|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-25-2012 06:47 PM|
|lunarlady||I'mm glad the doc you like is on call for the induction. To help get things ready I hope they will sweep your membranes at the appointment. EPO is great, as is RRL. I found it easier to use RRL tincture rather than trying to drink tons of tea, but whatever works well for you. A friend was overdue so she jumped on a trampoline until her water broke, triggering labor, but honestly I put that in the "not a good idea" category. . But I know how crazy we women get when due date deadlines are looming. I say eat and drink, and ask them to start the induction slowly. Also make sure they don't "start the clock" until your water breaks. Good luck.|
|05-25-2012 06:34 PM|
Well that just plain stinks. I'd hope they would at least try membrane sweep or the Cervadil before an induction. There is a higher likelihood of being sectioned when induced with an unripe cervix. It will take longer and pushy docs may watch the clock. Have you shared your feelings with the other docs or just feel like they would blow you off? Or share with the doc you like?
At the very least, if it comes down to it, have someone with you to stand up for you!
|05-25-2012 01:17 PM|
I did pick the date that the doctor I like is on call. It is however only three days before my due date so I'm wondering what can three days harm and should I just cancel the induction and hope that baby comes on his own by my due date.
|05-24-2012 08:52 PM|
|lunarlady||I would call and ask when the doctor you like has his hospital hours, and schedule your induction for about 6 hours before he comes on. Babies will come when they come, but with your health issues an induction may be wise. If you have to schedule it, make it work for you!|
|05-24-2012 05:41 PM|
I do have an apt the Thursday before the scheduled induction. Was going to ask if I'm "ready" if they can so something like stripping of the membranes to get things going in a more natural way.
I have given the doctor a birth plan which does have things on there for c-section but I know this doctor that I saw today has NOT read it nor my chart cause anytime I ask something and mention the teratoma he has to refer to the chart and does that oh that's right type thing when he responds to the question.
Another reason I hate doctor offices - so impersonal!
|05-24-2012 03:20 PM|
There is no evidence to support fasting before an induction or during labour. Are you able to make an appointment to see your Dr again before your induction day? If so I would tell him this and explain that you will not be fasting either before or during labour. If not, I would still not fast and just tell him when you arrive that morning.
As far as methods to get things going have you tried acupuncture? If possible its best to see someone with experience in women's health and pregnancy issues.
The other option of course is to decline the induction and wait to labour naturally. As you say USS are not very reliable when it comes to weight estimates and there are ways to minimize the risk of tearing (although no guarantees of course).
All the best, whatever you decide.
|05-24-2012 01:42 PM|
So some background so you know where I'm coming from. My first baby was 9lbs1.3oz and I had a 4th degree tear, was induced and had every medication they could pump in me. My second baby came on his own but did end up having a epi but the birth was easier as was the recovery and I did not tear but they did remove some scar tissue after baby was born he was 7lbs 5oz. My third was 6lbs 5 oz and came around 37 or 38 weeks same as my second. That third one was also medication free (did 85% of my laboring at home) and I swore after how amazing that birth and recovery was that if I did it again it would be at home/birth center and with a midwife.
I'm now 38 weeks with our fourth child. I started out with a midwife but then it was discovered I had a 10cm teratoma in my right ovary and I also developed gestational diabetes. I also had to go to the ER with extreme pain in my left side and it wad deemed I either passed a kidney stone or the baby had blocked the uretha temporary. So with these items the midwives were worried about me birthing with them so I was transferred to a more high risk doctor.
The one doctor in the practice I really like the other ones are annoying and piss me off. The doctor that I really like is also the one stating that for my well-being a vaginal birth is the best option for me that a c-section could pose a high blood loss risk due to the teratoma and the way they'd have to cut to get to the baby and whatnot. Because of the teratoma I've had many many ultrasounds and the baby has steadily measured large for his gestational age. When I went two weeks ago (36 weeks) the baby measured at 40 weeks 4 days. So he was 4 weeks larger then he should. I know these measurements can be off but even so he's still measuring bigger.
I was having lots of hip pain, strong braxton hicks, and other signs of labor but 2 weeks ago they just stopped. Nothing. I was checked at my last two appointments and was told I was "long" and 1cm. Today I was checked and told "no change from last time". So now they are wanting to induce at 39 weeks and at every apt the doctor that I can't stand seems to "push" or really "get me ready" for a c-section.
When I was called by the nurse to confirm my induction date they told me no food or drink after midnight and I need to be there at 6am. The induction date is June 4th and I'm already feeling like I'm on a ticking clock. My comment is I have gestational diabetes I NEED to eat and drink. My second comment is a induction can take hours and hours and I'm not going all day without eating just to be physically drained so that I have to have a c-section.
I've had doula training. I've read tons and tons of articles and books yet I still feel like I have no voice and that my dreams (what was left of them) of having a vaginal birth is being pushed aside. I feel mad that all these signs of labor have stopped and perhaps I'm doing something wrong that I've slowed things down. I'm trying to walk, drink a pregnancy tea (red raspberry), take evening primerose oil, and together time with my husband - but I know that if baby isn't ready baby isn't coming. However I feel like I HAVE to get things going and have to get baby out before the medication roller coaster begins and I end up having a tear feast for my last ever pregnancy and birth experience.
Also my insurance will only cover for this one group of doulas in our area. I was assigned a doula from that group and the day I was to meet her to talk about my birth plan and have her at the doc apt with me she texted me 10 minutes before I was to meet with her that she couldn't make it due to her son being sick. She texted that she'd call me the next day to find out how the apt went and to schedule a new time to meet. She never called. I tried calling her one night to ask her a question about 5pm. I never heard back from her. I mentioned something to my insurance and they called the coordinator for that doula group and my assigned doula again texted me that she was busy with a lot of births and would understand if I wanted to be assigned to another doula. I decided to just leave it cause if the coordinator couldn't call me to find out what was wrong nor could this doula call me and only communicate via text it just left a bad taste so for now it's just another one of those things that I had wanted in my "dream" birth that isn't going to happen.
So anyway - any thoughts on getting over the ticking clock. The no food issue with induction (the feeling that I'm already being set up for failure and super restrictive birthing). How to possibly get this show on the road before June 4th?