Viewing Review: Basic Ideas; A Tad Judgemental - Mothering Forums

Basic Ideas; A Tad Judgemental Edit
by Partaria Combined Rating: 3.0

This book strongly advocates for attachment parenting practices. In that vein, it's a wonderful read. The author is very convincing, gives concrete examples on how to implement attachment...
Pros Cons
  • Well-written, Attachment Parenting Advice
  • Judgemental, Can be Hyperbolic

This book strongly advocates for attachment parenting practices. In that vein, it's a wonderful read. The author is very convincing, gives concrete examples on how to implement attachment parenting methods, and touches on the long-term results of attachment parenting.

That said, I was a bit turned off at times with how the author seemed to leap to conclusions about the futures of children who do not receive letter-perfect attachment parenting. For example, in one passage in the book, the author gives the example of a parent who exiles a toddler from the family bed before the child is ready, saying that the child can comfort himself alone in his room with a brand new teddy bear. Under a heading of "long-term effects" the author describes a conversation twenty years later, in which the parent is angry with the child for using a shopping addiction to cope with a recent romantic break-up.

While I do agree with the author's sound arguments on the benefits of sleeping with your child, I felt that this long-term effect was pretty speculative on the author's part. I see the connection between teaching kids to comfort themselves with an object (the teddy bear) and the way adult shopping addictions work, but it all seemed a bit hyperbolic to me. The author's arguments for the benefits of co sleeping (as opposed to the dire warnings of what happens to those who don't) were much more convincing and sound.

Several passages in the book make these sorts of big claims about the clouded fortunes of children who aren't parented just so, and as I said, they are the less convincing and somewhat judgmental passages of the book. But the rest of it, which covers the known benefits of attachment parenting is convincing and enlightening.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
summatime 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM

I agree with your review.  I liked the book but found myself deciding to take some of the author's concepts and lose some of her other, more extreme ideals.  The judgmental passages definitely put a sour taste in my mouth, but not enough for me to stop reading the book.  Overall, I gained a lot of great ideas from this book and hope to use them in my future life as a parent.

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: