Chehalis/Centralia mamas, are you out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am moving to Toledo Wa, which is near Chehalis/Centralia, an hour away from Olympia. Anyone else out that way? I spent a few months out there and was just having a terrible time finding anything. I am looking for a good healthfood store, no vax friendly ped, a consignment shop for kids clothing and toys, and really some mamas to hang out with!

Partner to DPshamrocksmile.gif SAHM to DS(8)guitar.gif, DD (4)blahblah.gif, and DD (oct 12) babyf.gifcountry livin', baby-led weaning, homeschooling, co-sleeping family
#2 of 24 Old 11-01-2008, 02:40 AM

Let me go track a few gals down - I know of at least two in that general area. I have family in Evaline/Napavine, and spent many fun summer vacations out there. My mom even taught at the Toledo High School for years and we knew the folks of Shakertown (I think that was the name).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 24 Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 AM

I live in Centralia...

there's a health food store here but it's really pricey. I do alot of shopping at the Olympia Coop and try and hit places like Costco and Trader Joes (Oly and Tacoma) once a month or so. You should be able to find local meat and meat down that way. My neighbor just bought a 1/4 of a cow from a 4-H kid.

I don't really get that far south too often so I'm not sure what Toledo has to offer. My neighbor teaches at the high school there and that's all I know, lol. You might want to check out the Longview/Kelso area???

Not sure about peds either, we don't do yearly visits.

Gosh, I'm sorry I'm not more help.

~Paige
#4 of 24 Old 11-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean View Post
I am moving to Toledo Wa, which is near Chehalis/Centralia, an hour away from Olympia. Anyone else out that way? I spent a few months out there and was just having a terrible time finding anything. I am looking for a good healthfood store, no vax friendly ped, a consignment shop for kids clothing and toys, and really some mamas to hang out with!
Hi. We're in Centralia. I don't know much about Toledo at all, but maybe I can help with some questions anyway...

There was a small HFS in Chehalis, but it recently went out of business. The one is Centralia is overpriced, but I go there when I need something quickly or refuse to drive to Oly sooner than I should. Shop*n*Kart/Yardbirds really does have the largest selection of natural foods and maybe even supplements around here.

There are two consignment shops around here that I know of, one in Centralia on Main and one on the main strip in Chehalis. The one in Centralia is better, I think. I've bought some baby gear there in the past year and the new owner is very nice.

Good places to find mamas, babies, and kids... Library! They're running story hour through November. There are several different groups, but right now we only do Book Babies on Thursdays. (I have an almost 13 year old boy, a 6 year old girl, and a 6 month old baby boy.) If you check the Centralia Timberland website, you can get alerts for events from there and view the calendar. Santa Lucia coffee shop. There seems to always be mamas and kids in there. Very bf'ing friendly and kid-friendly. The owner is a doula. They have some moms groups that meet there as well.

Hope that helps! You can email me when you get settled or if you have more questions at avalek0428@msn.com.

Good luck on your move!
#5 of 24 Old 11-01-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so much for the info and it is really nice to know that there are some more mamas out there! I mean, I just didn't find or connect with anyone during my stay.

As for the cattle...we actually have a cow farm. All the cows run around a bunch of land (well, his parents do all the cow work), and we bought our cow very local.

I will try the library and that coffee shop too! thanks again, it really brightens things you know?

Partner to DPshamrocksmile.gif SAHM to DS(8)guitar.gif, DD (4)blahblah.gif, and DD (oct 12) babyf.gifcountry livin', baby-led weaning, homeschooling, co-sleeping family
#6 of 24 Old 11-01-2008, 09:24 PM

I know exactly what you mean! It's a fine enough place to live once you get used to it. We moved from New Orleans two years ago. It's taken close to that long for us to get comfortable here, but we're feeling pretty good about it now.

