Viewing Review: Great read! - Mothering Forums

Great read! Edit
by cynthia mosher Combined Rating: 4.0

I got this in the mail as a free editorial review copy. I saved it to read during my flight to NYC, which was great because I read it from cover to cover from takeoff to landing, with a pause for...
Pros Cons
  • Lots of poignant articles written by moms with older kids. Gives the magazine a real feel to it
  • A bit short

I got this in the mail as a free editorial review copy. I saved it to read during my flight to NYC, which was great because I read it from cover to cover from takeoff to landing, with a pause for lunch service. 

I found the articles to be very down to earth and real. When you read something written by a parent from their own personal experience it gives so much more meaning and feel to the article. 

It is not too many pages, though that may be because advertising doesn't fill it as much as some of the bigger mags out there. I would like to see more articles written about children struggling with family dynamics, especially when there is a change in family relationships. Would be great to have more about multiculturalism and the issues older kids have to deal with and how their parents help them work through such things. Would love to read about young adults living at home too.

Overall, a great read!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
mamarhu 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM

I was happily impressed with "Brain, Child". The articles had depth and relevance, not just more superficial fluff about parenting teens and preteens. Rather than advice, the tone of the magazine was thoughtful consideration of personal experiences and situations. 

By the time parents have teens, I think they have answered most of the early questions about child-rearing; diet and school choice, discipline and and developed a style of interacting in their families. The authors of these articles are now considering deeper issues, in an atmosphere of respect for their children. The articles provided perspective, rather than advice, about life from the view of intelligent, experienced parents. Food for thought, rather than answers.

All in all, I liked the depth and quality of the articles. 

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance:
Durability:
Comfort: