Spooky October in PDX - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
i hadnt heard that Hedy. whats the concern?

i am feeling a lil better today. at least my bones dont feel like they are on fire anymore. stiil with the cemented sinuses and the runny nose. and now add in hard to breath pus earaches.
i am goung to get something to help me heal at new seasons. any suggestions?
You sound like you have the flu. Occillo?

+++

I don't even really know what the concern was. (I've had time to process it, and am taking it with a grain of salt,) because someone on the Sustainable Living listserv said something about an article in the Weston Price magazine, which apparently isn't online yet, because they don't put the articles online until the magazines sell out. Well, that and most of their articles about cooking tell you TO use stainless steel.

It just seems to me now... that if it was really such a horrible threat, wouldn't it be the responsible thing for them to get the information out there, and not worry about magazine sales, or is that just me?

Considering the source, (WAPF) I don't know if I would believe it without a REALLY substantial bibliography.
#242 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM

Uh, I have a nickel allergy. But I love my stainless. If I'm not reacting to it I can keep using it, right?
#243 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Well I am wet. I just had to pick all my grapes from the back fence... on the street side. The boys next door were picking them and throwing them at people, and getting them all over the street. It's one thing when people pick them to eat.. but damnit.. don't waste food to throw!

I will be spending tomorrow making jam and maybe juice... I still have the grapes on the inside of the fence.

Oh and DH just bought a car for $188. So it was nearly a straight trade.
#244 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
: If someone gave me a number or place to call I could try to see if I could find something...OH FRACK>>>

I might be able to get our school! but it's on Sauvie Island, want me to ask...??? for little, little cost...
Yes, check it out! It might be worth it to drive a bit for an inexpensive venue. Thanks!

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#245 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Considering the source, (WAPF) I don't know if I would believe it without a REALLY substantial bibliography.
Indeed.[TM]

Both children in the bath. Washed Sprogly in spite of his strenuous objection, but trust me, it was time. The excuse was that he had paint all over himself, which was true, but which actually bothers me less than the smell.

Pizza is in the oven. Not doing it on the stones, just in a pan. I'm swooning with hunger.:
#246 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I can't drive DH's new car either. : I can't push the clutch in all the way.
#247 of 1618 Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 PM

"People with nickel allergies should avoid cooking with stainless steel cookware."

Crap. Having lots of health challenges...maybe this is part of it.

Karen, I can check with Mt Tabor Presbyterian Church. Not the most aestheically pleasing space (church dining room) but LOTS of space and a kitchen. Will let you know.
#248 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 AM

Stupid *&(^( maintenance right when I'm about to post. *(^*^

OK, I started a new thread for cake party planning, just to get it off the various threads and into one spot. I'll edit the first post as needed.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#249 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Anyone know how many people came to the cake party last year?? It seemed like a lot, but it was a small and weird room.

Dishman Community Center's auditorium is available on Nov. 22 at 4pm, but it will cost $250. *sigh* Please, please, does anyone know cheaper alternatives that can hold ~75 adults+kids and allow food???
the UPSTAIRS at liberty hall is big and awesome and has a stage and holds 200.. and its CHEAP.
#250 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 AM

Liberty Hall link.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#251 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Well, sh!t. Woke up an hour ago with some kind of reflux thing, still awake. Lovely way to start the week. I've got a bunch of extra stuff after work to do this week, too. This is really all I need.

Welp. Guess I'll pull out my book. Anyone still awake, think sleepy thoughts for me.
#252 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
the UPSTAIRS at liberty hall is big and awesome and has a stage and holds 200.. and its CHEAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post

I am a little ascared of that "elevated stage" with so many little crawlers and wobbly walkers and great big jumpers. But I may be a more "fraidy-cat" mama than most so just disregard if no one else is concerned.
#253 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I am a little ascared of that "elevated stage" with so many little crawlers and wobbly walkers and great big jumpers. But I may be a more "fraidy-cat" mama than most so just disregard if no one else is concerned.
Wasn't there some kind of dance troupe who had a class right before the cake party and got the floors all gross and sweaty too? Maybe we can consult a schedule? I wasn't there but heard about it.

+++

Todd's employer is really starting to annoy me. We STILL haven't been paid, and I need rain gear. I re-discovered the reason I don't like that wool poncho for rain... it is just way too loose a knit, and the rain just gets in anyway. Not so good as rain gear, then it gets stinky and itchy on top of it.

So... once again I have to drive today. I think I might just beg him to take something out of savings so I can ride this afternoon instead, because I worry that I'm going to completely lose my will to do this if I go too long.
#254 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM

That was a different place - Village ballroom . . .

I've been doing some strength exercises in the mornings with small free weights (yay me!) and my arms are just killling me. It's a good pain but ouch! Better get to it while Sophia's still asleep. She does not like it and does everything possible to stop me.
#255 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 AM

Yeah, same with Ruby. She also hates the stroller, so really the only way I can get exercise that she seems to approve of is to ride the bike or strap her to my back and take a walk. Although she's starting to get too heavy for the latter. I thought my ribs were going to fall apart the other day when she was back there too long.

+++

That's good to know about the village ballroom.
#256 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
yeah but they don't respond to that email address. i suggest calling....
#257 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM

update on cake party planning thread
#258 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Todd's employer is really starting to annoy me. We STILL haven't been paid, and I need rain gear. I re-discovered the reason I don't like that wool poncho for rain... it is just way too loose a knit, and the rain just gets in anyway. Not so good as rain gear, then it gets stinky and itchy on top of it.

So... once again I have to drive today. I think I might just beg him to take something out of savings so I can ride this afternoon instead, because I worry that I'm going to completely lose my will to do this if I go too long.
Do you have to do something/activity when you get to where you are going? Why do you need to be dry? I only wear a rain jacket to work when it's cold and thermal pants. My stuff dries at work but if you just go straight home you can change your clothes, right. I understand that if you are going to go shopping, drink coffee, or hang out with friends you can't do it dripping wet but otherwise it's just water. I know getting wet sucks, it really does. I guess I've just gotten used to it.
#259 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I've been doing some strength exercises in the mornings with small free weights (yay me!) and my arms are just killling me. It's a good pain but ouch! Better get to it while Sophia's still asleep. She does not like it and does everything possible to stop me.
Not every day, right??? 'Cause you should only strength train every other day or less. Your muscles need about 48 hours to recover. Cardio (walking, biking, aerobics, etc.) you can do everyday, but not strength training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
update on cake party planning thread
Yep, Nicole managed to book us a place on Sauvie Island for FREE!! Thank you again, Nicole!! You are made of awesome.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#260 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InochiZo View Post
Do you have to do something/activity when you get to where you are going? Why do you need to be dry? I only wear a rain jacket to work when it's cold and thermal pants. My stuff dries at work but if you just go straight home you can change your clothes, right. I understand that if you are going to go shopping, drink coffee, or hang out with friends you can't do it dripping wet but otherwise it's just water. I know getting wet sucks, it really does. I guess I've just gotten used to it.
Well, not every day, but there will be days when I will. Mostly, I can't stand to have a wet back, and it would be wet for a good hour and a half because it's 45 minutes each way, twice a day, so I would need to change clothes when I got home, then either get another outfit wet, or put the wet clothes back on when I went to pick her up. All in all, 3 hours a day with a wet back = not my idea of a good time.

I was at NS the other day and they were watering their hanging plants which are above the bike racks. They have some kind of hose system and it just soaks them for a while. Well, I also got soaked trying to get my bike out of the rack. Could not get that key to work fast enough. The ride home was pretty annoying.
#261 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM

I love living in Oregon! We actually have specific protocol for registering unattended births. It was a 2 minute phone call this morning to have them mail me the paperwork!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#262 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

that's so cool laura

mornin' all!

i have pretty much decided biking season is over for me i should look into some raingear at some point if i get a good paycheck.

we keep getting model home fever. it's so silly. we go look at these giant houses out in happy valley....and then i just can't get my brain around moving out to happy valley. i like the new seasons but that's about it. i just want more than one bathroom and a sewing room that isn't in a freezing basement and a walk-in shower and insulation. but i want it right *here* : i don't think i can live without having culinary options.

ebin sounds like he has lost his voice. he isn't coughing though so i'm not sure if i should take him to the doctor. it sounds like if he DID start coughing it would be that barking seal thing. but he seems totally otherwise happy. wierd!
#263 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Yay, Laura! I love Oregon, too! :

Yeah, I just saw a cyclist wearing a rain poncho on one of those travel shows. I wonder where I could pick one of those up? I bet it would be a whole lot cheaper. I'm getting desperate at this point. I want to ride this afternoon, dammit!

Does anyone know if those are effective enough, or should I hold out for a decent jacket?

ETA: Eww... I can't seem to find a rain poncho that isn't PVC. The sun is coming out. Maybe it will give me a break after all today.
#264 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
we keep getting model home fever. it's so silly. we go look at these giant houses out in happy valley....and then i just can't get my brain around moving out to happy valley. i like the new seasons but that's about it. i just want more than one bathroom and a sewing room that isn't in a freezing basement and a walk-in shower and insulation. but i want it right *here* : i don't think i can live without having culinary options.
Well, if this helps at all.. I read somewhere that Happy Valley had one of the highest foreclosure rates in the Portland Area.

Quote:
Yay, Laura! I love Oregon, too! :

Yeah, I just saw a cyclist wearing a rain poncho on one of those travel shows. I wonder where I could pick one of those up? I bet it would be a whole lot cheaper. I'm getting desperate at this point. I want to ride this afternoon, dammit!

Does anyone know if those are effective enough, or should I hold out for a decent jacket?
Man Hedy. I keep kicking myself cause DH gave a jacket away to goodwill. It was a cheap set he bought off craigs list.. but he tore out the pants. He has a good jacket now and the pants are on back order. But I am sorry I didn't think of giving it to you before he took it to goodwill.
#265 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I love living in Oregon! We actually have specific protocol for registering unattended births. It was a 2 minute phone call this morning to have them mail me the paperwork!
Make sure you check the tiny box on the paperwork for the birth certificate for them to register it with social security. Her SS card will just show up in the mail a little while after you send in the paperwork. Otherwise, you will have to go through all the stuff with the social security office to get a SS#. And they are not nice about dealing with UCs :

Also, I'd recommend calling the vital records office after you send in your papers, and make sure that they send it on over to SS. I checked the box, but their computers had some glitch that wasn't sending the info to SS. I called them, but they said they couldn't re-send the info. It was a huge PITA.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#266 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Well I am wet. I just had to pick all my grapes from the back fence... on the street side. The boys next door were picking them and throwing them at people, and getting them all over the street. It's one thing when people pick them to eat.. but damnit.. don't waste food to throw!

I will be spending tomorrow making jam and maybe juice... I still have the grapes on the inside of the fence.
I hate it when people are wasteful like that, expecially when it was really not theirs to be wasteful with.
Enjoy your jam and juice, that sounds really yummy.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#267 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Well, if this helps at all.. I read somewhere that Happy Valley had one of the highest foreclosure rates in the Portland Area.

i'm sure. they've overbuilt like crazy out there and i'm sure tons of people overextended themselves. but prices are dropping like crazy so there are some good deals to be had. i don't think the price bottom is going to happen for another year or so. happy valley isn't going anywhere though....so this doesn't have to be a high-pressure decision. you can get a lot of stuff thrown in though now that previously they weren't as willing to do (backyard landscaping, AC, etc.). ahhhh AC that would be sweet.

but we keep coming back to....nah. i've noticed a pattern though. after anyone comes to stay we freak out about needing more space. MIL was here for a week and the one bathroom thing just bites. and we end up giving isaac's bed to our guest. but we won't have any visitors for a while so we'll be ok now
#268 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:44 PM

So tired. I'm debating whether or not to drink coffee. I need it, but it could backfire, and I'll be even more miserable. Decisions.

I left my cell phone at home. It's bugging the carp out of me. I don't need to call anyone, mind you...it's just bugging me. I keep feeling around for it.
#269 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i'm sure. they've overbuilt like crazy out there and i'm sure tons of people overextended themselves. but prices are dropping like crazy so there are some good deals to be had. i don't think the price bottom is going to happen for another year or so. happy valley isn't going anywhere though....so this doesn't have to be a high-pressure decision. you can get a lot of stuff thrown in though now that previously they weren't as willing to do (backyard landscaping, AC, etc.). ahhhh AC that would be sweet.

but we keep coming back to....nah. i've noticed a pattern though. after anyone comes to stay we freak out about needing more space. MIL was here for a week and the one bathroom thing just bites. and we end up giving isaac's bed to our guest. but we won't have any visitors for a while so we'll be ok now
Yeah. I hear that. I don't think we are going anywhere for a while. When I think about living here for five years and the house probably really only being worth what we got it for when we decided to purchase, I just want to stay put until things improve, or at least rent it out instead of trying to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
So tired. I'm debating whether or not to drink coffee. I need it, but it could backfire, and I'll be even more miserable. Decisions.

I left my cell phone at home. It's bugging the carp out of me. I don't need to call anyone, mind you...it's just bugging me. I keep feeling around for it.
It's still early enough that the coffee might help. Just chase it with a really big glass of water, or five. I have to do that sometimes when I'm really tired.
#270 of 1618 Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM

So, I got a GIANT bonus zucchini at the CSA last week. And... I can't believe it but I managed to get SIX loaves of zucchini bread out of the damn thing! Yes, just one. It was really huge though. I love free food.

I think I might make some apple bread today.

If I can get at least 4 loaves out of the applesauce I made yesterday, then we will have Saturday morning breakfast taken care of for the next 10 weeks, all from free fruits and veggies! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page