|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|09-03-2012 10:36 AM|
|08-30-2012 12:39 PM|
I actually stalled at ten with my first. Fully dilated without descent. Thank god that the liberal midwife was on call and "let me" wait it out. Five hours fully descended and I gave birth.
|08-28-2012 06:56 AM|
This is exactly what happens to me! I am 37 weeks with baby #5, and dilated to 7 or 8 cm. I have had 4 other babies 2-3 weeks early every time. They have all been over 8 lbs. I have had my water broken the last 3 times when labor has stalled like this, but this time my husband is really against it. He feels like we should just wait, like you, and let this girl come out when she is ready. My contractions are irregular and not painful, but I am just so tired from having them for weeks already! I was glad to read your story....I hope this baby will come quickly & easily. When I have had my waters broken at 7-8 cm before the baby is always born within a half hour. I am pretty stressed and can't stand the waiting game! Too impatient!
|07-11-2012 08:33 PM|
i love it! congratulations!
|07-08-2012 07:41 PM|
Woohoo! Congrats on your new little one. So glad all went well!
|07-07-2012 05:59 PM|
Yeah!!! I came back just to check to see if you had your baby. I'm so happy for you!! Good for you for listening to your gut/intuition. Your baby picked his perfect birth day. Congrats on your VBAC and enjoy your babymoon. Love the advice/support we mamas can get here on MDC!
|07-07-2012 03:59 PM|
Thanks everyone for the reassurance and encouragement to trust my instinct about waiting and listening to my body. Once I confirmed that I was not 'going rogue' and being unreasonable, I felt a lot better about my decision. And in the end, it was definitely worth it to do so. I birthed my son (8 pounds 2 oz! We hadn't expected him to be bigger than 6-7 pounds max) at home just before dawn on July 5th; from the time I was at the computer surfing the web (when my water broke suddenly) till he was in my arms was about 2.5 hours. It was a great experience and I am so glad to have had my HBAC.
|07-02-2012 07:40 PM|
If your water hasn't broken and baby heart tones are good....wait! I just had my 3rd vaginal birth and my labor had started and stopped over the course of 3 days (more prodromal I think). At some points, ctx were very close together and moaning through them etc. I had used some homeopathics to speed up labor and it worked for a bit but then I stopped them. I was offered the castor oil but refused. I also refused all internal checks and the offer to break my water. Also, when the midwives were here...my productive ctx STOPPED! I could only labor well if they weren't here. Do you have to be checked? Could you just let the labor runs it's course on it's own?? Are the midwives still there w/ you? How do you do if you're left totally alone w/ no one inside the house?? Can you turn inward and talk w/ your baby about it? Listen to your labor music??
|07-02-2012 06:57 PM|
You know, I know exactly four women who have taken castor oil to induce labour, and every.single.one has a story like yours- labour stalled at 6 or 7 cms.
I'm no medical expert, but I'm thinking if your water is intact, there's no harm in waiting for nature to take it's course. Stay in touch with your midwife, monitor for anything out of the ordinary, and wait. Good luck!
|07-02-2012 06:43 PM|
|womenswisdom||You know why you don't read about this very often? Because people go to the hospital, their contractions peter out and then they get pit or their water broken and they have a baby. If they were left alone, they would wait a few days or a couple weeks and then have a baby. This is not an uncommon pattern, ime, and as long as you are doing well physically and your baby is good, there is no reason to hurry things along. Multips will frequently be walking around at that dilation before labor starts. Heck, with my first baby, I was 5cm and 80-90% effaced (not in labor) when I let them break my water. You can see from my sig how that turned out. With my second, I chose not to have any cervical checks before labor (and then only one during labor because we suspected an anterior lip) because your dilation means nothing about when you will go into labor. It just stresses people out to know how dilated they are. I sounds like you were having a nice bout of prodromal labor which made a good change in your baby's position, but wasn't true labor. Honestly, most people don't find active labor to be basically painless, with just pressure and tightening (although it's been known to happen). At this point, being 6cm dilated in and of itself is no reason for induction.|
|07-02-2012 06:23 PM|
I think this sort of pattern happens more frequently in non-pit augmented births. Your membranes are not ruptured, you are not even at your due date, you have no risk factors and you have a "incompetent cervix" which possibly could be the reason you are at six and not in active labor. As long as baby and you are doing well, your judgement seems appropriate to me.
|07-02-2012 05:31 PM|
I am 39 weeks (would never encourage someone to take castor oil pre-due date but I was a bit desperate in light of my husband's trip) and attempting an HBAC (csection was due to breech after spontaneous labor @ 36 weeks although I was laboring fine). Other than that I don't have any risk factors that I know of. I'm hoping my body may just be trying to hold out till he get back and once I am able to relax things proceed smoothly and quickly from there but want to double check that I am not endangering myself or the baby by staying as I am due to all the guilting people have been doing.
|07-02-2012 04:49 PM|
It sounds as if you had a bout of false labor, not uncommon for a mutlip, that was made stronger by the castor oil. You are at 6 cms. We don't count the stretching. Stretching is a good indication of ripeness and smooth dilation to come but when evaluating, you go by the diameter without stretching the cervix. How many weeks are you? I was at a very similar birthless birth- stayed most of the day with a mom whose ctx eventually petered out after the castor oil wore off. She went into booming labor a couple of days later and had her baby in a couple of hours. Do you have any other risk factors? How many weeks are you?
|07-01-2012 08:36 PM|
Just for some background, this was my original post :
Anyway, as I had mentioned, I tried every method of natural self-induction in the book because I wanted to have the baby before my husband had to go out of state for a week. Wednesday night, we were talking and enjoying eachothers company and he mentioned how it could still work out very well if the baby ended up coming on thursday, which I agreed with. I then told him that I was ready to 'let go' and just let whatever happens happens BUT before I did that I wanted to try ONE last thing, something I had already tried and then swore I would never do again but the only thing that seemed to stir things up a bit, the dreaded castor oil induction (again! what was I thinking). If that didn't work, I swore I would give up on trying to get myself to go and just let things happen by itself. During the time we were talking, I guess I was distracted enough not to realize I was actually having some contractions SOOOOO...before going to bed, I went to the kitchen, mixed up a 'midwife's cocktail' (castor oil, baking soda, and orange juice) and downed it. AS I was finishing it up, I realized that I was already having regular contractions and then had an 'oh no' moment where I realized I could already be in labor and would now have to contend with the effects of that in a few hours. I'll leave that to your imagination...