Viewing Review: Ugh - it was a disaster for me - Mothering Forums
Ugh - it was a disaster for me Edit
by PsycheGal Combined Rating: 2.3

I got my first medela manual pump as a gift from my midwife back in 2005 and recieved another one as a gift after I had my second baby in 2007.  Both times it was a disaster.  

First off,...
Pros Cons
  • light weight I guess
  • I wouldn't suggest it for anyone with a C cup or higher

I got my first medela manual pump as a gift from my midwife back in 2005 and recieved another one as a gift after I had my second baby in 2007.  Both times it was a disaster.  

First off, the cone/funnel is too small for a larger breast, even when you take off the cover -- it says it's adjustable for larger and smaller breasts but mine only adjusted DOWN with little inserts and I really needed it to adjust UP!  The circumference was just not wide enough to support enough of my breast.

This pump caused a lot of pain for me, the few times I got it to "kind of work" it would only do so for a few minutes and either the valve would poof out of place or my boob would slip out of it LOL  

Not to mention it cause severe pain.  Did I say that already? 

I know a lot of people swear by medela, I am not one of them.  This was always the most "highly" recommended product for me and it was always the worst.  I know the brand is very popular and it might work well for some, but I just want you not to be mislead and spend a ton of money on an electric medela and find out it doesn't work for you either.  Try the manual pump first before you make a larger investment!  

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
StevensMommy 09-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I love my Harmony! I got mine from the hospital when I had my son, and I was a little skeptical about a manual pump (I was a DD when my milk came in and my right side is an over producer). It's all in the way you hold the boob, hand expression at the same time as you pump is critical otherwise it takes FOREVER. You need the soft cone though, the hard one is horrid.

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: