Spookily quiet on the Westside! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sheesh, peeps, no posts in 4 days? What's everybody so busy doing that they don't have time to post?

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#122 of 146 Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Getting Addys haircut into the cutest lil bob ever.
and going crazy.
and hosting my grandmothers 70th bday bash.
and and and.
how bout you?

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#123 of 146 Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM

Here we're trying to prep for Alexia's birthday and Samhain. We're also all getting over the nasty sickies.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#124 of 146 Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Getting Addys haircut into the cutest lil bob ever.
and going crazy.
and hosting my grandmothers 70th bday bash.
and and and.
how bout you?
Wow, you sound busy! OOh, I'll bet Addy is totally adorable with a bob! I gave both my guys haircuts yesterday.
(Yes Arwyn, I buzzed Cameron, sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
Here we're trying to prep for Alexia's birthday and Samhain. We're also all getting over the nasty sickies.
Aw, sorry you guys have been sick!

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#125 of 146 Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM

I've haven't been too chatty lately. Kinda introspective at the moment.

Been cooking and cleaning a lot, though.

And worry(ing) about my kitty She's at the vet, and not sure if she's going to make it. She's staying one more night. Vet called today, and said she's stable (ish), though still not eating. If she can start eating, that'll be a good sign. Hopefully, she'll be ready to come home tomorrow : If not...I don't know...I can't afford to keep her there.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#126 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
What's wrong with your kitty? I'm experienced with sick cats who refuse to eat and look like they're on the brink of death How old is she? Is she getting any treatment from the vet? If you can't afford to keep her there, you could ask them to give you a crash course on sub q fluids and send you home with the supplies. Its by no means FUN, but $30 in supplies (that last a good week) sure beats the daily price of vet stays!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#127 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
What's wrong with your kitty? I'm experienced with sick cats who refuse to eat and look like they're on the brink of death How old is she? Is she getting any treatment from the vet? If you can't afford to keep her there, you could ask them to give you a crash course on sub q fluids and send you home with the supplies. Its by no means FUN, but $30 in supplies (that last a good week) sure beats the daily price of vet stays!
The vet isn't really sure what's wrong. She thinks she may have distemper, but she's not showing all the signs. She is 5 months old. She's there getting IV fluids, antibiotics, and whatever other treatment. The vet talked about doing at-home care, but said she really felt that if she could start eating by tomorrow, she would fare much better at home in our care. So, she's still there tonight.

It wasn't as much as I was thinking it would be so far, she said like $175 and then whatever tonight is. And she said most of the work was already done, with the IV and all, so it wouldn't cost as much. I signed up for Care Credit, so luckily I won't have to pay it all at once.

If I have any questions if/when she comes home, I'll send a PM your way. Thanks

#128 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 AM

Awwww she's just a baby! Isn't there a blood test for distemper? Or maybe I'm mixing that up with feline leuk. Anyway, if you're interested, I know a *really* good holistic vet. Not local, but she does phone consults and ships meds overnight (or you may even be able to just find it at a health food store) Didn't even need to see my cat to cure her literally overnight. I chatted with her, described symptoms/behavior, and the results of all the tests she'd had done. Then I went to her clinic to pick up 2 homeopathics and some flower essences, gave the first dose that night, and she was beginning to perk up by morning, eating within 24 hours. It was amazing. Vets had all but pronounced her dead. And she LOOKED dead. Every couple hours dh or I would go check on her, and look really carefully to see if she was still breathing. I can pm her website if you're interested!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#129 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Awwww she's just a baby! Isn't there a blood test for distemper? Or maybe I'm mixing that up with feline leuk. Anyway, if you're interested, I know a *really* good holistic vet. Not local, but she does phone consults and ships meds overnight (or you may even be able to just find it at a health food store) Didn't even need to see my cat to cure her literally overnight. I chatted with her, described symptoms/behavior, and the results of all the tests she'd had done. Then I went to her clinic to pick up 2 homeopathics and some flower essences, gave the first dose that night, and she was beginning to perk up by morning, eating within 24 hours. It was amazing. Vets had all but pronounced her dead. And she LOOKED dead. Every couple hours dh or I would go check on her, and look really carefully to see if she was still breathing. I can pm her website if you're interested!
I think there is, but it's $$$. She ran a quick blood smear, and she had no white blood cells on the smear, which is a big sign. But she doesn't have any diarrhea, which is the biggest symptom, I believe. So...?

My kitty looked dead, too. It really scared me I've never seen an animal die, so I was all shaky, and crying. I didn't think she meant that much to me.

Sure! If you'd like to send me her info, I would appreciate it. Just waiting for the phone call from the vet right now *bites nails*

#130 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Update on my kitty! I picked her up a couple of hours ago, and she seems to be doing great. Not 100%, but like 75% normal. She's eating, and just a little extra clingy, because of all she's been through. I had to give her a bath, she was really dirty. Kind of irritated about that. But I got out of there under $300, so that's not too bad. I was worried it was going to be like $500.

So, now we just watch her, and make sure she eats. I think she's going to be okay

#131 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Hey all,

Not much time with kids and dinner to make but..... News!

I wanted to ask all of you mamas if any one might know someone that has traveled, lived in, or is from France. Someone that would be willing to connect via email for us to ask questions. I did post on the Europe tribe but only got one post at this point.

Taiger got a job offer for the international cold fusion project that will be built in France. We need to make the decision by next Wednesday! We are having difficulty deciphering if the offer would be enough to live on with him being the only provider for the family. We would specifically be in Manosque, France, about 40 minutes from Aix-en-Provence (that is about one hour from Marseille).

Just putting my feelers out for any possible leads for people to talk with about what it is really like to live in the south of France with regard to the Euro and cost of living

Back to check... Soon
#132 of 146 Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
Update on my kitty! I picked her up a couple of hours ago, and she seems to be doing great. Not 100%, but like 75% normal. She's eating, and just a little extra clingy, because of all she's been through. I had to give her a bath, she was really dirty. Kind of irritated about that. But I got out of there under $300, so that's not too bad. I was worried it was going to be like $500.

So, now we just watch her, and make sure she eats. I think she's going to be okay
about the bath, but : about being better! i'm glad she is back home safe and sound and on the mend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indysmom View Post
Hey all,

I wanted to ask all of you mamas if any one might know someone that has traveled, lived in, or is from France. Someone that would be willing to connect via email for us to ask questions. I did post on the Europe tribe but only got one post at this point.

Taiger got a job offer for the international cold fusion project that will be built in France. We need to make the decision by next Wednesday! We are having difficulty deciphering if the offer would be enough to live on with him being the only provider for the family. We would specifically be in Manosque, France, about 40 minutes from Aix-en-Provence (that is about one hour from Marseille).

Just putting my feelers out for any possible leads for people to talk with about what it is really like to live in the south of France with regard to the Euro and cost of living

Back to check... Soon
omg! thats so exciting! my sisters bff lived in France, not sure where but i will ask her if she would be able to give you tips

#133 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

Yay!!! Glad she's home And yay for eating too! pming you

#134 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 AM

Hi everyone!! Just checking in to see how you all are!

Not a lot of time to just sit anymore....Jonathan is walking!!! : I don't forsee a lot of computer time in my future...

Hope you all are good!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#135 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 AM

omg! wow, walking, thats so exciting!
Niamh is finally starting to get brave enough to take a few unassisted steps, but not often. lol. my girls are chickens

#136 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 AM

That is really exciting Summer! Sorry I don't have any connections to France to help you out with that decision.

Glad your kitty is okay, Nicole!
#137 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Back to check... Soon
i've been to (and liked) that area, but only very briefly and pre-kid. money stuff, i would have no idea, but if you want to know about transport or certain areas, that i might know.
#138 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post

I'm glad she's doing good, I hope she keeps getting better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
Hi everyone!! Just checking in to see how you all are!

Not a lot of time to just sit anymore....Jonathan is walking!!! : I don't forsee a lot of computer time in my future...

Hope you all are good!
I was just thinking the other day I hadn't seen you post in a while. How exciting that he's walking, but I'll bet you are one seriously busy mama these days!

So what are y'all doing for Halloween? Are there any fun events around that we could take Cameron to? He's a bit young for trick or treating this year, but I'd like to do something fun, ya know?

