Mothering Forums - Reply to Topic

Thread: wash face w/honey - infection question Reply to Thread
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-27-2007 03:12 PM
Naturalyst *Most* bacteria can't grow in honey because of it's low water activity. Bacteria that drop into honey give up their water and die. Also, there's a hydrogen peroxide effect with honey that's not bacteria friendly.

That said, a few things can survive in honey. For example, dormant botulinum endospores. Normal, adult stomach acids take care of those endospores. But, children not yet on solid food don't have enough stomach acid and ingestion of the endospores can lead to botulism.

I would toss what you are using now, if you've possibly transferred contamination from you to the honey - just to be on the safe side. And, if you have concerns, you can buy a pasturized honey - though, even pasturization won't kill boltulim. There is a difference between honeys too - some are more antibacterial than others, depending on what the bees were eating. But, all-in-all, it is not likely the honey caused your infection.
07-27-2007 02:32 PM
perl Okay honey-washing gurus, here's a question for ya...

I recently "upgraded" to a new bottle of raw organic honey. I think it's unfiltered and isn't liquid-y like ones I've used before.

Several days after starting the new bottle, I've gotten a stye in each eye. One was progressing to cellulitis with enlarged lymph nodes and I had to start antibiotics. :

However, I've also got some other skin issues going on (perioral and periocular dermatitis - cause unknown). So I'm trying to use the most gentle cleansing methods available to keep inflammation down.

Do you think the honey could be contributing to the eye infections? Or is something else going on? Wah - this sucks.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off