Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: For fun...you know you're the parent of a toddler if... Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-26-2011 06:50 PM
anjsmama


 

lol.gif  I actually DID get rid of the majority of our clothes for this reason exactly. And I also assigned laundry duty to DH ..... hey! I do everything else....redface.gif I can't even imagine trying to FOLD laundry while my kids sit there and unfold it..??

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post





yep. I constantly have a mountain of clean laundry waiting for attention. 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

The phrase "he let me get the dishes done" is cause for celebration.

You are glad your child is still RF in his carseat so you and DH can have a "date" without your LO noticing (for us, this means running through the DQ drive-through for a Blizzard).  It was good, too.

You end emails with "would have written more, but he's up from his nap."

You feel like you have done more by 7 a.m. than many people do all day (that's an old Army line, I believe...sorry I swiped it, but it's true on some days!).

You know that people who use the phrase "sleeping like a baby" likely are either not parents or are people with very, very short memories.

You have seriously considered getting rid of the majority of your clothes since it seems you are never able to complete the following cycle within a 24-hour period:  wash, dry, fold, put away.



 

08-25-2011 09:05 PM
Marissamom

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

You have seriously considered getting rid of the majority of your clothes since it seems you are never able to complete the following cycle within a 24-hour period:  wash, dry, fold, put away.



yep. I constantly have a mountain of clean laundry waiting for attention. 

08-25-2011 07:38 PM
McGucks

The phrase "he let me get the dishes done" is cause for celebration.

You are glad your child is still RF in his carseat so you and DH can have a "date" without your LO noticing (for us, this means running through the DQ drive-through for a Blizzard).  It was good, too.

You end emails with "would have written more, but he's up from his nap."

You feel like you have done more by 7 a.m. than many people do all day (that's an old Army line, I believe...sorry I swiped it, but it's true on some days!).

You know that people who use the phrase "sleeping like a baby" likely are either not parents or are people with very, very short memories.

You have seriously considered getting rid of the majority of your clothes since it seems you are never able to complete the following cycle within a 24-hour period:  wash, dry, fold, put away.

08-25-2011 07:20 PM
sunnygir1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

your house could be in some reality show about dirty and messy homes

 

(or IS that just me?)


Nope.  I thought it was just ME.  I hear people talk about their messy homes, but none of my mom friends seem to have as grimy a house as I do.  I mean, every surface below three feet needs scrubbing with something that cuts grease and removes stains (kitchen and bathroom cabinets, refrigerator, walls, dishwasher, oven, chairs, doors, etc.)  It's embarrassing, really.  I'm relieved when we have people over after sunset because they can't see how dirty the windows and walls are.
 

 

08-25-2011 03:27 PM
Marissamom

that reminds me, I'm supposed to be cleaning...

08-25-2011 12:10 PM
amberskyfire

LOL! And getting to clean house is a "special treat" to yourself.

08-24-2011 11:31 PM
amommyTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

your house could be in some reality show about dirty and messy homes

 

(or IS that just me?)


Haha, NO its definitely NOT just you.. I have a large family and still have school aged children as well as HS graduates.. and my daughter tells the kids they should be on the show hoarders!!! hahahaha

08-24-2011 09:44 PM
kfillmore

your house could be in some reality show about dirty and messy homes

 

(or IS that just me?)

08-24-2011 09:29 PM
amberskyfire

- you have to walk very quickly past the toy aisles at the store (as if they won't notice)

 

- all of your drinks have sediment in the bottom because there's no way you're going to get to drink it all by yourself without your little backwashing partner to help you

 

- you look longingly at women with newborn babies and then say to their poor frazzled faces "gosh, I miss those days. They were so easy back then!" happytears.gif

 

- you have to keep your special treats in the top of your bedroom closet instead of in the kitchen pantry

08-24-2011 08:34 AM
Comtessa

YKYTPOAT if:

you are reading this thread with a nursling in your lap

you have a  permanent crick in your shoulder & back from nursing in your computer chair

 

08-24-2011 07:23 AM
sosurreal09

ROTFLMAO.gifWow.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amommyTTC View Post




Wait until he is ten and graduates to a tape measure.. Just to make sure he is measuring up at 10!!! Where did he come up with that one? ROTFLMAO.gif

 



 

08-23-2011 03:45 PM
amommyTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

You find yourself saying things like "We don't put the flashlight on our scrotum." Oh the joys of having a boy. lol.gif


Wait until he is ten and graduates to a tape measure.. Just to make sure he is measuring up at 10!!! Where did he come up with that one? ROTFLMAO.gif

 

08-22-2011 07:12 PM
FrugalGranolaMom

You find yourself saying things like "We don't put the flashlight on our scrotum." Oh the joys of having a boy. lol.gif

08-22-2011 11:41 AM
McGucks

I have never seen the show YGG, but googled Muno and think he looks like Gumby.

 

I know I am a parent of a toddler today because I started a conversation with "I found a bunch of oats stuck to his testicles this morning."  That opener just wouldn't have been possible pre-toddler.

 

 

 

08-22-2011 05:23 AM
allisonrose

-You go out and buy more undies for your child rather than argue that only one pair of undies is needed on the bum at a time.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by devasma View Post

My younger (childless) sister wondered if Muno was ribbed for her pleasure.  



Glad I'm not the only one to think that character is a bit phallic in appearance. (I think the term is studded...)

 

 

 

08-21-2011 07:00 AM
devasma

My younger (childless) sister wondered if Muno was ribbed for her pleasure.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmama View Post

 

 

4. You discuss children's shows with your partner, but put an adult spin on everything. "Muno from Yo Gabba Gabba looks like a giant dildo..." "Dora and Diego are so flippin' bossy! They're always like, "Flap your arms like a bird! FLAP! FLAAAAP!" or "I wonder if the Fresh Beat Band members ever sleep with eachother..."

 

 



 

08-20-2011 06:57 PM
Dazedstella

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
- you haven't bothered to buy furniture for your new living room yet because you now you'll never be able to sit down anyway (yes, this is totally our house right now. What's the point?) lol.gif


until last week our living room had only a dingy old couch (that had been painted with avocado, colored on with crayon and pen) and two of those pottery barn toddler chairs... we finally bought a very gently used glider rocker last week so we have ONE nice chair to sit in. None of it is in a style or color or type that I would actually CHOOSE if I didn't have said toddler...bag.gif

08-20-2011 03:37 PM
amommyTTC

You remind your little boy that there really is such a thing as a bathroom, and we are not camping so no need to pee on a tree! 

You walk in to find a toddler who has finger painted with their diaper and smiling about it 

You know in an instant when the dog is yelping that your toddler is somewhere near by

You wonder why you bought a stroller since your child is NEVER actually in it.. (to hold the diaper bag maybe)

You find you have wandered through the day with a sucker stuck somewhere to your leg! 

08-20-2011 11:35 AM
amberskyfire

- You can't see your refrigerator anymore even though it's now the most colorful appliance in your home for all the papers, paints, glue and magnets.

 

- You've been around the world and seen every single bunny/kitty/chick/duckling/hedgehog viral video out there and you STILL think that teenie-weenie underwear are OMG THE CUTEST THING EVAR.

08-20-2011 08:28 AM
Blessed_Mom

Yes - and most important of all - you know you are the mom of a toddler if you now have the magic powers to kiss any booboo away!

08-19-2011 11:29 PM
olivesmama

1. You feel like you're fluent in ASL because you can carry on conversations in sign language with you 21 month old. Mind you, the convos are usually like this; "Where ball?" "Ball hiding!" "Here ball!" "Catch!"

 

2. Waiting for food in a restaurant, you'd think nothing of discussing a decorative pig collection over someone else's table, just to avoid a tantrum. (From a respectable distance of 5 feet, of course.)

 

3. You have a permanent fort in your living room to avoid having to put it up and tear it down every day.

 

4. You discuss children's shows with your partner, but put an adult spin on everything. "Muno from Yo Gabba Gabba looks like a giant dildo..." "Dora and Diego are so flippin' bossy! They're always like, "Flap your arms like a bird! FLAP! FLAAAAP!" or "I wonder if the Fresh Beat Band members ever sleep with eachother..."

 

5. If you go through a disaster once, you never go through it again. Now you haul a backpack around with a first aid kit, 2 changes of clothes, their favorite doll, wipes, a booboo buddy, their favorite music, a swim suit (or snow suit and extra warm clothes, depending on the season), books, crayons, chalk, sunscreen, nail clippers, hair bands, barrettes, a toothbrush, washcloths, extra sippy cupin case the first one gets thrown out the car window or in the river, and then some toys to fill in the empty space.

 

6. Your toddler has you trained to do a perfect rendition of almost any animal in existence, immediately upon seeing said animal. Every. single. time.

 

7. You feel the need to kiss every booboo you see. You resist the urge unless its actually your child. Most of the time.

08-19-2011 11:33 AM
mominmotion

1.  Your potted plants are a great source of fun for the toddler & new puppy!

2.  You just leave the bathroom door open now to save them the trouble of fiddling with the door handle.

3.  Your bed has to be a king size in order for the two- & four-year olds to climb in with you & your spouse in the middle of the nite.

4.  Having a fence around the backyard for your 'zoo' is a necessity!

5.  You can sing every word to the SpongeBob Squarepants intro.

6.  Going "out on the town" now means carseats, wipes, Happy Meals and a G-rated matinee so you're back home by 7:00 for baths & bedtime!

7.  It takes a year to read a book instead of the 3-4 days it used to take when you weren't interrupted constantly!

8.  "But Mom!" becomes your name.

9.  You get really good at putting together Lego sets, dressing tiny dolls - but forget those damn Transformers!!!

10.  You never, ever leave the house without kleenex, wipes, snacks, water bottles, crayons, coloring books, music etc...etc...

08-18-2011 10:46 AM
mt momma

Turning requests into songs DOES WORK!!  Keeps the kiddo listening and keeps mommy from freaking out!!!!  We also say goodbye to things in song (Good bye swings, good bye sand, we'll see you again some day!) lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandybutter View Post

* You wear swim goggles and funny hats around the house to keep the mood light

 

* You turn every request into a song (it works!)

 

* The 5 second rule of safely eating food off the flour is now 5 hrs

 

This is fun!  I'm sure I'll think of more.  Love the responses so far!



 

08-18-2011 02:12 AM
amberskyfire

- you sometimes forget how old you are because you don't have time anymore for your own birthdays, then realize you probably don't want to remember the number anyway

 

- you don't listen to music anymore because given the option between ten minutes of your favorite band and silence, you find the silence far more valuable

 

- your right shoulder is lower than your left because you get yanked down every ten seconds so your toddler can pick up something (inevitably nasty) they found on the ground

 

- you haven't bothered to buy furniture for your new living room yet because you now you'll never be able to sit down anyway (yes, this is totally our house right now. What's the point?) lol.gif

08-17-2011 06:45 PM
lifeguard

These are all so great!

 

-Your day is circular conversation after circular conversation "no cook the eggs" "I have to cook the eggs, they'll make you sick raw" "no cook the eggs"..... about every aspect of the day.

-When you finally get to run errands or nap or take a bath... all alone you either feel guilty that you need to return as soon as possible or you feel bad you are wasting your "alone" time doing something so mundane.

-When you ask your toddler why he pinches/hits you all the time he looks lovingly into your eyes & says "I love you & just HAVE to" & you accept that as an acceptable answer.

08-17-2011 09:47 AM
Dazedstella

-you end the majority of your phone conversations by interrupting whatever story they are telling you to hang up on them while quickly saying "gotta go, so sorry, bye".

 

-you find yourself all dressed up for mama's night out with your girls, checking on plans, standing alone on your front porch because your husband is currently putting toddler to bed and if you make your presence known you won't be going ANYWHERE.

 

-you all get dressed up for said mama's night because it's so exciting to get out of the house together without toddler, in fact, frequently you get more dressed up for mama's night than date night with DH.

 

- her bath time is your MDC time.

08-17-2011 05:59 AM
Comtessa

... Elmo's piercing voice haunts your dreams.

 

... poop in the potty is a special occasion that warrants calling everyone you know to celebrate.

 

... childless people complain about how little sleep they got last night, and you laugh in their face.

 

... you call your mother "Grandma" more often than you call her "Mom"

 

... you awake at night to your spouse's plaintive cry, "where am I supposed to sleep?" and you blink at him over the heads of your sleeping offspring and whisper, "I don't care, just don't wake them up!!!" 

 

... you spend most of each phone conversation saying to the person on the other end, "Oh, no, she's fine, I don't have to hang up.  Really.  That's a happy shriek." 

 

... you can't remember the last time you had an entire conversation on the phone without your toddler a) unplugging the phone cable, b) tugging the phone away from you to "talk", c) having a temper tantrum, or d) destroying something to get your attention

 

... you know exactly what your child is doing in the next room by the sound of whatever is breaking... and you decide not to intervene because whatever she's breaking is one more thing you can declutter

 

... you summon up huge enthusiasm for any games involving looking out the window (watching cars drive past the house, counting birds on the front yard, looking for clouds) because it means you can sit still on the couch for a few minutes

 

... you plan to leave the house for a morning shopping trip and you finally get out the door at 4 pm

 

... "we don't" is one of your most frequently used phrases

 

... you actively boycott restaurant chains that do not have changing tables in their restrooms. 

 

... you send angry letters to managers of restaurants that have changing tables only in the women's restroom (ooooh, just thinking about that one makes me see red)

 

... you have embarrassed the living daylights out of your DH by sending him into the women's room to change a diaper just to prove your point

 

... you go on a 'date night' with your spouse and spend the entire time talking about funny things your toddler did that day

 

... you have resigned yourself to the fact that most of your kitchen utensils, hairbrushes, clothes, books, trinkets, furniture, and tools are now toys.

 

... your spare set of sheets has used as a 'tent' so often that your child throws a fit when you make the bed with them ("NO tent on bed, Mama!!")

 

... you have to argue with your screaming toddler every morning as you get dressed, "No, honey, these aren't your underwear.  They're Mama's.  No, really, I'm not wearing your underwear.  No, I'm not taking them off so you can wear them.  Go get your own underwear." 

 

... you sneak out of bed before your child is awake and get dressed in the bathroom in order to avoid this conversation. 

08-17-2011 04:59 AM
sosurreal09

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomleopard View Post

you know how to correctly pronouce zaboomafoo and have a preference for one of the brothers!! haha



I just had to google that LOL

08-16-2011 05:07 PM
randomleopard

you know how to correctly pronouce zaboomafoo and have a preference for one of the brothers!! haha

08-16-2011 04:15 PM
bumpsmom09

I'm a newbie here but this was hilarious and I needed a good laugh.

 

1) if your alarm clock has been replaced by a not so gentle finger poke between the eyes with the not so soothing sound of MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY..Are you up?

2) you have foresaken your water bill to let said toddler play in the sink or shower for 15 minutes of "me" time...

3)if the word no has lost all meaning in your house.

4)you just go ahead and order off the kids menu because they won't eat unless its out of your plate.

5)you have forgotten what peace and quiet sounds like...

This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off