Anyone in Washington with Basic Health or Basic Health Plus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, would you mind answering a few questions? Thanks. How good is the coverage? Are the premiums reasonable? Is it better than private insurance through an employer? How easy was the application process? I just submitted mine online and have a couple of more documents to submit before it gets processed. I jumped on it right now while it was open, and I'm hoping that we get coverage.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
If so, would you mind answering a few questions? Thanks. How good is the coverage? Are the premiums reasonable? Is it better than private insurance through an employer? How easy was the application process? I just submitted mine online and have a couple of more documents to submit before it gets processed. I jumped on it right now while it was open, and I'm hoping that we get coverage.
We are. Coverage is okay. It all varies depending on where you live and what options you have in that area. We pay $105 a month and through DH's work we would pay $400 something. App process was pretty easy all the documentation is a pain in the butt though and you have to do it all over every so often for recertification. Make sure you pick the health plan you really want as you can only change during open enrollment each year. The kids have plus and everything is covered for them no co pays or anything. DH and I just have regular and have to pay co pays, deductibles, etc. THe plan we are currently with does not cover naturopathic or anything like that but we are trying to see if any of the other plans offered in this county do. I am not too hopeful though.

hope that helps.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that does help.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 AM

Yes, I'm on it through Group Health. I pay $17/mo just for coverage for myself, so I really can't complain. It's certainly better than nothing. I think coverage really depends on your area, but I think you live near me? I go to the Lynnwood GH - well, I've only been once, but it's closest to me so I picked a PCP there. You can actually use Group Health's website to pick a PCP and location, see your lab test results, etc. You still don't get full access to everything that you might if you had Group Health through an employer, but it's way more than I was expecting. I didn't find the application process hard, once I finally did it. I think I just sent in 4 check stubs (a month's worth) which had my name & address on it as well.

Then again, I am not married, so that probably made things a little easier (and is the whole reason I qualify for such a cheap plan to begin with). They have a graph somewhere on the website that shows how much your premium should be. I think I had a $15 copay when I went in for a general office visit, and I didn't have to pay anything for blood work.

I think the biggest difference between Basic Health and private coverage is the cost. In most cases this will be much cheaper, but it's true that the coverage isn't so good. I really, really wish that it had dental and vision options.

There was another option other than Group Health in this area, something like Community Health Plan of WA? Something like that. I have no idea what the differences are, though.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you live in Vancouver, whatever you do, do not get Community Health Plan of WA. Seriously. There is one clinic you can go to, and it's so severely understaffed they book appointments 2 months in advance. Anything even slightly more urgent than that, they send you to the ER.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:27 PM

I agree about staying away from community health plan if possible. However, as far as the basic benefits go, like coverage, it will be the same no matter who you choose. Naturopathic is not covered, nor is massage, chiro or the like. Like the name says, it it BASIC. IMO basic health is great if you can't afford a regular health plan and is obviously preferable to going without. Frankly, this is the main reason that DP and are not married. I pay $17 a month for BH and if we were married, I'd be kicked off and have to pay big $$$ for health insurance that I really don't tend to use unless there's an emergency.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 PM

We were on it and when we didn't qualify anymore we really missed it... The coverage was way better than the Blue Cross that we were paying almost $500/ month for.

I guess it really does depend on where you are, because in Lewis County I had Community Health and never had a problem getting a provider or an appointment.

User Tag List