Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: **October 07 DDC Birth Announcements** Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-28-2007 01:28 PM
wildgarden aylaanne,
I wondered about that, but only for a brief, foggy, postpartum second. I changed it for you. Congratulations!
11-27-2007 03:32 PM
aylaanne Thanks for posting my birth announcement, wildgarden! However, my husband is a doofus and anyone with a tape measure knows that 23cm is a little small, even for a tiny baby's head. My son's actual HC was 36.5 cm. I don't know where he got the 23 from.
11-27-2007 01:24 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Noelia430:

Zachary's birth story


Finally! It's a long one!

It started off Thursday 11/1 when I took some blue and black cohosh. I did 1 dropperful an hour, alternating between the 2, for 8 hours. I was supposed to repeat again the next day.. Thursday I didn't feel any change.

Friday 11/2 I woke up around 2:30am and I was really crampy and then the pressure waves started soon after. Around 8:30 they started coming every 3 minutes apart. I did end up calling my doula to let her know what was going on. I told her I'd call her back when I really needed her though. I went about the house and ate and got my bedroom straightened up... I threw up, took a shower, threw up again... Around 10:30 my doula called and dh answered the phone because I was throwing up and when he told her I was throwing up she said she'd be right over. After he hung up with her I said that was fine but I still don't think I need the extra help just yet.
Somewhere in there I called my midwife just to let her know what was going on. I told her I didn't think it was time for her to come just yet but I wanted to give her the heads up.
My doula got here between 11 and 11:30 I think and the first thing she wanted to do was start making some soup. Ok by me. I was getting hungry anyway. So she stayed in the kitchen making soup and I decided to lay down and take a nap. DH took Nathan and went to pick up Maddie from school. I took a pretty good nap and woke up during the pressure waves but I did notice they started spacing a little bit.
When I got up I went into the kitchen where my doula was and had a bowl of yummy lentil soup. My midwife called back around this time (1pm-ish) and asked how things were going. I told her that the waves had spaced a little since the nap and that they were now anywhere from 3-7 minutes apart. She told me I could take more blue and black cohosh to get them regular again and to call her back when I needed her.
So I started taking the cohoshes again just as I had the day before. Then we went for a walk in the neighborhood. It was a nice day and we enjoyed the sun and the breeze.
Sometimes I had to stop for the pressure waves, others I didn't.
When we got back to the house we mostly hung out and when I would have a wave I would just use my hypnosis to relax. Things seemed to be moving along outwardly, but I didn't feel like I was really making any progress with the labor. Waves did eventually get to be every 2 minutes apart and I was vocalizing with them but I still didn't feel the need to call my midwife yet. I didn't think it was time. I could tell this was making my doula nervous. She kept asking when I was going to call. I just kept saying that it's not time.
Around 5:30-ish my doula convinced me to call the midwife to let her know what was going on. I called and told her they were every 2 minutes apart but I still didn't feel like it was time for her to come. Then a pressure wave started so I quickly threw the phone to my doula. During my waves I had been moaning the word "Peace", which is a Hypnobabies cue, so that's what I did once again. My midwfe asked the doula if that was me and doula said "Yeah, I think you should come". I heard this but didn't say anything since I was in the middle of a wave and before it was done she hung up the phone. She said "Evelyn heard you and is coming now". UGH. I didn't think it was time yet!!
At this point I got on my ball and was swaying around in the kitchen. Waves were still every 2 minutes apart and lasting a little over a minute long. My doula then said that she thought we should do something to slow it down so the midwife would make it on time. What? I said there was no reason to slow anything down because I didn't think things were really moving that far along at that point. So I just kept doing my thing on the ball.
The midwives arrived around 6:30 and I took one look at them and thought that it was too soon for them to be here and I began to notice the waves weren't 2 minutes apart anymore.
They set up all their equipment and wanted to check my vitals and check the baby so we did that. We took my temp. and it was 100.6. She wasn't too happy about that. Then we listened to baby. He was tachycardic. WTF? So she told me she wanted to check my cervix. I just had this feeling that I hadn't made any progress from the day before.
Sure enough, I was only 1-2cm and still very posterior. I freaked out!
So then she started asking questions about why I would have a fever..etc...
She said she wanted me to drink, drink, drink and rest for an hour and then she would check my temp and the baby again in an hour. If my temp was still high and baby was still tachycardic then we would have to go to the hospital. OMG, I was devasated.
So everyone left Jim and I alone and I cried and we talked about what was going on. Pressure waves spaced WAAAY out during this time. I'm not sure how far apart they were. Jim made me feel better and said everything would be fine and that we weren't going to have to go anywhere. I told him that I just wanted everyone to leave and leave me alone. He had some questions for the midwife so he called her into the room and asked about the tachycardia and asked about the cohoshes. I told her that I didn't want to take the cohosh anymore and she thought that was a good idea.
After the hour was up she came back in and my temp was normal and baby sounded fine, too. Since the waves had spaced way far apart and my cervix wasn't changing we decided that it would be a good idea that everyone go home and I get some rest. She told me to drink a little wine to relax, but I didn't have any so I took some Benadryl, ate a little and went to bed. I was able to sleep well through the night with no pressure waves and I just got up to pee as usual.

Around 7am on 11/3 I started having pressure waves again. They were pretty strong and I had to concentrate through them as soon as they began. I went about my day as usual around the house. When I would have a wave I would use my Hypnobabies cues and say to myself "Release" and then "Peace" during the rest of the wave. I was all over the place that day. On the ball, in the shower, walking the halls, eating, hands and knees, etc... Waves never got closer than 4 minutes apart the whole day and I didn't feel it was time to call anyone, even for a heads up. I didn't want a repeat of the day before.
Bedtime came and I was still having strong pressure waves, still no closer than every 4 minutes. I was tired and wanted to sleep so I tried to "tell" the waves to space out so I could sleep. I put on the Hypnobabies Birth Guide CD and went to bed. Waves spaced a little to 7-8 minutes apart. When I would have a wave I shot right up out of bed because I just couldn't relax while having them laying down. This is what I did for the rest of the night. Somewhere in there I ate something, too.
Around 6 or 7am waves started getting about 4 mins apart again and dh started asking when I was going to call the midwife. I told him I would call when I was ready. I was still waiting for the waves to get closer together and I wanted to see some bloody show before I called. When I went to the bathroom after this I had a TON of mucous that was pink tinged with some darker streaks in it. I was happy to see it.
I ate some breakfast and dh had to start reminding me to use my hypnosis. There were a couple of times that I forgot or a wave would take me by surprise a those were really hard.
Around 9am (I think) I started feeling like I wanted to call my midwife. I even tried to fight that feeling and tell myself it was still too early but in my head I was screaming at myself to call! When I finally called her I told her waves were still only 4 minutes apart but I really felt something telling me to call her and I would like her to come check me. I started having a wave and tossed the phone to dh. I didn't have a chance to use my release cue and I was REALLY loud during this wave. Evelyn told dh she'd be right over.
I'm not sure what time she got here (10:30 or 11??) but as soon as she did I asked her to check me. She checked me and I was 6-7 and baby was -1. Thank goodness!! I started crying because I was so happy that I would finally be having the baby today.
She started getting her things out of her bag and setting up her equipment. I kept doing my thing during my waves. I would relax on the ball and this seemed to be my favorite spot. Casey, E's birth assistant, arrived a little while later and she got into the birthing groove with me. She would massage my back and feet during my waves and it felt so good. She braided my hair for me and that was nice, too. Things were moving slowly, but surely. I started feeling a slight urge to push at the peak of my waves. E wanted me to sit on the toilet around this time and it only made the urge worse. It was hard for me to relax and not try to push at the same time. We went back to my bed and E checked me again and I was 8 and baby was low, that's why I was feeling the urge to push. She also noted that the baby's head was transverse and that's probably why things weren't moving quicker. E had me get up and lunge to try and turn his head. Then we decided to walk outside on the sidewalk. When I would walk I would make these huge lunge-like steps. C and E were on either side of me and we were all arm in arm walking these huge silly looking steps. When I would have a wave I would squat with C behind me and E in front of me. We made it to the top of the street and the urge to push was now too much. Waves got closer and each time I had a wave I would grunt with the peak and then say "I'm not doing it, I'm not pushing" because my body was doing the pushing and I couldn't stop it. This was the only time that I started to freak a little because I thought the baby would be born outside in the cold on the sidewalk. In between waves we walked as fast as we could back to the house, which was not easy for me to do. I had 3 or 4 more waves on the sidewalk and I tried so hard not tp push but I couldn't help it. A couple of neighbors came out and asked if everything was alright and E said yes, she's just having a baby
When we got back to the house I peeled all my clothes off and ran for my bed. I got there just as another wave started and I got on my hands and knees and started pushing. E could see his head right there! Dh came in and was shocked to see the baby head already. He went to get dd because she wanted to be there for the birth but when she saw things in real life she didn't want to be there anymore.
So I continued pushing with each wave (which had spaced out to 5 mins again) and each time he moved down further and further. His head was easy to get out but his body was difficult. I got him halfway out and then I couldn't push hard enough anymore. I had to rest and even E couldn't just pull him out (he was at his waist down). I finally got the strength and gave one huge final push and he was out at 5:34pm on 11/4. He was stunned and didn't cry or move at first but his heartrate and color were good. We rubbed him and talked to him and he got some O2 and then he finally cried a little. He stayed attached to the cord for awhile and then dh cut it and I tried to nurse him. He wanted to suck but I couldn't get him latched so we just let him hang out for a bit.
A little while later he did get latched on and has been nursing almost non stop ever since!
Zachary Michael weighed 9lbs 12oz and was 22.25 in. long the day he was born. He came out such a chunky guy! I had a very small tear that didn't require stitches.

