Viewing Review: A must for pregnant women and their partners - Mothering Forums

A must for pregnant women and their partners Edit
by nikity Combined Rating: 4.0

I love this book and have recommended it to every pregnant woman I know.  My husband also read most of it while I was pregnant.  And we did end up with a smooth natural birth.  

I found two...
Pros Cons
  • Contains info I haven't see anywhere else
  • Probably a little crunchy for some...

I love this book and have recommended it to every pregnant woman I know.  My husband also read most of it while I was pregnant.  And we did end up with a smooth natural birth.  

I found two things particularly helpful.  

1.  All of the birth stories in the front of the book are great for getting you into a positive state of mind about birth.  They're not all perfect, blissed out births (though maybe most are), but you will walk away from reading them feeling like you CAN do this.  Ask a random woman on the street about her birth experience and, unfortunately, you're probably going to hear some kind of rough story.  C-section rates are wildly high in most hospitals, births are treated like medical problems, blah blah blah...so OF COURSE most stories you hear are negative.  It is so important to read and hear positive stories and this book can provide them.

2.  The chapter on sphincter law is something every pregnant woman should read.  Ina May has put together some info there that is fascinating and makes sense on an intuitive level even before you give birth and put it into action. 

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
sjdragonfly 11-30-2011, 10:39 AM

My naturopath recommended this book for me. I have it at home but haven't started reading it yet. So happy to hear it's such a great one!

majoie 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM

What is sphincter law? (I'm helping raise 4yo twin boys, but at 61yo I'm certainly not likely to be giving birth again.)

cynthia mosher 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Right on! Ina May rocks and I would give anything to have had my births with her!

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: