is bouncy during meals, so like, everytime she eats. i'm so sorry he is puking bile. poor guy. sending love and light.

Nicole, have you seen Lyla already? if they clip it her latch should improve dramatically. sending positive vibes your way too.

Niamh is going through some sort of new seperation anxiety. i cant put her down for even a second to take my meds without her disolving into hysterics, but then she will randomly squirm away from me and go try to roam the house.
she is so fickle.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#83 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM

I just got my new computer. It's so tiny. It makes my poor old one look like a frump, and it's only a year and a half old.

It's a pretty day...I like the first gray days.
#84 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM

ooooh, enjoy your 'puter-moon!

#85 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 PM

update on my sister if anyone is interested... she is the one I posted about with the pkd and preeclampsia.

Please pray or say good thoughts for my sister... she has been sent to the hospital. Things are not looking good.

Thanks all,
Heather
#86 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I have used it for chocolate chip cookies and DH loves it. I think they were a bit too sweet. I don't know how it would work in peanut butter cookies. However I always use shortening in cookies.

And Ugg.. The train has been JUST late enough all week that DH has missed his 6.00pm bus from Gresham to Sandy all week.. Now he is getting home at 7 rather than 6:30. When the kids get ready for bed at 8 this is a big deal. :
me too, only kiddo actually goes up to start at 7, and just misses daddy
#87 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
she takes a b complex and b-12 on her own along with ginko. she is just... gone. has had many neuro appts, MRIs etc (3 of her sibs have MS! so they want to check her regularly) they keep saying NOTHING is wrong with her brain. unfortunately she cant remember ANYTHING.
check and see if her sublinguals are methylcobalimin not cynocobalimin (prolly misspelled them both but you get the gist). Some people (like me) have trouble converting the cyno to the methyl and that is the kind your brain actually needs. Also adenocobalmin (another form of B12) helps the brain. Some people even think many cases of MS are just a B12 problem b/c after long enough, it has all the same symptoms including brain lesions. I know too much about this right now as I am suffering from B12 related symptoms. I am on the thread that you might check out for more info:
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/sho...=9948&page=478
be sure to read all the signs and symptoms of B12 related disorders. It boggles the mind. Literally!
#88 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 PM

what about paper towels, that is what i do... easier than wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Hey Kristin!!! wow thats kind of scary about the chandalier! i think my heart would stop if i saw that.
wish we could get back to game night sooner rather than later.

Eliza, thats great about Lucky getting in so fast i hope things work out. i might have to see her next, cause with the way i feel, and what i have been reading about fibromyalgia it all makes sense now.
call me anytime, k?

so my mom has like... NO memory, NONE. its actually getting kind of scary and my sister and i have talked about it on the sly, looking for signs of alzheimers(sp?). well it seems that every few days she puts something in the microwave to cook, covers it with plastic wrap then tries to serve it with dinner, something i am SO not comfortable feeding my family.
it happend three times this week, me getting increasingly more and more upset each time it happened, having the "it causes cancer!!!" talk with her each time and pleading her not to do it anymore. so i was proactive and made a sign, taped it to the microwave "NO plastic in the microwave please, it causes cancer"
so what does she do for dinner tonight? (we trade cooking days and dishes days) she microwaves a bag of rice and veggies in the freezer bag it was bought in. just poked a few holes in it and called it good.
omg i am ready to lose my cool.
we talked about it YESTERDAY. and the day before, and the day before that. and i made a freaking sign!!!!!
her resonse "well how am i supposed to heat things up then?"
"well you could empty it into a pot and cook it on the stove, or in the oven, depending on the product, OR if you really need to microwave it for time constraints, put it in a bowl, cover the bowl with a plate and nuke it, no plastic.
"well can i put it in the tupperware???" NO!!!!!!
aggg. i swear she is losing all her marbles one by one.
#89 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Well that was fun while it lasted, Nico is already better! A little 6 hour sickness, go figure. : He's eaten, hydrated, and just a little more cuddly than usual.

#90 of 1618 Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 PM

anyone in the portland area have a car seat bag I can borrow for the trip to texas next week? Or a good idea of where to buy one affordably? Last time we just wrapped in plastic bag but I want to make sure it is easier to lug around this time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page