Thanks for reading this if you made it this far!!
11-26-2007 05:31 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Aylaanne:

alya had her baby!


Hello all, this is alya's Husband. We would up with a brand new baby boy on 11/23 at 2:53 AM. We wound up having to deliver via c-section "which is why I'm home posting before I head back to the hospital. Both ayla and I feel very good about the results and having to have the section. She labored from about 10:00 AM 11/22 to 1ish AM 11/23. We tried everything before deciding together the the section was what was best for both mom and baby's health.

The stats I'm sure you've been waiting for:

9lbs 1.5 ounce birth weight
20 3/4 inches long
23 cm head.

He's a big little boy. ayla, Matrim, and I will all be back home Monday 11/26 at earliest, more likely Tuesday 11/27. At which point she will update everyone with the rest of the details.
11-19-2007 12:40 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Apryl_srissa:

Late baby announcement


I've been off the computer, but wanted to stop in and share our news.

Nianna Pearl arrived 3 weeks ago today. Natural, drug free and uninduced (my first time starting labor myself).

I had excess fluid (extrememly excess lol), and she wasn't settling into my pelvis as we progressed, and I have a history of very rushed labors after water breaking (like 15 minutes later I'm done), so the mw was concerned about a prolapsed cord. So she put a small leak in my bag of waters, so some drained and allowed baby to settle into my pelvis. I leaked all over our labor room lol, but she dropped immediately into place. A few hours later, things had really progressed, so we called back in our nurse and mw, and just as I was saying I was needing to push, the only other mama in that night was too. So mw ran into her room, caught a baby, and ran back just barely in time into our room. Our nurse kept talking to the baby and asking her to wait just a minute so she wouldn't be on her own, then she called in a resident to be safe, but I just ignored all of them. But our mw arrived back just in time. When my water broke the rest of the way, we were glad that we hadn't had it happen at home. I really had TONS of fluid, it would have been enough to ruin our mattress (after, we kept finding puddles in odd areas of the floor there, poor dh had soaking socks lol). After my 3 7lb boys, her head felt bigger, then her shoulders felt huge, turns out she was over 9lbs! She inhaled a bunch of fluid on her way out, so while she was on my chest, she was turning blue, the ended up putting her on oxygen and having to take her to special care a couple hours to get her lungs working and all the fluid out, but then she nursed great and has been doing wonderful.

She arrived 10/28 at 4:50am, 9lbs 2oz, 20" and adorable! She looks nothing like her brothers, is happy and sweet and her brothers are adoring her.
11-13-2007 12:01 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Pumpkin_blythe:

Elliot is HERE!


10 pounds 4 Ounces 22 inches long I am way too tired to post but here are a zillion photos! lol
11-13-2007 12:00 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Mittendrin:

Niklas Aaron is here - pics and story


He's 8 days old now and I can't believe how lucky I am. He is the most adorable baby I could ever imagine. Up until I finally held him in my arms I was a bit scared if I would bond with him like I did with my two other boys - he wasn't planned and I kinda feared I would love him less. No way, he stole my heart within a split second and I cannot imagine my life without him. He is the best baby - super nurser, sleeps a lot (esp during night - gives me 3 and 4 hr stretches already - my other two took two years to get to that point ) and he is such a cuddly cute little guy I could just stare at him 24/7.
Anyhoo, this is how it went:
I started having contractions again at night on the 4th of Nov around 2am. As before I thought they were the real thing and got excited until they tapered off after I took a shower around 4am. I had some bloody show but that was it. Disappointed I went back to bed. When I woke up I had some cramping and more bloody show but still no contractions. I was furious, I was only 40 wks and 5 days but impatient as I could be. I dragged my kids and husband to the park and started walking. At home I kept busy making the kids lunch and picked up around the house. Around 4pm the contractions started up again with more bloody show and when they got intense enough that I had to breathe thru them I finally realized that I really might have a baby soon. For some reason that gave me the creeps, I started getting really nervous, snapped at my husband and had zero patience with my boys anymore. I was not a happy camper and finally my poor dh send me upstairs for a "timeout". I had a bit of a nervous breakdown there, laying in bed sobbing and feeling miserable. The contractions were still not in a good pattern, anything from 5 to 20 minutes apart and I was so frustrated and scared. When I finally got myself back together around 6pm I decided to call my midwife. I found out that my favorite midwife was on call and boy, did that turn my mood around. it was as if any fear and blockage I had in my mind was gone. I almost cried I was so happy to hear her voice on the phone when she calmed me down and asked me to come in. At that point the contractions were strong enough to make me drop on all fours and work hard to get thru them. So we called the sitter and were on our way to the hospital. Funny thing was that as soon as I was off the phone with my midwife the contractions started coming every 5 minutes. We arrived at the hospital shortly after 7pm. I got on the ball and they hooked me up to the monitors. At that point the contractions got much milder, easier to breathe thru although still 5 mins apart. I began to doubt myself again and got scared they'd send me home, I wouldn't be able to birth a baby with such mild surges. My mw suggested a bath and I went for it mainly out of boredom. It felt like heaven, I kept having contractions and they got a bit stronger again. the atmosphere was totally relaxing and I joked to dh how I was sorry that this labor was so undramatic as he seemed to wanna fall asleep sitting on the edge of the tub. It was around 8:45 that for some reason I felt I needed to get out of the tub now. As soon as I got out of the water I was hit with one contraction on top of another. Now I had to moan loudly. I quickly went to lie down on the bed and asked the midwife to check me. Sure enough I was at 10 cm and she asked if I want to push or wait. I only had to wait another minute and felt the urge to push. At that point I must have freaked out because I remember yelling:" Out! Out! Get him out!" but in my mind I felt like I wanted to get up and go home. I was not ready for this baby, I feel a bit ashamed to say I thought I don't want another child, how am I gonna do this? But the urge to push was there and I went along with it. My mw suggested breaking the water but I declined and a push later I felt the warm gush of water. Somehow that brought me back into the real world. I was still moaning and calling:"OUT!OUT!OUT!" But I was calmer and was a bit thankful for a break when they announced the head was out but stop pushing, he's got the cord around his neck. I waited til they gave me the ok and with one more push my beautiful baby was born. I was almost hysterical when I saw his face and kept laughing and crying:"Look how cute he is, omg, I can't believe how cute he is..." I was so happy, full force of hormones kicking in!
He was born at 9:06pm on Nov 4th, one of the happiest days in my life. I am a bit annoyed with myself for having negative feelings about the labor during that day, for not allowing my body to do its job. I kept whining how I want to have this baby and I don't want to be pregnant anymore but realize now that deep inside I was scared as heck to have another child and doubted whether or not I would be able to love him enough since he was such a surprise.
But I will get over that part and focus on how easy it was to have him. How easy the whole pregnancy was and how little the labor and birth hurt compared to me other two.
And I am thrilled to say that I didn't tear and am healing beautifully, I'm even horny already

Here's some pics of my little boy, Niklas Aaron. He weighed 8lbs 9oz, a pound heavier than I guessed, and was 20.5 " long.
11-08-2007 06:56 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Frisbee:

Elena Claire is here!


