Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: The 2 month vaccine decision Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-04-2010 02:24 PM
billikengirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
One thing we are thinking about is getting DTaP boosters for me and DH, per ped's recommendation, to lessen the chances of baby getting pertussis. (Ped was not concerned about polio or hepB, but was about pertussis, Hib, and pneumococcal). However, I need to look into that before deciding... *Did anyone else do something like this??
DH got his Tdap booster before DS was born (they have them at the Walgreen's clinics) and I got mine when he was about 3 weeks old. My parents got boosters as well. I know the childhood vaccination immunity wears off--I got whooping cough in college.

I'm selectively/delayed vaxing and have a similar thought process about newborns as your ped, sounds like. DS got DTaP and HIB at his 2 month visit and will get the Prevnar at a shot only 3 month visit. I would have given him the DTaP/HIB/Polio combo Pentacel to reduce the number of sticks, but the Ped's office was out and he got the two separate sticks and I skipped the polio because it's low on my priority list. He also got the Rotateq at the 2 month visit but I was really on the fence about it and had decided to do it (since you can only get the 3 dose series if you start at 8 weeks) but to discontinue if he had any ill effects but he did not.

It's really really hard to decide. I have found the Sears Vaccine book helpful, but I just hate the whole "rolling the dice with my baby's health" feeling that making these decisions gives me.
02-04-2010 10:49 AM
ExuberantDaffodil My hb midwife gave me two doctor's names. One my mother knew to have rotten reputation in town, and I called the other doctor the day A was born to schedule her newborn checkup; the lady on the phone asked me at what hospital the baby was born. I said, "She was born at home early this morning." The receptionist said, "We don't take homebirth babies" and hung up on me. After having a crying fit, I frantically called the pediatrician I have used for my son since he was born, and she agreed to have us come in for the newborn check. But that practice will not accept patients who are not vaxed on schedule. So there goes my informed decisions.

re: pertussis -- my mom is a picu nurse and she sees this one and rsv the most and is the most concerned about those two.
02-04-2010 10:15 AM
akind1 It is a tough choice, but the thing is, you can't "un" vaccinate; once they have their shots, there is no undoing them.

As for how I found out about peds; I asked my midwife and she marked some on their general ped's list that she thought were open, she said you can ask the nursery nurses, as they get the question alot, and if you see a chiropractor or know one, (especially one that has kids), they will often know too, of some that are at least a little open minded.

Our ped also seems most concerned about pertussis. but since there is not a sep. vaccine that is just that . . .and there would be addititives and crap I don't like in it anyway . . .I WAH the majority of the time, and DS isn't out much, and we take what precautions you can. I'd rather do that, than deal with a reaction to a vaccine.
02-04-2010 03:14 AM
november I can't decide WHAT I'm doing. :0( I started out very pro-vaccine, just not on the current schedule. But the more research I do, the less inclined I feel to vaccinate her at all. I am scared of the diseases but I'm also scared of the vaccines' reactions and injection my precious, perfect daughter with *junk*. Sigh. This is far and away the most difficult decision I've made so far.
02-03-2010 11:49 PM
mariacm We're not vaxing at all, for the foreseeable future. If I read or learn something at some point that convinces me that X vaccine is worth the risk, that may change. For now, we're exclusively breastfeeding, SAHM'ing and keeping ourselves healthy and doing lots of handwashing for prevention.

One thing we are thinking about is getting DTaP boosters for me and DH, per ped's recommendation, to lessen the chances of baby getting pertussis. (Ped was not concerned about polio or hepB, but was about pertussis, Hib, and pneumococcal). However, I need to look into that before deciding... *Did anyone else do something like this??
02-03-2010 10:38 PM
Leewoss Maddy already had her 2 month vaccines and no issues. After her being in the hospital in NICU, I am taking no chances with her. My larger concern was the selective RSV shot...I had never even heard of RSV but after researching it and finding out what can happen to babies like mine who are at risk because of her lung issues/intubation at birth - I feel 100% good about my choice. I didn't realize that what appears as a common cold for us could be so deadly to infants and since DH and I both teach, I know I would bring it home sooner or later...
02-03-2010 05:43 PM
belltree
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
I'd love to know where you all find these pediatricians who are fine with delayed/selective/no vax!
via a suggestion on the tribal board for my area on MDC
02-03-2010 01:34 PM
ExuberantDaffodil I'd love to know where you all find these pediatricians who are fine with delayed/selective/no vax!
02-03-2010 02:10 AM
mcgee Officially we are delaying/selectively vaxing. Unofficially... I don't plan to inject anything into DS. I'm just waiting for DH to come around and decide that not vaxing is really his idea.

DD (age 3.5) was vaccinated on schedule through her 2 year well baby exam, and I wish I hadn't done it. I don't plan to continue her vaccines at her 4 year well child exam.

I am in Texas, and we have a lose philosophical exemption available here, so that's what we're doing for preschool. I've already checked with the director at her current school, since it's a private school, and they are fine with the state's exemption form.

It was only AFTER we decided not to have DS vaxed that my mom said, "Oh, yeah, you and your sister both had bad reactions to DTP." Gee mom, that would have been nice to know three years ago when we let our daughter's pediatrician pump her full of chemicals. Our current pediatrician, btw, is totally fine with us not vaccinating.
02-02-2010 03:45 PM
Shell_Ell Not vaccinating. I was a little nervous about getting him into the "system" but found a lovely Dr who actually did a home visit for our two month appt. Vaccine injury is a real risk in our family, so we're not even chancing it again. Thankfully our Dr agrees.
01-30-2010 11:22 PM
Truckerdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post
What do you do about daycare? I ask because that's the situation I'm in. I go back to work in March and want to delay vaxing the first year, but don't feel like I have options since I don't SAH.
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about how that might inform a person's decision re: vaxxing.
01-30-2010 07:29 PM
DCMama01 What do you do about daycare? I ask because that's the situation I'm in. I go back to work in March and want to delay vaxing the first year, but don't feel like I have options since I don't SAH.
01-28-2010 09:51 AM
Youngfrankenstein We actually have our 2 month well-baby visit today and so far she's had nothing. I am going to talk to ped about delaying the vax. Honestly, I don't want even the temporary side-affects to mess with my sweet little babe. I don't think I could handle it emotionally. We're just getting to a "good" place with our lives and I don't want to throw a wrench in it.

He's willing to talk and has been fine with me delaying and skipping vaxes before so I don't think it will be a problem. The hardest part is now the first vax they want to give is a 5-in-1....so much at once.
01-27-2010 01:35 AM
Sleepyheaded_Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
Ugh...this is the hardest decision in parenting babies in my opinion. Not to mention the source of many sleepless nights for me.

I had DD fully vaccinated. It was 15 years ago and I didn't even question for a second.

With DS1, I spent so much time and energy focused on the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding that I sort of let the vaccine thing become an afterthought during the first year of his life. He had all of the vaccines on the schedule and on time for the first 12 months. Then I started doing more research and decided that I wanted to space out the remainder of the shots and skip the mmr and chickenpox altogether. We moved at this point and had to get a new ped for his 18 month checkup. I declined all vaxes at that visit.
She was fine with slowing down the pace, but then DH lost his job, we had no insurance, so we just never went back and got any more shots.

This time around DH had done his own research and he and I were in agreement that we'd do a selective schedule based on the risk/benefits we felt most comfortable with.

Then I had a uterine rupture during labor and suddenly I lost the ability to take comfort in ANY statistic or odds. I was/am 100% convinced that if we don't vax, he'll contract a vaccine-preventable disease and die. I'm also 100% convinced that if we do vax, he'll sustain a severe vaccine injury and die or be damaged for life.

The night before his 2month check-up I was a wreck. DH and I had decided that he'd get the dtap and hib only. I was still nervous, thinking it was too soon, but also knew that I was dealing with some ptsd, so relied on DH to be my compass.

So he got the dtap and hib and I immediately had a panic attack and felt regret. For the next week he was a different baby. He cried all the time. Stopped sleeping. Went from being happy and content to constantly miserable. I was sure I had damaged him for good and I cried right along with him and just kept apologizing. Then his regular personality came back and he's been back to himself since.

DH and I just decided that we need to hit "pause" and wait til I get a better grip on myself before we make any more vax decisions. I just feel frozen in my tracks and literally don't know what to do. So we're going with the "Doubt means Don't" theory until we get some sign from the universe or at the very least some clarity. How I wish for the bliss of ignorance I had with DD. I wish I didn't know anything about vaccines or their risks or benefits. No matter how much I read I am STILL unsure. I hate this feeling. *sigh*
Every. Single. Word.
Except my PTSD is still lingering six years later. AND I have analysis paralysis. And a major insurance SNAFU. So for now, no vaxing for baby Brenan. I like that "Doubt means Don't".
01-26-2010 08:21 PM
Tattooed Hand I'm doing delayed/selective. DD has been dealing with allergy issues so none until those are resolved, until she's at least a year old, if not 2. Maybe when she begins daycare, which will probably be 1yr and 9 mos. Then we will do DTaP, Polio, HIB, and maybe MMR spaced out from each other. Maybe way later we'll do Hep B. We travel to the middle east, South and Southeast Asia, so that's a concern.
01-25-2010 10:58 PM
belltree Another delay and very selected vaccer here

So far we haven't done anything. If we would have to use daycare and I couldn't fully breastfeeding we would have done the hib. But until then we won't be doing anything until later. Tetanus is important to us as well, but that won't be necessary until later, as he is not surrounded by risk factors.
01-25-2010 10:34 PM
ldsmom06 We were going to do a delayed vax schedule but dd#1 got vax's at her 2yr check up and 4-5 hours later she turned blue and was gasping for air. She started breathing again but was shaking for about 5 minutes after it seemed like forever. Dh had given her claritin about 20-30 min prior. It was so scary so now I am a little leary to ever get a vax for my kids again. I vax ds until the MMR-varicila vax he hasn't got that.
01-25-2010 09:09 PM
ShwarmaQueen We are doing a Dr Sears type seletive/delayed. We visit Africa yearly and so the risk of transmission is very real to us.
01-25-2010 08:22 PM
MamieCole Ugh...this is the hardest decision in parenting babies in my opinion. Not to mention the source of many sleepless nights for me.

I had DD fully vaccinated. It was 15 years ago and I didn't even question for a second.

With DS1, I spent so much time and energy focused on the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding that I sort of let the vaccine thing become an afterthought during the first year of his life. He had all of the vaccines on the schedule and on time for the first 12 months. Then I started doing more research and decided that I wanted to space out the remainder of the shots and skip the mmr and chickenpox altogether. We moved at this point and had to get a new ped for his 18 month checkup. I declined all vaxes at that visit.
She was fine with slowing down the pace, but then DH lost his job, we had no insurance, so we just never went back and got any more shots.

This time around DH had done his own research and he and I were in agreement that we'd do a selective schedule based on the risk/benefits we felt most comfortable with.

Then I had a uterine rupture during labor and suddenly I lost the ability to take comfort in ANY statistic or odds. I was/am 100% convinced that if we don't vax, he'll contract a vaccine-preventable disease and die. I'm also 100% convinced that if we do vax, he'll sustain a severe vaccine injury and die or be damaged for life.

The night before his 2month check-up I was a wreck. DH and I had decided that he'd get the dtap and hib only. I was still nervous, thinking it was too soon, but also knew that I was dealing with some ptsd, so relied on DH to be my compass.

So he got the dtap and hib and I immediately had a panic attack and felt regret. For the next week he was a different baby. He cried all the time. Stopped sleeping. Went from being happy and content to constantly miserable. I was sure I had damaged him for good and I cried right along with him and just kept apologizing. Then his regular personality came back and he's been back to himself since.

DH and I just decided that we need to hit "pause" and wait til I get a better grip on myself before we make any more vax decisions. I just feel frozen in my tracks and literally don't know what to do. So we're going with the "Doubt means Don't" theory until we get some sign from the universe or at the very least some clarity. How I wish for the bliss of ignorance I had with DD. I wish I didn't know anything about vaccines or their risks or benefits. No matter how much I read I am STILL unsure. I hate this feeling. *sigh*
01-25-2010 08:16 PM
seasiren It seems to me to be such a personal choice, and after reading your posts it seems everyone is coming up with quite different choices. We are definitely delaying the vaccines as I am much more afraid of autism than chickpox, just not sure till when. I am thinking 2years old as that is when I plan to breast feed until and that is when the blood brain barrier seems to be less vulnerable to neurotoxins. Thanks for sharing.
I have done quite a bit of research and one thing I can't find are personal stories of people who delayed vaccines or gave non at all and regretted it because their child got debilitating polio or what not. Any insight? Thxs ladies I hope you are enjoying your little ones, mine is sleeping...
01-25-2010 07:26 PM
siennaflower Very delayed and very selective here too. Unfortunately she did get the 1st Hep B shot at the hospital because I was induced early due to complications and I didn't have my ducks in a row yet, but that will be the only one for a few years at the least. And then I will only get the ones she must have for school.
01-25-2010 07:14 PM
SunShineSally selective delay over here we will do all of them just not as many at one time like they want. my ped is open to not vaxing or delaying he asks on the first well visit are you vaxing or no? then talks to you about your choice hes great!
01-25-2010 07:00 PM
mommy2two babes Very delayed and very selective.
The only one we will do when he is around 3-4 years will be the DTPP and if it was optional to break it up I would do less.
01-25-2010 03:17 PM
CarrieCo Not vaxing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-25-2010 12:35 PM
ExuberantDaffodil I had really wanted to do an alternative schedule this time (my son is vaxed on schedule), but the ped we use is not open to anything other than the normal vax schedule, which is disappointing to me, but I've done my research and had decided to vax anyway. I was just hoping to follow the Sears schedule.
01-25-2010 12:23 PM
beckybird We are not vaxxing either!
01-25-2010 11:57 AM
Sonneva We're not vaxing at all. We researched to the hilt with our DD and made the decision after months of reading and talking. It was a really hard decision, but we feel very confident in it now.

I totally feel that you need to do whatever works for your family.
01-25-2010 11:40 AM
Cellist My strong opinion is that the benefits of providing all vaccines outweigh the risks of them for a healthy child. Since my child is healthy at this time, I'm providing all vaccines to him. Your needs may differ!
01-25-2010 11:19 AM
JohannaInDairyland Pre-emptive

Just kidding. We're planning on doing the full vaccine schedule, with the first Hep B vaccine at this appointment, since we delayed it at the hospital. DH and I had many conversations about this, and feel this is the best decision for our family.

I totally respect other mamas who decide to not vax/delay or selective vax - even though I had a full course, my mom stopped vaxing with my younger siblings.

If anyone is still struggling with their decision, I would highly recommend Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book - lots of good info on each vaccine (both pro and con, all the reported side effects, and controversies if applicable), along with delayed, selective, and alternative schedules. It helped me understand what each vaccine was and how it was made, etc.
01-25-2010 10:21 AM
akind1 We are not vaxing at all. Suprisingly, our ped is ok with this, just keeps giving us info on vaccines and how great they are - (I need an eye-rolling smiley) We really like the doc and the practice otherwise, so we take the articles, but still no vaccines.

- Katrina
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off