Viewing Review: A must read for any parent - Mothering Forums

A must read for any parent Edit
by consciousparent Combined Rating: 5.0

When I started reading this book, I immediately thought “Thank you Dr. Palmer!”  As a mother of a daughter, I practiced attachment parenting not because it was something I read about, but...
Pros Cons
  • factual and not too technical, a great resource to make informed decisions

When I started reading this book, I immediately thought “Thank you Dr. Palmer!”  As a mother of a daughter, I practiced attachment parenting not because it was something I read about, but because it was my natural instinct.  This book is a fantastic compilation of the science behind this instinct, and how varying parenting practices affect babies on a physical as well as emotional level. 

I now know why my attachment parenting practices (breastfeeding, cosleeping, nurturing) was beneficial for not only my daughter, but for my own health. 

For example, when I breastfed my daughter for 3 years, I’d get warnings from many people that she was going to become “too attached” to her mom.  In fact, it’s just the opposite.  Because of this book, I now realize the scientific reasons why my little one is well grounded and secure.

I have read many books that speak to the science behind various practices, but are too technical.  Dr. Palmer does a fantastic job of presenting the science without making it too complicated, but at the same time, gives the references for those readers who like technical detail.

This is the type of book to have on hand and keep referring to as things come up.  Read it through the first time, and then use it as a reference after the fact.  I know I want to give this book to everyone I know who is about to have a baby. 

While I believe each parent should do what they feel is best for their child, and their family (cosleeping versus crib, breastfeeding versus formula, responding versus cry it out, etc.), regardless of what path they choose, they should have all the facts first.  This book presents the facts, so that parents can make informed decisions for their family.  It would be a shame to not have this information, and to realize later that you wish you had read this first.

As a clinical nutritionist, I was thrilled to see the detailed and thorough research done in this book on creating the ultimate foundation for health.  Too often I see parents come into my office with their children when they are older with certain health and behavioral issues, many of which could be prevented with applying the information in this book.   I wish all my clients would read this before having children, to give their kids the best chance for ultimate health.  Kudos Dr. Palmer!!!

Erika McDaniel

Founder

http://www.consciousparents.org

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: