Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Ugh! Help, quick. Broken thermometer. Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-10-2013 06:16 AM

Hello - I know this is 6 years later, but I found your post because I am in the same exact position. 25 wks pregnant, broke a thermometer with red liquid, whole house stunk of strong odor. I was hoping you could tell me what the chemical ended up being and maybe assure me that your baby was born with no issues!

03-26-2009 03:23 PM
OceansEve Yeah, I'm glad I still had the packaging so I could read DOES NOT CONTAIN MERCURY, but the smell was bad, so I was just wondering if there was something else bad that could be in it. I've got a msg in to their customer service. We'll see if they call back.
03-26-2009 03:17 PM
sbgrace I just wanted to add...I panicked when I broke a red one when my boys were little. I was told red was ok, silver not. But I called the manufacturer anyway just to reassure myself. You have a package that assures you it isn't mercury. You can throw red thermometers in your trash without any precautions (not so with silver ones containing mercury). It's really not toxic. But I do understand the feeling!
03-26-2009 03:12 PM
sbgrace Red isn't mercury. It's not's usually alcohol with some dye to make it red. You coudl call the manufacturer and they'll tell you exactly what it is. Mercury also isn't a beads. I would wash my hands of course. Air things out if the smell is bothering you. But it's ok.
03-26-2009 03:05 PM
OceansEve The packaging says it doesn't contain mercury, but it smells petrolium based. I'm going to try to do some looking online to see if I can find exactly what, but WWYD? I'm 32 weeks pregnant, the red liquid got on my hands, my clothes, and I definately inhaled whatever was released cause the smell was bad. It is a cheape from wmart that I was using in my chicken brooder. Help?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off