Viewing Review: Responsible doctor - Mothering Forums
Responsible doctor Edit
by applejuice Combined Rating: 5.0

Dr. Mendelsohn had an enviable curriculum vitae; it includes being a practicing pediatrician for 40 yrs, expert witness, writer, professor of medical ethics, and medical advisor for LLLI; he knew...
Pros Cons
  • Dr. Mendelsohn was a practicing, dues paying member of the AMA for over 40 yrs. He was honest to call out his colleagues on the hypocrisy in their pro
  • I have not read the new edition, but some of the information may be dated as the vax schedule is expanded

Dr. Mendelsohn had an enviable curriculum vitae; it includes being a practicing pediatrician for 40 yrs, expert witness, writer, professor of medical ethics, and medical advisor for LLLI; he knew something was wrong with the way modern medicine was run when his former patients came back to him for advice in treating the damage he did to them as children -  and following the advice of his professors. Dr. Mendelsohn said to them, "Why are you coming back to me? I am the one who damaged you in the first place."  The damage he was talking about was thyroid cancer from radium boxes on the thyroid gland, DES. 

Dr. Mendelsohn advocated that two pediatricians are worth ONE GRANDMOTHER because the experience of a grandmother, a woman who has raised her own babies to adulthood, is priceless.  At great peril to his professional reputation, Dr. Mendelsohn was the first pediatrician in America to advocate against routine childhood vaccines during the swine flu fiasco of 1976 in his syndicated column.  Many publications dropped his column after that one, but the dye was cast, and the Medical Heretic was born!

Chapter 19 in the book describes the childhood diseases that had vaccines against them when he wrote this book in 1986 and how to treat these diseases using common and time tested home remedies.  Mothers with young children in 1986 probably recalled having chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, or the flu and knew that these diseases were not dangerous, so with some bedrest, fluids and attention, the disease quickly passes. This chapter is a responsible writing since today most doctors do not know how to diagnose  a case of whooping cough that is right in front of them; this was the cause of the deaths of the 9 babies in California three years ago - doctors in the ER did not know they were dealing with whooping cough and treatment was delayed.  The babies were not vaccinated since they were too young for the vaccine but had genuine symptoms that the doctors were too ignorant to recognize as whooping cough.  Therefore, parents should be know what symptoms to look for, what treatment to use, and when to go for help.

I was most fortunate to meet Dr. Mendelsohn many times in the early 1980s. He was very supportive of mothers and I always felt empowered when I heard him in the media or in person.  He was very kind but articulate when he discussed his views. 

This book puts the parents back in charge of their child's health.   How did we get to the point where we look to young educated but in-experienced professionals to tell us how to raise, feed, and care for our children?  We need to be responsible for ourselves and make the decisions that we live with, because we really do live with our decisions not the doctors.  Truly, this book is a valuable resource for a parent to raise his/her healthy child in spite of any bad advice from any doctor.  Doctors are paid consultants and are human, and that should be remembered.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: