Chicken Pox exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, looking for some general information and some ideas...

My dd (7) was exposed to pox last Monday. I count this coming Friday as the first day she'd likely be contagious, or is the first day we might actually see pox? We homeschool aside from the 4 classes she takes at our local "choice school". She takes two classes on Wed and two on Thursday. Three of the four are electives, but I still hate to have her miss any, especially since she may have to miss them the following week.

Do I allow her to go to classes this week and skip next week, even if she shows no signs? I don't know what the right protocal is. I imagine if I asked the school they just might tell me not to come in, I'm afraid to ask. Plenty of kids still get exposed and they don't even know it, going about their regular business until they get sick. She also have gymnastics/dance on Tue and Thursdays.

I've heard it can take anywhere from 10-21 days to incubate. Talk about frustration in waiting. We exposed her both last Monday the 3rd and the 5th to different kids that had it.
#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 PM

That's a tough one. She would be contagious about 2 days before the rash appears and for 3-5 days after. The school likely has a rule that kids with cp cannot attend until all blisters are crusted over. So the ethical question is whether or not to send her when you know she has it. Except you don't really know until the rash appears. If it were me, I would send my child to school until a rash appeared. However, knowing she was exposed I would just have her be diligent about handwashing and sharing drinks, food etc. Don't ask or they'll make you keep her home when she may not have it.

If she gets it, would you be willing to share?!

T
#3 of 4 Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and asked the school last Wednesday. They weren't sure in the office so they called someone else, I am assuming in the district, and they said she could come to school until she showed signs of pox. I thought that was great.

She got them yesterday (Sunday) so it's her second day with spots. She had about 5-6 at bedtime and about 20 today, in varying stages of coming in.

If anyone would like to come over Tuesday or Wed feel free to email me at kittycrack2 at yahoo and we can try and make arrangements. We are on the Eastside (Kirkland)
#4 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I know nothing about timing of chicken pox but was wondering if she's still contagious or if i missed the boat? Or if it is too late if you know of anyone else who may have it???

thanks so much,
marcy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page