Viewing Review: A fabulous book about the realities of parenting traumatized children - Mothering Forums

A fabulous book about the realities of parenting traumatized children Edit
by lauren Combined Rating: 4.0

Carolyn Nash asked me to review this and she let me have a copy to read.  I was happy to do so.

You will read many other reviews on Amazon and Kirkus that stress what an important and...
Pros Cons
  • Short read and so much wisdom packed within
  • Can't put it down and there is much else to do!

Carolyn Nash asked me to review this and she let me have a copy to read.  I was happy to do so.

You will read many other reviews on Amazon and Kirkus that stress what an important and accurate book this is, and especially so for foster and adoptive parents. I totally agree. This book is exceptional not only because it outlines just how difficult it is to recover from early childhood trauma, but that it takes an extraordinary parent to raise a traumatized child well. The author worked just as hard as her child. She intuitively knew that parenting was an 'inside-out' job. As parents, we must learn from our children and heal ourselves as we seek to help our children. Carolyn Nash did so many things right.

The book is a terrific read for any one considering foster or adoptive parenting. Not every child will handle things as this child did--some will be more resilient, some will be less. But the love and empathy that the author was able to keep hold of for her dear son, is absolutely exemplary and worthy of everyone's attention. I recommend this book highly!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: