Viewing Review: My favorite parenting book - Mothering Forums
My favorite parenting book Edit
by Carlyle Combined Rating: 5.0

This is my favorite parenting book for helping new parents (me!) learn how to parent!  It gives background about why your child is acting a certain way (developmentally), and gives concrete...
Pros Cons
  • Balanced (no "this is the right/only way"), examples use diverse families, gentle/respectful approach to parenting, bulleted suggestions made easy rea
  • Their "toileting" section doesn't include any mention of elimination communication

This is my favorite parenting book for helping new parents (me!) learn how to parent!  It gives background about why your child is acting a certain way (developmentally), and gives concrete suggestions of ways to deal with each behavior.  It's a book with a broad scope that touches on many issues, but managed to go into enough detail for me to get an idea of how I wanted to deal with many of the difficult behaviors that my daughter comes up with (hitting, crying, whining, lying, etc).  It's very well written and organized--making it a great read and also a great reference (I plowed through it easily while I was nursing my daughter, but I refer to it on a regular basis when behaviors come up).  I also liked the fact that all of the example stories in the book came from real families and showed a great deal of diversity in terms of race, parents' genders, single parents, economic standing, etc. Great book!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: