Viewing Review: One of my favorites to read aloud. - Mothering Forums

One of my favorites to read aloud. Edit
by Yuba_River Combined Rating: 5.0

We bought this as a Christmas gift for our younger son when he was just a month old, and over the last two years have read it to both our boys many times. It's always a testament to a book when...
Pros Cons
  • Beautifully written and illustrated!

We bought this as a Christmas gift for our younger son when he was just a month old, and over the last two years have read it to both our boys many times. It's always a testament to a book when I'm happy to read it again after so many repetitions, and this one has passed that test. The illustrations are gorgeous, dreamy, and filled with interesting details that make them fun to pore over. Best of all, though, is the writing. So much children's book writing is awkward, bland or contrived feeling, but this is none of those. The lyrical, poetic text is well-suited to being read aloud, and would stand alone as a poem without the support of the illustrations:  "We tiptoed through grass where the nightcrawlers creep, when the rust-bellied robins have all gone sleep."

While both my sons, 2 and 5, love this story, my five year old especially enjoys the non-fiction pages at the end, titled "The Mysterious Moon," which gives facts and lore about the moon, and "The World at Night," which shares a bit more about some of the creatures shown in the book.

Highly recommended!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
qu0thraven 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I concur! This is a favorite in our home too, for all the reasons that you mention. My daughter (I think she got it as a young 4 y.o.) loves this book and the facts in the back. My older (now almost 8 y.o.) son enjoys still it occasionally too.

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: