Mother’s Day may look a little bit different this year…okay, it looks a LOT different this year. That said, we can still honor our Mamas with a little bit of creativity, a whole lot of love and some links to pretty awesome presents we think she’ll (you’ll) flip for.
Two nights ago, I heard my 9-year-old son tell my husband, “Daddy, we better get on the ball with a Mother’s Day gift for Mama. This Coronavirus stuff is making a mess of things.”
I have to agree, son, I have to agree.
For many moms, COVID-19 has brought terms like mitigation, flattening the curve and social distancing into their vocabularies, and with different definitions of how we may be celebrating this special day for moms. We’re most likely not going to a special church service because there’s no large gatherings happening. We’re most likely not going to have special Mother’s Day brunches at our favorite restaurants, and we’re most likely not even going to be the recipients of those adorable macaroni necklaces our kids make for us in schools because, oh, yeah…schools are closed too. We’ll most likely be talking to our own moms and grandmoms via Zoom or Facetime or Google hangouts, and that’s if we’re lucky enough to all have the technology to do so.
But, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t ways we can be celebrated or celebrate each other, and we want to offer a few so you’ll still feel the love!
Things Your Kids Can Do With You And For You For Mother’s Day
Your kids want to spoil you; you’re their mom and surprising you or making you happy gives them joy. Really, it does! But sometimes they need a few nudges on how to do so. Here are some ideas you can offer to your kids so they can feel like they’re doing something for you and you get the benefit of the together time!
- Plan a movie date. Give them a list of your favorites or even cue up on Netflix or AppleTV for them and then let them get a comfy setup together for you. Blankets, popcorn and a squishy sofa to snuggle and watch together will be a Mother’s Day memory you’ll keep forever. Spoiler : So will they!
- Bake a sweet treat together. First, if you want the day OFF, do this the day before so you can ENJOY on Mother’s Day. Whenever you do it, teach your children how to make one of your favorite desserts and then enjoy it together. Again, memories that are priceless for you and the kiddos.
- Let them put a photo book together. We love the new photo books Paper Culture has just launched, as they’re made from 100% post-consumer recycled paper. They include a personalized book jacket and a foil-embossed stamp tree ring because with each book ordered, a tree is planted! Your kids can choose their format and your digital photo albums (you know you have them) and you’ll get the important moments from their point of view! All while they’re helping plant trees!
- Let them record videos for you. Put the technology we have to use and let your children make Mother’s Day videos for you. Depending on their ages, they could even create skits and record for you to enjoy year after year. If your littles are too little to do much else than answer some questions, consider recording them as they answer ones like the following. There are tons of variations of this list, but here are some of our faves:
- How old is Mommy?
- What is something Mommy always says to you?
- What makes Mommy happy?
- What makes Mommy sad?
- How does your Mommy make you laugh?
- What was your Mommy like as a child?
- How old is your Mommy?
- How tall is your Mommy?
- What is Mommy’s favorite thing to do?
- What does your Mommy do when you’re not around?
- What does your Mommy do best?
- What is your Mommy’s superpower?
- What is your Mommy not very good at?
- What does your Mommy do for a job?
- What is your Mommy’s favorite food?
- What makes you proud of your Mommy?
- What is your Mommy’s favorite color?
- What do you and your Mommy do together?
- How are you and your Mommy the same?
- How are you and your Mommy different?
- How do you know your Mommy loves you?
- What does your Mommy like most about your daddy?
- Where is your Mommy’s favorite place to go?
- How old was your Mommy when you were born?
- What is your Mommy’s favorite game?
- What do you love the most about your Mommy?
- If you don’t want them to record videos, you can still have them fill out a fun questionnaire like they might at school. We found this free one at Juggling With Kids.
- Let them plant a tree! We love the concept behind ClickATree. It basically lets you make sustainability easy–you simply choose the tree to plant, and ClickATree plants it. They make sure that everyone receives fair remuneration as they go holistically and sustainably full-force to help climate change, create habitats and find people full-time jobs. And you can do it from your house!
- Let them create art. Yes, we know how messy that sounds. But, if they’re not going to be able to make you something at school, pull out all your crafts, baubles and accessories and let their little imaginations go wild as they create something special. We promise, you’ll treasure it, despite the mess! Some of our favorite art always involves handprints. If you’re so inclined, let your littles check out these handprint art ideas and go to town!
- Speaking of art, let them treat you to a virtual art class right there in your home. We’ve done several of these virtual paint events and they are SO much fun! The kids can order your supplies and just let you have 2 hours of adult time and awesome art!
- Breakfast in Bed. It’s tried and true, and kids love doing it for you. So you may eat a piece of Dave’s Killer Bread with globs of jelly and a side of lukewarm tea for breakfast, but you can guarantee it’s made with love!
- Volunteer. One of the best ways to bring about happiness is to give it away, and there’s nothing like serving others in need. Talk with your family about some volunteer opportunities that you can do as a family for your Mother’s Day wish.
The Best Mother’s Day Gift Ideas During A Pandemic
The thing is, it’s still fun to get gifts on Mother’s Day too, right? It’s not so easy for littles to ‘go shopping,’ or even for us to go shopping for ourselves (ahem, as is often the case, right mamas?). So here’s a list of some pretty incredible Mother’s day gift ideas that you can share with your family so they can surprise you. Sort of.
