Spooky October in PDX - Page 54 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1591 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Oh, man, me too! I think it's why I can be such a shut-in. I never want to insert myself into other people's plans unless they specifically say all are invited, and I rarely call people - even good friends - to initiate a get-together. I always feel like they must have something more important to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
: Happy Halloween!
Right back atcha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1592 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
Superquick drive by...I need a rec for a mechanic in SE PDX. I've got a mechanic I like in Beavertron, but I'd like to find someone closer. Nothing wrong right now, I just need an oil change, but it would be nice to have someone close by. The mechanic in 'tron does oil changes without an appointment, if I could find someone who does that, it would be great.

I like http://www.bernardsgarage.com/ it's a very old company, active in the community, very reliable. And near Cha Cha Cha and the awesome Milwaukie Library.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#1593 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
So Kieran's plan was:
Him: Green ghost
Me: White ghost
Dad: Yellow ghost

I refused to spend $15 per sheet, so went to Goodwill... found one stinking green sheet, so we are all small and green. Kid wigged out in Goodwill, had trouble leaving, decided he wanted to 'eat there' (candy!) after we checked out... i had to cut down a fitted sheet, hem it, fix the eye holes that i did wrong... and he had an "i want NOTHING' morning... i hope he likes handing out candy (his choice).
This sounds SO much like Lily at his age. SO much.
#1594 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
I like http://www.bernardsgarage.com/ it's a very old company, active in the community, very reliable. And near Cha Cha Cha and the awesome Milwaukie Library.
Mmmm.... cha cha cha. I haven't been there in a while. I have no idea why, but Todd doesn't like that place. He'll go for either Don Pedro or Burrito Loco in a though. I'm not crazy about those places though. Yes, they are authentic, but VERY greasy. I guess I just answered my own question about that.

Rode in the rain today. Took my hood off on the way home. It was just nice to feel the rain on my face and head. I'm sure I won't always feel that way, especially once it gets really cold, but today was good. My face feels so soft right now.
#1595 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Dakota & Salila are both home today (school called yesterday and said D had a fever, please come now...ugh) I picked him up, his color was weird and lethargic. But this morning....right now...they are laughing and playing, and arguing back & forth, normal. ?
Drew called, and the thinking is that they will be back in 3 weeks, *maybe* even 3 days! i am hoping 3 days!!! the job is very close to being finished, so that is good to hear. now i feel like i am on the other side of this thing-whew.
i don't know if we will trick or treat, or not. i don't know how i would actually go about *not* trick or treating, as it is a hardcore tradition in this house LOL but they seem healthy to me...i will see this afternoon i guess.
i am looking forward to watching scary movies tonight, myself!
i am glad Nico is OK-it is so scary when kids are like that.

Karen: Oh, man, me too! I think it's why I can be such a shut-in. I never want to insert myself into other people's plans unless they specifically say all are invited, and I rarely call people - even good friends - to initiate a get-together. I always feel like they must have something more important to do

This is so me.Crowds are also hard for me. But I am *Trying*! I really enjoy being around others.

Ugh, well the house isn't going to clean itself, I had better run.
Happy Halloween everyone! Have fun tonight!!!
#1596 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Hedy tht sounds lovely
Pauline. omg can Sophia get ANY cuter?! she is so adorable! great pumpkins too

its my anniversary!!!!! 5 years

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#1597 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM

got my new laptop! It's the Asus eee-1000 and it's so little and cute! And we paid less than that amazon listing.

Beth, you should just come over to my house and attempt to change your oil... immediately Cliff will run out and do it the right way. Voila! free oil change!

Maddy is a kitty for halloween! Our neighbor sent over her costume yesterday. So cute! I'm going to sort out my flickr account and get some recent pics up soon, the costume and of course Amelia!

Pauline, those pics are so cute! Sophia looks so much like Shawn in that pic with the two of them!

Amelia's throwing me for a loop... she gets over stimulated easily and gets lots of swing time, then she cries and I hold her, then she roots and I try to nurse her and then she freaks out and I have to soothe her again, likely with the swing, and then eventually she gets tired enough that she just nurses and then she sleeps. At only a month old she holds her poop all night and then lets loose when I put her over the potty in the morning. Unfortunatley 7-9PM is a big fussy time and I don't think I'll be doing knit nights for some time . I miss you ladies!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#1598 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, let's!

Hmm. He's taking a multivitamin, but not a specific Vit D anything. I'll have to check the levels in his multi. Thanks for the tip! We did give him Calms Forte last night. So he slept well while asleep (if that makes sense - he wasn't as restless) but was still awake 2:30-4:30 and eating a lot.

Oh, man, me too! I think it's why I can be such a shut-in. I never want to insert myself into other people's plans unless they specifically say all are invited, and I rarely call people - even good friends - to initiate a get-together. I always feel like they must have something more important to do

I was really adamant about no candy in the house - because I've been so successful at not eating junk and I don't want to sabotage myself - so we are handing out PlayDoh and yo-yo's.
I think the way you describe yourself is very common for a more introverted personality. Those of us who are extraverts can be just the opposite: calling everyone and then feeling like we are bugging people

so, I will call you! Ha ha
#1599 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 04:50 PM

Sarah, how is nico this morning? i didn't see an update

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#1600 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 PM

happy halloweenie!!

(i am so juvenille )

ppd is so rough. big hugs.
#1601 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
got my new laptop! It's the Asus eee-1000 and it's so little and cute! And we paid less than that amazon listing.
Amelia's throwing me for a loop... she gets over stimulated easily and gets lots of swing time, then she cries and I hold her, then she roots and I try to nurse her and then she freaks out and I have to soothe her again, likely with the swing, and then eventually she gets tired enough that she just nurses and then she sleeps. At only a month old she holds her poop all night and then lets loose when I put her over the potty in the morning. Unfortunatley 7-9PM is a big fussy time and I don't think I'll be doing knit nights for some time . I miss you ladies!
Hooray for a new laptop! Chase was like Amelia - there were nights we spent two hours in front of the stove exhaust or in the bathroom with the fan on, as it was the only thing that would soothe him I hope it passes soon. We miss you at knit night, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
I think the way you describe yourself is very common for a more introverted personality. Those of us who are extraverts can be just the opposite: calling everyone and then feeling like we are bugging people

so, I will call you! Ha ha
I'd like that.

I just finished my first adult sweater! OK, it needs buttons. But I can wear it as is, so I say it's DONE. Feels nice, and I reached my goal of finishing it before Nov. 1st

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#1602 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Hedy tht sounds lovely
Pauline. omg can Sophia get ANY cuter?! she is so adorable! great pumpkins too

its my anniversary!!!!! 5 years
Happy Anniversary!!

Quote:
Yay! Welcome back! And odd, I was having some strong Laura vibes last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Sarah, how is nico this morning? i didn't see an update
Awe, thanks for asking. I updated around 6am. He's better!!! Still wiped out, but showing huge improvement. :

Quote:
I just finished my first adult sweater! OK, it needs buttons. But I can wear it as is, so I say it's DONE. Feels nice, and I reached my goal of finishing it before Nov. 1st
Ooooh, congrats!! And, sorry for that rough day a few days ago. I didn't catch that one in my multi's for some reason. Sounds like you're past that little dark cloud.

#1603 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Joi

We miss you too Laura.....if you are up for it we could knit at my house one morning/afternoon.

Karen.... sweet. We will expect to see it thursday

I headed over to the catlin gabel sale today and was a little underwhelmed. I need to have a bigger lady naked lady party.
#1604 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi View Post
We miss you too Laura.....if you are up for it we could knit at my house one morning/afternoon.

I headed over to the catlin gabel sale today and was a little underwhelmed. I need to have a bigger lady naked lady party.
yes, bring on the naked. i would have it, but my timing is always hard for others.

just tossing it out again, those in nopo feel free to come to my election (no naked) party on tues... only it's mostly hubby and kiddo who will be home, but there are drinkies and wings, just PM for adrs and more deets.
#1605 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Definitely! Maybe by then it will have buttons...

Quote:
Why do I always miss that?? Well, guess I didn't miss much. Is it all weekend?

Chase and I need something to do Saturday that will take us out of the house for a few hours. DH has a big paper to write. Any suggestions?

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#1606 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the rec. Sprog and I are always up for going to a new cool library.

Quote:

I party for bigger naked ladies? I'm there!