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#139 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronsMama View Post
So what are y'all doing for Halloween? Are there any fun events around that we could take Cameron to? He's a bit young for trick or treating this year, but I'd like to do something fun, ya know?
Not sure how old Cameron is but my Jake is almost 2.5 and Multnomah Village has their shops open from 3:30-5:30 for trick or treating, so we're going to have him do that.
#140 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM

We always take the kids to the Sunset Esplanade. There's a lot of kids, but it's fun for them. The kids have gone every year since Alexia was 1. Her birthday is the day before Halloween.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#141 of 146 Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Gary and Brisen are probably going to go to the zoo on Saturday (I'll be in an all day class). Claudia said they have a kind of stamp/trick or treat type thingie.

Halloween is arguably my favorite holiday, and it's on a Friday this year, which is just super cool, but I'm feeling totally "meh" on the subject. Maybe because 99% of what gets handed out trick or treating gives me migraines and ethical twinges.
#142 of 146 Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
We always take the kids to the Sunset Esplanade. There's a lot of kids, but it's fun for them. The kids have gone every year since Alexia was 1. Her birthday is the day before Halloween.
That's pretty darn close to us, can you tell me more? What kinds of stuff do they have going on for the kids there?

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#143 of 146 Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM

ok, so we have to get Brownies rabies shots, i am still up in the air about the other shots, anyone want to weigh in on that for me? and anyone have a great vet to reccomend?

#144 of 146 Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM

children's museum has something for halloween, but we have never been to it.

so lee farms... yah, this year, it looks real worn- the free pumpkins we got were all small and so few to choose from. the people were all nice tho.
#145 of 146 Old 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Back to check... Soon
Wow, what does your husband do? That sounds exciting! Is this a long term thing? I lived in Luxembourg for high school so I can't tell you what it's like right now, but I thought it was just the coolest place to grow up. Is there an English speaking school there or will they go to an American school? We went to an American school, but your kids are a lot younger than we were so you could put them in the local schools and they will grow up speaking French practically as a first language. And you get such a larger sense of history living in Europe, we used to go visit castles from the Middle Ages on the weekends with my family or for school field trips.

My dad worked for DuPont and we got like a 15% cost of living allowance above what he was making in the US plus they helped us out with the rent because the groceries, rent, etc., are a lot more expensive than here. But your health care will be free, right? You're not in Paris or another big city so it will be somewhat cheaper, personally I would be willing to really scrounge to give my kids an opportunity like that.

Are there any people already there working on the project, or do they have someone to help with the relocation? Maybe you can try to get in touch with someone there and they can give you an idea of what things cost, what the area is like, etc. Will you get to go visit before you go to find a house, etc.? Hope it all works out, that sounds really exciting!
#146 of 146 Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
children's museum has something for halloween, but we have never been to it.

so lee farms... yah, this year, it looks real worn- the free pumpkins we got were all small and so few to choose from. the people were all nice tho.
yeah I was a little disappointed with the pumpkins as well, but then I picked up one of the cheesewheel pumpkins that someone left on the hay ride and traded it for mine.

We are going to Baby loves Disco tomorrow, they are having a Halloween party so we will dress up and boogie down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbound View Post
Wow, what does your husband do? That sounds exciting! Is this a long term thing? I lived in Luxembourg for high school so I can't tell you what it's like right now, but I thought it was just the coolest place to grow up. Is there an English speaking school there or will they go to an American school? We went to an American school, but your kids are a lot younger than we were so you could put them in the local schools and they will grow up speaking French practically as a first language. And you get such a larger sense of history living in Europe, we used to go visit castles from the Middle Ages on the weekends with my family or for school field trips.

My dad worked for DuPont and we got like a 15% cost of living allowance above what he was making in the US plus they helped us out with the rent because the groceries, rent, etc., are a lot more expensive than here. But your health care will be free, right? You're not in Paris or another big city so it will be somewhat cheaper, personally I would be willing to really scrounge to give my kids an opportunity like that.

Are there any people already there working on the project, or do they have someone to help with the relocation? Maybe you can try to get in touch with someone there and they can give you an idea of what things cost, what the area is like, etc. Will you get to go visit before you go to find a house, etc.? Hope it all works out, that sounds really exciting!
It does sound like it's probably a really small town, so if that will freak you out, I guess you've got to consider that... my inlaws know some people in France, I can see if they know anything about that part...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page