Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Asher is here! Very nearly born in the car! Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-26-2011 11:04 AM

Great story! The car must be the worst place possible to be while pushing, but your DS will probably think it's a cool story when he gets older. I was also in denial about how far along in labor I was until (surprise!) I was pushing. Too bad your MW wasn't at the hospital the whole time-the doc sounds jerky. Congrats and happy babymoon!

01-26-2011 10:45 AM


Asher's Birth Story
The day before his birth I had a appt with my midwives and talked to Wendy who caught my DS. She was on call the next day but we talked about the next weekend I'd probably be calling. For some reason I felt the need to have her check me and I was a tight 3cm and 60% effaced. I thought that was pretty good news. She also suggested I see the Chiro for a quick little good position insurance adjustment. I called and he got me in that evening so I went over and he did a few things and showed me some pressure points for labor. He said I can't guarantee this is going to do anything but hey if your ready lets give it a shot.
At 3:30am the next morning I woke up really uncomfortable and realized I was having crampy contractions that were keeping me awake. I got back to sleep but at about 6am they were too uncomfortable to lay though and so I got up made myself breakfast and texted my doula Mari. They were scattered about and seemed to sometimes be so far apart it seemed like they'd just go away like they had before. I got back to sleep for a few hours and then got up for the day.
All day I had contractions, nothing to write home about though, they were in no pattern, not intense and I just went about my day. I put on the TENS unit at about 3pm and had it on most of my labor.
My son had a school fundraising night at Sport Bounce and I thought it would be good for him to get out since he hadn’t had school all week. The contractions seemed to get a little more intense there but I attributed it to being the worst place to be in early labor ever. We left early and Greg picked up some food on the way home. I kind of knew we were going to actually have a baby soon when I turned down Five Guys in favor of some soup at home.
It wasn’t long after we got home, about 6:30 or so that I told Greg he should call his Aunt who was coming to watch DS and call our Doula to see how soon she could be there. Mari our doula said she could be there at 8pm and Tammy was going to leave and be there at about 8:30 or so. At about 7pm the contractions got very intense and I recognized it as being actual active labor. I had it in the back of my mind to call Wendy who was on call that night but I still thought that I could be laboring well into the night and pushed the thought aside with the next contraction. So we didn’t call her!
There were a few contractions before Mari got there that were very tough to get though and I spent some time working to get comfortable. I had nice breaks between them although they were about 2 minutes apart, I felt pretty good for a minute or so once I recovered. I never had a break after my water broke in early labor with my DS so I think I thought I still had some time.
Mari arrived at about 8pm and started helping me though contractions and trying different positions. Probably at about 8:30 things really picked up and there were a few that were very very hard to get though without getting a little panicky. Probably about 8:45 Tammy arrived and started asking questions when she came though the door, I started having a contraction and couldn’t get it together because of the talking. I pretty much lost it for the remainder of the contractions because of the noise. I had a couple and Mari said we should think about heading to the hospital soon. I hadn’t thought of it but agreed with her. Greg came back up from taking a bathroom break and I told him I wanted to go ahead. Everyone started getting stuff together and the next contraction my water broke and I felt an immediate need to push and got very very vocal. I yelled that my water broke and that I was pushing and Mari said we either needed to get to the hospital now or have the baby at home. Everyone rushed me to the car and I got in the seat before I had another contraction, we were pulling out at about 9 or so. The next contraction I could feel his head come down and started getting freaked out that I was going to have him in the car. I pretty much tried my best not to screamed though contractions and tried not to push on the way there. Greg went about 80 the 5 minute drive and even went though a light I believe. I could feel his head come down during a contraction and then slip back up after. I was a totally rational person between them but a crazy person during!
On the way over Mari called Wendy our midwife on call and also called ahead to the hospital and told them I was in active labor, my water had just broken and I was feeling pushy. Later on Wendy told us that it somehow translated to me being in labor and “uncomfortable”.
We arrived at the hospital in about 5 or 10 minutes and when we got there they rushed me in and got me a room. I didn’t have a contraction until I got up in the bed. I was at the place where I could let go but it was still really hard to do. I got into a sort kneeling against the back of the upright bed position. For some reason that seemed the right way to be although the OB on call wasn’t happy about it. They were trying to get the babies heart rate and couldn’t get it that position so they made me flip over, she checked me and said “oh the baby is right here”. All I could think of was DUH! I flipped back over because being on my back was way too much. I had maybe another one or two contractions and the OB and nurses all wanted me to flip over again, I wasn’t able to move at all during contractions and not very motivated in between. The OB got insistent that I turn and the nurse started to try and help me over but I clung to the side of the bed and felt down because I thought I might be able to put a little counter pressure to help me turn. When I felt he was crowning and they got me flipped over and with a little push from me his head was born. One more push and he was here!
Wendy made it there just in time to save me from getting a stitch from the OB on call and to help me deliver the placenta! I really couldn’t believe that he came that fast, he surprised everyone.

Asher Kingston didn’t have a name until the next day when we decided on it . He was 8.5 pounds and (later measured accurately) at 21 inches long. He was born at 9:18pm, active labor picked up at about 7pm so it was a very short active labor and pushing phase!

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off