My housemate's mother is coming on Sunday, to stay for at least a month. This morning my housemate offhandedly remarked that her mother would probably speak French most of the time, and I thought, great. They both speak English, they both speak Spanish...but no, they've got to speak frickin' French. It'll be like I'm not even there. Oh, well. I am adaptable. Right? Right?
#1607 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
Thanks mommas for your support and kind words...and with that I wrote my birth story...on my blog, link is my name in my siggy...
I realize I'm a bit late in all of this, but I just wanted to send a hug your way. PPD is so hard and makes it even harder to reach out to other people. Please do reach out. . .you are loved.

Quote:
Whew, Nico had a good, dry night and has awoke with the stars back in his eyes. YAYAYAY!!

Still have to call the dentist... blah.
I'm so glad he is feeling better! And boo to the dang teeth, already.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#1608 of 1618 Old 10-31-2008, 11:42 PM

my sisters wedding was sweet. short and sweet, then lunch at mc menn's with cake. yum! Addy wore her costume all day.
my other sister was there. she looks bad. really really bad. my sister that got married and is the only one other sister talks to said she had been to the dr and he said she was allergic.... she has NEVER been allergic to anything ever before, but now suddenly she has an allergy so severe its making her face swell MASSIVELY and her skin ooze? i dont think so. something else is going on with her body. its been like this since she was pregnant, bt has gotten much worse since he was born. like i didnt recognize her it was so bad. i am really really worried for her. i think she has something going on with her that is going to kill her. sooner rather than later. and i wish i could help her. but she wont let us help her. she wont even let us talk to her.
i worry for my sisters life and there is nothing i can do to help her.

other than that, we had a blast at the wedding, and my sister who got married looked AMAZINGLY beautiful and her husband is a great great guy and, he has a son who is Addys age! yay for built in cousins

then we came home and DH ad i got in our costumes, and we hit the pavement. Addy got freaked by a guy in a mask in a coffin. dude, you can see she is a little kid, take this one off!! :
but our anniversay has been sweet. we made it 5 years. i am so in love with my husband.

#1609 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Madison was scared by lights and sounds not by masks. my weird child. Carson got to walk with a dad for a bit that was dressed as dark maul and he being obi one, would have "fights" in the street. it was cool to meet new to me neighbors.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#1610 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Sad that I missed Candice's shindig... we did 4 closest houses trick or treating and then came home because Amelia was screaming, then Maddy pooped in her pants and it was so bad that we had to throw her costume clothes in the wash and give her a shower. And then I was DONE. This toddler+newborn thing is hard. We didn't make it to Grey's birthday either because when it was time to go Maddy wet her pants and then had major meltdowns and we could just not get it together. She was so good at going potty before baby was born... how long will this regression last? I don't have a large size diaper budget... I don't want to. I want to buy her clothes and toys and special snacks, not diapers.

Ooh... bedtime!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#1611 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
my other sister was there. she looks bad. really really bad. my sister that got married and is the only one other sister talks to said she had been to the dr and he said she was allergic.... she has NEVER been allergic to anything ever before, but now suddenly she has an allergy so severe its making her face swell MASSIVELY and her skin ooze? i dont think so. something else is going on with her body. its been like this since she was pregnant, bt has gotten much worse since he was born. like i didnt recognize her it was so bad. i am really really worried for her. i think she has something going on with her that is going to kill her. sooner rather than later. and i wish i could help her. but she wont let us help her. she wont even let us talk to her.
i worry for my sisters life and there is nothing i can do to help her.

other than that, we had a blast at the wedding, and my sister who got married looked AMAZINGLY beautiful and her husband is a great great guy and, he has a son who is Addys age! yay for built in cousins
Is there any way that your sister could be on a medication that is having that affect on her? I know that Allison has had some really major reactions to medications. It's so hard to have a loved one that you feel unable to help.
And congratulations to you on 5 years

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#1612 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 12:57 AM

Mamas: I'm starting a big project with a couple of local birth centers, so if anyone is interested and pregnant (fairly early on), I'll send you info, let me know.
#1613 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Sad that I missed Candice's shindig... we did 4 closest houses trick or treating and then came home because Amelia was screaming, then Maddy pooped in her pants and it was so bad that we had to throw her costume clothes in the wash and give her a shower. And then I was DONE. This toddler+newborn thing is hard. We didn't make it to Grey's birthday either because when it was time to go Maddy wet her pants and then had major meltdowns and we could just not get it together. She was so good at going potty before baby was born... how long will this regression last? I don't have a large size diaper budget... I don't want to. I want to buy her clothes and toys and special snacks, not diapers.

Ooh... bedtime!
oh yes, the toddler + newborn combo is ROUGH. it does get easier. even tho its seems like it never will... it does. . Addy started a potty regression when Niamh was born too. it has gotten better recently, but its taken a while. dont do what i did and lose your cool when it happens. i have noticed if i just remind her to go potty she will most of the time, therefor avoiding the accident. but it is really frustrating when its BAD in the beginning .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
Is there any way that your sister could be on a medication that is having that affect on her? I know that Allison has had some really major reactions to medications. It's so hard to have a loved one that you feel unable to help.
And congratulations to you on 5 years
thanks for the congrats he made me a magic stick : he cut a branch that was hanging mostly off of my favorite tree in the yard, and wrapped it with gorgeous leaves from our favorite walk, and ferns from our fountain area out front, and a flower from the yard. its really beautiful and it will all dry so pretty. i feel like an arse cause i didnt do a damn thing for him... yet :devil:

she COULD be on meds. it started when she was pregnant, so i would think her midwife would have noticed it and tried to fix it.
its BAD. really really really bad. like i totally wouldnt have known she was even my sister if i had passed her on the street.
i am so worried for her.
she had a feeling about her. i cant really put it into words, but to me it felt... close to death. thats the onl way i can describe the... air around her.
am i nuts????
but really. i am scared something VERY serious is happening with her, and she wont let anyone help her.

#1614 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 AM

Oh my poor little Sophia spider had a traumatic Halloween. We met our good friends down in Irvington and set off on our trick or treating. The first few houses went okay except Sophia tripped up some steps and hurt her knee a little. The kids (Sophia and her little buddies) went up to the doors by themselves. On about the third house a boy answered the door in one of those scary masks from the movie Scream -Ghostface I think the character is, and poor Sophia totally jumped out of her skin and started quickly walking away. I knew it freaked her out but she took my hand and kept walking to the next house but then started saying "I want to go home now, I just want to go home" over and over again. I picked her up and she was totally shaking. She couldn't be convinced to keep going or even just walk along with our friends so we just went home. She said in the car she just wanted to trick or treat at our house. So Shawn went inside so she could ring the doorbell and he could give her candy. We went to our landlady's house too but she didn't want to go anywhere else because she was afraid "that boy with the scary mask" would be there.

Then, once we were in our house, some older kids came by (without any costumes - just hats) and I took her to the door with me to give them candy. One of them took out a mask and started to put it on so I asked him not to but it was too late - Sophia had seen it and started shaking again.

Then she said she "wanted to take a nice bath" so I gave her a bath and when she came out there was alot of drama about her knee. I was worried that she had hurt it bad but then Shawn mentioned going to Burgerville (we hadn't had dinner) and she jumped right up and cheered for a strawberry smoothie. So we went to Burgerville and then came home and did 6 puzzles and just now she fell asleep.

Happy Halloween!

I wish people would not answer the door in scary masks too. Especially not at 6pm when all the little ones are out.
#1615 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody have any ideas what kind of food is appropriate to serve at a wake? My sister asked me to bake some stuff and I am totally at a loss. The wake is on Sunday and I don't have any cash to go shopping with so I need some ideas with stuff I have around the house. Am I asking too much? Help?
#1616 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 AM

Lydia,
I think simple things like finger sandwiches are probably best and easiest.

Maybe you could make some muffins? A poundcake?

Coffee and Tea would be appropriate.

Whatever you come up with, remember that it doesn't need to be complicated. People attending a wake know that you have experienced a great loss and shouldn't expect to be fed a meal. I think food at these kind of events kind of gives people something to do with their hands and an excuse to stick around and try and offer comfort to each other. You needn't go to too much trouble.

I'm sorry, again, for your loss.
#1617 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 03:25 AM

most wakes i have been to, someone who isnt directly related to the deceased hosts, so the family can grieve. and many people bring food. its almost like a big potluck, a big sad potluck.
i am so sorry you have to even think about what to serve for a wake.
love you mama

Pauline, i am with you on the WTF, why scare LITTLE kids? my mom has a bowl with a robotic hand that grabs you when you reach for candy. she left it on the table and it got Addy who FREAKED. she is still shaking and moaning. in her sleep.
we got a Chick tract at the only house on the block with a McCain sign in their lawn. ugh. left me feeling dirty after reading it. i recycled it.

#1618 of 1618 Old 11-01-2008, 12:10 PM

New Thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=992059

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page