--
      7%
        --
          36%
            57%
              14 Review(s)
              Reviews
                11-17-2010, 01:44 AM by harryjone

One of the very few stipulations my wife made after we learned we were going to have a child is that I read this book by the doyenne of natural childbirth in the U.S. While the tone of the book is much too touchy-feely/hippyish for me, I have to admit that it is well worth reading regardless of whether you're planning a natural childbirth or a fully tech'ed out hospital one. That said, it would be very easy to read it as gospel and get swept up in its giddy repudiation of modern ...

11-17-2010, 08:39 AM by nikity

I love this book and have recommended it to every pregnant woman I know.  My husband also read most of it while I was pregnant.  And we did end up with a smooth natural birth.  

I found two things particularly helpful.  

1.  All of the birth stories in the front of the book are great for getting you into a positive state of mind about birth.  They're not all perfect, blissed out births (though maybe most are), but you will walk away from reading them f...

11-22-2010, 01:05 AM by DreadyMama916
                    Aside from my doula, this was the most indisposable wealth of information that I found during my pregnancy. Ina May is an amazing woman, a down-to-earth writer, and an inspiration for pregnant women. With the information in this book, I was aided in having an amazing labor and completely natural birth, exactly what I had hoped for. Throughout my pregnancy I worked in a book store, where I reccomended this book to every pregnant women whom I spoke with. Excellent book!
                      11-23-2010, 07:05 AM by P.J.

I loved this book for all the reasons you'll read in the other raving reviews. However, I feel it's wise to keep in mind that Ina May is like THE goddess of midwifery, and her results and experiences are not representative of what realistically every woman can expect -even with the best of intentions and the best midwife you can find.

I had visualized the perfect natural home birth a la Ina May, but the universe had other plans for us. I ended up in hospital with a cesarean,...

11-28-2010, 04:00 PM by Funny Face

I loved reading this book while pregnant. It's an easy read and starts with the birth stories. Even though there was a lot of focus on the midwives themselves it seemed it was a chance to steep myself in some birth imagery and visualize what my birth might be like. I'm reading it again this pregnancy.

I was not a fan of Spiritual Midwifery but this one I loved.

<<-Show More->>
                        Related Conversations
                        There are no related topics.
                        Members
                        No members have owned this product.
                        Details
                        Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Description: What you need to know to have the best birth experience for you.Drawing upon her thirty-plus years of experience, Ina May Gaskin, the nation’s leading midwife, shares the benefits and joys of natural childbirth by showing women how to trust in the ancient wisdom of their bodies for a healthy and fulfilling birthing experience. Based on the female-centered Midwifery Model of Care, Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth gives expectant mothers comprehensive information on everything from the all-important mind-body connection to how to give birth without technological intervention. Filled with inspiring birth stories and practical advice, this invaluable resource includes:• Reducing the pain of labor without drugs--and the miraculous roles touch and massage play• What really happens during labor• Orgasmic birth--making birth pleasurable • Episiotomy--is it really necessary? • Common methods of inducing labor--and which to avoid at all costs• Tips for maximizing your chances of an unmedicated labor and birth• How to avoid postpartum bleeding--and depression • The risks of anesthesia and cesareans--what your doctor doesn’t necessarily tell you• The best ways to work with doctors and/or birth care providers• How to create a safe, comfortable environment for birth in any setting, including a hospital• And much moreIna May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth takes the fear out of childbirth by restoring women’s faith in their own natural power to give birth with more ease, less pain, and less medical intervention.

Details:

Detail Value
                        Author Ina May Gaskin
                        Binding Paperback
                        Dewey Decimal Number 618.45
                        EAN 9780553381153
                        Edition 1
                        Feature Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! BUY WITH CONFIDENCE, Over one million books sold! 98% Positive feedback. Compare our books, prices and service to the competition. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
                        ISBN 0553381156
                        Label Bantam
                        Languages English
                        List Price $18.00
                        Manufacturer Bantam
                        Number Of Items 1
                        Number Of Pages 368
                        Product Group Book
                        Product Type Name ABIS_BOOK
                        Publication Date 2003-03-04
                        Publisher Bantam
                        Studio Bantam