Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Question about grants. Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-21-2009 09:12 PM
DogwoodFairy Well, I'm not sure what state you're in, but here is some info about a tuition scholarship available to single parents for Oregon residents.
I think they also give away some scholarships in California. As for school grants and scholarships, I actually went to and filled out their questionnaire, which lets them know which scholarships and grants I am qualified to apply for. Some of those are based on being single.

Good luck. Its hard to find funding to support single-parent households. The government would rather fund the military, or the mating habits of Tasmanian ants or something
02-21-2009 02:37 AM
grisandole For tuition you need to fill out a FAFSA, and as a single parent you should qualify for some grants and a Federal Stafford Loan
02-20-2009 01:09 AM
InstinctiveMama Grants are awarded by a foundation. I have never seen a foundation that gives money to individuals. In fact, most foundations state in their public information that they do not give grants to individuals.

Government agencies have lots of support for individuals but I am guessing you knew that.

I would NOT pay $30 (or any amount of money) for a grant kit. To receive a grant you need to complete an application or write a letter to a foundation. I have worked in fundraising for several years and have never heard of a grant kit.
02-16-2009 08:35 PM
AlwaysByMySide Tuition grants, I thought you get after filling out a FAFSA. Utility grants go through LIHEAP here.

I think I'm confused, unless the gov't just started handing out money and I missed it! Hope someone has a better answer for you.
02-16-2009 04:12 PM
mommy_to_one Typically they are government grants that will help with anything from tuition to utility bills. But I just can't seem to figure the system out myself. I don't have much spare time (I'm not even supposed to be on here now) so it's difficult for me to search so I was hoping someone on here has had some success with them.
02-16-2009 04:04 PM
Rosehip I've never heard of them. Grants from whom, for what?
02-16-2009 03:51 PM
mommy_to_one Does ANYONE know anythign about obtaining a single mother grant? I have searched and searched, but all I can find are those "kit" they want you to buy, but I am skeptical of giving my hard earned money to a company I know nothing about. I know they are usually only like $30, but that is my dd Flovent perscription right there! I can't risk that on a maybe opportunity.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off