Look, when you have a portable bidet, the worry about no toilet paper on the shelves is far less, trust us! Your bum will stay fresh, clean and you’ll be green, using less toilet paper. Today? That’s a win-win, and you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
This is a gorgeous new twist on an old classic that’s 100% made in America of eco-friendly recycled landfill-bound plastic containers. That’s right–recycled plastic containers that were on their way to the landfill are turned into this gorgeousness that you can enjoy even while you’re social distancing. It’s built to withstand all climates and has a 20-year warranty and we LOVE the companies commitment to making America beautiful! Really, if we’re slowing down and staying home, let’s do it responsibly and in style!
And hey, if you’re going to be outside trying to maintain some sanity, whether it’s walking or gardening or just sitting on your front porch taking in some Vitamin D, you’ll LOVE the Bug Bite Thing. It’s perfect to suction insect saliva/venom from under your skin if you’re bitten so you don’t scratch yourself raw. It never expires and it’s chemical-free, and oh, it works!
If you really want to let them pamper you (or you just want to pamper yourself!), then let them check out this system from Z Skin Cosmetics. Founder Ryan Zamo’s father grew up in Hungary, and told him stories about how they’d heal skin with herbs and oils. Ryan decided that the best remedies came from ancestral beginnings, and using his father’s Hungarian traditions coupled with his mom’s insight into using herbs and oils from all over the world, they created the secret to perfect skin, right from Mother Nature. All organic, they use herbs and oils that come from all over the world, combining all of the best of global cultures to heal skin issues like acne, psoriasis and eczema and even battle signs of aging.
We love Epic Water Filters and this glass water bottle will help Mama’s water be the freshest, cleanest it can be. Their filters remove over 70+ contaminants and the glass bottle means no concerns about leaching of anything. Epic Water Filters is also a proud contributor and strategic partner of the Inland Ocean Coalition (IOC) who works to raise awareness of the impact that microplastics (single-use bottles and straws) are having on our rivers and oceans.
Founded in 2017 by Connie Lo and Laura Burget, NIU BODY is 100% plant-derived, with no artificial ingredients. Every product contains high concentrations of actives, with no filler ingredients and are formulated according to strict EU safety standards. Every item in the NIU BODY collection is packaged in 100% recyclable and reusable boxes and bottles. Mindfully produced to ensure the utmost quality and care, NIU BODY cleansers, serums, masks, mists and scrubs are certified cruelty-free and made with 100% vegan ingredients.
We love the Glow Luminizing Facial Serum as it leaves your skin so radiant with Vitamins A, B, D and E in camellia seed oil.
You may not be able to make it to the spa, but you can try this incredible spa experience right in your own home. Dry body brushing has its origin in ancient Ayurvedic practices and the Prana Dry Brush is made with extra-fine ion-charged copper bristles that will create negative ions and protect your body from free radicals. It can also help stimulate natural lymph flow and that will make your body more effective at purging toxins and pathogens from your body. You can use it twice a week and feel like you’re in a spa every time.
Andalou was the first Non-Gmo Project Verified beauty brand and they’ve always been committed to uplifting people and the planet. It’s reflected in their products and we love that they’re organic, gluten-free, sustainable, fair trade, cruelty-free and nature-derived. We’re in love with their CannaCellGlow Mask, which exfoliates deep down in your skin, and their Sensitive 1000 Roses Rosewater Mask that will hydrate and soothe sensitive skin while it also uplifts tone with pomegranate. The hyaluronic acid and aloe vera will help revive your skin’s moisture barrier and it’s another spa treatment you can enjoy whenever you want!
We know that mamas are famous for changing the world, right? One little heartbeat at a time? Well, with Conscious Step Socks, we can change the world one step at a time! These ethically-made organic cotton socks are made with non-toxic dyes and are Fairtrade, Vegan certified. And, each pair you buy has a cause–for every pair sold, Conscious Step Socks donates $1 to its nonprofit partner! Pick animals, the ocean, trees, meals, books…the opportunities for saving the world are endless! And, for our Mothering readers, they’re giving 20% off your order with the code MOTHERING20!! Go get lots!
Want a Mother’s Day walk on the beach collecting sea glass? This gorgeous Beachcomber spa package gets you pretty close! The bag is from Sea Bags, an eco-friendly designer and manufacturer of stylish totes made from recycled sailcloth and the spa products are from Planet Botanicals, which uses sustainably harvested Maine seaweed to create organic, luxurious, plant-based skincare.
We think these are AMAZING during this time of social distancing and figuring out how to continue to connect with each other! These cards help you practice empathy and enhance connections. They’re made with ethical labor and paper supply and they’re a great way to help bring each other closer as you can play digitally or over the phone with friends and family! GENIUS and gorgeous and a whole lot of fun too!
This is a great way for your children to get you something gorgeous and trendy, but personalized too! Each piece is hand-forged and stamped for an organic feel and shape, and each one is customizable. They’re made of high-quality sterling silver, 14kt gold-filled or 14kt rose gold-filled metal and they’re beautiful!
When Cleure founder Dr. Flora Stay was a dentist first practicing, she didn’t feel 100% comfortable recommending any toothpaste on the market because they were full of JUNK. She created the first flavor-free, fluoride-free toothpaste for sensitive teeth and she expanded the Cleure line with the same goal of getting rid of harmful ingredients that are allergens and irritants. Cleure strives for ingredients with integrity and none of the products are tested on animals. The majority of all packaging is recyclable and the ingredients used are not harmful to the environment. Plus, they give back in big ways!
Their products are rated SAFE by EWG’s Skin Deep and the Eye Repair and Correct Cream is a must-have for these days when mamas are looking a bit worn and weary…because let’s face it, we’re worn and weary!
Root’d is out to make a difference in your world–at home and across the globe as they’re working to clean up 10 million pounds of plastic from the Earth and seas in the next ten years. Less than 5% of their total packaging is plastic, and their long-term goal is to produce all packaging plastic-free and sustainably. As they do, they are planning to plant 10 million trees! And that’s just a side gig! They offer fizzy vitamin drinks that keep you from swallowing pills or sugar-filled gummies and they got sick of an unregulated supplement field that was full of harmful chemicals and inaccurate information. Nutritionists have formulated their vitamin drinks and make it easier than ever for you to get your energy levels in gear for these different days!
Here’s another organic way to pamper yourself! Fork & Melon organic body wash and lotions are made in a Southern California certified organic facility that is 100% powered by wind energy! All their non-toxic products are free from the junk that is bad for our bodies, and they use a signature ingredient–watermelon seed oil–to pamper your skin every day, or in an indulgent bubble bath since it’s Mother’s Day!
From Master Herbalist Paul Schulick, who was also the founder of popular New Chapter Supplements, this skincare line was developed with 100% active and whole ingredients. It’s a unique wellness line that has seven flagship products–featuring waterless, fermented cleansers, prebiotic essence sprays and CO2 extracted serums that help support our body’s largest organ–the skin. This Awaken Eye Serum helps brighten, smooth and protect our under-eye with a cooling roll-on applicator and an assortment of volcanic CO2 extracted actives. It’s heavenly! And, the ingredients in the Sentient Skincare™ line are Certified Organic and non-GMO, Certified Vegan, certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny, and certified non-toxic by EWG Verified™ and MADE SAFE®.
We know how amazing Vitamin C is, and how rich in it Camu Camu is. That’s why this Camu Cream from Luxe Botanics is amazing! It has potent organic concentrations of the Amazonian superfruit and supports cellular energy to help dark spots disappear, and your glowing complexion come back after being healed from environmental damage. Luxe Botanics gives back in their sustainability commitments, by providing continual financial support to those they work with. They also partner with Buy 1, Give 1 and when you buy a Camu product, you’re helping give nutritious meals to Ethiopian nursery school children.
Doesn’t it feel great to get into a soft and comfy bed at the end of the day? That’s why we love these organic bamboo sheets from Luxor Linens. They’re designed to be long-lasting and luxurious, and they’re wrinkle-resistant too! They’re eco-friendly, and they just get softer and softer with each wash. Trust us, Mama, you deserve these! And, you can monogram them to make them even more indulgent!
SeaWitch Botanicals only uses essential oils and NEVER any synthetic fragrance of any kind in their solid perfumes, and we think this blend is delightful. Sea Witch Botanicals is on a mission to keep the world’s waterways healthy by providing natural products that are good for you and good for the environment. They’re certified B Corp, Vegan, 1% For The Planet, and Towards Zero Waste. They’re also community-driven, supporting local businesses in numerous ways and giving back to environmental charities and nonprofits. Fun for you, good for the planet!
We don’t normally recommend CBD-products since there are so many different kinds and needs, but that’s what we sort of love about The CureCrate! You can take a quiz to see what products may fit you best, and then you’ll be sent a selection of rigorously-tested CBD products just for you! If you’ve been thinking about CBD-based anything, this is a super neat way to try and have products delivered each month if you want!
We love that this family-owned company was founded by a woman who was on a search for footwear that was tough enough for outdoors, but fashionable too. All materials used are vegan and the company is working toward full sustainability in materials and manufacturing in the future. As well, they are donating sandals to homeless shelters across the country as they can, in light of COVID-19 restrictions. They are cute and comfy and a great treat for yourself for Mother’s Day or any day you like!
We can’t leave dog mamas out, so we wanted to tell you about PureEarth Pets Subscription boxes. You can order one or a few months at a time for better value, and you’ll get boxes packed with earth-friendly toys and treats for your doggo. Because fur-babies count too!
And if you REALLY want to match with your dog, you can do so with ease in a way that utilizes recycled clothing and turns them into designer clothes for you and your dog! These waterproof vests and jackets are perfect for dogs and their mamas…for whatever weather comes your way. Una Terra combines conscious consumption and fashion while they save the Earth and protect animals at the same time!
Yes, we know. This may be the most unique Mother’s Day you’ve ever had. But we can make the most of it, with lots of good family time and any of these fabulous items to help us get through.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.