Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Jude Avery is here!!!! Update with birth story. Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-17-2009 11:31 AM
Juliacat Congratulations, good job, and I love the name!
12-15-2009 07:41 PM
beebalmmama Update with birth story in first post. It took me awhile to get this posted. But all is going well and lying in with baby Jude for the first week or so has been heaven!
12-06-2009 06:56 PM
pjs Congrats!
12-06-2009 03:26 PM
jess152 Welcome wee boy!!
12-05-2009 10:06 PM
ShwarmaQueen Congrats mamma and welcome baby Jude!
12-05-2009 10:03 PM
ladyleah Congrats to you!!!!
12-05-2009 08:30 PM
greenthumb3 Congrats to you and welcome to Jude!
12-05-2009 07:52 PM
sebarnes Congratulations!
12-05-2009 07:49 PM
baby.fatty congratulations!!!
12-05-2009 07:47 PM
beebalmmama Jude Avery was born on Thurs, Dec 3rd at 7:00 am.
He was 8 lbs and 21 inches long.

Labor and birth went great and he was born at home in the water after about 6 hours of labor. We're both doing great and my milk came in this morning, so nursing is going well.

I started having some BH contractions in the evening, but didn't think much of it since I had them that morning and they went away every time I sat down. Nothing was really happening, even with walking around and so we went to bed.
I woke up at about 11:30 and had to pee and had a lot of bloody show and a huge blood clot, probably my mucous plug. I debated about calling my midwife because it was around 12:00 and I wasn't having any contractions.
I stayed up for about an hour to see if anything would get going. I started having some really mild but consistent contractions and so I called my midwife at 12:30. She said to rest if I could and call back if it turned into anything.
I couldn't sleep and they started coming very consistently about 6-7 minutes and lasting 30 seconds. Dh called my best friend at about 2:00 and she said she would come over. I soon got up after a few pretty uncomfortable contractions that I had to breath through. I got up to pee and had 3 contractions within about 7 minutes. Once I got off the toilet and had another one, I told dh to call the midwife.
She actually had another mother in early labor so I wasn't sure what was going to happen. My best friend showed up and by that time I was definitely working through each contraction and leaning over the bed. Fortunately the midwife and her assistant both showed up at 3:30. Contractions were about 3 minutes apart and lasting about 45-55 seconds. My best friend and dh were helping by putting pressure on my back.
I felt like I was handling it so much better than my first labor (which was a hospital birth). I was talking in between contractions and trying different positions which really helped. I started to moan through them a little when they became stronger. Dh had filled the pool but all the cool water had settled into the bottom and so they had to start heating up water on the stove to warm it back up. I was doing okay without it but was starting to get eager to get in.
I got in the pool at about 5:00. It felt really good and they continued to add hot water, which felt great.
Luckily this whole time ds was asleep in his room and didn't end up waking up until I was in transition around 6:20. He sat on the bed with my bf, Emily and he did really great. Only wanting to cover his ears when I started pushing and was a bit loud.
Dh was in the tub with me by then and I was kneeling and hanging onto him because the contractions were getting hard to deal with. (He did great!!) I started feeling pushy and changed positions to lean against dh. I wasn't sure if I should push yet but started to give gentle pushes with each contraction. (I ended up never having an internal check this whole pg or through labor) After a few of those there was no doubt I needed to push. These contractions were intense! (I don't remember a lot of pushing contractions with my first birth because it was all directed pushing and ended with an emergency episiotomy to get him out.) So working through these on my own just trusting my body was totally amazing and really HARD! I pushed for about 20 minutes and he was born in the water at 7:00 am. Totally pink and COVERED with thick vernex, he was creamy!
I did tear, probably along the epi scar tissue and had a couple of skid marks on the side. The worst was the hemorrhoid in the days following.
Everything has been great since. Nursing is going well. He sleeping good and we've all been home hanging out together.
I could not have asked for a better home birth!

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off