Viewing Review: Fascinating, Thought Provoking Book About Breasts - Mothering Forums

Fascinating, Thought Provoking Book About Breasts Edit
by mama_y_sol Combined Rating: 5.0

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History.  This book is extremely informative and well written.  I love the humorous and witty writing style.  The author made me...
Pros Cons
  • witty, well written, humorous, interesting

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History.  This book is extremely informative and well written.  I love the humorous and witty writing style.  The author made me laugh out loud a few times.  She writes "Spiny anteaters and platypuses, rare egg-laying mammals, have no nipples, but they "sweat" milk to the puggle in their pouches through special glands.  I don't know what a puggle is, but I want one."

The author really writes in a way you can connect the information to real life.  It's really an enjoyable read, plus I feel like I learned so much in terms of history and anatomy.  

I found the breastfeeding and history of breast implants sections utterly fascinating.  The section on toxins found in breastmilk was disturbing, but also eye opening.  Even if you don't think this book sounds like your kind of book, it really does have a way of drawing you in.  

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
mama_y_sol 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM

1love4ever, I'd like my husband to read this book too. I think she does favor some more alternative views- for example she talk about how important breastfeeding is in terms of providing beneficial bacteria to the infant's gut. And even though she discovered toxins in her breastmilk, she still seems to support breastfeeding. I think there is also a spectrum of alternative views, and while this book doesn't fall on the "extremely alternative" side, I'd say it does offer some alternative viewpoints for sure. I think her concern over toxins in our environment help put her on the more alternative side.
It does not really delve into breasts being viewed as perverted and the history behind that. One of the first chapters talks about why men are attracted to breasts and how that might have evolved.

andaluza 10-27-2012, 02:41 PM

I heard a great interview with the author on The People's Pharmacy and the podcast is still available in itunes (#875). That should give you a sense of the writer's inclinations.

1love4ever 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Hey this book looks really good, I want to get it for my husband for Christmas as a joke then read it myself lol. But I was wondering is it like a pro medical book, or does it favor more alternative views? Does it have anything about how breasts (and breastfeeding) have got to the point of being viewed as perverted (but they are NOT!) and the history behind that?
Thanks

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: