Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Do you wear your outside shoes...inside? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-17-2008 12:07 PM
CanidFL These threads always get messy so I didn’t read the responses but I think it’s cultural.

I am from up north and it’s considered very rude to wear your shoes in someone’s home. I am now living down south and I ask people to remove their shoes when they come over.

I am finding that down south, it is considered rude to take your shoes off so I always ask before taking them off if I am visiting someone.

When people visit us. I say something like “please take your shoes off since DS plays on the floor and we try to keep it as clean as possible”. I have never once had an issue with it. Only one person ignored my request and I have yet to invite her back to my house.
12-17-2008 11:20 AM
GooeyRN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?
The shoes come off.
12-17-2008 10:49 AM
pumpkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post

Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?

It depends on the weather and the location of the item.
If my shoes are dry, I'll run into the kitchen or any area with hardwood while still wearing my shoes.
I absolutely do not go into the carpeted areas of the house with shoes on.
12-17-2008 12:40 AM
triscuitsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?
Depends on the time of year and what the flooring is... in our current house we have tile right inside the door so I'd run in the kitchen if I needed to with shoes. I would not go upstairs though because the stairs and upstairs are carpeted. In our apartment it was carpet all over so shoes came off at the door.

In the winter I won't even go into the kitchen or dining room. Shoes come off, it isn't worth the grossness.
12-16-2008 09:31 PM
2lilsweetfoxes I wear my outside shoes inside. I insist on wearing shoes, especially after dropping something heavy on my foot (thank goodness it just bruised, not broke) or the fact I keep stubbing my poor toes. I tried having "inside only shoes", but found it was too much a hassle to change them every time I had to run out, whether to take the trash to the dumpster or whatever. And once I get my boots on, they are not coming off until I'm done at work. My husband is the same way. The kids pretty much take off their shoes when they come in, but are not required to.

Question for "no outside shoes" families--if you forget something and have to run back into the house, do you remove the shoes or just go in and grab what you need?
12-16-2008 11:30 AM
Shannie77 We generally don't wear shoes inside but we aren't super strict about it. If I forgot something inside I will leave my shoes on when I run it to get it. If our guests don't take their shoes off we don't say anything, however most people I know do not wear shoes inside. The only exception to that seems to be when someone hosts a summer party and guests are going from inside to out. Then everyone seems to keep them on.
12-15-2008 11:15 PM
triscuitsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
I'm in AZ where it gets well over 100 degrees most of the summer and people who wear closed shoes and socks have a tendency to have athlete's foot since their feet don't breathe. It's really easy to catch, I've heard especially if you eat a lot of acidic food. Usually if they were socks it's not a problem only with the the barefeet.
*nods* But if they are in socks and shoes wouldn't they be leaving the socks on if they took the shoes off? (That's what I do and what I've observed here) If that's the case what's on their bare feet stays there, and if they are in bare feet their feet are more easily breathing and less likely to get athletes foot.

It gets humid and hot here in the summer... lots of days over 100F with the humidex. Still, I've never heard of someone catching it from a guest in their home... not saying it couldn't happen, just that despite everyone taking their shoes off inside here I've never heard of it.
12-15-2008 11:03 PM
lovbeingamommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
It's really fascinating to see the cultural differences... Foot fungus is not something that worries me in the slightest. I have never heard of someone getting it from a guest in their home walking barefoot (and in the summer that is what is done all the time here when people are wearing sandals).
I'm in AZ where it gets well over 100 degrees most of the summer and people who wear closed shoes and socks have a tendency to have athlete's foot since their feet don't breathe. It's really easy to catch, I've heard especially if you eat a lot of acidic food. Usually if they were socks it's not a problem only with the the barefeet.
12-15-2008 07:26 PM
a(TM)?Star We never wear our shoes inside. Our driveway tends to be muddy and gross. Also, dd eats everything off the floor-yuck!
12-15-2008 11:40 AM
talk de jour We wear shoes inside. We do walk around a lot in socks, but that's just a comfort issue.

It's a sensory thing for me, I need to put on shoes a lot inside, plus there is no comfortable area to sit down and put on shoes at the door -- we live in a split level, you walk in to a 3'x6' ish landing and there are stairs up and down.
12-15-2008 11:35 AM
triscuitsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
:

Oh, I totally agree with being barefoot. I mean what if a friend or something had a foot fungus : but generally people, at least in my house, are wearing socks. We also have comfy slippers for them to wear at the door. I spray them with Lysol if someone does happen to wear them being barefoot. We even have shoe covers for workers that would need to come in like plumbers or someone.
It's really fascinating to see the cultural differences... Foot fungus is not something that worries me in the slightest. I have never heard of someone getting it from a guest in their home walking barefoot (and in the summer that is what is done all the time here when people are wearing sandals).

On the other hand : is exactly how I feel at the thought of someone in my house with their outdoor shoes on... and yet, it must not be *that* bad because so many of you allow it. (Though I still maintain it really couldn't feasibly happen here in the winter time )
12-15-2008 04:40 AM
lovbeingamommy :
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I personally do not take my shoes when I visit anyone's house it makes me very uncomfortable naked almost to be barefoot or in socks when not at home. I will leave mine on even if everyone else has theirs off. Only been in that position once thank goodness.

Actually it was considered rude to take shoes off when visiting when I was little. Stinking someones house up with stinky foot funk : even if you wash daily most shoes do stink to a certain extent.

I am all for people having house rules and fine if you dont wear shoes in the house but I dont think it is nice to make someone feel forced to do something they are not comfy with.

Though how many people are uncomfy with their feet like I am probably isnt many.
Oh, I totally agree with being barefoot. I mean what if a friend or something had a foot fungus : but generally people, at least in my house, are wearing socks. We also have comfy slippers for them to wear at the door. I spray them with Lysol if someone does happen to wear them being barefoot. We even have shoe covers for workers that would need to come in like plumbers or someone.
12-15-2008 03:24 AM
MCatLvrMom2A&X We all do to some extent with the kids almost always in outside shoes inside. Ds even sleeps in them, 4yo not worth the fight to get them off.

I personally do not take my shoes off when I visit anyone's house it makes me very uncomfortable naked almost to be barefoot or in socks when not at home. I will leave mine on even if everyone else has theirs off. Only been in that position once thank goodness.

Actually it was considered rude to take shoes off when visiting when I was little. Stinking someones house up with stinky foot funk : even if you wash daily most shoes do stink to a certain extent.

I am all for people having house rules and fine if you dont wear shoes in the house but I dont think it is nice to make someone feel forced to do something they are not comfy with.

Though how many people are uncomfy with their feet like I am probably isnt many.
12-15-2008 03:09 AM
triscuitsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
No. Nobody wears shoes indoors here.
Same part of the world and I totally agree. I would be shocked if someone came in my house with shoes and got offended if I asked them to take them off... it just simply isn't done here as a rule (not that individual families might decide it's ok in their house, but it wouldn't be assumed to be OK at anyone elses house because the default is no shoes).

Shoes come off at the church nursery and our dentists office (they have slippers or you can bring your own) as well... just as two non-home examples.

I am looking outside and I cannot imagine allowing anyone to track the grey yuck (aka snow and rain mixed with mud) into my home where kids play on my floor. Blech!
12-15-2008 01:36 AM
lovbeingamommy ::::::::::

Seeing that almost 70% of you don't wear your shoes inside really makes me feel Now I can finally show this poll to my family and hopefully they'll start to realize that my family isn't weird!! A lot of other people do it too, in fact if I remember reading some of the posts correctly, some people said it's downright rude to wear shoes in a house in some countries. I think it was the places in Asia, and the Nordic countries. So YEAH!!!!!! Everyone for posting !!!!
12-14-2008 03:37 AM
Purple*Lotus We walk through grass to get to our door, so for that reason above others, we take them off. If I forget something and need to run in to get them, then no, I don't usually take them all the way off for that. I have Crocs that I wear inside, because those can be rinsed off, so if I wear them outside it is no big deal to clean them for indoors. I am not one to tell people to take off their shoes in my home, though. But we have guests maybe once every three months.
12-13-2008 01:45 PM
mags Oh, and about the dog issue and us being a shoe-free home. When we used to walk our dog outside, she would get her feet (and butt) wiped down every time she came back in. However, at one point we lived at a place, where the landlord could not figure out how to plant grass, so it was muddy, everytime we took her out, we practically had to give her a bath. I ended up litter box training her (she's a 10 lb min pin and was NOT a pup when I trained her). So, now she's like a house dog (which is fine, b/c she picks fights with other dogs when she goes out anyway and she hates going out if it is raining, snowing or cold). We use the exquisicat pine litter from Petsmart, her litter box is in the bathroom, so we can scoop used litter or poop directly into the toilet.
12-13-2008 08:19 AM
paakbaak i never wear shoes inside, and it makes me crazy when other people do.

PICS OF YOUR "SHOE PLACE"?
12-12-2008 08:32 PM
Tangled Hill I've always gone barefoot in the house because it was just more comfortable. However, I have MS, and it's recently done a number on my feet, so now I'm relegated to Crocs and Crocs only (haven't even found an off-brand that I can stand wearing). I haven't been able to afford more than one pair for work (I work a couple of days a week and need dressier looking shoes - we found some Crocs that fit the bill) and one pair for everywhere else. I can no longer walk barefoot anywhere, so the everywhere else pair gets worn inside the house, too.

The little one goes barefoot inside.

Dh generally wears his socks inside, but not his shoes.
12-12-2008 08:31 PM
Amylcd We take ours off, but we do not ask guests to take off their shoes.
12-12-2008 08:08 PM
kssinca I prefer not to wear my outside shoes inside the house. I grew up with having slippers for inside the house and shoes are for outside the house. Whenever we had small guests/family come over, we had guest slippers. But for bigger parties, we did not ask people to take their shoes off.

I have to have some kind of "shoe" on my feet... I don't feel comfortable walking around in socks/bare feet, even if the floor was freshly cleaned.
12-12-2008 07:01 PM
eurobin We were shoes inside, but I'm not bothered at all to remove shoes in someone else's house.
12-12-2008 07:00 PM
KBinSATX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2peyton View Post
We have a spot for our shoes just inside the front door. We usually take them off as soon as we step inside before we step onto the carpet. My DH and I as well as our two close friends are pretty consistent about this, but I won't freak out if somebody does wear their shoes inside.
Same here. I prefer to be in my own socks or barefoot though. I would probably decline wearing somebody else's slippers...
12-12-2008 10:35 AM
mamabain we don't wear shoes in the house. a few years ago i bought slippers and everything and made it a big deal.

my in-laws and grandparents never understood and would not wear my slippers.

all my friends do take off their shoes. all the children do.

but i gave up on my in-laws and basically anyone over 55 because they don't get it.

and they might need shoes to feel steady on their feet.
12-12-2008 01:46 AM
jrabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
The other thing that I've wondered about with the no-shoes rule is I get that it's supposed to cut down on dirt and grime, but what if you have an indoor-outdoor dog (like we do)? He tracks in more mud and leaves, etc, than anyone of us. He's got long fur and is a bit of a lowrider and we have a very wooded lot.
backing up for a moment, I will share my parents' behavior. They wipe the dogs' feet whenever they come inside from a long walk, a snowy or wet walk, or something like that. They have a carpeted mudroom (strange sounding), which also serves as a space for the dogs feet to get a little cleaner.

I understand your point, though - I actually have issues with my cat coming out of the litter box and tracking through the house! So, we have one of those cat mats outside the box.

--janis
12-12-2008 01:43 AM
cloverd I'm in Canada. We all take our shoes off at the door. Maybe because half of the year it is mucky snow outside!
12-12-2008 01:41 AM
jrabbit no way. My parents were influenced by Japanese culture, and my mom is an obsessive clean-freak. I find it disgusting to wear those dirty shoes in my house, but I have a really hard (REALLY hard) time asking other people to take their shoes off. I need to figure something out soon, though, because my kids are starting to have friends over more now, and I really don't like it. I am bare-footed in my house, mostly (or socks), and I really dislike having dirty feet & socks because of *other* people.

Besides that, I also insist that outside shoes be kept out of the bedroom and personal closets. There are untold numbers of contaminants and allergens on your shoes, and that's very unhealthy in your bedroom.

--janis
12-12-2008 12:34 AM
captain crunchy We don't wear shoes in our home. I would feel absolutely uncomfortable doing it -- we don't expect people to take off their shoes but we leave some hints in the way of us never ever wearing shoes, the shoes by the door, etc. I want to get slippers for people but I would never *insist* someone take off their shoes. Even when I had a crawling baby, if I don't think my unvaxxed kid can take a little dirt, what the heck did I do all that immune system research for, and why the heck didn't I vax?

Most people remove their shoes -- my mom and father in law don't but I think it is because they are unsteady on their feet and feel better in shoes (they are older) and not because they are jerks who want to track dirt in our home

For us though, wearing shoes in here would feel foreign and weird and stiff and just... odd... like wearing a huge parka in the house would or something.
12-12-2008 12:07 AM
tbone We're Indian and it's our culture to always remove shoes before entering a house.
12-11-2008 08:48 PM
oiseau

.

This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off