I meant to say earlier about the ped, we have seen a family doctor here in Centralia and he's been fine. I like being acquainted with someone in case of emergencies, so we do annual visits with him. We've seen someone in Oly, at Oly Peds, for the baby, but that was right after he was born. I don't know about vax issues, but the dr there seemed really receptive to whatever we wanted to decide about anything. I'll give you her name if you like. We're not doing any vaxes with baby ds until after he's a year and then selectively, so if you find someone in the mean time, that you like, please let me know! I've six months left to decide on that, but the clock is ticking... If I don't find someone else beforehand that is pro delayed vax, we'll just go back to Oly ped.

Hope that helps in your search... I'd like to hear if you find a provider you like.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
#7 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 02:24 AM

Oh, I forgot about the library system there! It kicked serious rear end a decade ago, and I still get ILL's from Timberland every once in a while (I request an awful lot of books that my local system doesn't have).

Is Yardbirds back again? I loved that place growing up but I thought they'd finally given up. And Shop*n*Kart is where my grandma shopped with her fist full of coupons.

#8 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Shop*n*Kart is the Yardbird's building... Was it somewhere else before? Now I know where you get your skills from!

We have really used the library a lot this year. The programs have been nice and they've even expanded the dates on a few of those that are going on right now. I can usually get what I'm looking for quickly, even if I have to wait list it. I can't wait to see the inside of the new Chehalis library!
#9 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ATenthMuse~ View Post
Shop*n*Kart is the Yardbird's building... Was it somewhere else before? Now I know where you get your skills from!
Oh, you just got my hopes up that Yardbirds was back - it took up the entire building (and does Shop*n*Kart still take up just half of it?). It was a fabulous catch-all store - kinda like a Sprouse Reitz/Kmart/Gart Sports/Michael's all rolled into one. We'd go look at shoes for us, new coveralls for Grandpa, and jewelry beads for my sister and I in one fell swoop. It was heartbreaking when they closed the final time. Right around when Walmart or Kmart came in, too. *sigh*

Oh, OP ~ There's a good sporting-goods type store down in Longview called Dick's. They used to have really good back-to-school sales, have decent clothes, used to have a great selection of shoes, and even some heavy duty apparel like for farming and such. We used to buy shoes down there all the time.

#10 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Atenthmuse, oooh I would love the name of the dr you saw, anything helps really. I will talk to the midwife I am using and see if she knows of anyone too!

Imonter, I will have to check out that place in Longview...I went to the kelso/longview area once or twice. I was really excited they had a Red Lobster :

I went to Yardbirds. I really liked it, HUGE store! But when I went to the register I just stood there wondering where the bagger was, and then the checker and I were just staring at each other awkwardly until it finally clicked that I was going to be bagging my own groceries. The checker saw my feeble attempt and felt sorry for me I guess because she came around and started helping me

#11 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 PM

That is too funny, Lanna! It is huge! And the store was cleaned up after the flood and recently painted, so it's much better in there than the first time I went in... I haven't been in the rest of the "mall" part though, just the grocery part. How about Sunbirds though??? I Sunbirds.

Jojo, I enjoyed Red Lobster down there when I was pregnant, too. Bagging my own groceries, I'm cool with it, so long as someone warns me... I had that deer in headlights look my first time there, too.

Gotta run,

Angela
#12 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
That is too funny, Lanna! It is huge! And the store was cleaned up after the flood and recently painted, so it's much better in there than the first time I went in... I haven't been in the rest of the "mall" part though, just the grocery part. How about Sunbirds though??? I Sunbirds.
Oh shoot. Sunbirds sounds so darned familiar, but I can't place it. For some reason all I'm coming up with is that big red L-shaped building that used to house a nun-run thrift store in half and was like another Tri-State or Yardbirds in the other half, but they kept getting flooded and finally gave up.

I still have fond memories of driving past the mint processing plant/factory and Grandpa always mentioning how good it smelled every single time we drove past. Geez, maybe I need to see about camping out on my cousin's lawn at some point here, it's been years and two kids since we'd gotten down south there (my sister's up in Seattle, so no need to drive further south usually).

I can totally picture the streets everything I'm thinking of were/are on, but I never learned the street names - I just followed the same roads my parents and grandparents did.

#13 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Lanna, heading south away from Yardbirds, Sunbirds would be about a 1/2 mile up, on the right.

