Viewing Review: Find the heart of your writing as a mother - Mothering Forums

Find the heart of your writing as a mother Edit
by mama_y_sol Combined Rating: 5.0

Long before I had kids, I used to sit in coffee shops and write.  It was easy and natural.  Since having kids, I have gotten away from writing.  This book is helping to bring me back. I highly...
Pros Cons
  • well written, inspiring and motivating writing exercises

Long before I had kids, I used to sit in coffee shops and write.  It was easy and natural.  Since having kids, I have gotten away from writing.  This book is helping to bring me back. I highly recommend it.  

I love "Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers."  It is an inspiring book encouraging mothers to write about their experiences and emotions.  Author Kate Hopper writes that motherhood "is a time of transition and sometimes a period of intense identity struggle."  This book is full of writing exercises that will help you connect your mothering experiences with something larger.  

Use Your Words is full of writing advice, and each chapter has honest, well written published pieces on motherhood.  The author presents these written pieces, then explains their strengths and encourages you to do a writing exercise practicing the strengths.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the published essays on motherhood, then jumping into writing my own piece.  I found I would easily spend 15-20 minutes writing after being guided by the exercises.  

I appreciate that this book is well written and easy to follow.  It makes the self discovery that comes from writing easy.  I think this book is great for mothers who have never written before, as well as people like me, who used to write but have gotten away from it and need a refresher.  It is an inspiring and motivating book that is almost like a writing class in your home.  

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: