Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: Betamethasone—do we have to wean? Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-23-2012 09:58 AM

That's a great resource--thanks! I will give them a call. 

10-23-2012 09:51 AM
womenswisdom Call the phone number at the Infant Risk Center at Texas Tech University. Dr. Hale (who literally wrote the book on breastfeeding and medications) runs the department and their hotline is there to ask questions just like this. I would imagine it would be fine, since generally topical medications are not well-absorbed systemically and have a very low transfer rate into the milk.
10-23-2012 09:28 AM

Hi mamas. I could really use some help. I've just been prescribed topical Betamethasone cream and the doctor was concerned about transfer to my DD. I checked in with her pediatrician who said it was fine, and I have a call in to the office's lactation consultant, but I'm feeling worried. 


Does anyone have experience with this medication or know of a good place I can find out if it's compatible with nursing? My DD is 2 years old, and while her nursing is beginning to wind down, weaning suddenly would be incredibly difficult. I need to start the medication as soon as possible; I can delay maybe a month, two at the absolute most, but it would be better to start it immediately. I will be taking it for the foreseeable future. 


Slight TMI warning here: I am applying the cream directly to my genitals—does anyone know if that increases the possibility of transfer through my milk?


Thanks in advance.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off