They did flood back in 95/96 (???) and lots of people thought they wouldn't come back and they did.....same thing this last flood, lotsa of people thought they wouldn't bother, but thankfully they did. My kids love going in there and getting free popcorn!!
#14 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Oh shoot. Sunbirds sounds so darned familiar, but I can't place it. For some reason all I'm coming up with is that big red L-shaped building that used to house a nun-run thrift store in half and was like another Tri-State or Yardbirds in the other half, but they kept getting flooded and finally gave up.

I still have fond memories of driving past the mint processing plant/factory and Grandpa always mentioning how good it smelled every single time we drove past. Geez, maybe I need to see about camping out on my cousin's lawn at some point here, it's been years and two kids since we'd gotten down south there (my sister's up in Seattle, so no need to drive further south usually).

I can totally picture the streets everything I'm thinking of were/are on, but I never learned the street names - I just followed the same roads my parents and grandparents did.
I just got home from down that way... Could smell the mint this morning! Lol.

I really hope it doesn't flood here this year... With the way things are right now, some of the good little place might not be able to come back from another one.

You should come out! We could actually do an LC camping trip.
#15 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLC View Post
Lanna, heading south away from Yardbirds, Sunbirds would be about a 1/2 mile up, on the right.

They did flood back in 95/96 (???) and lots of people thought they wouldn't come back and they did.....same thing this last flood, lotsa of people thought they wouldn't bother, but thankfully they did. My kids love going in there and getting free popcorn!!
So it is the 2-story L-shaped building there on the right just as the one-ways merge back together? And here I thought the kids were making me stupid... Or was it a low one-story rectangle with a huge parking lot in the front?

And don't worry, if we get over there, you guys'll be on my to-notify list. Even if we end up finding a kid-free Starbucks for a little while (I'm sure Starbucks has gotten their claws in down there already, right?).

#16 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Lanna, we 3 Starbucks tyvw

yep that's the building, Sunbirds is still there.

Yardbirds, outside of Shop N Cart before the flood was a really trashy swap meet set up. Now it may be mostly empty, I know weight watchers meets there, and the theatre is back up and running but I'm not sure of much else. Honestly that place gives me the heebie jeebies and I ty and stay away
#17 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Yeah, it was kinda scary when random little carts/stores popped up there even way back before it started getting even more run-down looking inside. Even when I had my grandparents and sister with me. Is the bird still there? Between that and the world's largest egg in Winlock, I came back to school with a vacation story nobody else had.

And yay that I'm not losing my mind! I really can find things, even if I have to do a few U-turns to get there.

#18 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM

the bird is still there....it was quite a sight when it was flooded.
#19 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
the bird is still there....it was quite a sight when it was flooded.
Was it a floating bird or a drowning bird at the time?

#20 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM

I was leaving Starbucks this morning when I smelled the mint.

The whole Yardbird's center attracts some weird ones, but I try to stay in my little bubble.
#21 of 24 Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I was leaving Starbucks this morning when I smelled the mint.

The whole Yardbird's center attracts some weird ones, but I try to stay in my little bubble.
that whole south side, where the RV "park" is.....<shudder>, I've started driving up to the road where El Patron is and cutting over that way to go to the bank.

and Lanna, he was "floating", I looked for a pic for you but I couldn't find one.
#22 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
that whole south side, where the RV "park" is.....<shudder>, I've started driving up to the road where El Patron is and cutting over that way to go to the bank.

and Lanna, he was "floating", I looked for a pic for you but I couldn't find one.

That wooded area, too... If the creeps don't get ya, the speed bumps from hell will!
#23 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Just popping on to say that I lived in Toledo when I was a kid. Probably has changed quite a bit. I know a family outside Longview--is that too far?

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#24 of 24 Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

You ladies were right, the libraries out here are a great resource.  The ped we chose is Dr Ayoub in Castle Rock.  She is from Germany and is non-vax friendly.  She is really awesome.  

We have been out here almost 6 years now.  Loving it.  We actually moved out to Morton, but go up to Chehalis for "big" town trips.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page