She was born on my birthday (now our birthday), November 4, and weighed 7lbs, 8 oz, was 20.5 inches long, and had a full head of dark hair!

I woke up at 4:30 am with an unmistakable contraction. They got stronger and progressively closer together. At 8 am they were 3-5 minutes apart and we left for the hospital, where we met our doula.

Long story short (no time to post the whole story right now with full detail), I made it through the entire 14-hour labor without any drugs. Apparently my stoic attitude was the talk of the nurse's station, but really I found that making any noise or moving too much made the contractions hurt more! By the end I couldn't stand to have anyone touch me during a contraction either. I made it to 7cms without too much trouble, but transition was definitely tough. Pushing was the hardest part. The contractions were excruciating and very close together. I waited for a while for the "urge to push" but after being convinced by my doula to try pushing anyway, I found that pushing was the only thing that made the contractions bearable. Since I hated it so much I guess I was really efficient - I pushed her from 0 station to all the way out in less than 30 minutes. Unfortunately towards the end I got a little out of control and did end up tearing a bit in both directions. The doctor barely got in the room and they didn't have time to bring out the ceiling mirrors or anything.

All in all, I had a great hospital birth. The nurses were incredibly respectful of my birth plan throughout. One of the best parts is that we had a couple hours of quiet time to bond with our beautiful daughter after the birth before being moved to our recovery room. Having a doula was absolutely the best decision I could have made with respect to the birth experience. The support she gave was simple but essential.

Elena took to nursing with no problems and has been a very easy baby, except that she is up every hour from midnight to 4am (so far). I'm really happy to be home and devoting every minute to her!
11-08-2007 06:55 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Fihz:

We got a baby!!!.. finally !!


Ludovic was born, at home after a nice, 3 1/2 hour labor, on November 7th 2007, at 12h12AM.

We had to help labor get started a bit, went to see my acupuncturist in the afternoon, which helped me let go of my fears of being induced later this week...

After supper, my MW came over to try some stuff to induce, but after the acupuncture session, things were slowly picking up and after 2 cohosh (black and blue) and a 10 min. pumping session, things picked up...

He weighed in at 9lb2oz, 21" in length, with a 14,5" head...

For pics...
11-06-2007 03:00 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Jlmack45:

Laynie Claire is here(just now able to post)


Here is my birth story. My water GUSHED at 10:30 pm on the 21st of October. I took a shower then drove to the naval Hospital(my husband is not able to drive on base right now). The contractions started but I was only at a 3. After about 4 hour they checked me and I was at a 5. I was in so much pain, I got the IV pain meds and slept for about 5 hours. I had planned an unmedicated birth, but that didn't happen. A few hours later I asked for the Epidural. It took them 3 tries to get it in correctly. Then all it did was make my legs not work. I still felt EVERYTHING. I could feel the monitors and the catheter going in and out with each push. Laynie was being stubborn and would not drop so I had to push from a -2 station. I pushed for 3 hours before she was finally born. I got a 2nd degree tear and I hemorraged. I was proud of myself because I did not feel any fear or panic about the hospital(like I usually do). It really helped that my husband was talking me through it and helping with my breathing(we did not get moved over here in time to do childbirth classes). Laynie Claire was born October 22, 2007 at 5:11 p.m. She weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces and was 21 inches long. She has long brown hair, chubby cheeks, my nose and lips, and long fingers. The hospital staff
said I was having problems with milk production so they gave her a bottle. She latched well until then. They told me I needed to supplement and I was worried and didn't know any better. We have been to consultant after consultant and she will still not latch now. She FIGHTS it and everyone who tries to help. I tried pumping for the first week, but it was causing contractions so bad that I was doubled over in pain for 3 days. I couldn't hardly walk. I have no choice but to bottle feed now, it's the only way she will eat. Labor was the worst pain I have ever had in my life, but it was so worth it!!
11-06-2007 02:57 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Noelia430:

My November October baby is finally here!


Zachary (no middle name yet) was borrn at home yesterday, Nov. 4th, after about 35 hours of labor. He weighed in at 9lbs 12oz and is 22.25 in long. My big boy! Things went smoothly, despite it taking so long. He is such a sweetie and a great nurser. Birth story coming soon!
11-06-2007 02:55 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Zac:

Lincoln (no middle name yet!) is here! (short homebirth story & a pic!)


Lincoln (we haven't decided on a middle name yet!) was born at home on October 30th at 448am after a short (less than 5 hour) labor and only 10 minutes of pushing!

Pre-labor started Monday, October 29th and turned into full-force labor at midnight (Oct 30th). I labored in the shower on hands and knees for most of my labor. I was really relaxed and my "pressure waves" didn't consume me. I felt in control and feel super great about how I handled myself! My midwives were super. I had backlabor pains and they were awesome with counterpressure and helping me to stay on hands and knees to encourage the baby to turn. When I wasn't in the shower I was on the toilet, birth ball, and bed. When the time came to push I sat on a birthing chair (it was comfy!) and he came out with about 5 contractions and within about 10 or so minutes! (a huge improvement over my nearly 2 hours of pushing with my first son!). The midwives cleaned and cared for us and left around 800am!

Stats: 9lbs 5oz (a whole lb bigger than his brother!), 23 inches long, head circum 14 inches, chest 14.5 inches

Here he is:

Homebirth ROCKS!!! (I did try to use HypnoBabies... while I didn't get that "zen" birth, I do feel that it helped me through labor - for sure!).

Mama, Papa and older brother Reid are all doing great!

Congrats to the other new Mamas!!!!

11-06-2007 02:53 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Mahna_mahna:

Korben Alexander is Finally Here


He was born on Halloween at 1:08 a.m. after 24 hours of hard labor. (Ouch...)

He was 7 lbs. 12 oz. and 20 1/2 inches long. (So much for this big baby that everyone was warning me about since he was two weeks overdue.)

I'm still getting over some of the shit they pulled during the last phase of labor. Such as HOLDING HIM IN when he was trying to come out because the damn doctor wasn't there. Guess what? The doctor didn't make it on time. He came out whether they liked it or not.

I tore while they were holding him in...but at this point, I don't care anymore. He's perfect.

On another note, the coolest thing is that when we finally came high school diploma was waiting for me. (I had taken my GED test all of two weeks before I gave birth to him.)

He's been latching on like a pro and been doing awesome possum. I'm so giddy!
11-06-2007 02:49 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Candyapplez:
Bryson James birth story


Bryson James was born at 12:07AM on October 22, 2007 7lbs 8.5 oz (same as his daddy was). My birth experience was nothing like I had planned but I’m focusing on the fact that I have my beautiful son.
Saturday the 20th I lost some plug and had some show at about seven pm. My dh and I started timing contractions but they were irregular. He asked if I was excited. I replied no because I knew of quite a few women that had contractions for days before they delivered. Honestly I knew if I got excited I wouldn’t get sleep that night. So we had a late diner and I was asleep by 11.
At 12:33 the contractions woke me up. Dh was still playing video game. I told him he should come to bed because I thought it would be a long day. I went about some business finishing up some things and came back. He was still playing. I told him he needed to get off now! He did saying his wife needed him. To which I replied because I’m in labor!
Dh went to the grocery store to buy me a bottle of wine and I took a hot bath and drank a small glass of wine. After I got out I immediately threw up and then had to go to the bathroom. That’s how I knew things were serious. So I called my doula and she got here about 2:30.
Things progressed along and we called my midwife Chris at 5:30. My friend Sara who was taking pictures came over. I got on my birth ball and watched CMT for a while. Tried to convince Dh to buy me the new Carrie Underwood cd on Tuesday. He did.
By this point my contractions were just a few minutes apart and lasting 1 minute to 2 minutes. I remember saying “ I thought they were only supposed to last one minute!!” My midwife and her two students Caitlin and Sara arrived at about 8:30 (I think)
To be honest things start to get a little blurry at this point. My midwife said she’d email the notes to fill in my holes. I spent a lot of time on the ball. The ball was my friend. The birthing stool on the other hand I found out is a torture device. At one point, my dh and Caitlin and Sara and I went outside to walk. I was supposed to squat every contraction.
I loved being in the water. It was so warm. Sara the midwife student has the most amazing brown eyes. I would lock into them and she never once broke my gaze. She carried me through many contractions. I progressed from 1 ½ cm to 7 cm in 5 hours. At one point I really wanted dh he was asleep. Everyone told me to let him sleep, but I needed him and made them wake him up.
At this point labor stalled and my cervix swelled. I laid down and they gave me a whole bunch of natural pills over the next 4 hours to open my cervix. This was about 4 o’clock I think. This really slowed my labor. I started asking for drugs. I was supposed to be saying “paw” to get me through contractions. My doula says I forgot what to say and was saying, “pee” and “po.”
My midwife came in and told us that there was some merkonian, it wasn’t enough that she was worried but she wanted us to know. They sent me to the evil stool when I was dilated again but after a few contractions I swelled again. It was 10:30ish and my midwife made the call to go to the hospital.
I rode with my midwife and our caravan left for the hospital.

At the hospital they hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and an iv, all the things I had originally told myself I wouldn’t allow. The doctor came in and told me that after every contraction, Bryce’s heart rate would go down, I didn’t ask to lie on my side. He recommended a c- section. I asked to talk to my midwife and dh. My midwife said she’d do a section. The doc said he thought I could do a vbac next time and he’d let me know if he saw any problems.
My dh and doula came with me into the operating room at 11:50. The doctor asked me whether I wanted him born on the 21st or the 22nd. My dh said, “take your time”. Plus dh is partial to the 22nd as his birthday is September 22nd. When they asked if I had any questions I actually asked if the anesthesiologist was covered under my insurance. (When my bf had her baby he wasn’t but the doctor was.) The doctor replied “yes and he takes all kinds of payment cash, credit…” To be honest the staff was great. I told the nurse that it was important to me that Bryce be welcomed into the world. As soon as he was born she said, “Welcome Bryce.” It was 12:07, they wiped him down and he was in dh arms within a minute. After they sewed me up they laid him on my chest and I was back in my room by 12:33.
I talked to my midwife about what happened. She said that Bryce was ideally to come down the birth canal with his chin tucked. He instead cocked his head to the side and got himself wedged. She had tried to move him but he wouldn’t budge.
11-06-2007 02:47 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Roostery:

Harriet Elva Primrose is here!


Harriet was born 10/28/07 at 10:52 pm via c-section.

8 lbs, 4oz, 20 inches long

The labor and delivery were an extraordinary comedy of errors, I'll write the story when I get a minute.

We're doing ok, Harriet is very mellow. She smiles all the time and only cries (briefly) once or twice a day --usually when I've missed her cues to nurse. She sleeps a lot --6 hours straight last night! I was a little worried but she had nursed pretty much straight without sleeping from 12 noon until 9pm so I figured she was OK.

I was right about her being mellow, and about the hair and about the smile! My dreams are apparently very accurate!
11-06-2007 02:45 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Dfunk98:

He's Here!! (finally having a chance to post!!)


Well, after 41+2 days, Linus Henry was born into the world at 12:25 am on Halloween morning.
I went into labor on 10-30 at about 5:30. I wasn't sure if it was labor, or I needed to use the bathroom. Contractions were irregular and in my lower back. After a few attempts, i was able to use the bathroom successfully (sorry tmi!!) and contractions really picked up and, thankfully, moved to my abdomen. At around 8:45, there was no denying I was in labor and at 9:30 they became strong enough for me to call my midwife. She was at another birth (!), but that mom was not as far along, so we decided she'd come to my house at around 11, after I'd nursed DD to sleep.
Easier said than done!! The only thing that felt good was to rock my hips side to side during a contraction. Well, DD likes to sit and rock in a glider to sleep, so contractions were a bit rough for awhile. After having to sit through 4 contractions while nursing, I finally laid DD down and went to call my doulas.
The four of them arrived between 10:45-11. It was so good to have some female energy around!! During each contraction, J rubbed my back as hard as I wanted (very hard). Sometimes, H or D would take over and use a tennis ball. It was agony!! I just kept focusing on how soon I'd be able to push and get some relief!! I kept feeling intense pressure to have a bm, but no pressure in my cervix.
My midwife arrived at 11:15 and I allowed her to check my cervix at about 11:45. I just couldn't imagine having to lie down on the bed!! I was also petrified I'd only be at 7 or something. My contractions were right on top of one another and I just couldn't imagine that. Well, imagine my relief when she said I only had a slight anterioir lip which I could easily push through!! AMEN!!
I got into the tub (aahhh!!) at 11:55pm and at about 12:10am felt like I needed to push. My water broke at around 12:20am (I remember the midwife saying "Did you feel that? That was the water bag. Time please? Water broke at 12:20.")
After about 3 more pushes and 5 minutes, Linus was born. It seemed like it took forever to get his head out. Much harder than I remember from DD's birth.
I looked down, saw his penis and couldn't believe it. A boy!! I had a boy!! My parents had their first grandson after 5 granddaughters!! I couldn't wait to call my parents downstairs and tell them I had a boy-upstairs in my tub and not in some hospital 20 minutes away!! They slept through the whole thing and had no idea I had planned a homebirth. DD also slept through the whole thing and awoke the next morning to find her baby brother, to which she replied "Oh, he's nice!!"
So, here we are 6 days later. Linus and Avery are happily tandem nursing and all is right with the world.
11-06-2007 02:42 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Kconterio:

Clara Hypatia is here! (coming up for air, finally able to post)


Well, our little girl arrived on the full moon just as her dad predicted. I started having contractions around 1pm friday (10/26) afternoon and she was born at 11:23pm! Not too bad for a first timer! it was a bit fast towards the end, we went to the hospital around 7:30, i was 2 cm 100% effaced, they wanted me to walk for 2 hours. serious serious contractions started about the minute my midwife left the triage room. an hour and a half later, after laboring in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, in the hospital, going home and coming back to the hospital i was 7 cm. they wheeled me downstairs to the alternative (read: natural) birthing center, i got into the jacuzzi, started uncontrollable pushing around 11. they got me out of the tub, water broke on the walk to the bed. I pushed on my hands and knees for a few contractions and it wasn't doing much so they flipped me on my side and she was born about 10 minutes later. i had a 2nd degree tear that they fixed up once i stopped shaking (at my request... who wants to have their yoni sewn up when they can't stop shaking?) it only took about 20 minutes and it's healing pretty well. we spent the night in the ABC thinking that we'd early discharge the next morning, but...

sadly, i got really dehydrated in the jacuzzi and ended up passing out trying to take a shower, and then in the bathroom trying to get back to my bed, then the following morning trying to go pee. so me, the needle phobe, had to have an IV, which was shockingly anti-climactic. and we had to spend the next night in the hospital as well to make sure i was done with the unconscious spells.

clara was a healthy 7 lbs 6 oz when she came out, 19" long with quite a cone head. she's nursing like a champ and i'm also online looking for sore nipple advice, cause wow, it hurts. she's gained back all her birth weight. she's shockingly compact for such a heavy baby. all of the nurses/midwives thought she would be much lighter. but she's just like her dad and me, small and sturdy! we only have a few items of clothing that actually fit her, the rest she just swims in, so i'm hoping she gains weight really quickly!

you can check out our little photo website to see the goods:
11-06-2007 02:40 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Maeve:

Any other Halloween babies?


Anabel came on Halloween and I was just wondering if there were any other Halloween babies?
11-03-2007 04:11 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Mamalara:

Gabriel Adnan is here!


Gabriel Adnan was born on Oct. 30. He is awesome, and a nursing champion. What a relief to be a non-pregnant person again...although I miss feeling him kick and move around inside my belly. He is a complete joy already, and I'm so excited to welcome him to our family, and to share our lives with him! His big brother Noah is adjusting very well. I know it isn't easy to grasp for him. He is enjoying holding the baby, and instructing me to nurse on specific sides.

I hear Gabriel freaking out- husband is not quite holding down the fort upstairs. I'll write more later!
11-02-2007 05:35 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Moonfroggy:

dmitry robins birth story (Really long and rambly)


ok it is really long. i need to rewrite it but i doubt i will get around to doing that anytime soon. it is written stream of thought because thats how i write stuff like this.

i feel ready to try and write out the birth story. this will be a bit of a rough draft i suppose but i need to at least write out the rough draft. it is going to be long because the story has a beginning way back before he was ever conceived.

because of events that happened to me in childhood i had always felt my body was a bit broken and that maybe i would never be able to have a baby. i always wanted to be a mom even when i was 4 or 5 i knew i wanted to be a mom someday and when i was that young i would sometimes secretly pretend to be having a baby while going to the bathroom. i never told anyone about that little secret until i got pregnant with dmitry. it turns out my body is pretty good at the whole getting pregnant and making a baby thing but the childhood suff did break it a little. in order for me to be able to do the deed to get pregnant the traditional way i had to do biofeedback therapy for vaginismus. i was with rob for 6 years before we where ever able to have that type of sex. if you count that type of sex as loosing ones virginity then i went a really long time before loosing mine. in high school i realized that my family was messed up and had messed me up and in order to break that cycle of toxicity i would need a lot of therapy so when i got my first job i found a therapist and started spending almost my entire income on therapy a little before that time rob and i started dating. between rob helping me lots of talk therapy and lots of work i did on my own i managed to grow and overcome so many things and i think i have gone from being a survivor of abuse to being a thriver. the pregnancy and giving birth where that last healing thing to push me over from the survivor to thriver line. i will always have my past and i suspect always have some issues and some ptsd type dialog in my head but now when that happens i know exactly what is happening why and what to do about it. it took rob a really long time to feel ready to be a father and i am so glad it did because by the time he was ready i was able to have sex and have it be about love. previously it had been a fun thing but i could not connect the emotion of love to the act of making love. it was the week dmitry was conceived i was finally able to make that connection and it makes me so happy that i was able to conceive him in an act of love that i am shaking and crying with happiness right now. i got pregnant really easily and right away which was shocking i had felt so broken for so long i didn't think i could get pregnant even though i had never had any medical reason to doubt my fertility. pregnancy was not to hard on me the one hard thing was nausea but i think overall it may have been easier for me than most women partly because i didn't need to work and was able to rest or do whatever my body said it needed. we are a lucky family in that rob has an awesome job with great benefits that allow me to be able to not work. i found the third trimester the easiest and up until a few days before he was born was walking several miles a day. the last 2 weeks of pregnancy did however become extremely stresful. i was positive about the edd and he was coming late and my midwifes where not comfortable with me going much past 42 weeks. i have had a lot of bad hospital experiences so the thought of having him in one was terrifying to me and i think the terror i felt may have delayed him coming even more. so on october 26th when i was 42 weeks exactly we went to an acupuncturist and she saw how agitated i was so she decided to focus on helping me to relax and the next day would try and induce labor. it was my first time really experiencing acupuncture and it helped me to feel safer and more relaxed than i had ever felt in my entire life and when it was over she sent us to get pizza and sleep. after having the best pizza i have ever had we went home and i tried to sleep but i kept having digestive issues and contractions. i did get some sleep but not much. when i realized it was real labor and not the stop and go labor i had been having for weeks i became so happy i could not stop laughing and crying and smiling. rob woke up worried because i had just been moaning a lot before that point and he had gotten used to the moaning. i knew my body desperately needed some rest and sleep to have the stamina for labor so i layed in bed trying to sleep and tried to remember how the acupuncture had made me feel and as my body relaxed it felt like spirits where int he room with me and i felt a very real hand gently touch my right foot and at that moment my entire body relaxed and i fell asleep. maybe i was already asleep and it was a dream but whatever it was it felt like an amazingly spiritual event. i had been telling rob for months i wanted to wait as long as possible to call the midwifes so when i told him to call he kept asking me if i was sure and i guess when he called it was around 6:30. from that point on i started to get really animal like i guess it was the reptile brain i read about? i went in the birthing tub for a bit then my eyes landed on the futon in the living room and i went there between contractions my entire body went limp and i almost slept while having contractions i was wild. i knew it was important to vocalize and to make sure i peed enough and there was no way i was making it to the bathroom and back so i peed on the blanket i was on and made the loudest most wild sounds i have ever heard. i had no idea i was capable of sounding like that. i was extremely active. when the midwife finally got here she checked me said i was very open and i guess said something to rob about me not needing to do anything different that i was listening to my body so she went around the house preparing things. i am glad i was left alone anyone talking to me would start to get me out of that reptile brain place and i really needed to be in that place. at some point i almost ran to the birthing tub where i went limp during breaks but was practically doing flips during contractions. at some point i had a brief thought of damn i want drugs and it is to late to get any. i think the pain of the contractions had lost it's initial charm at that point i tried to keep my sense of humor when i did talk i tried to say funny things mostly i focussed inward and just did what i needed to do. at some point the water broke and it was clear and i was so relieved and then at some point i felt a mushy hairy thing and i had no idea their heads feel so mushy coming through so i took quiet a while before telling anyone his head was coming. the midwife had rob get in the tub with me so he could tell her how much head and the other midwife showed up. i guess they felt for a water birth it was taking a little to long to get him out so they told me i needed to get on a birthing stool. i don't know how i got on the stool but i did and they told me to make grunting sounds instead of moaning sounds and i had to sort of think about how to do that for a moment but then i was able to and he came out pretty fast and all of the sudden i had this perfect little person in my lap. there was some concern about blood loss and i got a shot in the leg and something about a placenta it was all a blur and i was in bed and i guess part of the bag didn't want to come out but it did eventually i was pretty oblivious to what the midwifes where doing and just starring at my son. i checked to see if he was a son so i would know what name to call him. i said it's dmitry and no one had seen me check so the midwifes where surprised i knew. i was in bed with him and rob and i think in total shock. at some point they had me sit on the birthing stool to pee but instead of peeing i started to faint. there was yelling for me to open my eyes and talk to them so i did and back in bed i went. the midwifes did various other things for a while and i spent that time with dmitry in shock and bliss and at some point they said i should try and pee in the shower but when they got me standing up i started to faint again so back to bed i went and got a catheter. i told them since i had never had one i wasn't afraid. it was unpleasant but i was so high still it was ok. i kept telling dmitry how rob and i made him out of love and how he was perfect and no matter how he had come out he would be perfect and how much we loved him. the midwifes where concerned about my inability to sit or stand up without almost fainting and i think where pondering if i needed to go to the hospital. the midwifes felt i had not lost so much blood for how my body was reacting and we sort of decided it was related to sever lack of sleep that i was having so much trouble. at some point i was shown my tear and given a choice of stitches or not. dmitry took a small chunk of me with him on his way out and my tear is long and straight and just where an episiotomy would be but it is only skin deep does not go into muscle or anything else at all. i was told if i did not get stitches i would need to stay in bed with my legs closed for 2 weeks if i did get stitches then i might get out of bed a week sooner. i chose to forgo the stitches since i wanted to baby moon anyways. before the midwifes left they set up the room so i could pee next to the bed without having to even stand up since they where worried i would faint if i tried and set up a bunch of other stuff and told rob how to care for me and that he had to care for me so i could care for dmitry. before dmitry was born rob had never held a baby. not a toddler not a baby of any age at all! i had held very few babies. poor dmitry has had to deal with us fumbling parents learning everything as we go. i think we are learning fast though and dmitry seems to be mostly happy and very strong and healthy. i am healing really well and fast my midwifes gave me the ok to leave the house on monday to see my chiropractor (my back keeps spasming). last night i got out and hand mirror and looked at myself and my midwifes say when they look at me i could pass as a women who has never had a child and they seem so impressed but i think it was kind of traumatic for me to see how different everything looks (had some old ptsd type feelings come up when i saw everything). i am extremely sore and if rob had to be working right now i would be lost. i really can't do much but in a way i think that is mother natures way of ensuring i spend this time bonding with my son. i feel like i learned so much about what my body is capable of and trusting my instincts and my body and i feel so proud of myself and like my son is so perfect.

dmitry robin he came at 42 weeks 1 day he was 8 pounds 6 ounces and a little over 22 inches long (my midwifes are impressed by this since he is my first and i am 4 foot 10 inches tall)

i will post some photos later.
11-02-2007 03:22 AM
wildgarden Reposted for Justthatgirl:

He's here! I have a fresh new baby! * pics & story on post 7


Thomas Clark C- was born at 10:53 AM (central) today, November 1, 2007. He was born unassisted into mommy's hands with LOTS of support from daddy on the bathroom floor mat. He weighed 9lb 3oz and has HAIR. Unlike big brother & big sister who were bald as cue balls till they were considerably older.


Some details of the birth:

I woke at 6:20 or so with contractions. I tried to sleep again. My mom called at 6:37 and I was still contracting (of course). It went on like that till around 10:40 when I needed to push. It was such a fast labor. I didn't expect it.

The pains when it was time to push were overwhelming and I ended up panicking. Yelling, "I can't do this!" even though logic was telling me, "What the heck are you gonna do? Go to the hospital like this? The baby is coming out NOW and no medic would make it in time. Besides, what are they gonna do??" In retrospect it's rather amusing but in the moment I was very scared. The pain was constant, I wasn't getting a break and I wasn't expecting that.

I went to the toilet to clean up a little (bodily functions) and realized I needed to get OFF the toilet, otherwise he'd have been born in the toilet. Not the place for a baby! lol!

Then for awhile afterward the after pains (after the placenta had come out, about 20 min or so) were freaking me out again and I was in shock again! So I took some homeopathic remedies for shock, bruising & swelling, and nerve pain throughout the afternoon. It helped. Of course, I still feel bruised from pushing a bowling ball out of myself. I'm feeling much better than I was, though, both physically and mentally.

Tim (dh) was OUTSTANDING throughout the labor and birth. I couldn't have asked for a better partner. He was excited and happy and calm and peaceful and just awesome. He'd help me focus and he was just great, especially when I was freaking out.
11-01-2007 02:02 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Wildecat:

Autumn Jane has Arrived!!


Date of Birth:10/26/2007 @ 12:30 a.m
Original Due Date October 31st, 2007
Height & Weight:20 inches, 7lbs, 2 oz

Autumn Jane's Birth Story
All Natural

On Tuesday October 23rd I began having more regular contractions and losing my mucous plug. Wednesday my mucous turned to a bloody discharge and I knew we would be meeting our little Autumn very soon. Thursday the 25th, I woke up feeling energized despite getting little sleep the night before. My husband Bradley and I decided to go out and finish errands, get groceries, clean the house and prepare the birth tub. During the afternoon, my contractions were a consistent 8 minutes apart with 30 sec. duration. I came home and sat on my birthing ball for a couple of hours and timed my contractions. They quickly intensified, coming every 5-6 minutes with 1 min. duration. By 9pm, I was beginning to have to really breathe through them so I had Bradley call Lucy and Joy, my Midwife and her assistant. While waiting for them to arrive, I went into my bedroom and labored alone. I took a hot shower and tried out multiple labor positions during my 2-3 minute frequency contractions. I began to feel very shaky and nauseous and had to focus on my breathing and use positive mental imagery of what my cervix was doing through contractions, in order to remain focused. Lucy and Joy finally arrived at 10:45 pm. Lucy entered the room where I was squatting on the floor, my favorite labor position. I asked her if it was normal for me to be so shaky and nauseous this early on in labor and asked for an internal exam. To our surprise she checked and rechecked and told us that I was at 8 or 9 centimeters and well into transition. Bradley and I immediately got into the birth tub and I felt instantly rejuvenated. I went through the rest of transition in the tub, relaxing during contractions while Bradley performed phenomenal acupressure on my lumbar region. I remained in a squatting position during contractions and laid over the edge of the tub to rest between them. Bradley and I remained alone in the dimly lit birthing room until about 11:45 when I could feel Autumn descending my vaginal canal. Initially I tried to breath through the pushing contractions but found it more effective hold a full breath and use to help push. I paced my self with 4 or 5 shorter pushes during each contraction. After several pushing contractions, Bradley could feel the bag of waters bulging out of me. Lucy suggested that breaking the bag would shorten the labor so she snagged the sac and Autumn’s head was immediately delivered into Bradley’s hands. Because her head was delivered so quickly, I involuntarily stood up in pain. Bradley moved quickly to hold me up and with the next contraction Autumn’s body was delivered into Lucy’s arms. I was able to sit in the tub with Autumn on my chest and admire our beautiful daughter. With a strong rooting instinct, she latched on without hesitation.

We are both so in love with her and amazed at the beautiful person that we created. We are in absolute awe of every little noise and facial expression that she makes. This was truly the most life-altering experience for us and has given us a new perspective.
10-31-2007 06:49 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Vivianstcloud:

Maya Roanhorse has arrived!


After 30 hrs of labor, Maya joined us at 12:12 pm Sunday, October 28th.

She is 7lb 4oz and a perfect beautiful baby girl.

Hers was a natural childbirth (using Hypnobabies) at a very supportive hospital with the help of a midwife.

Thank you OCT DDC for all your support and humor and love. You really helped this first time mama through a beautiful pregnancy and birth!

Maya Roanhorse
Baby girl
7 lb 4oz
19 3/4 IN
Born Oct 28th, 2007
10-31-2007 04:54 PM
TeaLeaf My water broke at 29 weeks. I was lucky that my body allowed me to hang on to my pregnancy until week 34; I spent 5 weeks in the hospital on bedrest to every one's surprise -- most women with ruptured membranes deliver within 72 hours. The induction lasted 51 hours; the delivery was a far cry from the waterbirth we wanted, but the important thing is that everybody is well. Our son was in the NICU for a week; he did much better then the anticipated four weeks.

Our son and first child was born on the 7th at 34w2d, 4lb 10oz
10-30-2007 05:42 PM
EviesMom It's been delayed by our sudden hospital stay last week, but now here's Jazz's birth story from 10/15!

Patrick: DH
Evie: DD 3 years old
Ali: Friend/doula/recently certified midwife
Cara: Midwife
Laura: Best friend, Evie’s caregiver during birth
Tim and Lucy: Laura’s dh and dd, Evie’s best friend

I’d been having bh contractions that kept me awake for an hour or two in the early morning hours for about 3 weeks. About 6:30 am on Sunday, Oct. 14th (3 days before Jazz’s due date), I awoke urgently needing to pee and having mild contractions. I did, went back to bed, needed to pee again, did, then tossed and turned and decided to just go ahead and get up for the day. Jazz was really kicking and squirming. So I sat up, felt a little gush of something, went to the bathroom yet again, more gushing. I thought “I think that’s my water…” But I wanted to be sure b/c of the weeks of off and on contractions. I went to the computer to MDC’s due date board, posted to a thread started by another “I think this is it” mom, and when I stood up from the computer, another gush and… a stronger contraction.

I woke up Patrick and told him I was pretty sure that finally, this was it. We were both so excited and happy. We called Cara and gave her the news. She said to call her when contractions got really started. We timed a few contractions, which seemed to be about 15 minutes apart and 45 seconds long, debated for a while and decided to both take Evie to gymnastics class via taxi. We called Laura and arranged to meet her, Tim, Lucy, and Henry after Evie’s gymastics class and see how things were progressing. We talked to Ali and let her know that it would be soon, but that we weren’t in need of help yet. Evie woke up and nursed, which made contractions stronger, but not unmanageable or closer together. Then off we all went in a flower power taxi to Chelsea Piers.

During her class, I continued to leak water every so often, and timed the contractions periodically with Patrick’s iPod. She had a blast, as she always does there. They were mild and still 10 minutes apart, 45 seconds long, through class and while we met Tim, Laura, and Lucy at the playground. They took Evie back to Brooklyn with them to play and Patrick and I picked up sandwiches at Grey Dog Coffee and went back to our apartment. I ate and tried to rest a little, but was unable to, so we called Ali and she came over. I got Evie’s big sister doll unhooked from her box and wrapped and ready to go.

The three of us happily played Scrabble and I did pretty well, tying Patrick in the end with 190 points each. After talking to Cara, We decided to go for a walk around the neighborhood to try and get labor moving. We took Dayna with us, and it did indeed move it up a level, because I had to physically stop every few blocks to get through a more intense contraction. That was at about 7:30pm.

When we got home, we pulled out a quiche for dinner. I sat down to eat though, and couldn’t take a bite. Couldn’t eat more than 2 bites of my turkey sandwich either. Evie and Laura were on their way back, and we figured that would slow down labor, so we planned to put her to bed, then fill the tub. So we called Cara to update her and I was sitting backwards on the couch. Patrick and Ali also talked to Cara, and she apparently told them both we were probably looking at a long night. She didn’t say that to me, but I got the sense from the fact that she wasn’t coming over for a couple of hours. I remember thinking at that point, “I don’t want to do this all night. I’m already tired. I think I’m farther along than that, but I’m not letting it show in my voice. And I’m not letting it do it’s job either.” So I decided to make more noise, something like an om, and direct it toward opening.

Sure enough, that worked FAST. By the time Evie arrived, I was in the shower, needing to move to hands and knees for contractions, needing to make noise for them. I told Patrick and Ali that Laura couldn’t leave, and that they HAD to start filling the tub. They called Cara and told her we needed her now. I was able to talk to Evie briefly and to direct Laura to the activities for Evie. I remember Ali telling me that everything was ready, I’d prepped wel, and to let it go and trust everyone else to do what needed to be done for Evie, the tub, and so on. By the time Cara arrived, I think it was about 9:30. Contractions were intense. Before she even checked me, I said “Please can I get in the tub?” and she said yes with a very brief check. I immediately asked Patrick to get in too, so he stripped and did so.

I thought it would slow down then for a bit, but it didn’t feel to me that it did. (Ali and Cara said it did though). I bent over the side of the tub, hung on Patrick, just moved a lot. Evie and Laura were playing upstairs most of that time I think. I remember saying “I need a break.” A lot around that time. Sometime here, Ali cast circle for me. I just kept saying “Oh” very long, melodically, and loudly. It felt like singing. It felt right to me and helped me be calmer.

Another thought came to me very clearly: “The only way out is through.” That was my interior refrain from then on. At that moment. I heard Cara say “That was a little bit of a push at the end of that contraction.” The next thing I remember was Laura sitting on the couch holding Evie. I asked Evie if she wanted to stay, or if she wanted to watch TV or do something else. Laura said “Don’t worry, Evie and I have been talking, and she’d really like to stay.”

I could feel downward pressure then. It was intense. I tried to just let my body do its work and stay out of its way. Although I let everyone know I could feel Thor moving down. I was leaning back on Patrick, who held me up. When a contraction hit, I would press my feel against the side of the tub or put my ankles over the side and press back against Patrick. At one point, I felt like people weren’t listening to me because everyone was just watching me intently (I thought they should be able to see him by then, and I was afraid that we were somehow still looking at a morning birth. I knew I couldn’t go on that long and needed someone to say I was close.)

So I reached down and felt Thor’s head about an inch inside. My eyes must have gotten big and Cara said “yes, that’s him.It’s not long now!” Soon they could all see his scalp too. Evie crooned “oh Mama! He’s so cute!” and everyone laughed. Ali took pics and I wanted to see the pics, but I did NOT want a mirror. I wanted to see =the progress I made when pushing, and not how much showed between contractions. A bit later, I had started asking fir reassurance that it would not go on all night or even another hour, since I knew pushing could take a few hours since it was new to me,. Cara said a few more pushes. Evie said “One more push Mama, and I’ll be able to see his eyes!” which somehow reassured me more than any professional midwife comment. And indeed, with Cara supporting my perineum, it was two more pushes until he was born. (An hour total of pushing.) He was born on Monday, October 15th at 12:35 am.

As Cara put him on my chest, beautiful, and looking to me quite pink, eyes open, the most gorgeous thing on earth, Patrick said softly into my ear “His name is Jasper.” We had been debating between Ezra and Jasper and in the end I told Patrick I wanted him to make that final decision when the baby was born. It’s funny, the way he said it very soft and sure, it was just right and perfect to me: Jasper Morey
10-29-2007 08:47 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Moonfroggy:

he is here and perfect and i need to recover more before i can post the story but he is amazing and big 8 pounds 6 ounces my midwifes where impressed because i am pretty small 4'10 and i tore kinds bad

i willpost details when i have energy
10-29-2007 08:19 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Carmalbert:

Atia Caroline is here! (late notice)


Hi Ladies,

Atia arrived October 4th, 6 days before her due date. I know it is late notice, but you understand I'm sure! We just picked her name finally! Give me your feedback on it. I would love to hear what you think.

She was born at home after only 4 hours of active labor. My water broke in the middle of the night and I didn't go into active labor until noon the next day. She was born at 4:21. My husband almost delivered her. The midwife arrived and she was born 12 minutes later. What a whirlwind birth! It was amazing, though. I loved having her at home (my DD1 was born in the hospital with midwife). I was so relaxed and ready. She was 8 lbs. 8 oz. What a beauty!

Congratulations to everyone else who brought a little angel into the world and who is due to any day now!
10-29-2007 08:15 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Dena:

Ellen Marie is finally here!!


Our beautiful baby girl, Ellen Marie, was born October 22, 2007 at 9:17 p.m. The birth and her first week of life has been one of the most amazing, empowering, and healing experiences of my life. This is long, but I really feel the need to share it all, so here goes...

Monday morning, I saw my ob about my continued high blood pressure and the protein spilling into my urine. He recommended that we go ahead and deliver. His philosophy, and I had to agree, was that this could turn into PIH very quickly, and could cause Ellen distress very quickly and, while we know at this moment that she is ok, we should get her out before we ended up in emergency c/s land.

So, that afternoon I checked into the hospital for an induction. My midwife and doula, who were also totally on board with this decision, met us there. (final pg brain story - apparently when I paged my mw I entered dh's cell phone, so she ended up calling him back!) At 3:15 I took the cytotec. At first, labor was a piece of cake. I was on continuous monitoring for an hour, then the doc let me get up and do basically whatever I wanted. We were roaming the halls laughing and joking. The nurses thought we were wonderful, but the strange looks we got from the folks in the waiting rooms were pretty priceless. About two hours later, the doc came in and broke my water (he wanted to keep things moving with as few drugs as possible), and the contrax started to get heavier. (I remember noting with surprise that the water was warm when it came out... then thinking, well, of course it is warm, you idiot! lol!) I was at 3 cm, and we thought things would now move fast. My midwife and doula hit the cafeteria for dinner while the nurse drew me a bath. (Yep, induction, water broken, and still got a bath. In the hospital. Does my ob rock or what? ) Over the next two hours I was in and out of the bath, on the birthing ball, in and out of the bed, basically whatever was comfy. My energy healer arrived about 7:30 and added her wonderful vibes to the mix, and the doc came back at 8 to check me. He was a little surprised at the number of women in the room, but was ok with it. Then he heard my cd player and gave me an odd look. "Gregorian Chants?!" he asked disbelievingly. Ha. Hey, it was working for me.

So, got checked again. ONLY AT 4CM!! ARGH. He told me I needed to progress at least another cm to cm and a half in the next hour or he would need to start pitocin. Then he left us to it. I was a little freaked at that point, because I really did not want the intensity of pit. contrax. So I turned to my midwife and asked her if she though the tub would help. She agreed and, while she drew the bath, I continued to labor on the ball. The contrax got heavier, and I started to moan and rock. I remember the nurse coming in at one point to check me with the doppler, and I ended up leaning against her and moaning through a contrax, to be rewarded with her praise! Wow.

I then got into the tub, and the contractions really picked up. It was wicked intense. I was swearing like a sailor and demanding drugs and alcohol. Even told my midwife to shut up once. I later learned my birth team was celebrating. During this time I was also moaning pretty loudly. At the end of one contraction I overheard my nurse comment on the "wonderful" noises I was making. Bless her heart.

So after an hour of this, I could feel the head when I stuck in my finger. The nurse checked me at 9, and I was at 9 CM!! Whoo Hoo!! About three minutes later, I wanted to push. My midwife told me to just do it, not announce it, since the doc hadn't arrived yet. I tried a little, but it didn't quite feel right, so I went through another contraction or two, then saw the doc enter the room out of the corner of my eye. On the next two contrax, I pushed once each, and on the third I really got three good pushes in. I could feel Ellen crowning and reached down to feel her head bulging out of me before announcing triumphantly, "here she comes!!" I later learned that while I was starting to push, my doc was puttering around verrry carefully putting on his gown, his booties, etc., and hadn't gotten to gloves yet when I made my announcement and started pushing Ellen's head out. To his credit, he simply started guiding my pushing, but never told me to stop (yeah, like that would have happened ) and ended up catching her bare handed. I had actually wanted dh to catch her, but he didn't feel the desire to move from my side while I was pushing, so that was ok too. After just a few pushes, Ellen Marie was in the world and trying to cry even as she was laid down on the bed. I flipped over (I was pushing on my hands and knees) and baby was placed on my chest and wrapped in a blankie. She looked at my and cried a little, then nestled in. She was, and is, one of the two most beautiful creatures I have ever seen in my life. (DD1 is the other). I was instantly in love and told her so over and over. We waited for the cord to stop pulsing, then doc clamped and dh cut. It was very cool!

A few minutes later, I birthed the placenta. Amalie's placenta had fused to Ellen's and you could see the outline of her remains through the membranes. I felt like I had been given a second gift at this point, as we were not expecting to be able to see anything of Amalie. The doc offered to peel back the membranes to see if we could discern more definition, but we declined. It somehow felt right to just view her there as she was. They brought the placenta to us and I stroked her head and back and told her we loved her. Then the doctor announced to the nurse that the placenta was to be sent to pathology, but that we wanted it back for private family burial, as I had discussed with him before the birth. The nurse piped up and asked if we had to send the placenta off. The doctor said that I could refuse (my midwife was standing behind him nodding vigorously), and so I asked if we would learn anything from further examination. He basically said no. So I refused. The nurse brought a container, and we packed up the placenta to take home.

Dh and I spent a wonderful night with our new little girl, who slept in my arms all night (the nurses didn't say a word when they checked on me!) and in the morning the hospital staff began their incessant poking and prodding (my now biggest objection to a hospital birth.) In the course of this, they found that Ellen was something called Coombs (sp?) positive, meaning that dh and I have an rh incompatibility in our blood types, and some my my blood had mixed with Ellen's, who has dh's blood type, causing jaundice. We were sent home on home phototherapy, however, this didn't work as my milk didn't come in until yesterday and she would NOT drink formula and ended up dehydrated. (the light table breaks down the blood cells into a form that is elminated through waste, and baby needs extra hydration for this process) So, we ended up in the hospital again late Wednesday evening. Her billiruben levels dropped like a rock once she was hydrated, and now we are home for good - and no more light therapy!

I had no tears and am healing like gangbusters. Have almost stopped bleeding even. All in all, this was just an amazing experience. I feel like my body knew just what to do and took over for me. Unlike my first birth, where I was coached all the way, this time my support team just, well, supported me. I did the job myself. It was amazingly empowering. And the kindness of the hospital staff at two separate facilities has restored my faith in the medical system as well. I told my daughter tonight that her birth has healed me. She is an incredible gift, and I am loving every minute of being a mommy of two!

Thank you all for all your encouragement and support these last few months. You are all amazing women, and I feel very blessed to have traveled this path with you. Having been away from the boards for several days, let me just offer my congrats now to all who had their little ones this week! Happy babymoons to us all!!
10-29-2007 08:12 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Mamabearsoblessed:

My littlest cub has been born!!!! NAK!!!!!!


My daughter was born last wed. morning, October 24th at 8:04 am. She weighed 7 lbs 1.8 oz and 19.5". Labor was induced after a routine visit with my amazing m/w (which led to a nst and u/s, followed by induction) who would never dismiss my Mama's instinct. I was 39 wks. I am so thankful I listen to my inner Mama voice and my baby. She is here and she is safe. I thank God.
I am so very, very thankful.
Our labor was intense, amazing and pain med free. It was an incredible birth.
She is an amazing nurser and so beautiful. I am so thankful she is here.

~~~ birth story to follow~~~
10-29-2007 08:10 PM
wildgarden Reposted for Levismom:

It's a......


BOY! After stumping 3 people who had perfect records for baby gender predictions (and filling our changing table with pink layettes as a result!) we were surprised and shocked when our sweet baby turned out to be a boy! Though we hadn't had an ultrasound, I was utterly convinced it was a girl and just looked down a few minutes after the baby was born to confirm it, and then learned otherwise! Fortunately we hadn't given away all of Levi's hand-me-downs yet and are so thrilled that Levi will be able to grow up with a brother to have adventures with.

The birth was amazing and I feel so blessed to have the prayers and support of friends and family before, during and afterwards. I woke up at 8:50am Wednesday with a contraction and they started getting closer together by 9:15. I called dh Tim, one of my doulas, and my midwife at 9:30 to let them know things were progressing while my mom filled up the birthing pool upstairs overlooking the balcony deck and canyon views. I really didn't want to rush anyone over since I didn't know how long it would be before things really got going, but since each was a ways away, they decided to come as soon as they could, fortunately! Tim got a sub to cover his class and arrived at 10:45, Justine, my midwife and her assistant Christy rolled in at 11:00, my doula, Yvonne, came in at 10 after, and our precious son decided it was officially safe for him to enter the world at 11:25! Levi labored with Tim and I in the pool for a little while and then played with Grandma downstairs until a couple of minutes before the baby arrived, when he came up and watched it all happen with intrigue, greeting the baby with an introduction to his monster trucks. One of the highlights for me was gently pulling him out and onto my chest from the water, seeing how much he looked like Tim and Levi (in more ways than one, as it turned out!). His Auntie Kim and my other doula Regina arrived just after he did, followed by his other grandparents shortly thereafter. God totally hooked us up with great comfort and support, as well as all the roads opening up to our house the night before after the forest fires had cleared up nearby.

Here's a few stats for you:

Jack Timothy Kaleo Klein
Born on his due date (10-24), like Levi, weighing 6#8oz, like Levi, and 19 inches long, like Levi! His hair appears to be a little darker so maybe I had more to do with this than just the 9 month hotel stay, we'll see how he looks as he grows up!

Jack is named after his paternal granddad (John), who grew up as Jack (variation of John meaning "God is Gracious"), Timothy is for this hunk I know and love who is an awesome Dad and was a perfect support during my labor, and Kaleo is to honor his maternal grandpa's Hawaiian heritage and means "One Voice."

Here's a few pictures, too. I just made a little rough video for youtube,

Thanks again for all your great insight and support, mamas! Jack's off to an awesome start with good nursing skills. He just dropped his cord today which is nice. Having 2 baths already seemed to have helped that along.....

Much Love and Gratitude,

Tim, JJ, Levi, and Jack

"The gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life." Matthew 7:14
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off